• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreadhalls impressions.

So yeah. They haven't improved the graphics and lighting much, but they have improved both. Also, it's not 100% setup for playing standing, but I'd still recommend it. With positional tracking standing and physically turning around seems to be less nausea inducing. You have to tweak the controls to make sure they are move in the direction you are looking, and I'd recommend snap turning for when you get tangled up in the cable.

Basically, I would remember which way I was looking. Turn so the cable was behind me, and then hit the back button to recenter, and then snap turn in game so I was facing the same way again. Doing this at the start of every area meant that I didn't have to really do it again during that area. It still beats playing it sitting down though.

What is dreadhalls though? Well it's a scary ass game. You have to explore a randomly generated dungeon filled with monsters and find an eyeball, which unlocks the next area back in each small hub. So far I played through the first hub up to the second, so about three dungeons if I'm remembering right.

There is no defending yourself, only running. Each monster has its own quirks. There are those you shouldn't look at. Those that your light wards off. Those that will attack you if they can see you so you need to turn your light off. Those who only see motion... etc etc.

There's one monster that Doctor Who fans will see the inspiration for that is especially scary. At least for me.

There's a story and a mystery of sorts, pieced together via various notes and by these weird stone faces who you can pay to answer one question. Your lantern consumes oil, and some of the doors you encounter are locked. You open them by holding down the A button to fill a meter. You can use lock picks to speed this up. You use these by waiting for two arrows to align and hitting RB. You can sprint for a while with RT but you will get tired and slow if you do this too much.

When you look down you will see a map that fills in as you explore.

There are these larger open halls in most levels that are safe areas where you can catch your breath and let your heart rate get back to it's resting speed.

There's also a mode that just throws you into a randomly generated map for when you want to make your friends suffer.

Graphically the game isn't much, but that doesn't undo how scary it is. The sound design is solid and I'm pretty confident that there is going to be at least one type of monster that's going to scare you. It gets very tense, but there are moments of release to help it from getting too much, although the randomly generated nature of the levels can sometimes leave you stuck between all sorts of nasties.

When playing it standing, you really need to stay on the spot as best you can, as walking away from where you last recentered just leaves your invisible body behind. You can lean to peak around corners, but since the lantern stays with your body, what's around the corner will be generally cloaked in shadow.

For ten bucks, and considering that there aren't any other horror games on the Rift yet, I'd say this one comes recommended to anyone who wants to test out how healthy their heart is. If you're prone to motion sickness play it standing with snap turning. Any game that can get me swearing outloud in the middle of the day is something I'm going to enjoy... but the only draw here are the scares, so if that isn't your thing, give it wide berth. If they are your thing, it delivers.

Alright, I've got to tidy the kitchen a bit, then I'll play something else. Probably Project Cars next.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I found that you'll want to adjust the world scale options in Project Cars. The default makes everything feel too small. The cockpit of the car just isn't natural. By bumping the value up somewhat, it's possible to fix the sense of scale.

viveks86

I found that you'll want to adjust the world scale options in Project Cars. The default makes everything feel too small. The cockpit of the car just isn't natural. By bumping the value up somewhat, it's possible to fix the sense of scale.

Have you run any benchmarks for it? It seems that a lot of people are now able to crank up the settings due to ATW, but it would be interesting to see how they are actually performing under the hood. Is it even possible to know the framerate without ATW?

acksman

Well I was a 26 order and just cancelled my pre-order. Think I will hold off until early next year and see what all happens. I love being an early adopter, but this time I will sit on the sidelines a bit and see which solution matures the best.

I'm about to fire this up. Do you remember what values you used?

Korezo

Can you see the road ahead of you clearly? With the dk2 it was impossible for me to drive because the image quality was so terrible when you looked ahead. I'm hoping the cv1 doesn't have that same problem.

Soi-Fong

I'm hesitant to get games in the Oculus store that are already on the Gear VR. I guess I kinda don't see a point.

Main games I'll be playing on the Rift is Adr1ft, Lucky's Tale, Eve Valkyrie, Ethan Carter and my main-go-to-game, Elite Dangerous.

Can you see the road ahead of you clearly? With the dk2 it was impossible for me to drive because the image quality was so terrible when you looked ahead. I'm hoping the cv1 doesn't have that same problem.

I had no such trouble on DK2 with Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa. Loss of IQ was more than offset by increased depth cues.

I'm hesitant to get games in the Oculus store that are already on the Gear VR. I guess I kinda don't see a point.

Main games I'll be playing on the Rift is Adr1ft, Lucky's Tale, Eve Valkyrie, Ethan Carter and my main-go-to-game, Elite Dangerous.

I've heard cross buy is coming for at least some titles in the near future. But I am impatient. Being able to walk around inside the shark cage in Ocean Rift, or lean in to look more closely at the world in Herobound are the reasons I wanted to have these titles on CV1.

Enk

makes good threads.
There's one monster that Doctor Who fans will see the inspiration for that is especially scary. At least for me.

The first time I played this, back when it was a demo for the DK1, I remember when I first came across
the statue and the first thing that popped in my mind was "You know it would be awesome if they had a Weeping Angel-like statues in this game". I walked around the the room, down a hall, turned around, and the statue was standing right behind me!
Scared me shitless! As someone who watches a ton of horror films and plays a lot of horror games I rarely ever get scared by them. Something about the personal and encompassing nature of VR just takes these things to whole different level.

Project Cars then.

So I busted out my G27 and fired up PC for the first time. From my experiences playing AC and Dirt Rally I know that you genuinely want to turn off all the assists etc, even if you aren't very good like me. You need to remove all the layers of abstraction you can in order to feel as much like you're driving a real car, so make sure you do that.

Also, I only tweaked the graphics up a tiny bit, by turning on some shadows. I tried it with things a bit higher and AST or not, I could still tell that the frames were dropping since everything is always in motion. You see it on the other cars and the track pretty clearly. The main graphical problem I saw was some Z fighting on a couple of billboards the looked more like glitches than anything else.

I haven't played this game before, so I decided to match things as closely as possible to how I play AC. So, I grabbed a powerful open wheel Lotus and jumped into a track I've raced on in AC, namely Monza. First of all it's a prettier game than AC even on whatever lower default settings the VR version gives you. Although with bright skies on some of the levels it's genuinely hard to tell what's an ingame effect and what's just the Fresnel lenses. Either way it's an annoyance on tracks with bright skies.

Handling... I'm far from an expert but I felt more in control of the vehicle here than I do in AC, and I have to say I prefer AC in that regard. I've never driven a 60s Lotus so I don't know which is more realistic. Still plenty enjoyable but I didn't feel as on the edge of losing control as I did from AC and that knife edge between speed and losing control is what really makes racing sims sing for me.

That said it's not a massive difference in that regard... and the prettier visuals are definitely nice. Visibility in the distance is much better than on the DK2, and I really like that they've got a bunch of point to point tracks in here... The track variety seems better than whatever AC came with (ignoring mods). I've always loved point to point road racing so yeah, very happy that they've got some of those here.

I can't say that the scale felt off for me. It was a little tricky to get my wheel lined up with the ingame one, and reseting my view seemed to put my head a tad too far back on the driver's shoulders, but once I had it, I had it.

After a few hotlaps I jumped into a race with other drivers. Performance held up, although I did terribly. I'll need to play this more to get good, but like I said, you really need to play games like this with clutches and full manual and all driving assists off to get a true sense of the car and driving.

I don't say that because I'm good at these games, I'm not. It's a VR thing more than anything else.

My biggest issue right now is continually stalling the car from a standstill. There doesn't seem to be a button for ignition so I keep resetting the car to get the engine going again. I'll have to check the bindings to see if I can bind one, because there's a lot of useless buttons bound like turn 90 degrees to the left and the right. Definitely not needed for VR put it that way.

It's a pretty game, that plays well, though not as well as AC. Force feedback is really good espescially in VR. Driving with a wheel is fantastic. If you get this you need to get a wheel. I'm happy I picked it up, but I think once Dirt Rally and AC are updated that I'll play this the least of those three. Not because the VR support isn't great... it really is... but because it feels a shade less dangerous and that's what drew me to racing sims in VR when they'd never interested me outside of it.

Great car and track selection though. I'll be taking the Caterham superlight out on the highways of California again, that's for sure.

Just played Adr1ft for about an hour.

No motion sickness issues I'm happy to report. I thought it would be a really tense experience, but it's actually quite peaceful. I had soured on this after the IGN review, but then I saw Tested playing it last night and it won me over again.

This breaks a lot of VR guidelines, but that's why they're guidelines and not rules I guess. I believe in games like this and Ethan Carter where you explore large environments in VR, despite many people thinking that they are just a train right to motion sickness. Most of my favorite games have a really strong sense of place, and so I don't want to believe that it's room scale or bust... and Adr1ft really helps cement that there are absolutely ways to offer up unique VR experiences without motion sickness.

So what guidelines does it break? Well it takes control away from you at times. And it's a game where you control yourself entirely in first person with a joypad. There's no playing this one standing. Heck this one lets you spin yourself any which way because you're in zero g.

But why I think it works is that everything is gradually done. You want to meter out your oxygen supply (which due to an EVA malfunction is a shared resource between your breathing and your suit). You can press X to reach out for things, and it works really well. I've seen people saying motion controls would be great for this... but frankly I don't know having played it. It can't let you walk around your environment because you're floating and that wouldn't work with the central gameplay mechanic... so do you really want a motion control just to reach out for things when you can't lean closer to get them?

Eh, maybe you do... but I don't see it as necessary.

The other thing that helps with motion sickness is probably your space helmet. Despite only taking up a tiny amount of your periphery, it helps make you feel like you are inside something, almost like a cockpit. Since you're piloting your EVA this sort of makes sense.

The visuals are really nice and the music is ambient and chilled out at least so far. I like the game's lack of direction. You have to use environmental cues to find your way about which I appreciate. Again perhaps not something for everyone, but the feeling of floating around in space is wonderful... and the weightless physics are really good. Sometimes I've accidentally bumped something that's sent the air canister I'm after spinning away from myself.

It's probably a good thing that it isn't really Gravity the game, as much as it still reminds me of that. It's more like... I don't know, Silent Runnings or something. I don't feel desperate or trapped, but I feel incredibly alone.

It took me about an hour to reach the first component of the four you need to repair the escape pod, so I think claims that this is a four hour experience or so might be on the money. There's a degree of exploration and audio logs to be found to rewards those that do... and they're actually really well done so far. I was oddly touched by the logs of the an estranged father vowing to do better by his wife and daughter. Hearing his daughter's music recital as I drifted through space was a stand out moment.

I don't know that I'd recommend it above Ethan Carter, but it probably gains more from VR than Ethan does. Ethan's mysteries however are bit more tangible, and it's puzzles a bit more interesting than Adr1fts focus on quiet exploration and reaching out for that next oxygen cannister.

But I'm glad I picked it up. It's a great showcase of what VR can do for a game. In 2D I don't think this would really have much going for it. In VR, suddenly you're really there. Up there all by yourself.

Anyways, I'm probably done with impressions for the day. Going to eat and then it's almost time for WrestleMania STAR.

viveks86

Looks like someone has decided to splurge on games again :p

Thanks for the impression, man. You are making the wait even harder!

charpunk

I really want to try project cars but $50 is way too much when I'm not super into car games.

My phone tried to autocorrect that to project cats. That I would pay $50 for.

How "simmy" is Project Cars? While I'm definitely a simulation flight kind of guy, I'm not as hard-line with driving sims. I'd like to play a racing game though.

Soi-Fong

Can plagiarize comment on graphics options for PCars? Do they limit the options like in some of the games like Ethan Carter or they have full options. Just want to be able to push my 980 Ti without getting frame hitches.

Excited to play it with my G27.

viveks86

How "simmy" is Project Cars? While I'm definitely a simulation flight kind of guy, I'm not as hard-line with driving sims. I'd like to play a racing game though.

Been playing the regular version just to warm up and it's quite simmy. Probably not to the extent of Asseto Corsa, but the handling is way more realistic (and scary) than Driveclub, which is what I was playing for a long time.

Can plagiarize comment on graphics options for PCars? Do they limit the options like in some of the games like Ethan Carter or they have full options. Just want to be able to push my 980 Ti without getting frame hitches.

Excited to play it with my G27.

Every setting that is already there is still available and affects the visuals and performance. Even with a 980 TI, it appears that you won't be able to max out the game and hit consistent 90 fps without ATW kicking in to make it playable. They plan to support further scaling through VR SLI, but right now SLI doesn't offer any scaling, though it works without a hitch.

nakedeyes

Banned
Anyone know the deal with Dirt Rally? I own it and had heard there was some sort of support.. I found this link and attempted to follow the directions, but they weren't really working for me, and the Rift was just displaying the Home UI shiz.

Flandy

Has anyone tried this with an i7 2600k? I know it technically should be good enough but I'd like to know for sure. If you could add the clockspeed its running it that'd be great too

Anyone know the deal with Dirt Rally? I own it and had heard there was some sort of support.. I found this link and attempted to follow the directions, but they weren't really working for me, and the Rift was just displaying the Home UI shiz.

Did you put the command "-VR" in the launch options (Dirt Rally>properties>launch options from your library).

Looks like Europe's getting some orders processed. Orders placed up to 4:06 at the moment.

That sounds like a big batch. Not sure how big the entire order pool of Europe is though.

Edit: sounds like some Canadian orders getting processed too. -:02. So before official preorder time.

Riptwo

Has anyone tried this with an i7 2600k? I know it technically should be good enough but I'd like to know for sure. If you could add the clockspeed its running it that'd be great too
I'm using mine with a 2600k @ 4.6ghz and everything seems to work fine thus far!

nakedeyes

Banned
Did you put the command "-VR" in the launch options (Dirt Rally>properties>launch options from your library).
I did not try that. Will give it a shot. Others saying it can't be done with CV1, which I believe, but I'll give this a quick go.

Finding the big bummer about this somewhat unique launch where dev kits were being used as the product itself for a few years: finding any info about CV1 rift stuff is near impossible as it's mostly just a flood of 1-2 year old DK1/2 info! :/

I did not try that. Will give it a shot. Others saying it can't be done with CV1, which I believe, but I'll give this a quick go.

Finding the big bummer about this somewhat unique launch where dev kits were being used as the product itself for a few years: finding any info about CV1 rift stuff is near impossible as it's mostly just a flood of 1-2 year old DK1/2 info! :/
Couple search tips: in Google after doing your search, there's a Search Tools button where you can limit results to the last week, month, or year. Also, in your search terms if you put a minus next to something, it won't return anything with that term. For example, search for "Dirt Rally oculus rift -dk2", you'll get all the results that include the words Dirt, Rally, Oculus, and Rift but do not include the word dk2. However, there will be valid results that may have your answers yet also mention dk2, so better just to limit the search to the last week.

Flandy

I'm using mine with a 2600k @ 4.6ghz and everything seems to work fine thus far!

I tried Overclocking once but was missing an option in the BIOS. I'll have to try again I guess but even then I fear I won't be able to OC it that high D:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice. It would be nice to have my KS Rift too, you know, Oculus. xD

Yeah this. I hope they haven't paused our rifts to appease the preorders (although I love you guys too)

The literal silence from oculus (KS don't seem to get the apology or April 12th emails), and HTC not wanting my money has made this week horrible (been in full on anticipation mode since last Monday)

TheBear

Project Cars then.

So I busted out my G27 and fired up PC for the first time. From my experiences playing AC and Dirt Rally I know that you genuinely want to turn off all the assists etc, even if you aren't very good like me. You need to remove all the layers of abstraction you can in order to feel as much like you're driving a real car, so make sure you do that.

Also, I only tweaked the graphics up a tiny bit, by turning on some shadows. I tried it with things a bit higher and AST or not, I could still tell that the frames were dropping since everything is always in motion. You see it on the other cars and the track pretty clearly. The main graphical problem I saw was some Z fighting on a couple of billboards the looked more like glitches than anything else.

I haven't played this game before, so I decided to match things as closely as possible to how I play AC. So, I grabbed a powerful open wheel Lotus and jumped into a track I've raced on in AC, namely Monza. First of all it's a prettier game than AC even on whatever lower default settings the VR version gives you. Although with bright skies on some of the levels it's genuinely hard to tell what's an ingame effect and what's just the Fresnel lenses. Either way it's an annoyance on tracks with bright skies.

Handling... I'm far from an expert but I felt more in control of the vehicle here than I do in AC, and I have to say I prefer AC in that regard. I've never driven a 60s Lotus so I don't know which is more realistic. Still plenty enjoyable but I didn't feel as on the edge of losing control as I did from AC and that knife edge between speed and losing control is what really makes racing sims sing for me.

That said it's not a massive difference in that regard... and the prettier visuals are definitely nice. Visibility in the distance is much better than on the DK2, and I really like that they've got a bunch of point to point tracks in here... The track variety seems better than whatever AC came with (ignoring mods). I've always loved point to point road racing so yeah, very happy that they've got some of those here.

I can't say that the scale felt off for me. It was a little tricky to get my wheel lined up with the ingame one, and reseting my view seemed to put my head a tad too far back on the driver's shoulders, but once I had it, I had it.

After a few hotlaps I jumped into a race with other drivers. Performance held up, although I did terribly. I'll need to play this more to get good, but like I said, you really need to play games like this with clutches and full manual and all driving assists off to get a true sense of the car and driving.

I don't say that because I'm good at these games, I'm not. It's a VR thing more than anything else.

My biggest issue right now is continually stalling the car from a standstill. There doesn't seem to be a button for ignition so I keep resetting the car to get the engine going again. I'll have to check the bindings to see if I can bind one, because there's a lot of useless buttons bound like turn 90 degrees to the left and the right. Definitely not needed for VR put it that way.

It's a pretty game, that plays well, though not as well as AC. Force feedback is really good espescially in VR. Driving with a wheel is fantastic. If you get this you need to get a wheel. I'm happy I picked it up, but I think once Dirt Rally and AC are updated that I'll play this the least of those three. Not because the VR support isn't great... it really is... but because it feels a shade less dangerous and that's what drew me to racing sims in VR when they'd never interested me outside of it.

Great car and track selection though. I'll be taking the Caterham superlight out on the highways of California again, that's for sure.

Great write up. Do you think racing in VR would assist you in lap times? Just curious as I know a lot of people (including myself) have held off on 3 screen monitor setups as it seemed VR would have an obvious advantage over it, but after watching the Giantbomb stream I am now not so sure. Does it feel like you are truly inside the cockpit of the car or some weird disembodiment? Also, it's interesting you feel the clutch and manual gearshift would add to the experience.

iceatcs

Look like there will be more kickstarters backlog after this batch. I haven't got any emails apart confirmed order. I think I might get it at least May.

Enordash

So for those who've had some time with the CV1, have you gotten sick outside of the weird stick movement a la Ethan Carter? I may not have the stomach for that type of game either way if the DK1 was any indication.

Great write up. Do you think racing in VR would assist you in lap times? Just curious as I know a lot of people (including myself) have held off on 3 screen monitor setups as it seemed VR would have an obvious advantage over it, but after watching the Giantbomb stream I am now not so sure. Does it feel like you are truly inside the cockpit of the car or some weird disembodiment? Also, it's interesting you feel the clutch and manual gearshift would add to the experience.

The general consensus is that VR absolutely helps people set faster times. What I saw of Giant Bomb playing Project Cars for a short while was mostly goofing off. Their conclusion after that, that Track IR would likely be better for pros... was not based on any sound sort of analysis.

So for those who've had some time with the CV1, have you gotten sick outside of the weird stick movement a la Ethan Carter? I may not have the stomach for that type of game either way if the DK1 was any indication.
I haven't, no. But I'm not the best benchmark. My VR legs are pretty well tested at this point.

The general consensus is that VR absolutely helps people set faster times. What I saw of Giant Bomb playing Project Cars for a short while was mostly goofing off. Their conclusion after that, that Track IR would likely be better for pros... was not based on any sound sort of analysis.

It was also the guy's first time ever using a VR headset in a racing game, and he seemed to not take advantage of it properly since he basically was looking straight ahead the entire time with almost no head movement. And then of course they used a gamepad instead of a steering wheel, something which makes the whole "walk around your car" thing easy to do.

I am surprised a lot more people here aren't waking up to order processed emails. They appear to be in the 05s last night. East and West coast.

Darkdeus

To me it truly feels like you're in the car when it is done well. I actually get a better sense of presence in Live for Speed compared to Project Cars. Even though Live for Speed is over a decade old the graphics in VR look better to me than Project Cars. It looks and feels more solid. I think this comes down to not having a deferred lighting engine. Project Cars has more flickering and shimmer in the distance compared to Live for Speed which is way more solid and stable looking to the non-deferred lighting and high amounts of AA. I also like the physics and FFB better in Live for Speed so it just feels right compared to some of the cars and FFB in Project Cars. Don't get me wrong I like Project Cars a lot but even with "better" graphics it does not feel as immersive.

My lap times in VR are definitely better. I can race waay closer to people and can probably judge speed and distance as well as the angle/yaw of the car which makes drifting a lot easier for me. I think if you're already amazing at sim racing on a monitor it won't make you much better but for those new to sim racing it will feel way more natural and will a lot easier starting off.

Enordash

I am surprised a lot more people here aren't waking up to order processed emails. They appear to be in the 05s last night. East and West coast.

I would love for them to get into the :06's today! Honestly, I may be growing more patient as time goes by. Glad there are impressions rolling in here. It has helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom