• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

This is exciting. I am at 6:02 and we are sooo close to that mark!

Looks like processing has resumed tonight, so I bet yours comes through any minute. Bastard!

Would be nice to have some sort of estimate for Kickstarters. As far as I know, I might not get this thing until the Summer.

This was posted on Reddit today:

TheTwistgibber said:
Hello Oculus Rift Kickstarter Backers!

We are making progress on getting your free Kickstarter Oculus Rifts out to you. We’re on track to ship out the vast majority of the remaining Kickstarter Rifts at the end of April with a small number shipping in the first couple weeks in May. Please note that we’re shipping these specific Rifts in the order, by region, in which the Kickstarter surveys were completed.

Thank you so much for your patience.

Good news for any Razer Hydra owners. Valve appear to be working on support for these in Steam VR, which should let you get on the motion controller train right away.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/driver_hydra

Currently you have to compile them yourself and installation isn't straight forwards, but I'll report back if I can get it working. I imagine this will work a lot better than the OSVR solution I tried out last night and earlier today. I'm super happy to get more use out of the hydras, and maybe now you'll actually be able to throw things.

So someone compiled them, and it's really simple to install the drivers:

https://github.com/betavr/steamvr_driver_hydra/wiki

So, wooo to that. Tracking is much better than the OSVR workaround. Sadly you still can't throw things so Budget Cuts still doesn't work right. Fortunately now though, you can play the long bow game and the Brookhaven experiment much better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks like processing has resumed tonight, so I bet yours comes through any minute. Bastard!

This was posted on Reddit today:

Bloody hell. my vive will probably be here before that. I don't get the hold up - clearly they are getting more volume through now.

I get that they are free, but half the KS backers had theirs weeks ago now, and some of us will be a month later. I was a late Kickstarter but I expect plenty of earlier backers will be in that delayed batch

Bloody hell. my vive will probably be here before that. I don't get the hold up - clearly they are getting more volume through now.

I get that they are free, but half the KS backers had theirs weeks ago now, and some of us will be a month later. I was a late Kickstarter but I expect plenty of earlier backers will be in that delayed batch

I was a late backer too, but I jumped on the survey, which is apparently how they're prioritising backers now. That and if you live in Americaland, obviously.

Here's to hoping they get to the :07 US orders today. I've kind of worn out the "read impressions and stay positive" part of this 12 step delivery program.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Here's to hoping they get to the :07 US orders today. I've kind of worn out the "read impressions and stay positive" part of this 12 step delivery program.

Tell me about it. I'm still checking this thread and the Oculus sub-reddit all the time but I can't get excited about impressions any more. I just want the damned headset already.

This would have been the perfect week too since the wife is out of town for the week.

If I placed a preorder today, any idea realistically when I'll see a headset? Not looking to start a thing, I actually don't want one for a few months because I am moving, but I also want to get ahead of all those people that will try to jump in around the holiday time period.

Wallach

If I placed a preorder today, any idea realistically when I'll see a headset? Not looking to start a thing, I actually don't want one for a few months because I am moving, but I also want to get ahead of all those people that will try to jump in around the holiday time period.

Right now I think it shows August. I suspect they'll have worked through these initial production problems so it's probably accurate.

Right now I think it shows August. I suspect they'll have worked through these initial production problems so it's probably accurate.

Awesome. That'll probably work. I just submitted it, and this is what it says "Your Oculus Rift is estimated to ship in TBD." , lol. August timeframe works for me.

Yeah, I have gone from hype to over-hype to a weird sensation of apathy-hype. Apathy-hype feels like my brain has divided hype by zero and now I am left in a quantum state of being both excited for the Rift but not excited at the same time. I should keep a journal of this experience for science.

Enordash

Yeah, I have gone from hype to over-hype to a weird sensation of apathy-hype. Apathy-hype feels like my brain has divided hype by zero and now I am left in a quantum state of being both excited for the Rift but not excited at the same time. I should keep a journal of this experience for science.

I'm right there with you. Part of me has finally accepted that it will get here when it gets here (which will be no time soon at this rate), but I still catch myself thinking "wait, my Rift will arrive a full month or more after the original estimate. I should be super pissed off".

wonderpug

Neo Member
It helps me to think of the Oculus launch as actually having a June launch. The people who got one already (I think we're up to seven?) are like the people who manage to find a brick and mortar store breaking the street date for a big game release. I wish I was one of them, but what can you do? It's not even June yet.

Soi-Fong

Haven't gotten a shipping notification yet, but got charged by Oculus and was sent an email that my order's been processed and will ship soon.

They are hitting up to 6:07 in the US. Canada needs love too.

Edit: Up to 6:08 now in the US.

Edit: Up to 6:10 in the US saying they have been processed.

Dineren

Banned
Haven't gotten a shipping notification yet, but got charged by Oculus and was sent an email that my order's been processed and will ship soon.

I don't know if it will be the same for you, but my order shipped the same day I received that processing email and I didn't actually receive the shipping notification until the next day.

Vanmunt

Banned

Ha, you have summed up my feelings exactly...

Riptwo

I've been on a quest to figure out which random box I stored my Razer Hydra in after hearing that it can emulate Vive controllers. No luck so far, but it should be interesting to see how it works!

I've been on a quest to figure out which random box I stored my Razer Hydra in after hearing that it can emulate Vive controllers. No luck so far, but it should be interesting to see how it works!
Good luck. It's always nice getting use out of those things.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

As a word of warning, I used these to emulate Vive controllers with my DK2 and they were absolutely awful.

lmimmfn

Not so nice dealing with the quantum entanglement of its cables though. I just packed that damn thing away at the weekend after its been lying unused on my desk for the past year. I actually fear setting it up again, when it works its great when it doesn't it's mega frustrating

Riptwo

I never really got them working in a satisfactory way when I bought them around the DK1 launch, but I'm hoping that they'll at least hold me over until the Touch launch. We'll see if I can get them functioning in an acceptable way!

Kevin

Anyone try "P.O.L.L.E.N" on Steam? Noticed it came out and has Rift support. Game looks super atmospheric and awesome:

maxresdefault.jpg

Reminds me of the movie, The Martain. If anyone tries it, post some impressions on here. :)

Vanmunt

Banned
I can understand why Palmer delivered the first Rift now... as it was the only one they had. Getting very close to ordering a Vive now and selling on my Rift when it turns up.. as I am sure the Vive will turn up first.

Zaptruder

Banned
So anyone with a Vive and Rift able to connect them both at the same time? I don't really want to have to reach down to my computer to plug and unplug them all the time...

I've got my Vive running through a mini-DP to DP cable, and although SteamVR recognizes the Vive is there (at least when checking device USB), it'll boot into the Rift first and foremost...

Dineren

Banned
So anyone with a Vive and Rift able to connect them both at the same time? I don't really want to have to reach down to my computer to plug and unplug them all the time...

I've got my Vive running through a mini-DP to DP cable, and although SteamVR recognizes the Vive is there (at least when checking device USB), it'll boot into the Rift first and foremost...

I've got both connected and haven't had any issues. I haven't used SteamVR with the Rift at all though so maybe that is why. I use SteamVR exclusively with the Vive and all the games I've launched from Steam with Oculus support let me just select OtherVR instead of going through SteamVR.

Salamande

In my experience, they should coexist fine. Vive stuff boots up in the Vive, and Oculus stuff opens Home and boots up there.

The only issues I've found are with apps that work in both, like AltspaceVR or Virtual Desktop. With those, it seems to default to Rift, unfortunately, and I have to unplug the Rift USB to use those with the Vive. I haven't found a way around that yet.

hollams

Gold Member
Should have my RIft today. I was able to change the delivery to a local UPS station since I wouldn't be home to sign if they tried to deliver there and I'm glad that was an option.

If you are expecting a Rift delivery sign up for UPS my choice, its free and with a name/address combo you can override signature required and give instructions (leave front door, side, etc) and get an estimated delivery window. Can sign up through your facebook account too so no new logins needed.

Zaptruder

Banned
I've got both connected and haven't had any issues. I haven't used SteamVR with the Rift at all though so maybe that is why. I use SteamVR exclusively with the Vive and all the games I've launched from Steam with Oculus support let me just select OtherVR instead of going through SteamVR.

In my experience, they should coexist fine. Vive stuff boots up in the Vive, and Oculus stuff opens Home and boots up there.

The only issues I've found are with apps that work in both, like AltspaceVR or Virtual Desktop. With those, it seems to default to Rift, unfortunately, and I have to unplug the Rift USB to use those with the Vive. I haven't found a way around that yet.

Thanks for the info. Seems like my DP cable is just shit... D: or maybe the DP on my graphics card? I don't know. Dammit, why are they punishing me for connecting 5 devices to my 980Ti at once?!

Soi-Fong

Heads up, my Oculus CV1 just came in today at work. I got the charge yesterday. Fucking sucks since I'm leaving out of country tomorrow. I'm an :06 order Midwest, CC. My estimated date was April 14 - 28 btw when they sent out those mass emails.

Good to hear that someone at least is getting a Rift xD

My KS one is still somewhere in their warehouses. At least I have a Vive carrying me on xD

Seriously: wtf, Oculus.

Wallach

On a side note, this is the first day I've ever worn contacts. Decided to try them since I had to get a new prescription and frames/lenses done today. It's neat. I'll probably start wearing them more regularly and definitely for VR.

I will say that I can tell straight away that the focal distance in the DK2 is not very far. I previously used DK2 without my glasses anyway and the experience is not very different with the contacts in. From what I understand the focal distance in the CV1 is back at infinity like the DK1.

JambiBum

Is there a general VR games thread? The current VR threads seem to be mostly about shipping issues and room scale options respectively. I think it would be nice if there was just a general VR games impressions thread that people could use to discuss impressions instead of having them mixed in with general headset discussions.

Is there a general VR games thread? The current VR threads seem to be mostly about shipping issues and room scale options respectively. I think it would be nice if there was just a general VR games impressions thread that people could use to discuss impressions instead of having them mixed in with general headset discussions.

There's this one but it hasn't been updated or posted in for a couple months.

Got my CV1 today, 6 mins 1 sec order time West coast guy. Sensor bar won't connect properly over any of my USB ports, I do have a spare 4-port USB PCI card I will install this weekend to see if that fixes the issue. The annoying "your PC may not be compatible..." error message due to CPU (i have a 6-core Xeon) is irritating, since it floats at the top of the launch screen inside the headset and also at the top of the desktop oculus app.

So far not really blown away, I always feel like I have a headset on, my head gets sweaty quick, I can see the edges of the "cage", and visually its a tiny step above really bad 3D TV as far as I am concerned, and I game on my PS4 most of the time so I am not a huge graphics guy. Hoping some fiddling this weekend gets it better, while the headset is comfy right now I'd rather play a game outside the headset than inside it which isn't good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom