• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhh no. Not "everyone" who preorders a Oculus pc ready will get it. We can imagine the slotted number of Rift for third party vendors is as small as the normal Rift preorders. They don't have infinite Rifts on stock, that much is clear.

But a lot of people preordered a Oculus ready PC, then will return the PC, but keep the Oculus...

Thats shit.

Mik2121

I got some unexpected money and decided to (pre-?)order a Rift. Estimated delivery is August.
The wait sucks, but I am SO stoked at the thought of playing Elite Dangerous in VR. I originally had to choose between PSVR and the Rift, so I chose PSVR since it looks like the more family friendly option.
Now I get both!
Sweet. You will definitely love (hopefully!) Elite Dangerous in VR. The scale is just massive. The ships feel huge yet at the same time realistic in size, and the planets.. oh god!

Anyway, I don't know if you can or not, but there are some shorts on the Rift store that I would recommend downloading now that they're still free; "Lost" and "Henry". They are not mindblowingly amazing but still a good 5min experience each. Makes you wonder what could Pixar do in the same situation.

I hope more companies start releasing stuff like this. Something like having special VR shorts for upcoming feature films would be just amazing.

RealMeat

Banned
Virtual Desktop is a little better at playing regular videos (3D format or regular) but it blows up regular videos to IMAX level and I can't figure out a way to change that, makes watching videos pretty much impossible since you can only see like 30% of it without panning your head. I'm sure there is a way to tweak this, will have to look at configuration options.
If you want to watch non-360 videos on virtual desktop, just play them in a different player on your desktop. The built in player is just for VR videos.

bodine1231

giphy.gif

Placed a bundle order on Best Buy yesterday morning,shipped today for Wednesday delivery. Why couldn't it be this easy from the start?

gdt

Fuck this shit man. The hype is so completely gone at this point. Had this conversation with my gf last night.

This has been a disaster of a launch.

Hahaha.

Unbelievable. I bet Palmer internally finds that sort of "cool" because of the audacity and guile necessary to achieve something like this, but he will be tight lipped about it. Not that anything of this is his fault.

(but im inclined to a little rancour of some retailers getting their units of rift FIRST)

Fuck this shit man. The hype is so completely gone at this point. Had this conversation with my gf last night.

The strange thing is that on Steam almost every day a new VR game is released. Since the 15th April 11 new games were released for either the Oculus, Vive or both. On Oculus Home it seems that nothing big has been added besides Technolust and Apollo11 after the launch...

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
One could ask why retailers are already getting Rifts from Oculus before Oculus have handled their own pre-orders.

Legal contracts. They would have had a separate cache of units for retail and they couldn't start pulling from there for pre-orders because they would be breaking the contracts. It sucks for people waiting for pre-orders but I'm not sure Oculus could do it differently. They just have to ramp up their manufacturing to fill orders.

TheRed

As long as they keep up the pace they made on Friday starting tomorrow I won't be too mad. Still annoying that people could just jump ahead without even paying to get the pc in the bundle. If tomorrow has a super slow day again I will be mad because I'm 5 seconds away from where they seemed to have stopped.

wonderpug

Neo Member
As long as they keep up the pace they made on Friday starting tomorrow I won't be too mad. Still annoying that people could just jump ahead without even paying to get the pc in the bundle. If tomorrow has a super slow day again I will be mad because I'm 5 seconds away from where they seemed to have stopped.

I think you've got good reason to be hopeful this week. I'm expecting the same pattern as last week, a Monday arrival of units that gets shipped late Monday and most of Tuesday, with some end of week stragglers.

Wallach

Legal contracts. They would have had a separate cache of units for retail and they couldn't start pulling from there for pre-orders because they would be breaking the contracts. It sucks for people waiting for pre-orders but I'm not sure Oculus could do it differently. They just have to ramp up their manufacturing to fill orders.

Pretty much. Those retailers basically already paid for their initial shipments. Oculus had to provide at least some of them. I imagine they probably won't get a fresh round of those out to those retailers for a while, either.

Seeing all of you getting your Rifts today is going to be rough. That charge decline hits hard. Hopefully they attempt to charge my card again today if there is a new batch. I wish I had some warning because I would give my bank another call to ensure it goes through. I have heard stories of people calling their bank and still getting a decline.

Enordash

UPS really needs to show up here in the next 30 minutes so I can have it sitting safe in my house before work... What a day for them to be late.

Dineren

Banned
I hadn't considered it until I heard about it on the Bombcast, but Virtual Boy emulation on the OR is pretty good. I tried out VBjin and it is pretty much a perfect replacement for the VB. There is an experimental mode that enables head tracking, but I prefer the fixed mode that turns off headtracking and is pretty much just like looking in a Virtual Boy.

I'm sure it has very limited appeal, but there are a couple of games I enjoy on VB and it's nice not to have to drag it out of storage if I want to play them.

Enordash

Finally got it! Unfortunately it came 20 minutes before I had to leave for work. I was able to get everything set up and through a snippet of DreamDeck and Introduction to Virtual Reality.

First off, the box it comes in may be the sexiest tech box I've ever experienced.

Setup is incredibly fast and easy. If you get an error on HDMI, make sure that the connector is seated all the way in. I need to take some more time adjusting the straps to get a better fit. I appreciate the calibration process, and Home seems to work really well.

What I saw of DreamDeck was great. It's visually impressive. It gives me faith that games will look rather good in VR. Introduction to Virtual Reality proves that I will never be able to handle a horror game or movie in VR. There's a part where people are on all sides of you doing random things. It really feels like an invasion of your personal space.

Like I said, I was only in for about 20 minutes. I did start to get hot, but my apartment is pretty hot in general. The nose gap didn't bother me and was useful for quickly finding the remote or controller. I could see where you'd want the room to be dark or dim though. I'll be jumping into Lucky's Tale tonight. I also want to watch one of the short films; probably Henry. I should have much more to say soon.

Finally got it! Unfortunately it came 20 minutes before I had to leave for work. I was able to get everything set up and through a snippet of DreamDeck and Introduction to Virtual Reality.

First off, the box it comes in may be the sexiest tech box I've ever experienced.

Setup is incredibly fast and easy. If you get an error on HDMI, make sure that the connector is seated all the way in. I need to take some more time adjusting the straps to get a better fit. I appreciate the calibration process, and Home seems to work really well.

What I saw of DreamDeck was great. It's visually impressive. It gives me faith that games will look rather good in VR. Introduction to Virtual Reality proves that I will never be able to handle a horror game or movie in VR. There's a part where people are on all sides of you doing random things. It really feels like an invasion of your personal space.

Like I said, I was only in for about 20 minutes. I did start to get hot, but my apartment is pretty hot in general. The nose gap didn't bother me and was useful for quickly finding the remote or controller. I could see where you'd want the room to be dark or dim though. I'll be jumping into Lucky's Tale tonight. I also want to watch one of the short films; probably Henry. I should have much more to say soon.

Sounds good. Need more impressions.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Mine just arrived! Setting it up now.

I agree about the box, really premium stuff.

Tain

Last time I used it, it seemed like any juddering was from the game itself and not the VR implementation. I don't know how they'd get it any smoother than that.

One could ask why retailers are already getting Rifts from Oculus before Oculus have handled their own pre-orders.
Keep in mind that those PC bundles were also available as preorders, and on the initial (non-retail) preorder day, Oculus said that a small amount of Rifts would be set aside for retail sales in April. Now, the ability to order the bundle and cancel the computer, that seems like a Best Buy mistake.

Keep in mind that those PC bundles were also available as preorders, and on the initial (non-retail) preorder day, Oculus said that a small amount of Rifts would be set aside for retail sales in April. Now, the ability to order the bundle and cancel the computer, that seems like a Best Buy mistake.

Not in the US they weren't. You couldn't preorder the bundles on Amazon or Best Buy or any other retailer until February 23rd. That was six weeks after Oculus opened preorders of the headset on their website on January 6th. While I understand the desire to honor contracts, it is very likely that their contracts with those retailers contained the ability to delay or even cancel fulfillment albeit there may have been financial penalties involved. Not sure it would have made much difference in the volume of supply at this point, but the optics of delivering to people who ordered well after both Kickstarter backers and preorders on Oculus are very poor.

ah, sorry, I thought you meant the game's framerate, not head rotation judder.

Yeah you have to run the game at a faster speed for it to be 90 fps. It works, but I don't think I'd want to play through Wind Waker like this. I just like to visit the locations and look around.

This has been a disaster of a launch.

Yup, I used to monitor this thread religiously, I was in full hype mode. Now whatever. The magic of a system launch is dead. This sucks.

lmimmfn

Also apparently New Retro Arcade was updated as well but I don't have a CV1 yet to test it out on.
No, it hasn't unfortunately, devs said an updated version will be released in the next 2 months. The old one kinda works with SteamVR but it has issues like you're as tall as the ceiling etc.

StudioTan

Ok, so initial impressions:

So far I've played bits of Lucky's Tail, Chronos, Pinball FX2 VR and Farlands. Also watched all the Dreamdeck stuff, Henry and Lost.

Looks like I used it for almost 3 hours straight, I didn't realize it was that long so obviously comfort is fine. It took me a couple of tries to get the fit right so that most of the weight was on the back of my head and once I got it was pretty comfortable. Still presses on the very tops of my cheeks but it's not too bad.

My previous experience with VR is the GearVR and the Rift is clearly much better. Positional tracking makes a huge difference. Some of the demos and stuff like Lucky's Tail is amazing when you can get in really close to things. Makes them feel like toys come to life.

The screendoor effect is definitely still there but it's not QUITE as bad as the Gear. I was hoping it would be mostly gone but I can still see it most of the time however once I get into a game you kind of forget about it.

The headphones are really quite good and I'm very glad it's integrated into the headset.

The only issue I have really is the nose gap, it's much worse than I was expecting. For long stretches I don't notice it at all but then occasionally it'll creep into my peripheral vision and it distracts from the immersion because I see snippets of my desk and monitor. It's actually worse with standing experiences because my monitor is below me and bright so it's visible a lot.

Game impressions:

Lucky's Tail - Only played for about 10 minutes but looks amazing. Like I said earlier it's like you're inside this cartoon toy world. Being able to look under and around objects is a game changer.

Pinball FX2 - I got very immersed in this actually. After a while it feels like you're actually playing a real table and you forget it's VR. The sound design helps a lot with this, it's extremely well done.

Chronos - Kind of got stuck not too far into the game but what I played was awesome. At one point you step outside and it's raining and it just felt very immersive. Can't wait to keep playing this.

Farlands - Very cute and the graphics are nice. It's nice being able to walk around a little bit on the planet, great sense of presence.

Next up is Elite Dangerous and Eve Valkyrie.

Only VR experience is Cardboard. The Rift is better.

Quick, probably-not-optimized thoughts:

Oculus Dreamdeck: Great intro to VR, fun stuff with presence and space.

The Witness - I'm into the final area of this, having played through in non-VR. I need to play with settings a bit to make it smoother, but going
to the top of the mountain
and looking around, after spending so many hours in this world in two dimensions... it was kind of breathtaking. Even in its non-polished state, the sense of space was completely different. Not sure I'd want to play through all the puzzles in VR, but really impressive. Got a bit queasy attempting to move a different direction than I was looking.

vermadas

The Witness - I'm into the final area of this, having played through in non-VR. I need to play with settings a bit to make it smoother, but going
to the top of the mountain
and looking around, after spending so many hours in this world in two dimensions... it was kind of breathtaking. Even in its non-polished state, the sense of space was completely different. Not sure I'd want to play through all the puzzles in VR, but really impressive. Got a bit queasy attempting to move a different direction than I was looking.

Wait what? I didn't think this worked on the latest runtime.

Wait what? I didn't think this worked on the latest runtime.

I set the -vr launch flag, and launched it from Steam... came right up. Threw up some sort of an error...but ran regardless. Some odd stuttering, but I hadn't touched any of whatever settings I had it on (likely way too high, etc.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Palmer putting his foot in it again on Twitter, resulting in many pitchforks on the oculus subreddit.

I prefer production that can keep up with demand, but much prefer shortages to the opposite problem! No burying Rifts in desert landfills.

Seriously Palmer, people are pissed at others jumping the queue with retail bundles (especially when they can cancel the PC part so only pay for the rift), so you really don't want to stoke those flames

It is really infuriating, especially since it seems that my Vive order that I put on the 12th of April (after getting my 38min preorder of the Oculus pushed back to June) seems to have entered the pre-processing stage. In the end it looks like that I will end up with a Vive cause of Oculus' handling of everything. Their loss I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom