• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookoo

Man, Chronos is pretty bad ass. It has some annoying game play mechanics, but it has really sold me on 3rd person VR games. It would be crazy to get a resident evil or silent hill type game in here, I was getting creeped out in just some simple dark scenes in Chronos.

visually its a tiny step above really bad 3D TV as far as I am concerned

Not even sure what you mean by this since they are pretty different experiences.The 3D in Oculus is much more impressive than any 3D I have every seen, but that is likely due to having stereovision and head tracking.

Man, Chronos is pretty bad ass. It has some annoying game play mechanics, but it has really sold me on 3rd person VR games. It would be crazy to get a resident evil or silent hill type game in here, I was getting creeped out in just some simple dark scenes in Chronos.

Not even sure what you mean by this since they are pretty different experiences.The 3D in Oculus is much more impressive than any 3D I have every seen, but that is likely due to having stereovision and head tracking.

Well it's mainly because scale is 1:1. I don't really think of VR as being stereoscopic 3D. It technically is, but you're getting way more depth cues, and again, scale is 1:1 which makes a huge difference.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Well it's mainly because scale is 1:1. I don't really think of VR as being stereoscopic 3D. It technically is, but you're getting way more depth cues, and again, scale is 1:1 which makes a huge difference.

The ability to move your head to check parallax is pretty important too.

I did really enjoy Eve Valkyrie, I think between that and Elite and Chronos I am enjoying the Rift and don't regret the buy, but at the same time I only have flashes of immersion and mostly feel like I have a giant weight on my head and am almost always aware of the headset.

I did finally sorta get the scanner to work with a PCI-e 4 port USB3 card, but even still the setup complains its not compatible even though the little scanning program (where it does a "sweep scan" originating from the scanner) works fine. No nausea or FPS issues in any games so far.

The ability to move your head to check parallax is pretty important too.

well, that's what I meant when I said VR gives you way more depth cues. The subconscious movements your head is always making give you loads of depth cues without you needing to check parallax as you say, but it's certainly something that can be done.

It just feels right on a subconscious level, and how important that is can't be over stated.

JambiBum

Is there a way to turn the headset off without having to unplug it? Obviously don't want it on all of the time and am wondering if I'm just missing a way to turn it off without unplugging it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Is there a way to turn the headset off without having to unplug it? Obviously don't want it on all of the time and am wondering if I'm just missing a way to turn it off without unplugging it.

You have to run Quantum Break, navigate to the "Exit Game" icon, and quit.

vermadas

CV1 VR Cover now available.

I don't think there's a way to turn it off completely as long as it's plugged into a powered USB port. When it's not in use it still seems to generate a little heat, despite the screens being off.

1337Sauce

Heads up. Been hearing mixed things about these lately. Specifically about the quality of the stitching and fit. Might want to wait on more reviews.

I'm sure for extended sessions this may become an issue, but I am more interested in just having them available for quick demos to friends and family. I'm sure stitching shouldn't be too much of an issue if they are just using it for a couple minutes or so.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I bunch more US and Canadian orders being processed today. One of the Canadian ones was later than mine :/

Don't you get a second chance to pay, letting you jump in on the next shipping batch? That's what Oculus has been saying, at least.

They supposedly keep your spot in line and I have spoken with my CC company but I sometimes see people taking at least a couple of weeks before their charge goes through. I have seen others have it happen in the same day.

Re-entered my CC info on Oculus' website so it's only a matter of time.

They supposedly keep your spot in line and I have spoken with my CC company but I sometimes see people taking at least a couple of weeks before their charge goes through. I have seen others have it happen in the same day.

Re-entered my CC info on Oculus' website so it's only a matter of time.

That sucks. CC companies are sometimes the worst.

At the very least you should be able to take solace that you'll certainly be in the next batch so I imagine you'll get it next week.

Bought. It's going to be nice to have a softer cover. The softer foam is something I very much appreciate with the Vive.

Now all that's left is for a custom facial interface with glasses cut outs and I'll be set.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
OMG:

"Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon."

Finally!

Weeks of waiting. Charge declined.

Ugh.

That sucks dude :(

JambiBum

Ordered a cover too. It's only 20 bucks and it comes with two so I'm not too worried about it getting stretched out possibly.

For those of you that just got your shipping soon notice, my rift shipped the day after I got that notice and only took one day to arrive. Was surprised at how quickly I got it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ah, I had preordered one of those Amazon combo offers of Rift + a computer and forgot to cancel it. And it just shipped! Doh. $1600...

I just received the following email.

Thank you for your Oculus Rift order.

We need to verify a few additional details to finalize your shipment. Before we can process your order, we need you to create or connect a “verified” PayPal billing account so we can confirm your shipping address. Please note that we do not support freight forwarding or concierge services and will be unable to provide additional product support for Oculus products once delivered to their original destination, or otherwise in an unsupported country/region.

Please proceed to the Oculus Order History page located at https://shop.oculus.com/history to update your billing information with a “verified” PayPal account. If your billing information has not been updated by May 6th at 11:59pm PDT, we will be required to cancel your Oculus Rift order and we will be unable to restore it.

Thank you for your attention.

- The Oculus Team

Kind of weird forcing people to pay with Paypal.

EU order btw.

StudioTan

My Rift has shipped, just got my tracking number and Eve Valkyrie code. I doubt it'll be here until Monday at the earliest but it's happening :D

StudioTan

Same here! I was a 6:19 US East for those interested.

internet-high-five.jpg

Seiru

Banned
I feel like their current rate of shipping doesn't quite match their estimates. I'm a 15:38 and my shipping estimate is 5/16/2016 - 5/26/2016. I feel like they would have to pick things up quite a bit to hit that...

Wallach

I feel like their current rate of shipping doesn't quite match their estimates. I'm a 15:38 and my shipping estimate is 5/16/2016 - 5/26/2016. I feel like they would have to pick things up quite a bit to hit that...

A lot of it is order congestion. Their website actually went down like a minute after it went up, and didn't come back up until the ~5 minute range. So there is a shitload of orders in the 5-7 minute range of people that were waiting to hit submit until it came back up. It'll look like it goes faster once we're around 8+ minutes in terms of order time.

charpunk

It has finally happened, my rift has finally shipped and will be here monday.

Got my vive yesterday. Now to figure out how to store all of this stuff.

StudioTan

6 minutes, 19 seconds. This is all too confusing at times, lol.

My estimated date started on 4/25.

No, I know yours was 6 min 19 secs, I was asking about his since his date is so far out. Mine was 6 min 9 secs.

I get that retailers have different rules, but somehow bad, that people who ordered in the first 30 minutes still might not get their Oculus, while people who can order a Oculus Ready PC will get theirs instantly.

I get that retailers have different rules, but somehow bad, that people who ordered in the first 30 minutes still might not get their Oculus, while people who can order a Oculus Ready PC will get theirs instantly.

Uhh no. Not "everyone" who preorders a Oculus pc ready will get it. We can imagine the slotted number of Rift for third party vendors is as small as the normal Rift preorders. They don't have infinite Rifts on stock, that much is clear.

For anyone who wants to play their own videos in the Oculus Rift player, you have to edit the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Software\oculus-oculus-video\video_settings.ini and add your videos folder to the options of movies_dir_4, _5, etc to _10. I

t will recurse through and find all videos in subfolders but dumps them all in a single flat level of videos. Unfortunately there aren't any options to zoom or blow up so you basically get a little screen inside your headset surrounded by the fluff environment you chose (cinema, ant, stars, etc).

Virtual Desktop is a little better at playing regular videos (3D format or regular) but it blows up regular videos to IMAX level and I can't figure out a way to change that, makes watching videos pretty much impossible since you can only see like 30% of it without panning your head. I'm sure there is a way to tweak this, will have to look at configuration options.

robotrock

Banned
Hahaha pretty mad that people are able to order an Oculus PC bundle today, then cancel the PC, and then get an Oculus Rift for MSRP tomorrow, but preorders can't.

Kevin

Every single time I look at my order, it's pushed back further. I ordered a single day after the preorders went up and it went from June to July and not to mid to late July. Pretty soon it will likely say August. This is pretty crap!

Must be making one Rift per day...

metalhead79

Neo Member
I got some unexpected money and decided to (pre-?)order a Rift. Estimated delivery is August.
The wait sucks, but I am SO stoked at the thought of playing Elite Dangerous in VR. I originally had to choose between PSVR and the Rift, so I chose PSVR since it looks like the more family friendly option.
Now I get both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom