• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuShtink

Just a little bit of a performance PSA: I was playing everything at default "recommended" or low settings on my 6700k/970 rig because I was afraid of framerate problems, but in the last 48 hours I've started bumping them up to experiement and surprisingly even a 970 can handle much higher than the default settings (I'm sure the 6700k is helping).

The most important of all of these is resolution. A lot of the games let you supersample in the options. Now I have Eve running at max res (135%), with Chronos and Lucky's Tale's set to highest resolution as well and they still run flawlessly. Eve benefits A LOT from the resolution bump. Don't think it's needing to use ATW either. Or ATW is flat out magical because I'm not seeing any kind of drops or visual glitches.

Just a little bit of a performance PSA: I was playing everything at default "recommended" or low settings on my 6700k/970 rig because I was afraid of framerate problems, but in the last 48 hours I've started bumping them up to experiement and surprisingly even a 970 can handle much higher than the default settings (I'm sure the 6700k is helping).

The most important of all of these is resolution. A lot of the games let you supersample in the options. Now I have Eve running at max res (135%), with Chronos and Lucky's Tale's set to highest resolution as well and they still run flawlessly. Eve benefits A LOT from the resolution bump. Don't think it's needing to use ATW either. Or ATW is flat out magical because I'm not seeing any kind of drops or visual glitches.

It's probably the ATW. If I'm not entirely mistaken, the best way to notice it is to look at the animation of things in the game world. If a game character seems choppy in its animation, you're likely on a too high detail level.

"This is not true"

Sounds like the Oculus subreddit (who's moderation team is likely influenced heavily by Oculus/FB). It's the simple answer; most of the time the simple solution is the right solution. Too many things line up for me to accept that line.
It's the false answer, the missing component is not XBox One wireless adapters. Microsoft said it was false. Oculus employees said it was false. The one guy who posted it (who created a new account just to post it) refused to give proof to moderators that he was someone who would have that information. It's a fake answer someone came up with because people would want to believe it and would spread because it plays on the old "I didn't want that XBox Controller in the first place" mentality.

BTW, the Oculus subreddit is where the guy posted that rumor.

Vanmunt

Banned
but you only need half that.

When I was at friends the vive area wasn't quite set up correctly and the chaperone was quite intrusive but when we set it up with a good area size I think it was nearly 3M by 2.5M it was a much better experience. I agree you can use a vive in a much smaller area but I would think, though yet to receive my rift, it will be the better option for the smaller space.

but you only need half that.
True, but 6ft by 10ft is probably close to the minimal space you'd want for any sustained physical locomotion, where you are a) not teleporting/making small adjustments constantly and b) not feeling aware of your boundaries at all times. I don't think I'd feel like I was getting the full value of out a Vive in a space much smaller than 10ft by 10ft.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I see people mentioning changing the default performance settings. People are talking per game right? There's no global setting?

Clydebink

Neo Member
So what is the optimal arrangement for an Rift and monitor simultaneously plugged in if your graphics-card only has one hdmi port and multiple display ports?
I guess I should add that my monitor is a television with no inputs beyond two hdmi ports.

YuShtink

It's probably the ATW. If I'm not entirely mistaken, the best way to notice it is to look at the animation of things in the game world. If a game character seems choppy in its animation, you're likely on a too high detail level.

Ah, I did see a bit of choppiness in the main character's animation in spots after cranking up multiple settings in Chronos, but stuff like Lucky's Tale is still perfectly smooth on highest settings. I'll have to look at Eve with a more scutinizing eye next time I play. It's crazy to know ATW is that good. Because headtracking still felt perfect.

YuShtink

So what is the optimal arrangement for an Rift and monitor simultaneously plugged in if your graphics-card only has one hdmi port and multiple display ports?
I guess I should add that my monitor is a television with no inputs beyond two hdmi ports.

One of my 2 monitors is HDMI only so I bought a HDMI to DVI extension cable that works perfectly. Freed up the HDMI slot on my card for the Rift.:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH11X64/?tag=neogaf0e-20

lmimmfn

Ah, I did see a bit of choppiness in the main character's animation in spots after cranking up multiple settings in Chronos, but stuff like Lucky's Tale is still perfectly smooth on highest settings. I'll have to look at Eve with a more scutinizing eye next time I play. It's crazy to know ATW is that good. Because headtracking still felt perfect.
ATW is amazing in ETS/ATS, it had horrible judder regularly before, you don't even need to look at anims you'll see it working if you look left or right you'll see stuff juddering past yet looking around is smooth.

Must get back to Project Cars, loving it since the Steam update a few days ago

lmimmfn

Either use DVI-HDMI for the rift or DP-HDMI for the TV, I tried DP-HDMI for the rift, no luck.

It's really obvious on Pinball FX 2 when you hit multi ball on The Deep table. The framerate of the pinballs seems to nose dive even as the headtracking still feels smooth as.

I guess the conclusion is that ATW is black magic, because it really is impressive. It also makes the minimum requirements of the Rift come off as a bit excessive.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I guess the conclusion is that ATW is black magic, because it really is impressive. It also makes the minimum requirements of the Rift come off as a bit excessive.

Well, he PSVR is essentially based around the expectation of ATW, so that is nice to hear.

So, is it safe to change the payment method for an order that supposedly ships next month? I just realized that the card I used has a lower monthly limit than I thought.

Nyrad

After a few weeks of testing i can say that Windlands, Apollo 11 VR and Lucky's Tale are my favorite experiences. CV1 is so much better than the development kits and worth the wait. I can finally use VR without getting motion sick after a few minutes :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Insomniac has 2 other Oculus games coming out this year after Edge of Nowhere.

The first is The Unspoken which uses Touch.

Trailer
Gameplay

The other is Feral Rights which is controller based:

Teaser

I tried out Elite Dangerous on Rift last night after struggling to get it working with my Vive. Holy shit that is a good VR game. Run's pretty well using the VR high settings on my 970. Not sure if it was running at a full 90FPS but it didn't make me feel ill.
Definitely benefits from the more comfortable Rift headset, sitting down with a Vive makes you much more aware of the discomfort than when you're moving around. Rift is comfortable enough that I can imagine wearing it for hours, plus it's easier to quickly lift off if you need to check something outside the game.

So, is it safe to change the payment method for an order that supposedly ships next month? I just realized that the card I used has a lower monthly limit than I thought.

I think so.

From what I have read on Reddit, when you change payment information the order is put on temporary hold to verify the new information. As long as you are still a few weeks out it should be ok.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34587/rift-1-3-2-update-release-notes

Looks like they're pushing out the fix for installing games to other drives with the next update.

Nice. For once they actually hit their public estimate of 2-3 weeks after launch for the update!

For those of you who want to install it to another drive, they have a support article you can follow so you don't need to redownload everything: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1715420212071737/

*Edit* Also, forgot to mention that for those of us who may have a Razer Hydra, someone made a beta driver for OpenVR so you can now use Rift + Hydra to play motion tracked controller games for the Vive! Obviously since it's corded it won't be exactly the same as the Vive. It has some issues since it's not fully implemented yet, the biggest one being unable to throw the stick for the doggie in The Lab.

Forum post: https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/34540/use-your-razer-hydra-in-steamvr

Github: https://github.com/betavr/SteamVR-OSVR/wiki

I'm definitely going to get mine out of a box when I used it in the early Rift days and give it a shot.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34587/rift-1-3-2-update-release-notes

Looks like they're pushing out the fix for installing games to other drives with the next update.

Edit - there is apparently something new in the store today called "Introduction to Virtual Reality". At least I hadn't seen it before. Seems to be free.

It's a Felix and Paul show reel, showing some of the highlights of their 3D 360 video work so far. Makes me want the full Apatosaurus experience on my rift more than anything else.

Nice. For once they actually hit their public estimate of 2-3 weeks after launch for the update!

For those of you who want to install it to another drive, they have a support article you can follow so you don't need to redownload everything: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1715420212071737/

*Edit* Also, forgot to mention that for those of us who may have a Razer Hydra, someone made a beta driver for OpenVR so you can now use Rift + Hydra to play motion tracked controller games for the Vive! Obviously since it's corded it won't be exactly the same as the Vive. It has some issues since it's not fully implemented yet, the biggest one being unable to throw the stick for the doggie in The Lab.

Forum post: https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/34540/use-your-razer-hydra-in-steamvr

Github: https://github.com/betavr/SteamVR-OSVR/wiki

I'm definitely going to get mine out of a box when I used it in the early Rift days and give it a shot.

A bigger issue was not being able to throw the throwing knives in the Budget Cuts demo. I was still able to beat it though. Fingers crossed they get that working soon! And probably an even bigger issue is not being able to truly support the touchpads in things like Lightbrush.

Edit - there is apparently something new in the store today called "Introduction to Virtual Reality". At least I hadn't seen it before. Seems to be free.

Trying to figure this out. So I will have to uninstall Oculus Home and all the software and then reinstall on my other drive for this to work? I don't simply get a choice of drive where I can install my software/games? Pain in the butt but I guess it will have to do.

I bet this rolls out before I get my Rift anyway so it won't be that big of a deal.

Edit: Doing it now. Yeah, you basically get to select a drive when installing the Home software and that is it.

Err Umm.

So that toggle that lets you play outside sources doesn't seem to be there in 1.3.2.

Anyone else have this?

I wonder if they are letting you play outside resources by default.

Wallach

Err Umm.

So that toggle that lets you play outside sources doesn't seem to be there in 1.3.2.

Anyone else have this?

I wonder if they are letting you play outside resources by default.

Under the General tab in Settings, right? Just straight missing now?

Under the General tab in Settings, right? Just straight missing now?

Yup.

I just downloaded the new version off the site, installed it. It's definitely version 1.3.2 since I installed to my d: instead of C:.

Now it's asking me to install another update for Oculus Home. Lets see.

Edit: And now it's back. Weird. Looks like when you install it off the site you get one without the toggle.

Wallach

Whew.

By the way it looks like the latest US shipment hit the warehouse today and more processing action seems to be taking place. We're over 6 whole minutes, boys!

Whew.

By the way it looks like the latest US shipment hit the warehouse today and more processing action seems to be taking place. We're over 6 whole minutes, boys!

Canada still under 6 minutes. :( I am at 6:04.

Hoping they have a lot of stock to go through.

6 min 1 sec USA West Coast here, just got this email a few minutes ago
Oculus said:
Hi tearsintherain,

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Please keep this email handy for reference. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact Oculus Support.

No shipping or tracking info yet, hope it goes out today!

Oculus order status page (guest login) just shows "Processing for Shipping", no credit card charge yet.

They seem to have already stopped for today. Hope we see a big shipment tomorrow.

They apparently just got them in the warehouse today.

Enordash

They seem to have already stopped for today. Hope we see a big shipment tomorrow.

They apparently just got them in the warehouse today.

Looks like I missed out today, but my shipping range doesn't start until the 25th so I guess it's to be expected.

6 min 1 sec USA West Coast here, just got this email a few minutes ago

No shipping or tracking info yet, hope it goes out today!

Oculus order status page (guest login) just shows "Processing for Shipping", no credit card charge yet.

What was your estimated shipping window? Mine is May 9 - May 19, and I'm really hoping that is worst case scenario. This wait is brutal.

What was your estimated shipping window? Mine is May 9 - May 19, and I'm really hoping that is worst case scenario. This wait is brutal.

I originally had a late March (at order time), and got the "your order will be processed in 1-3 weeks" estimate back on March 24th. The page right now says shipping sometime between the 18th-24th, which is no lie I guess (so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom