• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Guys, Subnautica is fucking great. More people need to try it.

I've been thinking about getting that one, I probably will when I finish Chronos.

No it's not. I can barely fit the rift to my face because I wear glasses. It is terribly uncomfortable to use. I am not sure what about the build you claim is better? The headphones? I don't really care about them since I can use my own much higher quality headphones with vive.

You can use your own headphones with the Rift too, not sure how that's a point in favour of the Vive.

This (along with the wired Xbox 360 controller I used) was honestly the main reason why I rarely used the DK2 after a while. It was just too much of a bother to change my soundcard settings to headphone mode, plug them in, place them on my desk, find and plug in the 360 controller, put it in my lap, turn on and put on the DK2, put on the headphones, lift the DK2 enough for me to use the mouse to start whatever app I wanted to try, then pick up the 360 controller. Reverse all of that for when I wanted to take a break or stop for the day.

Not arguing that integrated head phones wouldn't be nice on the Vive, but all that business about switching sound card modes and such is not really a thing for the Vive either. You can set SteamVR to switch to whatever output and input source of your choosing when entering VR and switch back when done.

My process for getting into VR is to start SteamVR, turn on the controllers, put on the Vive and then my wireless head phones. The controllers will show up in VR, so I don't need to keep track of where I put them. If I forgot where I put my headphones, I can just locate it with the built in camera.

So apart from having to put on both a headset and headphones, pretty much all of your DK2 problems aren't really an issue any more.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Not arguing that integrated head phones wouldn't be nice on the Vive, but all that business about switching sound card modes and such is not really a thing for the Vive either. You can set SteamVR to switch to whatever output and input source of your choosing when entering VR and switch back when done.

How do you set SteamVR to do that? I've been going into Windows sound settings to change my default audio device back and forth between Rift audio and my main speakers. I'm flipping through Steam settings but I can't seem to find the option to have it automatically switch.

How do you set SteamVR to do that? I've been going into Windows sound settings to change my default audio device back and forth between Rift audio and my main speakers. I'm flipping through Steam settings but I can't seem to find the option to have it automatically switch.

In the small window that pops up when you enter SteamVR, click the title of the window (above "Ready") to get a pop up menu. There you can find a settings dialog that contains a tab called audio as well as a ton of other advanced options.

That said, the Vive lighthouse tech is arguably superior to what Oculus is using with the constellation setup. The lighthouses can be scaled up to rooms much bigger than what Constellation can support without degrading in tracking quality.
What? Where did you read that? Here's a video by a Fantastic Contraption developer with Oculus Rift using a 3 meter by 3 meter room-tracking area using the default USB cables that came with the Oculus Touch dev kit, no tracking degradation whatsoever:

http://youtu.be/zdU_OGCVjVU

And here's the same developer maxing it out with extension cables so that the cameras are 18 feet apart (note that Vive's software recommends only 15 feet apart for theirs):

http://youtu.be/BEhOivWqGmA

wonderpug

Neo Member
In the small window that pops up when you enter SteamVR, click the title of the window (above "Ready") to get a pop up menu. There you can find a settings dialog that contains a tab called audio as well as a ton of other advanced options.

Fantastic, thanks. Found it.

Holy shit, I just tried the Apollo 11 VR Experience on the Rift, and I'm blown away. This must be the most powerful experience I've had in VR so far, both because it portrays a real event that pretty much none of us will ever be able to try for ourselves in our lifetimes, and because it's very well made. I didn't time it, but I think it lasted for more than 30 minutes, yet time flew by.

My impressions of how the moon landing took place and what it looked like are completely changed now. Seeing video and pictures couldn't prepare me for this. The sight of the atmosphere gradually receding while looking through the tiny windows in the cramped cockpit was breathtaking and claustrophobic at once. Seeing Earth far below as the lander detached to fly towards that tiny sphere, the moon, in the distance. Gazing out the windows as the lander slowly descended, taking in just how desolate our moon is. Looking up from outside the parked lander and realizing how dominating the Sun is without an atmosphere to filter it. Seeing Neil Armstrong bounce past you across the surface while he talks about its charcoal texture, all the while being able to look down and see it for yourself. Sitting inside the tiny capsule as it finally descends towards the Earth in a chaotic turmoil while a flaming inferno rages on the other side of what feels like very thin walls and windows. And much more.

I can't recommend it enough. It's very relieving to know that the Kickstarter campaign for this, which I backed, ended up this good.

Sky Chief

Honestly, Vive has a much better chance of falling into that trap if either of the two companies are at risk (they aren't, but this is for the sake of argument). The Rift, by all account, is a higher quality device, while the Vive was in many ways rushed to market in order to compete with the Rift. It shows, though both are very high quality devices. If Touch turns out to be a product at an equally solid level as the Rift, the Vive could very well end up being the less good alternative for all user groups. But the truth is that both are going to have a healthy lifespan during this first generation of hardware.

This is NeoGAF. If any community on the Internet should be familiar with delays and broken promises, it's got to be us. It's par for the course in gaming. Yet how many of these delays and broken promises do we remember after the products have been in our hands for a few weeks/months? Pretty much none of them. Anyone who thinks the Rift's chances have been damaged as a result of the delays and Luckey's twitter comments, is deluding himself.

Or the fact that the Vive is already 6 months ahead on motion control and significantly father ahead on tracking technology, room scale, through view camera, etc... will mean that Vive 2.0 will also be significantly further ahead than Rift 2.0. Vive does have to play catch-up a bit with finish and ergonomics while Rift has to catch up on basic functionality.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Or the fact that the Vive is already 6 months ahead on motion control and significantly father ahead on tracking technology, room scale, through view camera, etc... will mean that Vive 2.0 will also be significantly further ahead than Rift 2.0. Vive does have to play catch-up a bit with finish and ergonomics while Rift has to catch up on basic functionality.

Just because the Vive has motion controllers out in the wild and the Rift doesn't doesn't mean that Oculus if behind in terms of tech behind the scenes. The Touch can already do things that the Vive can't such as basic finger tracking.

It seems like Oculus could have released what they already had but have said they have some new things they want to add before release plus the games designed around Touch weren't ready yet.

Vive has theirs out for consumers but it obvious they released early since most of the software has very much a tech demo quality to it. There is no doubt the Rift launch games feel much more like complete games than the the Vive ones.

I'm still debating on keeping my Vive order since it'll end up being almost $500 Canadian more than what I paid for the Rift.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It sounds like Vive has other areas still in need of improvement. Recently read this article about display discrepancies with Elite between the Rift and Vive:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/htc-vives-resolution-issue-in-elite-dangerous-is-damning

At first I was glad to hear that Frontier Developments was looking into the problem in search for a solution, but as I've read additional responses I've been getting a bad impression. Take for example the following:

When we say 'feedback' in situations like this, where we've acknowledged that there is an issue, then take it to mean 'additional information we can use on our work to improve things'. This seems to be a combination of aliasing and the way ED is displayed on the Vive's larger FOV when compared to the Rift, so it isn't quite as simple as changing a value here and there.

And another one:

The images the client provides the Vive are the same as the ones provided to the Rift. There isn't a Vive 'version' of the Elite: Dangerous client - this issue comes from how these images are displayed by the headset. As mentioned, we hope to introduce measures to help mitigate the problem from our side.

In addition to reading the last comments by Frontier Developments, what really sells me on the HTC Vive HMD having some design complexities or shortcomings is when I look around in space environments. I've noticed that there's a lack of depth with distant objects in cases of focus to infinity, particularly with skyboxes —there's a discussion about this here. In the case of Elite: Dangerous, this means that the beautiful space backdrops are sincerely artificial looking.

At first I was convinced that this was a general technical issue with first generation virtual reality. Then, I did some research, particularly by reading the impressions of consumers who own both the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift CV1. As I've read in every single case, the Oculus Rift CV1 comes ahead both in image quality and focus to infinity, resulting in a much better experience in Elite: Dangerous.

Based on my limited testing, I am under the impression that a major part of these image quality issues stem from the display design of the HTC Vive. This includes everything from its screen to its field of view (FoV) and lenses. When playing other games I haven't had too much trouble reading text that's in the "sweet spot", but these games have been optimized specifically for HTC Vive. Not every game will be HTC Vive exclusive, and in the case of most large-budget titles that support VR in the near future, Oculus Rift CV1 will be the primary HMD to receive development time, just like in the case of Elite: Dangerous.

Sky Chief

Just because the Vive has motion controllers out in the wild and the Rift doesn't doesn't mean that Oculus if behind in terms of tech behind the scenes. The Touch can already do things that the Vive can't such as basic finger tracking.

It seems like Oculus could have released what they already had but have said they have some new things they want to add before release plus the games designed around Touch weren't ready yet.

Vive has theirs out for consumers but it obvious they released early since most of the software has very much a tech demo quality to it. There is no doubt the Rift launch games feel much more like complete games than the the Vive ones.

I'm still debating on keeping my Vive order since it'll end up being almost $500 Canadian more than what I paid for the Rift.

Basically, my whole point is right now Valve is ahead. Saying Touch will be a better motion control system or not is pure speculation and nobody knows how Valve and HTC will react and/or iterate in the near future.

It sounds like Vive has other areas still in need of improvement. Recently read this article about display discrepancies with Elite between the Rift and Vive:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/htc-vives-resolution-issue-in-elite-dangerous-is-damning

This is just a software issue

XiaNaphryz

This is just a software issue

The article makes it sound like it's also partially due to how the Vive headset is designed? It's a long article well beyond the snippet I posted.

At first I was glad to hear that Frontier Developments was looking into the problem in search for a solution, but as I've read additional responses I've been getting a bad impression. Take for example the following:

This seems to be a combination of aliasing and the way ED is displayed on the Vive's larger FOV when compared to the Rift, so it isn't quite as simple as changing a value here and there.

Based on my limited testing, I am under the impression that a major part of these image quality issues stem from the display design of the HTC Vive. This includes everything from its screen to its field of view (FoV) and lenses. When playing other games I haven't had too much trouble reading text that's in the "sweet spot", but these games have been optimized specifically for HTC Vive. Not every game will be HTC Vive exclusive, and in the case of most large-budget titles that support VR in the near future, Oculus Rift CV1 will be the primary HMD to receive development time, just like in the case of Elite: Dangerous.

And if by "just a software issue" you mean drivers or API, that's not something you can just hand wave away. Those are key elements for all the VR companies involved.

Tain

Hasn't it been confirmed that SteamVR Elite renders at a sub-native resolution due to a bug? Where the Oculus version will actually be supersampling?

If so, that's probably like 98% of the difference and FOV/sweet spot stuff is probably the remaining 2%.

What? Where did you read that? Here's a video by a Fantastic Contraption developer with Oculus Rift using a 3 meter by 3 meter room-tracking area using the default USB cables that came with the Oculus Touch dev kit, no tracking degradation whatsoever:

http://youtu.be/zdU_OGCVjVU

And here's the same developer maxing it out with extension cables so that the cameras are 18 feet apart (note that Vive's software recommends only 15 feet apart for theirs):

http://youtu.be/BEhOivWqGmA

The level at which Constellation worsens with scale is minimal. Drastically more than the Vive's lighthouses will, but yeah. It can be done within a small room, or even a big room without anything crazy happening.

In fairness, they're both entirely comparable. The biggest issue is that Oculus didn't launch with it, won't bundle it with the headset by default for the foreseeable future, and there's a disturbing likelihood that many Rift games will be seated only experiences, when they could totally support roomscale. I really like Oculus. I liked Luckey, Carmack being onboard was a huge plus, and I had always felt they were doing the most interesting, innovative stuff within this space. I kickstarted the original devkit, I bought a DK2 seconds after it was available. I even bought a Galaxy S6 just to use the Gear VR. I love virtual reality, and really feel that it's the future of media as a whole. And as much as I felt a sense of brand loyalty to Oculus, I'm going to choose the Vive long term, at least with this generation of headsets.

In a few days when my Rift delivers, I'll post detailed impressions if anyone is interested. I'd like to think I'm going into this with an open mind, and honestly I'm excited to see what Oculus have to offer. That said, I don't touch the non-roomscale games in my VR library anymore. They just seem incredibly dull to me.

In areas you care about, and only in what has been actually released. Others have different areas they care about.

I think both have their advantages, but Steam is one big reason imo.

Oculus Home is a really really really bad storefront. Every IT-intern could have seen what that storefront need (I mean you can only pay with CC yet. In europe having a CC is not as common as in america), no cloud-saves, no achievement, no chatting-tool, no backing up files, no reviews, no refunds, devs reporting they were rejected without any reason, no regional pricing etc.

And the storefront is a pretty big and important tool for VR. I just dont understand how Oculus comes from sth. like Oculus Share to what we have now.

I said it before, but on Steam almost every day we see new VR titles for both Oculus and Vive, but on Oculus we got about 5 new games/experiences since release, which is a shame.

I am not talking about both headsets itself, because both seem to be great products, but Oculus really has a problem with their storefront and their communication.

XiaNaphryz

Hasn't it been confirmed that SteamVR Elite renders at a sub-native resolution due to a bug? Where the Oculus version will actually be supersampling?

I honestly have no idea, I recently saw that article and posted it in the general High-End VR thread to try and get more info from people who have tried it on either headset. And from what it sounds like from another poster in that thread, Elite doesn't look all that great on the Rift either no matter what resolution he tried all the way up to 4k, so I dunno if there's any supersampling going on there either.

Peterthumpa

I honestly have no idea, I recently saw that article and posted it in the general High-End VR thread to try and get more info from people who have tried it on either headset. And from what it sounds like from another poster in that thread, Elite doesn't look all that great on the Rift either no matter what resolution he tried all the way up to 4k, so I dunno if there's any supersampling going on there either.
I'll double check it tonight. Honestly, I don't remember if I launched it from Oculus Home or Steam VR, so maybe that's the issue.

Someone on the Vive subreddit was suggesting that it's not rendering anything incorrectly.

I do vaguely recall a ED dev posting in the same sub (different thread) about investigating the problem, but it seems likely that there isn't anything Vive specific going on. It looks fairly awful on my 970, but I tried it on a friend's drastically more powerful rig and it's ever so slightly better when you set the downsampling to x2.

Oculus Home is a really really really bad storefront. Every IT-intern could have seen what that storefront need (I mean you can only pay with CC yet. In europe having a CC is not as common as in america), no cloud-saves, no achievement, no chatting-tool, no backing up files, no reviews, no refunds, devs reporting they were rejected without any reason, no regional pricing etc.

I agree that Oculus Home has a long way to go. Yet even at its current level, the way in which its integration with the headset itself simplifies the process of launching VR games can't be overstated. Just for that fact alone, I'm right now more interested in buying my VR games (the ones I'll never play without VR, anyway) on Oculus Home than on Steam.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it get improved though. I can think of a million ways to improve it, but at least they nailed the most important parts on day 1: Headset integration and game launching.

I said it before, but on Steam almost every day we see new VR titles for both Oculus and Vive, but on Oculus we got about 5 new games/experiences since release, which is a shame.

I haven't followed the recent VR releases on Steam since I assume they are more focused on Vive than the Rift, but the frequency of releases on Steam in general is a well-known problem caused by a too open platform with too little quality control. You're at the mercy of reviews and forum comments if you want to know if that Steam VR game that's tempting you will run satisfactorily on your system, or at all. Oculus, in the meantime, do strict testing on the games on their platform. They have to run at a certain framerate consistently on the baseline target platform, they have to support a specific series of Windows versions, they have to integrate well with Oculus Home, and so on. It's perhaps too strict right now, as seen with the non-traditional way Virtual Desktop was released, despite it being present in Oculus Home.

At least Steam offers refunds, which goes a long way towards compensating for its flaws in quality control.

Tain

wonderpug

Neo Member
Does Elite Dangerous seems really low res to everyone else? It's a striking difference between Lucky's Tale or even Eve.

I mentioned this in the other thread as well, but if you've got a 980Ti or better, these Nvidia settings for Elite work really well for me.

First in Elite Dangerous set the primary display at the lowest resolution possible.
Go to nvidia control panel in manage 3D settings.
Click on program settings and add Elite dangerous executable. * Set your Anisotropic Filtering to 16X.
Anti-Aliasing mode - Override any application settings.
Anti-Aliasing settings 8X
Anti-Aliasing Transparency : Multi-sample
MFAA On
Power Management mode : Prefer Maximum Performance.
Texture Filtering : On
Triple Buffering : On
In game settings he "set it to VR high and everything else to ultra or high."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The level at which Constellation worsens with scale is minimal. Drastically more than the Vive's lighthouses will, but yeah. It can be done within a small room, or even a big room without anything crazy happening.

In fairness, they're both entirely comparable. The biggest issue is that Oculus didn't launch with it, won't bundle it with the headset by default for the foreseeable future, and there's a disturbing likelihood that many Rift games will be seated only experiences, when they could totally support roomscale. I really like Oculus. I liked Luckey, Carmack being onboard was a huge plus, and I had always felt they were doing the most interesting, innovative stuff within this space. I kickstarted the original devkit, I bought a DK2 seconds after it was available. I even bought a Galaxy S6 just to use the Gear VR. I love virtual reality, and really feel that it's the future of media as a whole. And as much as I felt a sense of brand loyalty to Oculus, I'm going to choose the Vive long term, at least with this generation of headsets.

In a few days when my Rift delivers, I'll post detailed impressions if anyone is interested. I'd like to think I'm going into this with an open mind, and honestly I'm excited to see what Oculus have to offer. That said, I don't touch the non-roomscale games in my VR library anymore. They just seem incredibly dull to me.

The same guy just did another video using USB extensions to mount the cameras in opposing corners. Some issues with poor cables aside, it generally tracks well. However he did notice drop off in accuracy at around 3m from the camera, resulting in jitter and dropped tracking.

I just fired up Elite: Dangerous briefly on my Rift, and it looked the same as it did on the DK2 as far as I can tell, only with the advantages of the commercial Rift (ATW, no chromatic aberration, severely reduced SDE, etc). I'm only using a GTX 780 so far though, so my system isn't exactly the best to use as a comparison. Might wait with Elite until I get a GTX 1080, or at least until The Engineers launches for it.

vermadas

I think both have their advantages, but Steam is one big reason imo.

And the storefront is a pretty big and important tool for VR. I just dont understand how Oculus comes from sth. like Oculus Share to what we have now.

Yes, Steam has overwhelmingly more features than Oculus Store. Given the choice, I will only buy from Oculus Store if that is the only option. Yes, it's quite clear Oculus has not put in a lot of resources into their store front compared to hardware and content.

However, all those features are not trivial to implement. It's easy to see what the competition is doing and throw out a list of things a storefront "needs". But from a software engineering perspective, every single one requires lots of UI work, back-end work, QA, testing, etc. Oculus is starting from scratch. It will never be at feature parity with Steam.

I'm not discounting that the issues exist. I'm just tired of seeing you post about it in a condescending way, as if Oculus could pump out all those features in a matter of weeks.

Enordash

Yep, just got mine today. Tried Lucky's Tale first and holy fuck, this is Mario 64 levels of awesomeness. I just couldn't believe it, I was INSIDE that world. I could write a whole page of things to talk about the Rift, but I just want to go back to it. Sorry guys, peace.

EDIT: Is there a GAF friends list?

Not sure about an established friends list, but you (or anyone else) can add me if you want: Enordash.

So far, Lucky's Tale has been the best looking game for me (sporting a GTX970). I wonder how much better I can get games like Chronos to look with a GPU upgrade. You should come back with impressions later on when you find the time.

I agree that Oculus Home has a long way to go. Yet even at its current level, the way in which its integration with the headset itself simplifies the process of launching VR games can't be overstated. Just for that fact alone, I'm right now more interested in buying my VR games (the ones I'll never play without VR, anyway) on Oculus Home than on Steam.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it get improved though. I can think of a million ways to improve it, but at least they nailed the most important parts on day 1: Headset integration and game launching.

I completely agree with this. Oculus Home definitely has a ways to go, but the convenience that it provides is immensely important to me. I'm also personally OK with the stricter quality control with Home. I would like to see a refund policy sooner than later though.

Holy shit, I just tried the Apollo 11 VR Experience on the Rift, and I'm blown away. This must be the most powerful experience I've had in VR so far, both because it portrays a real event that pretty much none of us will ever be able to try for ourselves in our lifetimes, and because it's very well made. I didn't time it, but I think it lasted for more than 30 minutes, yet time flew by.

My impressions of how the moon landing took place and what it looked like are completely changed now. Seeing video and pictures couldn't prepare me for this. The sight of the atmosphere gradually receding while looking through the tiny windows in the cramped cockpit was breathtaking and claustrophobic at once. Seeing Earth far below as the lander detached to fly towards that tiny sphere, the moon, in the distance. Gazing out the windows as the lander slowly descended, taking in just how desolate our moon is. Looking up from outside the parked lander and realizing how dominating the Sun is without an atmosphere to filter it. Seeing Neil Armstrong bounce past you across the surface while he talks about its charcoal texture, all the while being able to look down and see it for yourself. Sitting inside the tiny capsule as it finally descends towards the Earth in a chaotic turmoil while a flaming inferno rages on the other side of what feels like very thin walls and windows. And much more.

I can't recommend it enough. It's very relieving to know that the Kickstarter campaign for this, which I backed, ended up this good.

This sounds fascinating. Thanks for the impressions!

AgeEighty

Have people generally been having their orders shipped before, during, or after the shipping window they got on the 12th of April?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Have people generally been having their orders shipped before, during, or after the shipping window they got on the 12th of April?

My shipping window was 5/2-5/12 (also received the 1-3 week email back in the day)
I was billed and processed 5/2 evening. Hoping to have it in hand by the weekend.

Anybody know what method these ship in the USA? (1day, 2day, ground?)

Posting from inside Virtual Desktop.

This thing is rad. I need to figure out how to put it on while I am wearing my glasses though. I can't even get it on. I have to admit. I am nervous as hell to do anything with it right now. I am scared I am going to break it.

XiaNaphryz

This thing is rad. I need to figure out how to put it on while I am wearing my glasses though. I can't even get it on. I have to admit. I am nervous as hell to do anything with it right now. I am scared I am going to break it.

How big are your glasses?

It's fairly solid, don't be -too- worried.

As for your glasses, if your frames are too big you might have to remove that edge foam from around the Rift (it clicks in and out).
That's what I had to do for a friend with big glasses.
Or get smaller frames...

I haven't followed the recent VR releases on Steam since I assume they are more focused on Vive than the Rift, but the frequency of releases on Steam in general is a well-known problem caused by a too open platform with too little quality control. You're at the mercy of reviews and forum comments if you want to know if that Steam VR game that's tempting you will run satisfactorily on your system, or at all.

The thing about Oculus Home is, that in the storefront you cant even see how good that game is, which is actually pretty important especially considering how "vomit inducing" a game might be. These "intense" labels dont actually help anyone.

And not having refunds is also another thing. Imagine a game makes everyone sick. Like the VR implementation is so bad, that in 5 minutes you get sick. You bought a useless game.

However, all those features are not trivial to implement. It's easy to see what the competition is doing and throw out a list of things a storefront "needs". But from a software engineering perspective, every single one requires lots of UI work, back-end work, QA, testing, etc. Oculus is starting from scratch. It will never be at feature parity with Steam.

I'm not discounting that the issues exist. I'm just tired of seeing you post about it in a condescending way, as if Oculus could pump out all those features in a matter of weeks.

The thing is still that some of the things can easily be adopted. Im not talking about refunds or sth. like that, since that will be a legal problem, but a chat. I mean Steam especially has a beta-client, where people can test out features. And even me, without any IT-background, coded a simple chat-message between two PCs over the Internet about 10 years ago.
Another thing are cloud-saves. Steam has a simple solution: As a dev you tell where the save-files are located and then it uploads those files after a playing session to their Servers, where they are stored. When you download the game from another PC it downloads them from there. I doubt its that hard to pull of.
Also a simple search engine...

I also dont want them to pull them off in a matter of weeks, but thats actually another problem. I am not the only one talking about these issues, but Oculus lacks when it comes to communication. I can tell you when the community has a problem with the balancing in TF2 or CS:Go, at least you get some message from the guys at Valve in charge of these games: "We are looking into it."

I just think these are things that are not really hard to see before launching sth. like that. I am just disappointed in Oculus, because, even though the DK1+2 had big shipping issues, during that time the communication was far better and Oculus worked together WITH the community. Right now it seems that, judging by some posts by Palmer, that the community is toxic and just wants, wants, wants...

I haven't followed the recent VR releases on Steam since I assume they are more focused on Vive than the Rift, but the frequency of releases on Steam in general is a well-known problem caused by a too open platform with too little quality control.

Its not just shovelware thats being released and its not actually focused on the Vive, but both plattforms. Peoples games who have been rejected by Oculus are appearing there like The Visitor. In the last week on Steam we got iomoon, Kismet, City Z, Stealth Labyrinth, Stealth Labyrinth, Fated and Valiant. And 1 week before Pollen, (I am also aware that Pollen is coming to Oculus Home, but right now the VR support in beta is only available on Steam), Deer Man, Poly Runner, Collider and Technolust. And these are just the Oculus compatible titles.
On Oculus Home we got The Climb, Fated and Technolust.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
After playing on the rift for an hour or two last night I noticed today that my glasses were scratched, when I got back home I noticed a scratch on my rift lenses too. I guess it is not possible to get replacement lenses? the scratch on the rift are not that bad, but I'm going to need new lenses in my glasses.

Enordash

And not having refunds is also another thing. Imagine a game makes everyone sick. Like the VR implementation is so bad, that in 5 minutes you get sick. You bought a useless game.

Although I agree that Home should implement a refund policy as soon as possible, a game like the one described above should never make its way onto the platform due to its stricter regulation.

Although I agree that Home should implement a refund policy as soon as possible, a game like the one described above should never make its way onto the platform due to its stricter regulation.

It doesnt need to be a game like that, but maybe a game, where a lot of people dont have problems, but you somehow cant run it well and so you get headaches. The thing is VR is something that can potentially make you sick (far more than just normal motion sickness), so a refund option or at least a review section would be nice to have and I am sure we will get it later (afaik the GearVR store got sth. like that).

Enordash

It doesnt need to be a game like that, but maybe a game, where a lot of people dont have problems, but you somehow cant run it well and so you get headaches. The thing is VR is something that can potentially make you sick (far more than just normal motion sickness), so a refund option or at least a review section would be nice to have and I am sure we will get it later (afaik the GearVR store got sth. like that).

Yea, hopefully it's on the way soon. For now, we'll have to live with the intensity rating which has honestly been right on point for me. Not saying it's the preferred way, but I'm glad it's currently there.

Yea, hopefully it's on the way soon. For now, we'll have to live with the intensity rating which has honestly been right on point for me. Not saying it's the preferred way, but I'm glad it's currently there.

Sure. Its just that to me the whole Oculus Home client (not the VR one, I heard to start games its fantastic) feels so rushed. I mean it doesnt even have a search option (at least I didnt find one).

XiaNaphryz

Another thing are cloud-saves. Steam has a simple solution: As a dev you tell where the save-files are located and then it uploads those files after a playing session to their Servers, where they are stored. When you download the game from another PC it downloads them from there. I doubt its that hard to pull of.

That's not as easy to implement as you may think. What cloud provider you use for hosting, setting up the infrastructure, establishing monitoring and failover, testing and debugging of all of that, etc. You seem to be highly simplifying/trivializing the total amount of work involved for what you consider to be simple/easy features.

JambiBum

The thing about Oculus Home is, that in the storefront you cant even see how good that game is, which is actually pretty important especially considering how "vomit inducing" a game might be. These "intense" labels dont actually help anyone.

The thing is still that some of the things can easily be adopted. Im not talking about refunds or sth. like that, since that will be a legal problem, but a chat. I mean Steam especially has a beta-client, where people can test out features. And even me, without any IT-background, coded a simple chat-message between two PCs over the Internet about 10 years ago.
Also a simple search engine...

I also dont want them to pull them off in a matter of weeks, but thats actually another problem. I am not the only one talking about these issues, but Oculus lacks when it comes to communication. I can tell you when the community has a problem with the balancing in TF2 or CS:Go, at least you get some message from the guys at Valve in charge of these games: "We are looking into it."

I just think these are things that are not really hard to see before launching sth. like that. I am just disappointed in Oculus, because, even though the DK1+2 had big shipping issues, during that time the communication was far better and Oculus worked together WITH the community. Right now it seems that, judging by some posts by Palmer, that the community is toxic and just wants, wants, wants...

Its not just shovelware thats being released and its not actually focused on the Vive, but both plattforms. Peoples games who have been rejected by Oculus are appearing there like The Visitor. In the last week on Steam we got iomoon, Kismet, City Z, Stealth Labyrinth, Stealth Labyrinth, Fated and Valiant. And 1 week before Pollen, (I am also aware that Pollen is coming to Oculus Home, but right now the VR support in beta is only available on Steam), Deer Man, Poly Runner, Collider and Technolust. And these are just the Oculus compatible titles.
On Oculus Home we got The Climb, Fated and Technolust.

I'm not one to defend some of the decisions Oculus has made, but here's the thing, you haven't even used Home yet because you don't have a headset and you are only going off of second hand information from reddit as you have mentioned before. Home works 100% better than SteamVR in every VR related way. While the Steam storefront is better because of refunds, reviews, purchase options etc., Steam took years to implement those things. Home isn't even 6 months old yet. I've seen you state before that Oculus can implement those things in a day which is just blatantly false because that's not how software development works.

Steam has a notoriously lack luster approval process for getting games on the store front. There are tons of garbage games on that store. Just because VR games are going up on Steam doesn't mean that they are worth playing. I check Steam every day for new releases and most of the VR games that are released are garbage honestly. Sometimes there are great things (like iO Moon for example) but the things that have been getting released lately are just one off experiences or unfinished games. Because of the nature of VR possibly making people sick I'd much rather have a stricter approval process in what gets to the store. Oculus has their early access/concepts section as well which is where those unfinished games should go. Right now on steam the majority of unfinished VR games aren't going to EA and instead they are going up on the store. Some games go to EA but it's a crapshoot on which are going where.

Yes, steam has the better overall store/shopping experience for games, but when it comes to VR I'd much rather use Home than Steam. Steam has had years to refine their storefront so of course that side of things is better. In six months time if Oculus hasn't made quality changes to Home then I'll gladly agree with you.

Ok. Read a tutorial. Got it on with glasses. Much better.

So I am supposed to be putting this on face first and then pull the back back. I wish I knew that earlier. lol. Feels great. I tried playing Eve and it crashed on me. Need to dig into some more games. Going to eat first.

Love this thing.

Glasses fit fine. I need to get my eyes checked anyway so I may grab smaller frames.

Also, how do I get the actual desktop setting in Virtual Desktop? I don't see it.

That's not as easy to implement as you may think. What cloud provider you use for hosting, setting up the infrastructure, establishing monitoring and failover, testing and debugging of all of that, etc. You seem to be highly simplifying/trivializing the total amount of work involved for what you consider to be simple/easy features.

We are talking about Facebook here. I am sure they would know about sth. like that.

'm not one to defend some of the decisions Oculus has made, but here's the thing, you haven't even used Home yet because you don't have a headset and you are only going off of second hand information from reddit as you have mentioned before.

I am using the Oculus Home desktop client.

XiaNaphryz

We are talking about Facebook here. I am sure they would know about sth. like that.

I'm not saying it's a hard problem to be solved, I'm saying there's more work involved than you're making it out to be. It's not something you can just "flip a switch" to implement even if Facebook is involved. When time is limited, you have to prioritize the features you implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom