• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone who has their Rift (or Vive) having trouble going back to 2D games now or at least being less excited about them? E3 is coming up in a month and this is the least excited I can ever remember being. I just want more VR games.

Anyone who has their Rift (or Vive) having trouble going back to 2D games now or at least being less excited about them? E3 is coming up in a month and this is the least excited I can ever remember being. I just want more VR games.

PSVR stuff has got to be at E3... right?

I played some MLB The Show/Street Fighter V in Virtual Desktop last night. That was neat.

Enk

makes good threads.

I still don't have my CV1 yet, but with the DK1 and 2 usually the thought that always came up when I go back to playing on the TV was "I wonder what this game would be like in VR". I don't have much trouble going back, but that thought is always there in the back of my mind. Even now when I'm playing Street Fighter V I wonder how cool it would be to play the game as a spectator in the crowd. As far as E3 is concerned, you can be assured that VR will have some kind of presence there.

I still don't have my CV1 yet, but with the DK1 and 2 usually the thought that always came up when I go back to playing on the TV was "I wonder what this game would be like in VR". I don't have much trouble going back, but that thought is always there in the back of my mind. Even now when I'm playing Street Fighter V I wonder how cool it would be to play the game as a spectator in the crowd. As far as E3 is concerned, you can be assured that VR will have some kind of presence there.

Fighting games is one of those genres that would benefit quite a bit from VR. Not from a gameplay perspective, but simply for the immersion and to enhance the feeling of it being a spectator sport. It's not something that can be just tacked on to an existing game though, sadly. It'd have to be designed for it from the start.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
PSVR stuff has got to be at E3... right?

I played some MLB The Show/Street Fighter V in Virtual Desktop last night. That was neat.

I can't get excited about PSVR knowing it's tied to an underpowered console. We'll see what E3 brings though. Not sure I need all 3 VR headsets though.

True. I hope they're ready to unveil all the Touch games.

Fighting games is one of those genres that would benefit quite a bit from VR. Not from a gameplay perspective, but simply for the immersion and to enhance the feeling of it being a spectator sport. It's not something that can be just tacked on to an existing game though, sadly. It'd have to be designed for it from the start.

There are certain times in Chronos where you're fighting someone close to the camera and it's awesome. I love to see Soul Calibur in VR.

PSVR has me excited simply because I know it will have the largest lineup of games out of the gate. Sure, it's under powered but it has the potential to be a lot of fun in the living room.

Also, I love the form factor of the HMD itself.

twisted89

Is it a relatively uniform pattern, or more like a bunch of blotches? I had bizarre blotches in my right screen and Oculus replaced my headset. Terrible video demonstration here. Doesn't seem like it's common, since I was asking if anybody had similar experiences for awhile with no responses, and Oculus told me that I was the first to report something like this.

Its quite uniform, very grainy but can make out larger square blocks like a grid.

This is me. I still enjoy 2D game but there is always the "what if"

Enordash

PSVR has me excited simply because I know it will have the largest lineup of games out of the gate. Sure, it's under powered but it has the potential to be a lot of fun in the living room.

I'm hoping we get a good bit of overlap between PSVR and PCVR.

I would love for there to be some sort of quick swap between two things in Home. I do a lot of messaging through my PC so being able to virtually peek at the desktop at any time would be so great.

There are certain times in Chronos where you're fighting someone close to the camera and it's awesome. I love to see Soul Calibur in VR.

Chronos definitely shines when you are right up on the action. It has been said over and over, but the sense of scale in that game truly elevates the experience.

due to Oculus' cock up of the order I bought, i will not be getting a copy of eve. if anyone has one that they want to sell, please send me a PM :)

looks interesting to try, but not something worth $60 to me

due to Oculus' cock up of the order I bought, i will not be getting a copy of eve. if anyone has one that they want to sell, please send me a PM :)

looks interesting to try, but not something worth $60 to me

What? I assume you ordered one off the website? If that's the case you should be entitled to it.

Is there any website similar to the old Oculus Share? I just found one, where you can also see which projects have 1.3 support, but they only had like 2 projects.

What? I assume you ordered one off the website? If that's the case you should be entitled to it.

i bought it off someone from kijiji

when this person checked out, the website spat out an error and said the order did not go through. due to this there was no order # or anything. a month later they get a UPS notification and their card was charged, couple of days later the Oculus showed up. he has a valid receipt showing the charge from oculus, the shipping notification, the packing slip, etc.. ,etc.. which were all given to me for warranty purposes

contacted support with the waybill, serial number, etc... and they are unable to find the order and not willing to link it to my account as a result. so due to their system eff up, i do not get a copy of eve

After spending time with the Vive and the Rift, the comfort issue is a little complicated for me. When the Rift is first put on, it is more comfortable, easier to put on and easier to adjust, however, my Rift gets way warmer than my Vive. After about an hour the Rift is uncomfortably hot on my forehead.

After spending time with the Vive and the Rift, the comfort issue is a little complicated for me. When the Rift is first put on, it is more comfortable, easier to put on and easier to adjust, however, my Rift gets way warmer than my Vive. After about an hour the Rift is uncomfortably hot on my forehead.

Make sure you have the headset loose on your face. The bottom should be slightly resting around your cheekbones, and the top has almost no pressure for me (which probably allows the heat to escape better). You want it just tight enough on your face where you can shake your head "no" and not have it move. Also, make sure you adjust the tilt of the headset itself (as in, grab the front part of the unit and twist it up and down) because obviously if it's tilted upwards it will also trap heat more. Heat hasn't really been an issue for me, though it does get warm after an extended session. I've been able to go 2-3 hours with only some sweating and not like unbearably hot.

i bought it off someone from kijiji

when this person checked out, the website spat out an error and said the order did not go through. due to this there was no order # or anything. a month later they get a UPS notification and their card was charged, couple of days later the Oculus showed up. he has a valid receipt showing the charge from oculus, the shipping notification, the packing slip, etc.. ,etc.. which were all given to me for warranty purposes

contacted support with the waybill, serial number, etc... and they are unable to find the order and not willing to link it to my account as a result. so due to their system eff up, i do not get a copy of eve

That's a bummer.

Your only option would be to ask whomever you bought it from to log into the Oculus site. It would be really surprising if the Rift didn't show an order for their account when they logged in. If they can find the order, they just need to open up the order details and at the bottom in the "Special Offers" section there's a copy of the Eve Valkyrie code. They should have also gotten it in email from Oculus.

I will say, currently Eve: Valkyrie is not the greatest game so it's not like you are missing out on some masterpiece. If you have Elite: Dangerous that is a much better space game right now. CCP has said they plan on updating Valkyrie a lot so who knows, it might end up better than it is now, but the game just isn't played a lot by people so you tend to play with bots more than players online. Plus, if you end up not getting a code, the game is likely to go F2P eventually because what you get with the Rift is the "Founder's Pack". If you end up trying the game then and don't like it, then you haven't really lost anything since it's shit like XP booster and the like in the pack (outside of access to the game now).

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Lame.

My US Oculus preorder just shipped UPS Ground.
Been hearing these have been going out Next Day Air Saver.
Guess that has changed.

StudioTan

Lame.

Guess that has changed.

Did you get a tracking number yet? Does it give an estimated delivery date?

Mine shipped from the US on a Friday night and got to Canada for Monday.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fuck

We were getting a bit ahead in Europe and were lagging in other areas so we tweaked supply flow. This said, next week we should be processing in Europe (Kickstarters and Preorders). I wouldn't expect anything this week so please save your F5 keys.

Very little (if anything) in Europe since the start of last week. Looks like next week now at the earliest so that'll be two weeks with nothing shipping.. Especially pissed about the KS units which were supposed to mostly ship last week of April which has clearly not happened. Just feels like oculus dicking us about now. Tell us something to shut us up for a couple of weeks, then just put us off again

Trojan

Lame.

Guess that has changed.

Don't worry, we've shipped your Oculus. It is nestled in a chicken coup on the back of a pickup truck, and should arrive in 12-16 days.

Sincerely,
Palmer Lucky

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
That's a bummer.

Your only option would be to ask whomever you bought it from to log into the Oculus site. It would be really surprising if the Rift didn't show an order for their account when they logged in. If they can find the order, they just need to open up the order details and at the bottom in the "Special Offers" section there's a copy of the Eve Valkyrie code. They should have also gotten it in email from Oculus.

I will say, currently Eve: Valkyrie is not the greatest game so it's not like you are missing out on some masterpiece. If you have Elite: Dangerous that is a much better space game right now. CCP has said they plan on updating Valkyrie a lot so who knows, it might end up better than it is now, but the game just isn't played a lot by people so you tend to play with bots more than players online. Plus, if you end up not getting a code, the game is likely to go F2P eventually because what you get with the Rift is the "Founder's Pack". If you end up trying the game then and don't like it, then you haven't really lost anything since it's shit like XP booster and the like in the pack (outside of access to the game now).

yea i had him do that, no order listed. so it's lost in the abyss somewhere on their end, even though he was charged and the item was delivered :/

oh well, i do have elite:dangerous and ive heard from others that its the better game as well so not a huge deal!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Bummer. When mine is finally ready - my window starts next week - I'd be perfectly willing to pay the original $30 for next day shipping, vs. free shipping and another week of waiting.

I would have paid to upgrade as well.
Palmer likes to twist the knife.

Ground shipping probably came up in his weekly "how can we be shitty to our early consumers" meeting.

LaneDS

Bummer. When mine is finally ready - my window starts next week - I'd be perfectly willing to pay the original $30 for next day shipping, vs. free shipping and another week of waiting.

Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried to make good on this and offered it for the next batch of shipments. I'd hope so, for those that are anxiously awaiting their preorders (a group I no longer include myself in).

Fuck

Very little (if anything) in Europe since the start of last week. Looks like next week now at the earliest so that'll be two weeks with nothing shipping.. Especially pissed about the KS units which were supposed to mostly ship last week of April which has clearly not happened. Just feels like oculus dicking us about now. Tell us something to shut us up for a couple of weeks, then just put us off again

Where did you read that?

robotrock

Banned
Shipping concern post, I know. I'll try and post a bunch of hardware and games impressions in here once I receive the thing, but...

My current shipping kerfuffle is seemingly the fact that people who ordered after me, in the same region, are getting their rifts processed before me. I haven't received any sort of shipping/processing email from Oculus, but I saw on reddit that people with 7:25+ order times were getting their orders processed, but me with a 7:01 got nothing. These are people in the same part of the US as me as well.

According to a post on reddit by Twig or whatever, shipping is now ground, not expedited.

So nice they update us like that. I am seriously disliking Oculus as a company more and more as this goes on.

I like their product, but they don't give a flying fuck about customer relations.

/rant off .... bleh. Mine would have to ship tomorrow to be here by my estimated window. And I haven't received anything.

Wallach

According to a post on reddit by Twig or whatever, shipping is now ground, not expedited.

So nice they update us like that. I am seriously disliking Oculus as a company more and more as this goes on.

I like their product, but they don't give a flying fuck about customer relations.

/rant off .... bleh. Mine would have to ship tomorrow to be here by my estimated window. And I haven't received anything.

I definitely think it is crappy to just silently do that and then update people after the switch. Especially considering the waived shipping charges are now not really worth much; I would rather pay for decent shipping than get free wack ground shipping. I don't even take the free shipping option on lesser purchases on stuff like Amazon a lot of the time.

Wow. So glad mine made it in under the wire for next day.

That sucks for everyone else though. At least give people the option to still pay for the expedited option if they want it the next day.

I wonder if the free shipping idea is costing them too much at expedited. That may have been a bad idea to offer as it.

----

Quick question regarding Project Cars. It looks like ass but I can't find any settings to tweak for VR mode that might improve it. Any ideas?

Foggy

We have shifted to Ground. The expedited shipping was always planned to be temporary. For most locations, this change makes a small difference in delivery timelines. Typically 1-2 days extra.

Wowwwwwwwwww. A couple days extra is no big deal, but just dropping that on people and saying it was always going to be temporary...yeesh. They really must feel confident that they'll connect with future waves of customers because they're burning bridges with reckless abandon, whether they deserve it or not. Personally, I only care if the product is good because that's what I'm paying for, but even I have to shake my head at this turn of events. Crazy.

LaneDS

I had already essentially made up my mind to sell, but today's downgrade to the "free shipping apology" really cemented it. Going to sell my DK2 as well, which has been great for the past two years, and just sit out VR for the time being. Oculus really made it clear what they think of their early supporters who preordered between the retail nonsense and this (relatively minor) shipping change today.

TheRed

Wow. So glad mine made it in under the wire for next day.

That sucks for everyone else though. At least give people the option to still pay for the expedited option if they want it the next day.

I wonder if the free shipping idea is costing them too much at expedited. That may have been a bad idea to offer as it.

----

Quick question regarding Project Cars. It looks like ass but I can't find any settings to tweak for VR mode that might improve it. Any ideas?

I'd like to know this too, I quit really quickly when I saw how bad it looked. Guess I might need an upgrade from 970 for that to look better.

I'd like to know this too, I quit really quickly when I saw how bad it looked. Guess I might need an upgrade from 970 for that to look better.

I have been overclocking my 970. I feel like it should look better than what I'm seeing. Not terrible but something is up.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Wowwwwwwwwww. A couple days extra is no big deal, but just dropping that on people and saying it was always going to be temporary...yeesh. They really must feel confident that they'll connect with future waves of customers because they're burning bridges with reckless abandon, whether they deserve it or not. Personally, I only care if the product is good because that's what I'm paying for, but even I have to shake my head at this turn of events. Crazy.

And these bridges are being burned for entirely no reason, at least in this case. If this was always the plan, why didn't they say so at the beginning? What was the criteria for the cutoff, the first X units or "until we feel like stopping?" If it was the first X units, why not tell us at the time of ordering if we made the cutoff? Let people who didn't make the cutoff pay to upgrade to faster shipping.

Heck, why even have a limited time for faster shipping? Just give everyone ground shipping from the start, and then we're all on the same plane -- nobody has to feel like they got shafted. I mean, we're still talking about orders that were all placed within 5 minutes of each other. It's absurd to tell someone at 7m02s that they ordered fast enough for next day air but the person at 7m03s clearly waited too long.

Agreed on all points. I'm really hyped for PSVR, and the lineup looks spectacular compared to the Rift and Vive's. I know it's early days, but I'm actually getting to a point were I might have every VR compatible title on Steam and Oculus home in a few months.

Peterthumpa

Cross posting from Reddit here:

So, I've been playing with my Rift for 3 days now and it is absolutely amazing. However, I'm not sure if that's just me, but why games like Farlands and Lucky's Tale (specially) are so much "cleaner" than say, Elite Dangerous?

At first, I was under the impression that it was a dark / light scenes thing, but started to play The Climb yesterday, and while the sense of scale and the graphics are breathtakingly beautiful, the landscape far away is quite blurry. Good example: I could barely discern the helicopter in the Canyon stage flying down low when it passes by, it was really, really blurry. If I had to bet, this is basically a resolution issue, but why is it so much less pronounced in Lucky's Tale? Is it just because the farthest point where you can look in that game is much closer than in The Climb? Does everyone else has the same feeling about it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Where did you read that?

Oculus subreddit, Europe shipping thread. Also I basically got a lovely response from the guy when I complained that his original, official statement on KS backers was wrong. Basically said it was free so why am I complaining, which is only a small step above 'it's a couple of Starbucks you whiny entitled gamers'.

Their new message is that KS units have been shipping since the end of April and will continue to ship. Which would be fine if they'd said that originally. They waited three weeks saying nothing, then raised hopes by saying most would ship by the end of April and won't even say they were wrong.

I didn't think RC Pro Am in VR would be a thing that I want but BlazeRush is fucking awesome. I couldn't find an online game though. Is no one playing this?

Just wondering, you can also play games in theatre mode on steam. Will these just look normal like on your monitor or in 3D?

Is HL2 playable on CV1? On Wikipedia it says DK1/2

Project Cars is broken for me in VR with SLI enabled. I had to disable it. It caused crazy ghosting, I'm thinking the 2 eyes were not being rendered in synch. That'll fuck with your brain.

Cross posting from Reddit here:

So, I've been playing with my Rift for 3 days now and it is absolutely amazing. However, I'm not sure if that's just me, but why games like Farlands and Lucky's Tale (specially) are so much "cleaner" than say, Elite Dangerous?

At first, I was under the impression that it was a dark / light scenes thing, but started to play The Climb yesterday, and while the sense of scale and the graphics are breathtakingly beautiful, the landscape far away is quite blurry. Good example: I could barely discern the helicopter in the Canyon stage flying down low when it passes by, it was really, really blurry. If I had to bet, this is basically a resolution issue, but why is it so much less pronounced in Lucky's Tale? Is it just because the farthest point where you can look in that game is much closer than in The Climb? Does everyone else has the same feeling about it?
Probably a combination of many things. LT has a very clean style which is ideal for the headset, and you rarely have to look at stuff that far away as you say. Some games may have a lower render target to improve performance, or ATW is kicking in more regularly. I've not played The Climb though, so I'm just guessing here.

Just wondering, you can also play games in theatre mode on steam. Will these just look normal like on your monitor or in 3D?
2D. Was pretty weird for me - I tried Toybox Turbos, a game I've enjoyed for many hours in VR on DK2. Playing it on CV1 on a giant 2D screen in VR messed with my brain a bit, as my subconscious was trying to interpret the display as VR. I guess it was the feeling of wearing a headset, combined with a game I'm used to seeing in VR, and the fact it was displayed on such a large screen that almost fills the entire headset FOV. I was very distracted by the fact it was running at a different framerate to the VR environment too. I don't think I'll be playing anything like this.

Crosspost from the VR thread, but beware about the Indiegala VR bundle:

The Indiegala VR bundle is stupid. Half of games in that bundle dont even have Vive or Oculus 1.3 support....

Out of those games only:

Spells and Stuff (Vive)
Nighttime Terror (Vive+Oculus)
Cat Interstellar (Oculus)
Gon' E-Choo! (Oculus)

have real 1.3 or Vive support.

These dont have 1.3/Vive support:

Doorways
Dungeon Hero
Heaven Island - VR MMO
Reflections
DREAMFLIGHT VR