• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

JambiBum

We are talking about Facebook here. I am sure they would know about sth. like that.

I am using the Oculus Home desktop client.
Which is a different experience and exactly my point. Steam as a desktop client is much better than Home. As a VR client, Home is much better.

Can't get sound working in SteamVR.

This product has the best new product smell ever.

Are you using multiple monitors? Sometimes the settings window pops up on a non-primary monitor. You can just peek out of the nose and drag it over quick.

The settings window is available. I just don't see the specific desktop theme. I can select a bunch of others but I have seen youtube vids of a desktop like setting that I really liked.

Closing Oculus home is how you turn the device off?

lmimmfn

The settings window is available. I just don't see the specific desktop theme. I can select a bunch of others but I have seen youtube vids of a desktop like setting that I really liked.

Set default audio device to the rift in control panel/sound for all steamvr games. There's a handy audio tool to easily do this, I have it installed but not at PC now, can post the name tomorrow.

JambiBum

Sort of. It still "runs" even with Home closed and the device being off of your head but it will still stay warm. It detects when you put it on and automatically starts home so it is always technically on. When I want to turn it off completely I just unplug the HDMI.

Enordash

Sort of. It still "runs" even with Home closed and the device being off of your head but it will still stay warm. It detects when you put it on and automatically starts home so it is always technically on. When I want to turn it off completely I just unplug the HDMI.

Any word on negative effects if you always leave it plugged in? Mine has been on for about a full week with little breaks.

JambiBum

Any word on negative effects if you always leave it plugged in? Mine has been on for about a full week with little breaks.

Besides it being warm already when you put it on? Not that I know of. I haven't seen anything here or on reddit stating that there are issues with it. I unplug mine so that it is cooler when I first put it on and as just an extra safety thing in case there are any unknown issues with leaving it plugged in.

Haint

That's not as easy to implement as you may think. What cloud provider you use for hosting, setting up the infrastructure, establishing monitoring and failover, testing and debugging of all of that, etc. You seem to be highly simplifying/trivializing the total amount of work involved for what you consider to be simple/easy features.

Wait, Valve doesn't host cloud saves off the back of their 30% cut? WAT?

Set default audio device to the rift in control panel/sound for all steamvr games. There's a handy audio tool to easily do this, I have it installed but not at PC now, can post the name tomorrow.

Thanks. I will look into it later. Bit of an annoyance.

Whoever invented home keys on a keyboard was thinking ahead to VR. I need them now more than ever.

JambiBum

So does anyone know if you can watch 3D videos in the Oculus video app or do you need something else to do it? I know the videos that are part of the app work, but I'm talking about videos from outside of it.

Just played some Street Fighter V from my PS4 via Virtual Desktop. Everything went surprisingly smooth.

Also, played Lucky's Tale and a bunch of Eve Valkyrie. I will have more on those later. (Hint: Love Lucky's Tale, though I am surprised it's the only thing that made me a little nauseous.)

TheRed

Was happy playing the Rift. Switched to my Vive now that it got here and played the Lab for an hour I was surprised that the image felt clearer and I thought I adjusted the Rift pretty well. Idk I will have to go back and forth more to compare. Anyway the Vive is really cool, my room is not too big but having space to take 1 or 2 steps in either direction is still really damn cool. Maybe the better clarity was due to Valve just being better at graphics then anything that anything Ive tried on the Rift so far. Hmm I will mess around with both more.

Enordash

Was happy playing the Rift. Switched to my Vive now that it got here and played the Lab for an hour I was surprised that the image felt clearer and I thought I adjusted the Rift pretty well. Idk I will have to go back and forth more to compare. Anyway the Vive is really cool, my room is not too big but having space to take 1 or 2 steps in either direction is still really damn cool. Maybe the better clarity was due to Valve just being better at graphics then anything that anything Ive tried on the Rift so far. Hmm I will mess around with both more.

The visual quality does seem to heavily depend on the style of the game and the colors used. As an example, the bright forest scene with the abstract animals in DreamDeck looks really great in my opinion. The dark browns and blues of Eve don't do it for me.

The visual quality does seem to heavily depend on the style of the game and the colors used. As an example, the bright forest scene with the abstract animals in DreamDeck looks really great in my opinion. The dark browns and blues of Eve don't do it for me.

Just from my few hours with the Rift I get exactly what you're talking about. Lucky's Tale looks incredible in the Rift while Eve really doesn't do it for me at all. The colour palette is off and the overall experience suffers because of it.

Don't think I will have a chance to even try Chronos or Elite: Dangerous tonight.

Sky Chief

The Lab does look way better than anything else on SteamVR

Enordash

Just from my few hours with the Rift I get exactly what you're talking about. Lucky's Tale looks incredible in the Rift while Eve really doesn't do it for me at all. The colour palette is off and the overall experience suffers because of it.

Don't think I will have a chance to even try Chronos or Elite: Dangerous tonight.

I'm guessing that devs will catch on to this as we move forward. I'd say that Chronos is kind of a mixed bag depending on where you are which further lends to color palette having a major effect. Lucky's Tale looks generally incredible from start to finish. I miss it a bit.

Wallach

Image quality wise, check out that UE4 Showdown demo in the Concepts section. It's just a brief demo reel but it really seemed to have IQ above anything else I've seen through the DK2. Shit's cool looking. Farlands is also supposed to be really nice looking but I haven't tried it since the DK2 tracking camera is kinda butts. I am just gonna wait for CV1 for that.

GeoGonzo

Farlands is super charming and doesn't get mentioned enough. It's pretty great as a short, comfortable, good looking VR experience.

Peterthumpa

Farlands is super charming and doesn't get mentioned enough. It's pretty great as a short, comfortable, good looking VR experience.

Indeed. And has absolutely amazing graphics. Actually, most of the exclusive Rift games are really awesome graphically.
Just started playing Chronos. HOLY SHIT.

Yeah, I gave it a try myself yesterday. It was a very basic kind of experience, but fun because of the collection element and the unique traversal mechanic.

I'm going to give it another go today to try the second environment.

Tadie

So there are pretty mixed impressions in the net for "The Climb".

Maybe I want to buy it for my Vive.

What do you guys think? 50€ isn't cheap at all.

I'm still pretty hyped by LT and BlazeRush. Man, BR is amazing!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Does blaze rush work well with revive? I was getting rock'n'roll racing vibes and in VR that could be cool, but I haven't bitten on anything from oculus store yet

Tadie

Does blaze rush work well with revive? I was getting rock'n'roll racing vibes and in VR that could be cool, but I haven't bitten on anything from oculus store yet

Yeah, BlazeRush works flawlessly.

Buy it!

10€ is really worth it.

I think it's the best game I've played on both Vive and Rift. It's excellent.

And it really works good with the Xbox One Controller?

The gameplay is fun?
Works really well, makes good use of the triggers and aiming is handled with your head. Seems counterintuitive and that using your hands with motion controllers, but it actually feels quite natural.
There's a good amount of content as well. Three mountains with an easy, medium and hard course, plus some bouldering stuff I haven't unlocked yet. On medium and hard it took me over 20 minutes to clear a course.

TheRed

Image quality wise, check out that UE4 Showdown demo in the Concepts section. It's just a brief demo reel but it really seemed to have IQ above anything else I've seen through the DK2. Shit's cool looking. Farlands is also supposed to be really nice looking but I haven't tried it since the DK2 tracking camera is kinda butts. I am just gonna wait for CV1 for that.

Thanks, i'll get to trying those out. It's very cool to be posting this from virtual desktop.

Peterthumpa

Works really well, makes good use of the triggers and aiming is handled everything with your head. Seems counterintuitive and that using your hands with motion controllers, but it actually feels quite natural.
There's a good amount of content as well. Three mountains with an easy, medium and hard course, plus some bouldering stuff I haven't unlocked yet. On medium and hard it took me over 20 minutes to clear a course.

Completely agree. It's a really well made game, it's worth the price.

Peterthumpa

Damn.....now I need to buy this game....

Is it more worth then Chronos?

Don't want to spend 100€ ;)

They're both very different games. They're basically part of the 5 must-have launch window games IMO - Blaze Rush, Lucky's Tale, Eve Valkyrie, Chronos and The Climb.

JambiBum

Ye're talking up Blaze Rush a lot, I must give it a look.

Unsure whether to pick up which if any from The Climb, Fate, Chronos or Adrift.

Keep it between Chronos and Climb. Chronos is a great game that should get you at least 20 or so hours of gameplay. The Climb has a large amount of replayability and is deeper than most people think. However, both of those games are 50 dollars each where as Adrift and Fate are both 20. I've heard good things about Fate but the only issue with it seems to be that it is short and no one really knows anything about how the episodic stuff is going to play out. No clue on Adrift though.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Ye're talking up Blaze Rush a lot, I must give it a look.

BlazeRush really is amazing. I was skeptical about it since it looks pretty ordinary in screenshots and flat videos, but it's incredible in VR. It's not like playing a new Death Rally clone, it's like digging up some actual old Micro Machine toys and somehow rigging them up with motors, remote controls, and tiny weapons.

twisted89

Either I just didn't notice it before (quite likely as more interested in the games) or my CV1 has developed some very weird grainy filter over everything in the last day.
It's like some horrible grey filter over everything that doesn't move at all, I definitely noticed the pixelation before which is what everyone seems to refer to as the screen door effect but this just looks like a dodgy OLED to me. Anyone else have this issue?

Sure. Its just that to me the whole Oculus Home client (not the VR one, I heard to start games its fantastic) feels so rushed. I mean it doesnt even have a search option (at least I didnt find one).

MVP baby, that how a majority of software launches. IPhone didn't even have a store, Steam was just DRM.

Does it need features? Sure. But when companies like MS can't put basic shit into things like SQL Server until it's been done to death by add-ons, well, money isn't everything. It just takes time. It's better to have it out there making money.

It's a month old. I'd love a lot of the features that decade-old software has but you have to start somewhere or you get feature creep.

And this early on the reviews would be fucking terrible. So few Rift owners but quite a few people who would go out of theor way to install and downvote. I base this on how many people I see dislike/hate the Rift and Facebook but post more than fanatics to reddit and this site.

Either I just didn't notice it before (quite likely as more interested in the games) or my CV1 has developed some very weird grainy filter over everything in the last day.
It's like some horrible grey filter over everything that doesn't move at all, I definitely noticed the pixelation before which is what everyone seems to refer to as the screen door effect but this just looks like a dodgy OLED to me. Anyone else have this issue?

This seems to be related to how rendering is handled at any given moment. I get the impression that the grey "filter" shows up when the game isn't really trying to render anything. It'll go back to deep blacks and crisp colors as soon as things start to happen. It can get distracting when it's there though, since unlike the images on the screen, this feels like it's right next to your eyes.

twisted89

This seems to be related to how rendering is handled at any given moment. I get the impression that the grey "filter" shows up when the game isn't really trying to render anything. It'll go back to deep blacks and crisp colors as soon as things start to happen. It can get distracting when it's there though, since unlike the images on the screen, this feels like it's right next to your eyes.

No, that's the thing, it is always there, it never moves or changes which is what makes me think its a screen issue not a rendering issue. It's hard to explain but its like having burn-in on a screen, like an image is constantly hovering over what ever is meant to be displayed.

Foggy

Reddit may be a forever shitshow of drama, but they're bang-on in the fawning support of Blaze Rush. It's like being a kid again and playing with RC cars on a racetrack filled with weapons and absurd physics. I was giddy the whole time.

vermadas

Reddit may be a forever shitshow of drama, but they're bang-on in the fawning support of Blaze Rush. It's like being a kid again and playing with RC cars on a racetrack filled with weapons and absurd physics. I was giddy the whole time.

Makes me sad that Codemasters abandoned Toybox Turbos:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/287260/

One of a few games I bought with the intention of playing when the consumer Rift arrived, and have yet to support the 1.3 SDK...

No, that's the thing, it is always there, it never moves or changes which is what makes me think its a screen issue not a rendering issue. It's hard to explain but its like having burn-in on a screen, like an image is constantly hovering over what ever is meant to be displayed.

I know exactly what you mean, but for me it goes away when the game actually renders stuff. It could be that you have the issue where the screens are set to limited color instead of full. If so, try installing the latest Nvidia drivers (if you have an Nvidia card) with clean install selected.

wonderpug

Neo Member

Have you tried cleaning the lenses with the microfiber cloth? Your issue might be as simple as some excess hair grease building up.

twisted89

I know exactly what you mean, but for me it goes away when the game actually renders stuff. It could be that you have the issue where the screens are set to limited color instead of full. If so, try installing the latest Nvidia drivers (if you have an Nvidia card) with clean install selected.

Well its certainly less noticeable when in game but its still quite obvious when moving. Main screen is set to full colour output, just done a full wipe of windows and started again and nothing has changed.

Have you tried cleaning the lenses with the microfiber cloth? Your issue might be as simple as some excess hair grease building up.

Definitely not dirt, its quite a clear visible pattern across the whole screen.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Has anyone gotten Minecrift working with the CV1? I've heard it works, and I followed the instructions for installation to the letter, but I get this error in the launcher log when I try to to start it up:

ERROR]: Gave up trying to download http://files.minecraftforge.net/mav...4-1.7.10/forge-1.7.10-10.13.4.1614-1.7.10.jar for job 'Version & Libraries'
ERROR]: Job 'Version & Libraries' finished with 1 failure(s)! (took 0:00:04.180)

I installed Forge 1.7.10 beforehand with no issue, launched the standard game with Forge installed, quit out of the game launcher, installed Minecrift, then tried to launch.

The URL in the error message seems like a dead link, but I don't get why it would need to try and download a Forge .jar file if I've already installed Forge.

Riptwo

Well its certainly less noticeable when in game but its still quite obvious when moving. Main screen is set to full colour output, just done a full wipe of windows and started again and nothing has changed.

Definitely not dirt, its quite a clear visible pattern across the whole screen.
Is it a relatively uniform pattern, or more like a bunch of blotches? I had bizarre blotches in my right screen and Oculus replaced my headset. Terrible video demonstration here. Doesn't seem like it's common, since I was asking if anybody had similar experiences for awhile with no responses, and Oculus told me that I was the first to report something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom