• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enordash

Cross posting from Reddit here:

So, I've been playing with my Rift for 3 days now and it is absolutely amazing. However, I'm not sure if that's just me, but why games like Farlands and Lucky's Tale (specially) are so much "cleaner" than say, Elite Dangerous?

At first, I was under the impression that it was a dark / light scenes thing, but started to play The Climb yesterday, and while the sense of scale and the graphics are breathtakingly beautiful, the landscape far away is quite blurry. Good example: I could barely discern the helicopter in the Canyon stage flying down low when it passes by, it was really, really blurry. If I had to bet, this is basically a resolution issue, but why is it so much less pronounced in Lucky's Tale? Is it just because the farthest point where you can look in that game is much closer than in The Climb? Does everyone else has the same feeling about it?

Resolution is defintely a huge factor. It's very apparent in Chronos when the character enters a room close to the camera then travels far away when moving to the next area. You just watch the character model get blurrier as it goes. Lucky's Tale keeps you close to everything at all times by dragging you along. Chronos is more comfortable, but LT looks good consistently. I didn't have much of an issue with the dragging camera in LT. I hope more games take that approach as long as it makes sense for the gameplay (it really wouldn't make sense for Chronos).

Not really a spoiler, but I have one gripe with Chronos so far:
Sliding puzzles? Man, this is the second game this year that I've played with stupid sliding puzzles. It's not that they are ridiculously hard or anything. They just take more time than I'd like and never feel satisfying to solve.
Regardless, Chronos has been so awesome and I hope everyone picks it up.

JambiBum

Is there a thread where we can share each other's user names? So we can VR together?

There's no thread. I asked about making a google doc to share with everyone so that people can add their Home names to it and no one responded so I figured the idea was dead.

@Endorsh. FUCK those puzzles. They weren't even hard. Just time consuming. The area around them is great though.

Enordash

There's no thread. I asked about making a google doc to share with everyone so that people can add their Home names to it and no one responded so I figured the idea was dead.

@Endorsh. FUCK those puzzles. They weren't even hard. Just time consuming. The area around them is great though.

Agreed on that second point. Really love the area otherwise.

We could give the Google doc thing a shot if you guys want to edit yours in: NeoGAF Oculus Home Usernames

Edit: Hoping this gains some traction. We can do it, guys!

The problem with creating friends lists for Oculus Home so far is that we can't do anything with them. They're just window dressing until functionality is added that takes advantage of them.

Enordash

The problem with creating friends lists for Oculus Home so far is that we can't do anything with them. They're just window dressing until functionality is added that takes advantage of them.

This is definitely just planning for the future at this point. Should we add a column for Steam name?

Peterthumpa

Agreed on that second point. Really love the area otherwise.

We could give the Google doc thing a shot if you guys want to edit yours in: NeoGAF Oculus Home Usernames

Edit: Hoping this gains some traction. We can do it, guys!

Cool ideia, though I do agree with the user 2 posts above me, not a really lot to do with Oculus friends right now.
Also, are achievements enforced system-wide? Noticed that they're available in The Clim but never seen a single one in Lucky's Tale.

Enordash

Cool ideia, though I do agree with the user 2 posts above me, not a really lot to do with Oculus friends right now.
Also, are achievements enforced system-wide? Noticed that they're available in The Clim but never seen a single one in Lucky's Tale.

I'll leave it be for now and see if it grows. Hopefully it's eventually relevant.

Edit: For it to truly go anywhere, we'd probably have to get it in the OP. Not sure if he comes around these parts anymore.

Evo X

So looks like those updated estimates were total bullshit too.

Mine said 4/25/2016 - 5/5/2016.

Well, here we fucking are the night of May 5th, and not a single hint of shipment.

GG Oculus. My order was within the first 6 minutes and its almost 6 weeks past "launch" now.

AgeEighty

What minute and second do we know they're currently up to? I'm seeing 08:30 on Reddit; is that accurate?

I was a 17:24, which it seems they're nowhere close to. But my ship window starts in just 11 days.

Seiru

Banned

Well, here we fucking are the night of May 5th, and not a single hint of shipment.

GG Oculus. My order was within the first 6 minutes and its almost 6 weeks past "launch" now.

Well. I guess I'm going to F5 the shit out of Amazon tomorrow.

Wallach

Mythos of the World Axis looks like it is in the Concepts section now. From what I read it is a completely different demo than the old DK2 demo (which is one of the things that sold me on the idea of third-person VR). I haven't had the chance to download it yet but since its free I'd recommend giving it a download.

What minute and second do we know they're currently up to? I'm seeing 08:30 on Reddit; is that accurate?

I was a 17:24, which it seems they're nowhere close to. But my ship window starts in just 11 days.

It totally depends on the country. The general consensus is they are between 7 and 7:30 or so in the US orders now (with a bit of skipping around), some other countries are way, way further along than that.

AgeEighty

It totally depends on the country. The general consensus is they are between 7 and 7:30 or so in the US orders now (with a bit of skipping around), some other countries are way, way further along than that.

Yeah, I'm in the US. Something tells me I shouldn't expect them to hit my ship window early in... or perhaps at all.

At least they haven't pushed it back. Yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Other countries are further along in time because of lower numbers of orders. Although nicely oculus did say they were a bit ahead in Europe, so they kindly haven't shopped anything there for two weeks :/

Keep in mind that they are estimates. One of the reasons companies rarely gives estimates to customers for things like these (and why Oculus took so long to provide them in the first place) is because a lot of people take them as promises set in stone, no matter how much emphasis is put on the estimate part. It means Oculus expected your order to ship in that time period. It doesn't mean your order was guaranteed to ship in that time period.

Having said that, it does suck and I do hope you get it soon. It's an amazing piece of tech and worth the wait.

senahorse

I am of the mind it's fairly random. I ordered 36 minutes after it went live from Australia, and my shipment window is 5/30/2016 - 6/9/2016. I don't even expect them to meet that date, it's quite a mess.

Other countries are further along in time because of lower numbers of orders. Although nicely oculus did say they were a bit ahead in Europe, so they kindly haven't shopped anything there for two weeks :/

They were up to 30 minutes in the UK and only 10 minutes or less in the U.S. so it probably was fair to switch it around a bit. Sucks for me (in the UK at 40 minutes) but I think it is fair.

P.S. - don't forget - yours is free ;-)

I swear they were already into the 7 minute mark this week. Sounds like yours is one of the ones that was passed over. When I was following this stuff closely I would see some people who were just missed.

Did you edit any of your order details recently? It might be worth sending in a support ticket.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They were up to 30 minutes in the UK and only 10 minutes or less in the U.S. so it probably was fair to switch it around a bit. Sucks for me (in the UK at 40 minutes) but I think it is fair.

P.S. - don't forget - yours is free ;-)

I know, but its not an excuse to dick about and not ship it :p

I wouldn't mind so much if everyone was in the same boat - its all the flip-flopping with poor communication that does my head in. Same with people being switched with no warning to ground shipping.

I unlocked the boulders in The Climb last night. They're really short, hard climbs where you have no chalk, so you really have to manage your stamina. There's only six of them though, which is a shame.
Overall I think the game is a little light on content for the price, I think completing everything once wouldn't take more than a couple of hours, so any life beyond that depends on how much you get into going for three stars on each. I'd still definitely recommend it though, what's there is great.

The issues I was having with Project Cars was simply due to the fact that everything in settings was knocked down to low. Moved everything up to medium and it looks a lot better. Now I will see about what I can bump up to high without causing any issues.

Seiru

Banned
Oh man, I didn't see that the Rift started being available on the "View all buying options" page on Amazon before they put the order buttons on the actual store page. I ended up doing a 1-click order at like 12:02 instead of 12:00.

I going to guess that I'm not getting one from Amazon either now, but we'll see when the order updates.

Ibuki

Banned
I was able to order one about 4 minutes after they went up. They didn't show in stock up until that time, and it showed only 2 left in stock.

Seiru

Banned
I was able to order one about 4 minutes after they went up. They didn't show in stock up until that time, and it showed only 2 left in stock.

I have an "order" in, but it doesn't have an estimated delivery :/

Anybody able to order one from Amazon, who has an actual delivery date on the order?

Lettuce

Ummm just check my Oculus Order as i was under the impression that estimated delivery date was 5th of May, but now my Recent Orders page is completely blank!, it had my Oculus order there when i checked on Monday but now nothing, any ideas???

Ummm just check my Oculus Order as i was under the impression that estimated delivery date was 5th of May, but now my Recent Orders page is completely blank!, it had my Oculus order there when i checked on Monday but now nothing, any ideas???

Wtf? Just confirmed and there is nothing in my "recent Orders"...

Wallach

Think the website is messed up right now, I can't even log in at the moment.

Edit - Oh I bet it is down while they add that whole "I bought a Rift at retail" thing to the pre-order page.

Ibuki

Banned
I have an "order" in, but it doesn't have an estimated delivery :/

Anybody able to order one from Amazon, who has an actual delivery date on the order?

The message on the store page said due to high demand shipping might be delayed.

Haint

Cross posting from Reddit here:

So, I've been playing with my Rift for 3 days now and it is absolutely amazing. However, I'm not sure if that's just me, but why games like Farlands and Lucky's Tale (specially) are so much "cleaner" than say, Elite Dangerous?

At first, I was under the impression that it was a dark / light scenes thing, but started to play The Climb yesterday, and while the sense of scale and the graphics are breathtakingly beautiful, the landscape far away is quite blurry. Good example: I could barely discern the helicopter in the Canyon stage flying down low when it passes by, it was really, really blurry. If I had to bet, this is basically a resolution issue, but why is it so much less pronounced in Lucky's Tale? Is it just because the farthest point where you can look in that game is much closer than in The Climb? Does everyone else has the same feeling about it?

Some games are supersampled up to 150+% of the native resolution, some are 80%, 100%, or something in between. This is probably what you're noticing the most.

I tried The Climb for the first time today, and man does that game make me tense and sweaty. I can't stop myself from holding on to my controller for dear life. During one climb in the Alps just now, I could feel my legs shaking as I was traversing a particularly vertigo-inducing section.

And this is on easy difficulty...

Enordash

Awesome, apparently my Amazon Rift is shipping on Tuesday.

I wonder if I should keep my preorder to resell?

Sell it to some kind GAFer that got boned by this whole process ;)

I finished Chronos today. I'm going to talk generally about the ending in this spoiler text so read at your own risk:
The ending was just incredibly underwhelming. I really wish they could have wrapped it up in a more satisfying way. The whole "twist" of it wasn't all that interesting although the final boss was neat. I really enjoyed the intro of the game so I expected a lot more from the end. It was just so weak... and abrupt.

All in all, the combat was really well done although I would have liked another move or two per enemy to keep them a little more unpredictable. I also wonder if it would have been improved with enemy life bars. Perhaps it wasn't the easiest UI element to implement in VR. I like seeing the giant boss life bar in games like Dark Souls.

So I really enjoyed Lucky's Tale and Chronos. Didn't like Eve so much. Any recommendation on where to go next?

Heads up, Oculus Home seems to have just launched its first sale, offering 25% off the regular price, throughout the weekend, for Blaze Rush, Albino Lullaby, Radial-G, Smashing the Battle, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

I wasn't expecting to see a sale so early on, so this is a pleasant surprise. It's got nothing on the Steam sales, but it's good to know that we've got things like this to look for in the future.

If you for some reason haven't got Blaze Rush yet, this is a good time to rectify that. You can buy stuff from the store even if you haven't received your Rift yet.

Anyone who has their Rift (or Vive) having trouble going back to 2D games now or at least being less excited about them? E3 is coming up in a month and this is the least excited I can ever remember being. I just want more VR games.

Yep, only big games I may play this year are UC4 and Last Guardian, but not holding my breath on that one not getting bumped again. Was initially excited about E3 for NX just to see what it was and how the ecosystem worked, but we all know how that turned out :/

LaneDS

Gotcha, thanks y'all (had it on my DK2 in Home but wasn't sure if that was because I had (a) bought a DK2 or (b) preordered a Rift).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Heads up, Oculus Home seems to have just launched its first sale, offering 25% off the regular price, throughout the weekend, for Blaze Rush, Albino Lullaby, Radial-G, Smashing the Battle, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

I wasn't expecting to see a sale so early on, so this is a pleasant surprise. It's got nothing on the Steam sales, but it's good to know that we've got things like this to look for in the future.

If you for some reason haven't got Blaze Rush yet, this is a good time to rectify that. You can buy stuff from the store even if you haven't received your Rift yet.

I might begrudgingly buy blaze rush but I already have it on steam, but missed the arbitrary date set by the developer to get an oculus home key, and due to headset delays I also missed the steam refund window (even though I'd never played it).

Does the oculus version let you play on a monitor too?

Awesome!

I haven't picked up Blaze Rush, but I'm certainly going to pick it up this weekend because of all of the positive impressions.

What are people's opinions on the other games in the sale?

mitchman

Gold Member
Is The Grand Canyon VR Experience any good?

Yes, I thought it was good but it's quite short, just a relatively short loop you sail through continuously. I expect it to be expanded as development continue. If you're looking for a mindblowing experience, you can't go wrong with Apollo 11 VR.

I was fucking around in the video player for Oculus and I was watching a video with the theater backdrop. I was watching and then took a look down at the exit door in the front row and immediately thought how fucking freaked out I would be if they just had someone walk through that door unexpectedly. At that moment I realized I never ever want to try horror games in VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom