• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Streaming VR experiences off Youtube are just horrid. Everything looks terrible.

So... VorpX? Should I buy it? Anyone here using it?

JambiBum

Streaming VR experiences off Youtube are just horrid. Everything looks terrible.

There's a free program like VorpX that people use but that only works with Fallout 4 right now. I have to find the link and download for myself though. As for VorpX, people seem to go back and forth on it and I have no experience with it.

There's a free program like VorpX that people use but that only works with Fallout 4 right now. I have to find the link and download for myself though. As for VorpX, people seem to go back and forth on it and I have no experience with it.

Maybe I will hold off for now.

When you figure out that free program let us know. I have been meaning to play my copy of Fallout 4 anyway so it could be fun to try out in VR.

vermadas

Maybe I will hold off for now.

When you figure out that free program let us know. I have been meaning to play my copy of Fallout 4 anyway so it could be fun to try out in VR.

Vireio Perception 4.0 alpha is out. Currently supports Fallout 4 only.

I have yet to see someone say they are actually playing a game (for more than 5 minutes) with VorpX, everyone says the games make them queasy or the HUD interferes or the FPS varies wildly.

The free fallout 4 tool for VR is available here if you want to play around with it
http://www.mtbs3d.com/news-2/14967-vireio-perception-4-0-alpha-is-out

You can also try stuff with Virtual Desktop if you want but again I wouldn't really expect anything fun to work well. I have VD and will try out Hitman and GTA5 this weekend, don't expect it to go well at all. So far I've found it best to stick with VR built games, enjoying Luckys Tales and Eve and probably gonna buy Elite if I can figure out what the hell version to get and from where.

Thanks.

I have yet to see someone say they are actually playing a game (for more than 5 minutes) with VorpX, everyone says the games make them queasy or the HUD interferes or the FPS varies wildly.

The free fallout 4 tool for VR is available here if you want to play around with it
http://www.mtbs3d.com/news-2/14967-vireio-perception-4-0-alpha-is-out

You can also try stuff with Virtual Desktop if you want but again I wouldn't really expect anything fun to work well. I have VD and will try out Hitman and GTA5 this weekend, don't expect it to go well at all. So far I've found it best to stick with VR built games, enjoying Luckys Tales and Eve and probably gonna buy Elite if I can figure out what the hell version to get and from where.

I have VD. I didn't even think to try it with non-VR games. I assumed it just launched theminto desktop mode.

i bought it hoping to play alien:isolation with it, it was pretty much unplayable and looked terrible

it has a built in "theatre mode" though which is pretty cool. its like you are sitting in a big movie theatre, but the games play in stereoscopic 3d on the screen. i believe virtual desktop only lets you play it in 2d in theatre mode but could be wrong on that

Can you purchase games/apps before having the headset?
I recommend buying content off of Steam if it's an option. They have a refund policy and Oculus store does not.
Only for two weeks, if someone doesn't have the headset yet that's pointless, better to buy it in the Oculus Store for the better launching experience. And the whole reason to buy right now before having the headset is to take advantage of the sale in the Oculus Store too.

Does anyone know how Best Buy is handling their stock? Is t worth heading to my local store that's demoing it in the morning to try and pick one up?

Edit: the Austin store only has 3 and apparently there are 3 people already waiting.

Does anyone know how Best Buy is handling their stock? Is t worth heading to my local store that's demoing it in the morning to try and pick one up?
Only the stores that are demoing it are getting any, and there are very few per location, reports say under 10 units.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but quite a few people are playing the climb.

Apparently if you only pull the triggers part way in, it's enough to grip but you use much less stamina. Also according to Jeff on the beast cast, the short throw trigger-stops on an elite controller are at exactly the right spot where you can grip forever.

Absinthe

guys GUYS.

Descent Underground (prequel to the original from the 90s) now has CV1/1.3 support now. It's still an Early Access game so expect issues if you pick it up, but know that there's another game to keep on your radar if you're into space combat-like 6dof games. It's gotten great reviews, though I have yet to install it myself (I do own it).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/360950/

How was your experience with Descent Underground? I loved the original and wonder how their Rift support is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks.

I have VD. I didn't even think to try it with non-VR games. I assumed it just launched theminto desktop mode.

I found it a mixed bag - tried it with Xbox and PS4 streaming to PC as well as native PC games. The best visuals are if you have a virtual screen filling your field of view (so you aren't wasting pixels). But that made me a bit woozy because I had hardly any stable reference points to help me understand I'm watching on a screen. Forza Horizon 2 was particularly bad. If I shrink the screen down so I can see plenty of background, it is much more comfortable - but then you lose a ton of resolution and the experience is poor.

I found it a mixed bag - tried it with Xbox and PS4 streaming to PC as well as native PC games. The best visuals are if you have a virtual screen filling your field of view (so you aren't wasting pixels). But that made me a bit woozy because I had hardly any stable reference points to help me understand I'm watching on a screen. Forza Horizon 2 was particularly bad. If I shrink the screen down so I can see plenty of background, it is much more comfortable - but then you lose a ton of resolution and the experience is poor.

I've noticed this as well. I watched someone playing Dark Souls 3 while I was in Virtual Desktop with a view that filled my screen, and it was extremely uncomfortable. Not as much as having someone wrest control of my vision in a true VR app would be, but close. I had to move the screen quite a bit back before it felt better. Interestingly, watching Dark Souls 3 while it filled my screen made my brain do interesting things. The game actually looked like it was running in full 3D to me, as I could see actual depth in the environments.

If you close one eye, everything still looks 3d and has depth, even though you've lost stereoscopic vision.

I guess it's the same with a 2d view in VR, if it completely fills your vision then your brain will overlay depth onto it.

Is it worth buying VorpX? I checked the list of supported games, and I own many of them.
How well do try run/look?

If I purchase it, you just get a download link to it?

Is it worth buying VorpX? I checked the list of supported games, and I own many of them.

scroll up a bit :)

yes, you get a download link. you then have to generate a request code and email it to them, your license comes back 10 - 15 mins later which unlocks it

Just started Chronos and already stuck lol. Any advice? I'm at the part
where I can see the giant red crystal but the door is blocked with a control panel that has cut wires. The only other place I can go is an orange room with chairs and a window where I can see the first enemy. The door to that room is blocked by a control panel that needs an access card. I assume I need the access card but I can't find it.

Riptwo

Just started Chronos and already stuck lol. Any advice? I'm at the part
where I can see the giant red crystal but the door is blocked with a control panel that has cut wires. The only other place I can go is an orange room with chairs and a window where I can see the first enemy. The door to that room is blocked by a control panel that needs an access card. I assume I need the access card but I can't find it.
If you've already used the computer with the key and activated everything, go back outside in the rain to another computer and activate the smaller crystal there.

If you've already used the computer with the key and activated everything, go back outside in the rain to another computer and activate the smaller crystal there.

That part of the game is a bit poorly designed. I got stuck there too, as did another poster I helped with this exact same situation earlier in this thread. The problem is that video games have trained us not to have to go back through loading screens (and elevators are basically loading screens in Chronos) in order to proceed, so we instinctively dismiss it as an option. But Chronos throws this kind of situation at the player within the first 5 minutes without bothering to explain what's going on, so it's no wonder people get stuck there.

Yeah, I figured it must have been something like that but, as Herr Star mentioned, I didn't think I'd have to go that far back lol.

On another note, it's amazing how different the game feels in game compared to Youtube videos. I kind of expected it to feel like Lucky's Tale where I was looking at a plushy sized person in a diorama (which is cool in it's own right), but it actually feels like you're a person in the world sitting and watching another person (that you're controlling). It's really cool. Can't wait to see what Edge of Nowhere looks like in game.

Dineren

Banned
After seeing it on UPF this week I decided to try out the first few levels of Doom in VR. It is a pretty cool way to play it, but I could definitely see some people getting motion sickness from it. There hasn't been much in VR that has affected me, but the speed you move and can turn made me a bit queasy. This could probably be minimized if I adjusted the settings a bit, I just left everything at its default aside from rebinding movement to wasd.

For those who want to try it, you can download GZ3Doom and throw a doom wad in the install directory. Apparently any doom engine game will work, so you can also play Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, or anything else compatible with the source port.

Seiru

Banned
After seeing it on UPF this week I decided to try out the first few levels of Doom in VR. It is a pretty cool way to play it, but I could definitely see some people getting motion sickness from it. There hasn't been much in VR that has affected me, but the speed you move and can turn made me a bit queasy. This could probably be minimized if I adjusted the settings a bit, I just left everything at its default aside from rebinding movement to wasd.

For those who want to try it, you can download GZ3Doom and throw a doom wad in the install directory. Apparently any doom engine game will work, so you can also play Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, or anything else compatible with the source port.

I thought turning at all with a stick was a huge no-no in VR, but Brad didn't seem bothered by it.

It still seems a little weird to me. Like, doesn't it defeat the purpose of VR if you're turning with a stick? At that point, it's sort of just a better 3D TV, right?

I thought turning at all with a stick was a huge no-no in VR, but Brad didn't seem bothered by it.

Some people just don't get affected by motion sickness in VR the same way that others do. Either you're lucky or you're not. Odds are it's going to make you feel horrible within seconds, but if you don't, enjoy it for all it's worth.

Dineren

Banned

It still seems a little weird to me. Like, doesn't it defeat the purpose of VR if you're turning with a stick? At that point, it's sort of just a better 3D TV, right?

I was using a mouse and swinging it around pretty fast, a controller probably would have been fine for me. I have seen reports that in a regular 3d game with VR grafted on, a lot of people do tend get motion sickness with a controller, but that hasn't been my experience.

I don't mind using a controller in VR, it's still pretty immersive for me. It's not like using a Vive with the motion controllers, but it's still an enjoyable way to explore a world. Neither the Rift or Vive should be compared to 3d TV or movies, I've got a 3d TV that is supposed to be pretty good and it doesn't come close to the immersion either VR headset gives you regardless of input method.

It's fine depending on how sensitive you are. Anecdotally, I desperately wanted to play everything I could in VR when I got my DK1, so not a lot bothers me at this point. I'm not even sure if you can force yourself into being desensitized to it, but I certainly tried.

Whether or not it defeats the purpose of VR is a really personal thing. VR to me is a way to immerse myself within a world, and that means anything from the fixed camera view in Chronos, to hitting my face on the floor trying to lean through a vent in Budget Cuts. They're two radically different ways of interacting with the hardware, but both offer an unparalleled sense of attachment and presence in the world. I know these terms are oft overused, but it's really the only apt description. So if that means I have to move around with an analog stick, I'd still prefer this to playing on a traditional display. Honestly, there have been instances when I appreciated the ability to navigate with an analog stick, because teleporting in room scale doesn't always feel awesome.

A 3D display is really analogous to having an open window with the potential for stuff to fly through. You can see the depth of objects outside of it, and occasionally stuff flies in, but you're still looking through a window. VR is stepping through the window and being there.

Just a heads up for those considering VorpX; the camera in many games cannot be detached from the player model, so your head movements are input as moving the right analog stick would be on a traditional controller. It's... strange, at best.

Seiru

Banned
I was using a mouse and swinging it around pretty fast, a controller probably would have been fine for me. I have seen reports that in a regular 3d game with VR grafted on, a lot of people do tend get motion sickness with a controller, but that hasn't been my experience.

I don't mind using a controller in VR, it's still pretty immersive for me. It's not like using a Vive with the motion controllers, but it's still an enjoyable way to explore a world. Neither the Rift or Vive should be compared to 3d TV or movies, I've got a 3d TV that is supposed to be pretty good and it doesn't come close to the immersion either VR headset gives you regardless of input method.

I mean, I know that VR isn't 3DTV. I just meant that, if you even take away head tracking from the experience, at that point all you have is a big FOV and stereoscopic 3D.

Dineren

Banned
I mean, I know that VR isn't 3DTV. I just meant that, if you even take away head tracking from the experience, at that point all you have is a big FOV and stereoscopic 3D.

Oh, the version of Doom I was using supports headtracking. Most games that add VR support have headtracking even if it has another input that can move the camera as well.

If you're talking about something like Virtual Desktop that lets you just play a game on a giant screen in front of you in a virtual space, then I agree. That isn't something that really interests me.

I can't say this unequivocally, but every game I've played that used an analog stick for locomotion and/or camera movement still allowed for complete headtracking. It would be incredibly nauseating if it was literally just a static, stereoscopic screen on your face.

I just tried it at a local Best Buy and I have to say it was very underwhelming.

This thing has been hyped up beyond belief.

Some Intel experience they have running 40 seconds of different games and ending with a game you can actually play about rock climbing.

I wanted to be blown away and even contemplated buying a set up if it was that good. (Own Macs)

I hope PSVR is better due to possible library. (Not really expecting much after this experience)

I just tried it at a local Best Buy and I have to say it was very underwhelming.

This thing has been hyped up beyond belief.

Some Intel experience they have running 40 seconds of different games and ending with a game you can actually play about rock climbing.

I wanted to be blown away and even contemplated buying a set up if it was that good. (Own Macs)

I hope PSVR is better due to possible library. (Not really expecting much after this experience)

What were they demoing? I feel like the content is going to make or break the first experience, and I dunno how The Climb is (the one game you mentioned specifically).

What were they demoing? I feel like the content is going to make or break the first experience, and I dunno how The Climb is (the one game you mentioned specifically).
The Climb is one of the best VR experiences, but some people hear "mountain climbing" and think "boring" so don't give it a chance. Just like a lot of people see Lucky's Tale and think "third person? This isn't VR". Unfortunately, there really isn't much that will fit people's imaginary views of what VR should be, because most people think of first-person shooters, and those are horrible for most people for VR.

Basically they run footage from a few games but in the first portion you do not play anything rather just stand around and see the environment.

1) you are standing in some field with animals and the animals are all animated like a cartoon.

2) You are standing on some planet and an alien is right in front of you moving around and basically trying to communicate with you but is just doing gestures

3) You are overlooking some micro city and you see a UFO in the sky and airplane also. Looks neat for the first couple of seconds but not really that great. A building is on fire

4) You are standing on a skycraper ledge and there is a feeling of being at a very high altitude but at this point i think the fps is what is impressive and not so much the graphics of game.

5) you are in some museum and a trex is turning the corner towards you and stops in front of you and opens his mouth and proceeds to walk over you.

6) you get an xbox one controller, So the objective is to climb (Picture uncharted and drake)
The left trigger is left hand and the right trigger is right hand.

you tilt your head to find new rock then proceed to press the LT then next rock RT and repeat this but if you let go you fall and you always have to look in the direction of new rock.

robotrock

Banned
Basically they run footage from a few games but in the first portion you do not play anything rather just stand around and see the environment.

1) you are standing in some field with animals and the animals are all animated like a cartoon.

2) You are standing on some planet and an alien is right in front of you moving around and basically trying to communicate with you but is just doing gestures

3) You are overlooking so micro city and you see a UFO in the sky and air plane also. Looks neat for the first couple of seconds but not really that great. A building is on fire

4) You are standing on a skycraper ledge and there is a feeling of being at a very high altitude but at this point i think the fps is what is impressive and not so much the graphics of game.

5) you are in some museum and a trex is turning the corner towards you and stops in front of you and opens his mouth and proceeds to walk over you.

6) you get an xbox one controller, So the objective is to climb (Picture uncharted and drake)

you tilt your head to find new rock then proceed to press the LT then next rock RT and repeat this but if you let go you fall and you always have to look in the direction of new rock.

Ah, so Dreamdeck and the climb.

When I saw the crescent bay devkit at PAX East 2015 they were just showing Dreamdeck.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

3) You are overlooking some micro city and you see a UFO in the sky and airplane also. Looks neat for the first couple of seconds but not really that great. A building is on fire

You never actually said what you didn't like.

Also, none of those things were games except the last one. The Dreamdeck stuff is just showing off what VR can do.

So I went to my Best Buy this morning, they had 8 delivered but only gave out enough tickets for 3 of them because they sold/held 5 for their employees.

I tried calling their customer relations twice, because I think holding over half of your stock for your employees is a little unfair, and they basically told me to fly a kite. BBY Twitter Support did the same.

Oh well.

So I went to my Best Buy this morning, they had 8 delivered but only gave out enough tickets for 3 of them because they sold/held 5 for their employees.

I tried calling their customer relations twice, because I think holding over half of your stock for your employees is a little unfair, and they basically told me to fly a kite. BBY Twitter Support did the same.

Oh well.

That's surprising. Might be worth contacting Oculus, I doubt they'd be okay with such practices.

Kevin

Has Oculus at all commented when they will actually start producing these things? I mean the Rift has been said to be in production for eight months now and yet they can't get any out.

How did they discover a component shortage months after months of product manufacturing rather then before manufacturing even begun?

Super fishy that they claim to have been making Rifts since September but only more recently are reporting a major component shortage problem.

Even more weird that the months are piling on and yet the supposed component shortage still has not been resolved and no resolution in sight either.

One of the worse product launches I have ever seen and I've been waiting more then four years to finally get a finished consumer version of the Rift.

It's always disappointing to log into my Oculus preorder page only to find my order keeps jumping up. Nearly hitting August now.

charpunk

Oh well.

Not sure how they got away with that as employee sales were forbidden. With or without discount.

MaulerX

Has Oculus at all commented when they will actually start producing these things? I mean the Rift has been said to be in production for eight months now and yet they can't get any out.

How did they discover a component shortage months after months of product manufacturing rather then before manufacturing even begun?

Super fishy that they claim to have been making Rifts since September but only more recently are reporting a major component shortage problem.

Even more weird that the months are piling on and yet the supposed component shortage still has not been resolved and no resolution in sight either.

One of the worse product launches I have ever seen and I've been waiting more then four years to finally get a finished consumer version of the Rift.

It's always disappointing to log into my Oculus preorder page only to find my order keeps jumping up. Nearly hitting August now.

Yea there's no way this has been in production for six months. Either that or their production capacity was so abysmal that they were managing just five a week.

Not sure how they got away with that as employee sales were forbidden. With or without discount.

Yep that's total bullshit and just another shaft in the ass for those that pre-ordered.

Bizzquik

I have yet to see someone say they are actually playing a game (for more than 5 minutes) with VorpX,

That's spot-on.
I was in awe just walking around in Bioshock Infinite; amazing to see it in quasi-VR....but I also immediately knew there was no way I could play the game in false VR for more than a few minutes.

I didn't get super-queezy. I just knew that actually looking around, turning my head, moving the character around with the controller, re-adjusting my head, spotting enemies & shooting...that's just a lot of work - and frankly, not fun.

Still, I'm glad I bought VorpX - because I would always wonder what that experience was like. And the walking simulator aspect of it - for atmospheric games I've loved for years - is fascinating in small doses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom