• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use WidmoVR lenses and they're freaking awesome. I bought the ones without blue light protection, they're just perfect. Way more comfortable than glasses and FOV is also improved for me.

Banzai

You should upgrade to Win10 because that gives you Asynchronous Spacewarp, which is an Oculus feature that keeps things perfectly smooth and high framerate even when a game is really bogging your system down. It lets you run games you normally wouldn’t be able to run, or run games at higher quality settings. ASW is enabled by default but doesn’t work in Windows 7.

To be honest I thought you were fucking with me when you said "asynchronous spacewarp". sounds like some bullshit tech a tv show would come up with.

But that is very interesting, thank you. I will upgrade asap.

I'm really interested. I was going to order from vr lens eu but they are out of the adapters. This seems like a better move, though, with these adapters. Definitely keep us posted on how yours work out.

The whole out of stock didn't really apply to me for vr lens eu. I got the same notification, and they shipped my lens in just three days.

It really sucks all these VR lens companies are based in Europe. My lens are currently being processed through some New York facility, and they could be there for a week or two before they get checked and transferred over to USPS.

Mascot

Yeah I've heard that too. That's around £70 of value stripped from the package.

It still listed the Xbox controller and remote when I bought it from Amazon, so would be annoyed if they aren't included when it arrives next week.

I'm not bothered about the remote (I don't think people use it much, do they?) but the Xbone controller would have been nice. Getting a 'lesser' package still grinds my gears though, and after my order debacle, the stock fuckage right now and reports about horrendous god rays I'm starting to cool on the idea of VR and wondering if I'm better off waiting for gen 2.

Jzero

Miners are buying 1050ti's? Or is it just that no other cards are available so even those are picked slim. The 1050ti is a terrible mining card so that would just be odd.

I see 1050ti's in stock in many places for not that much of a markup. Amazon has them for $146

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M4KGTNI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500457326&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1050ti&dpPl=1&dpID=51Spvzl1u5L&ref=plSrch

Are you outside the U.S?

Oh no I have a window on my case so I want specific ones. Gigabyte makes some ugly shit. II want one from EVGA or ASUS

Amneisac

I'm curious about VR, but I just can't get past the expense. It seems like a lot of money to just take a gamble on something without getting to try it out first. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has VR.

My main concern is that I'm not physically capable of stereoscopic vision. I have an optic nerve disorder that makes it physically impossible. So basically, with a VR headset on it would be as if i only have one eye. I'm concerned that without the 3D effect it just wouldn't be worth the investment.

I'm curious about VR, but I just can't get past the expense. It seems like a lot of money to just take a gamble on something without getting to try it out first. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has VR.

My main concern is that I'm not physically capable of stereoscopic vision. I have an optic nerve disorder that makes it physically impossible. So basically, with a VR headset on it would be as if i only have one eye. I'm concerned that without the 3D effect it just wouldn't be worth the investment.

Can you try a headset out? Most of the headsets have sites where you can look for nearby places that let you test units.

You could just buy it from a store like Best Buy and return it within 14 days I believe.

The "3D" effect is neat, but it's not the main reason to get into VR. Being able to move my hands around and interact with objects in a virtual world is the experience that makes VR truly special.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

If you have a half decent mobile phone then get a cheap google cardboard set up and give it a try. It will give you a taste of vr.

You could just buy it from a store like Best Buy and return it within 14 days I believe.

The "3D" effect is neat, but it's not the main reason to get into VR. Being able to move my hands around and interact with objects in a virtual world is the experience that makes VR truly special.

What are you talking about? The 3D is a vital part of the whole thing! Otherwise it will be like looking at one of those ‘3d’ videos where you can look around what is essentially just a 2d sphere.

What are you talking about? The 3D is a vital part of the whole thing! Otherwise it will be like looking at one of those ‘3d' videos where you can look around what is essentially just a 2d sphere.

You're crazy

People who are blind in one eye don't get the 3D effect either, and many still find the technology and experience fascinating despite that. The 3D part is neat, but the fov and headtracking are far more important.

When the Oculus headset first came out, people were amazed by the 3D VR effect. However, that hype didn't last long at all. When the Vive released with motion controllers, that's when VR became truly exciting for waaaaaaaaaay more people.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

Not that this necessarily would apply to you but many people that were stereo blind were able to see depth for the first time when using a vr headset. Even those that were blind in one eye found vr experiences compelling.

gdt

You're crazy

People who are blind in one eye don't get the 3D effect either, and many still find the technology and experience fascinating despite that. The 3D part is neat, but the fov and headtracking are far more important.

When the Oculus headset first came out, people were amazed by the 3D VR effect. However, that hype didn't last long at all. When the Vive released with motion controllers, that's when VR became truly exciting for waaaaaaaaaay more people.

The 3D makes it a believable world with depth and distance. It's a huge part of what sells VR and immersion.

low-G

The person I personally know who only has vision in one eye has actually been the most immersed and the most afraid of scary things in VR. (This leads me to believe that maybe those with stereoscopic vision need the focus field tech to be as immersed)

I think it will be just as immersive to you based on that.

Without the 3D effect it just wouldn't be immersive to those with stereoscopic vision at all.

The 3D makes it a believable world with depth and distance. It's a huge part of what sells VR and immersion.

:/

Except people who have vision issues like Amnesiac or people who are blind in one eye will still be immersed.

How they see the world regularly will also be reflected in the VR world.

Again, no one really gave a shit about VR when it first released. The 3D effect can only carry a game so far before it stops being impressive. Being able to move around and interact in the virtual world is far more important.

webrunner

I've been thinking and what I really really want to try in VR:

Anime/DBZ-style martial arts - teleporting actually makes sense in this, as it's a method of escaping.
A card game where you actually hold the cards instead of point at them. Make it over the top anime nonsense complete with the arm thing from yu gi oh.

Ah yeah the 3rd sensor has one.

The one with the rift is near the controller bay

That one is specifically for the controller dongle- it's USB 2 and when I tried to use it with the rift it complained about dropped frames

Jo-El

Is it normal to have a warping effect when looking side to side? I notice it most when looking up at the tall buildings in Robo Recall. Everything looks kind of wavy when I look around. I don't remember seeing this the first couple of days of use, but maybe I just didn't notice at the time.

Tic174

Should I buy games from Steam or from Oculus?

Im personally going to try and buy all my games on steam as I know I will always be able to use them going forward. Where as with the Oculus store for instance im now going to have to rebuy all the games I bought for my GearVR, as they wont let me use them on the rift which sucks.

You're crazy

Me being crazy is beside the point. The 3D effect is a vital part of placing you in that world, VR wouldn’t get the time of day if it wasn’t emulating the way our eyes work. I’m not saying that the more enjoyable parts of VR aren’t the ability to interact and be present but to dismiss the 3D as a non factor is straight up wrong.

MazeHaze

Banned

Except people who have vision issues like Amnesiac or people who are blind in one eye will still be immersed.

Again, no one really gave a shit about VR when it first released. The 3D effect can only carry a game so far before it stops being impressive. Being able to move around and interact in the virtual world is far more important.
Eh, I'd say the 3d is a HUGE part of what makes it feel like I'm in a virtual world. My gf agrees too, she thought VR was just gonna be like how those 360 vr videos are, like the other poster mentioned. A flat sphere you look around in.

3d gives the world and it's digital inhabitants presence.

MJPIA

Waiting to order my extra cables and mounts for when my $100 GC arrives. But it's now looking like they lost it. They're late on delivery a few days already :/

Edit:

Looks like I'm not alone. The good/bad news is my rift and controllers aren't set to arrive for like another week anyway.
If its been as long for you as it has for me contact Amazon.
Since there's been nothing since the 13th they are refunding me $100.
Hello,

I'm sorry your package never arrived and you had to contact us.

I've checked your order and found that there is no tracking update after July 13, 2017. Since the considerable time passed, at this time I can only assume that your package may lost or stolen.

In this case I've forwarded your feedback about shipping problem to our shipping department--I know they'll want to hear about your experience. We're aware that our choice of delivery services reflects on our business as a whole, and we appreciate your feedback. Each report they receive is investigated and the appropriate action is taken.​

When something like this happens, I'd normally send out a replacement order. In this case, though, we don't have any more stock of the item. I hope you understand our limitations.

Instead of this, I've requested a refund of $100.00, which covers the cost of the item and shipping, if any. We'll send you an e-mail to confirm the refund once it's complete.

You'll see the refund on your credit statement in the next 3-5 business days.

Crash331

Should I buy games from Steam or from Oculus?

Steam has refunds and the benefit of being where all your other games are.

Oculus has ease of use. BUT, you can make Steam a little easier. Download the Oculus Tray Tool and replace one of the demo/free games with a Steam VR link. You can then launch Steam VR from Oculus Home and not have to take the headset off or use the mouse.

Steam has refunds and the benefit of being where all your other games are.

Oculus has ease of use. BUT, you can make Steam a little easier. Download the Oculus Tray Tool and replace one of the demo/free games with a Steam VR link. You can then launch Steam VR from Oculus Home and not have to take the headset off or use the mouse.

I'm going to have to look up how to do this since this is the only reason I'm considering purchasing all my games on the oculus store.

Me being crazy is beside the point. The 3D effect is a vital part of placing you in that world, VR wouldn’t get the time of day if it wasn’t emulating the way our eyes work. I’m not saying that the more enjoyable parts of VR aren’t the ability to interact and be present but to dismiss the 3D as a non factor is straight up wrong.

It is an important factor for people with two working eyeballs.

But it is not important for others who can't see the 3D effect. You are overselling the effect in this case. Even if you were blind in one eye and couldn't see the object depth, VR would still be a worthwhile experience.

MDave

I went and bought Elite: Dangerous to try out in 2D/3D first (on my 4K 3D OLED TV) and I'm pretty happy with how the game looks and plays on that, making me reconsider getting a Rift. Image quality looks insane! So playing on the Rift will be a downgrade from that I guess? Also I dont think the Touch controllers are used in a meaningful way in Elite like other Rift games are?

Maybe I jump on board for the next generation of HMD's?

Convince me to get a Rift GAF!

hoserx

I went and bought Elite: Dangerous to try out in 2D/3D first (on my 4K 3D OLED TV) and I'm pretty happy with how the game looks and plays on that, making me reconsider getting a Rift. Image quality looks insane! So playing on the Rift will be a downgrade from that I guess? Also I dont think the Touch controllers are used in a meaningful way in Elite like other Rift games are?

I play games on a 165hz 1440p monitor......... the resolution of the Rift is a shock at first. Then you start playing stuff and it doesn't matter anymore. It's still very immersive.

Crash331

The Rift is pretty awesome for headlook in E:D. It just adds more immersion. I personally feel like a HOTAS adds more than VR in E:D, though. Image quality will definitely go down from a 4k monitor. Also, the god rays are pretty bad in E:D.

E:D has been my least favorite Rift experience so far, but I am enjoying the hell out of SUperhot VR and Robo Recall. Even Lucky's Tale looked pretty amazing.

low-G

Is it normal to have a warping effect when looking side to side? I notice it most when looking up at the tall buildings in Robo Recall. Everything looks kind of wavy when I look around. I don't remember seeing this the first couple of days of use, but maybe I just didn't notice at the time.

That is the effect of ASW (asynch space warp). It's taking 2D images of the last frame it rendered and warping them as intelligently as it can.

It happens because your GPU is insufficient to maintain 90Hz and/or your graphics settings are too high. You can disable it, but sometimes the hitches are more disruptive / nauseating. Generally I prefer the warping.

What's your GPU? Try turning down AA? (Normally, other than maxing out AA, a 1070 will run Robo Recall without ever hitting ASW)

Me being crazy is beside the point. The 3D effect is a vital part of placing you in that world, VR wouldn't get the time of day if it wasn't emulating the way our eyes work. I'm not saying that the more enjoyable parts of VR aren't the ability to interact and be present but to dismiss the 3D as a non factor is straight up wrong.

If you don't see stereoscopically, you won't miss it and your VR experience won't be compromised.

Izuna

Banned
That one is specifically for the controller dongle- it's USB 2 and when I tried to use it with the rift it complained about dropped frames

USB 2.0 for the headset is fine. There's no way it caused dropped frames.

I use the cable because I plug the USB into the powered hub, so I can use my kb+m at the same time (laptop only has 3 ports).

VR image qualilty is a weird thing. Some games look terrible on it with jaggies and shimmering all over the place, some have found a way to nearly get rid of it completely. Elite Dangerous is not one of those games, but it still looks decent when you're in space (not when you're docked though, the sharpness of the structures show tons of aliasing). the bigger problem with the visuals in E:D is that the contrast of bright light to the darkness of space causes lense induced light rays, and it can be pretty rough.

Adding the 3rd dimension somehow mitigates resolution issues though, it's like your eye stops focusing on the lines and starts focusing on the depth. Hard to explain.

Jo-El

That is the effect of ASW (asynch space warp). It's taking 2D images of the last frame it rendered and warping them as intelligently as it can.

It happens because your GPU is insufficient to maintain 90Hz and/or your graphics settings are too high. You can disable it, but sometimes the hitches are more disruptive / nauseating. Generally I prefer the warping.

What's your GPU? Try turning down AA? (Normally, other than maxing out AA, a 1070 will run Robo Recall without ever hitting ASW)

I have a 1070 and an equally beefy CPU to go with it. It appears to be happening all the time now, even in oculus home. I swear it wasn't happening until my touch controllers came in and I set that up. Maybe it's a driver issue? I'll try a fresh install of the oculus software.

Pavaloo

Rift+Touch just got delivered from BestBuy. Waiting at home T-T it's going to be a long day at work! I'm glad I'll get to play it today.

Third sensor comes from BestBuy on Friday~

everything's coming up Milhouse

Izuna

Banned
I have a 1070 and an equally beefy CPU to go with it. It appears to be happening all the time now, even in oculus home. I swear it wasn't happening until my touch controllers came in and I set that up. Maybe it's a driver issue? I'll try a fresh install of the oculus software.

I turned it off. But otherwise, use Oculus Tray Tool to monitor your performance. Supersampling is very taxing on the 1070

Dartastic

Presumably I should receive both if my order looks like this?

9a94a1057b.png
I'm wondering the same thing. I'd like to get an extra Xbox controller.

Amneisac

I guess I'd be interested to try it out. I've been compensating for my lack of stereoscopic vision since birth so it's really not that big of a deal, but I don't know how it is going to look with the lenses so close to my face.

For example, when I go to the DMV and do the vision test if I just look forward normally I can't see the letters out of both eyes at once the other eye is just black. Where as in normal life when I look around I still have peripheral vision on the non dominant side (which I can change at will). It's kind of weird.

I could see it mattering more in certain games than others. Games where you have to dodge things for example would be more likely to not work for me where as just normal point and shoot stuff should be fine.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'd like to get an extra Xbox controller.
Well, my touch controllers are being delivered on Saturday and the headset is still waiting for stock, so even if they have run out of the bundle with the Xbox controller and remote I guess that means we get the new version with two extra controllers instead?

In that case I'll either grow an extra pair of arms or sell the spare touch controllers on EBay. I wouldn't mind the controller either, so win/win really.

low-G

Definitely not normal, and almost certainly a software issue (driver, or Oculus installation, or something like that). You haven't set up system-wide super sampling or something, right?

I'm not the best at diagnosing problems with Oculus or such, so sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom