• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJPIA

Woohoo
9cjmtOk.png
Maybe they really did bump me up in the priority list for complaining about how long its taking.

iosefe

The Chef

it supported one of the older dev kit versions of the oculus, this is the first time it has been designed to work with CV1

Ahh very cool. I bought the game when it was $9.99 on the Steam sale. Really looking forward to trying it on VR.

Woohoo

Maybe they really did bump me up in the priority list for complaining about how long its taking.

Congrats dude!

ElyrionX

Finally got my PCIE USB 3.0 card up and running and it works with the Rift Sensors. It's a cheap $8 unbranded card that I took a calculated risk on based on the the USB controller stated (Renesas D720201) which is the exact same one used in one of the Rosewill cards that another GAFer had posted here earlier.

This whole USB 3.0 PCI-E card issue is an extremely shady move by Oculus, IMO. They list only one goddamn compatible card (Inateck) on their official page which is a pretty expensive card that doesn't ship to other countries from Amazon. There are far cheaper cards on Amazon that have been verified by other users to work but not verified by Oculus which makes it really hard to purchase with confidence. The only thing they tell you is to buy any card running some obscure chipset (Freso Logic FL1100EX) which returns one goddamn search result when you look it up on Amazon and it also costs more than the Inateck card they recommend.

It's a whole clusterfuck of a situation and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that an employee or stakeholder in Oculus also owns Inateck.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My rift from amazon finally shipped. CS told me my touch controllers should be in this week

kind of lame i have to wait for touch but i can't wait to try it out

Weevilone

Mine shipped too. Now I need to figure out what extensions and stuff I need.

My PC is on the floor like 4-5 feet to my left. I suppose that's bad.

LOLCats

Banned
Do touch controllers come with a usb extension cable for the sensor? It looks like they do but I'm not sure.

the usb extension came with the xbox controller adapter. There was not one in the touch box. I dont know about the new kit though. I got the separate boxes deal from BB

Oh wait yeah I misread, those cables only come with a standalone sensor.

I just bought this thing. Gonna try the 2-sensor roomscale setup.

I was thinking about buying a couple of those as well, but then I saw they were USB2.0. Aren't they supposed to be 3.0 for the sensors?

Also, a question for anyone who knows or cares to answer. At that length, would the sensor work as well as it is intended to?

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Oculus Rift + Touch Virtual Reality System"
Estimated arrival date: August 07, 2017

Sounds good to me :)

The Chef

^ Nice!

Oh wait yeah I misread, those cables only come with a standalone sensor.

I just bought this thing. Gonna try the 2-sensor roomscale setup.

Everyone says you should really stick to 3.0 USB.

I was thinking about buying a couple of those as well, but then I saw they were USB2.0. Aren't they supposed to be 3.0 for the sensors?

Also, a question for anyone who knows or cares to answer. At that length, would the sensor work as well as it is intended to?

Dont quote me on this but I believe a 3 meter USB 3.0 extension is nearly its limit. Any more than that and I believe you need to get a cable that also plugs into a wall outlet for additional power.

Dartastic

Question for those who have dealt with this before, but there are games that I want to play seated (Eve: Valkyrie, Lucky's Tale, etc.) but when I configured my Rift, they told me to stand up and the games don't seem to have an easy way for me to calibrate whether I'm sitting or standing and adjust my view accordingly. Any ideas on how to fix that?

TI82

Banned
Just got my Widmovr presciption lenses and they are super awesome/nice.

Sucks they forgot to include my new cover though

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Yes, you can go into the Oculus options (the menu button on the right Touch), and disable the guardian
Indeed that worked. But oddly, there wasn't a way to redo the play area in that same menu. My play area has shifted by like a foot. I probably accidentally moved a sensor something, but it's a bit off now.

Google tells me it's "Settings > Devices > Configure Rift > Guardian System" so I guess I'll dig through that next time I put my headset on. I see it while clicking in the Oculus software but I don't think I saw it when I looked around the in-oculus menu system. Oh well.

I tried one Echo Arena today. Tutorial plus one match. I'm having some trouble pulling myself in the exact direction I want. Same issue with throwing accuracy. But it was pretty fun.

I felt a bit off while playing it, and it's persisting a bit after. Not as bad as Dirt Rally but still. Hopefully I have less of a problem with it over time. Never had any issues with motion sickness from regular video games.

Question for those who have dealt with this before, but there are games that I want to play seated (Eve: Valkyrie, Lucky's Tale, etc.) but when I configured my Rift, they told me to stand up and the games don't seem to have an easy way for me to calibrate whether I'm sitting or standing and adjust my view accordingly. Any ideas on how to fix that?

https://support.oculus.com/200305533724698

The first step on this page ^^

Soroc

Great to hear! Where do you live? How long ago did you order them and was your order a custom order? Still waiting for confirmation of mine shipping out but its a custom cut I ordered last week.

Chumley

Banned
Buy Lone Echo. Seriously, your experience will not be complete until you try Lone Echo. I'm floored.

I love it but I can't handle more than 45 min a day. Makes me completely nauseous otherwise and after the first day I felt terrible the entire next day. VR is no joke.

iosefe

I tried one Echo Arena today. Tutorial plus one match. I'm having some trouble pulling myself in the exact direction I want. Same issue with throwing accuracy. But it was pretty fun.

I felt a bit off while playing it, and it's persisting a bit after. Not as bad as Dirt Rally but still. Hopefully I have less of a problem with it over time. Never had any issues with motion sickness from regular video games.
Consider turning on continuous roll for your yaw movements. Smooth rather than 15° at a time

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Consider turning on continuous roll for your yaw movements. Smooth rather than 15° at a time

No, no no...if the original control scheme is already making the user feel slightly off turning these 2 options will certainly make it worse. They're turned off specifically because most people can't handle them. Snap turns and disabling continuous roll are there for comfort reasons.

hamchan

Here's my update again where I ordered this thing July 14th and it still hasn't shipped yet.

I guess they completely ran out of stock, which is good for them.

Has anyone had a touch controller go bad? I just got mine last week and the right trigger makes a "clacking" sound when pressed. The left one doesn't.

I've used it for maybe 10 hours total...seriously disappointing.

Blam

Indeed that worked. But oddly, there wasn't a way to redo the play area in that same menu. My play area has shifted by like a foot. I probably accidentally moved a sensor something, but it's a bit off now.

Google tells me it's "Settings > Devices > Configure Rift > Guardian System" so I guess I'll dig through that next time I put my headset on. I see it while clicking in the Oculus software but I don't think I saw it when I looked around the in-oculus menu system. Oh well.

You need to goto the devices menu and just click the button to the right that's above all the devices. It'll show a drop down with all the stuff you can do one of them being redoing the play area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/

This can also help.

Robo recall is hard as fuck I can't get more than one star on any map.

yeah for some it's a difficult game.

I have two sensors, diagonally opposed each corner of the ceiling of a small, ~17' x 10' room and full 360 works absolutely perfectly in games like Climbey and Onward. Will a third sensor even do anything? I only get errors when i flop on the ground on top of a remote in Onward or if i'm crouched in a weird position trying to use a syringe or something... and i'm not 100% sure that's all due to tracking. Wondering if it's a waste of ~$80+ ($60 sensor, another mount $7 and extension $13).

Wow, purchased it with low expectations, but it's worse than I thought.

You actually still can see the screendoor effect and the shimmering is crazy, pics of stars are like looking at disco lights. How the hell are people playing Elite Dangerous with this, especially with this low resolution and the view distances you got there?
Text is obviously easier to read compared to DK2, but still not nearly good enough. Can't use desktop mode in VR more than a short while without hurting my eyes.
FOV still too low.
The worst issue though is the godrays, jesus christ, it's everywhere!
Every bright light source emits godrays that makes the image seem smudged, like vaselin on the lenses. I see them literally everywhere there is a bright source, especially when looking around, which "moves" around the godray beams.

I have no idea how you guys deal with this shitty IQ, my eyes and head hurt after a few minutes and I regretted opening it up pretty much instantly. I almost prefer my DK2 to this due to the incredibly annoying godrays.

I was interested in purchasing these, but I am wondering if they will fit on a 3rd party replacement cover. I am assuming so, as the 3rd party cover (vrcover) is supposed to be identical but I'm not 100% sure until I receive it in the mail,.

Chumley

Banned

You actually still can see the screendoor effect and the shimmering is crazy, pics of stars are like looking at disco lights. How the hell are people playing Elite Dangerous with this, especially with this low resolution and the view distances you got there?
Text is obviously easier to read compared to DK2, but still not nearly good enough. Can't use desktop mode in VR more than a short while without hurting my eyes.
FOV still too low.
Every bright light source emits godrays that makes the image seem smudged, like vaselin on the lenses. I see them literally everywhere there is a bright source, especially when looking around, which "moves" around the godray beams.

I have no idea how you guys deal with this shitty IQ, my eyes and head hurt after a few minutes and I regretted opening it up pretty much instantly. I almost prefer my DK2 to this due to the incredibly annoying godrays.

The IQ is terrible, yeah, but I just play for very short seasons so I don't mind that much. I feel like $300 was the right price for the blurriness, godrays, and SDE. Lots to improve on for gen2.

Blam

FOV still too low.

If the godrays are this bad, you've yet to put it on properly. Since I know for a fact that you can play without godrays if you put it on properly.

Yeah you can see the SDE on both headsets, seriously not much you can do unless you're able to get something along the lines of StarVR.

If the godrays are this bad, you've yet to put it on properly. Since I know for a fact that you can play without godrays if you put it on properly.

Yeah you can see the SDE on both headsets, seriously not much you can do unless you're able to get something along the lines of StarVR.

This. Might just be my eyes but when adjusted properly i get very little god-rays. This was after a lot of trial and error of lens placement... but once you know where it should go it helps a lot!

Listonosh

I'm about to purchase the WidmoVR rift cover, but I know there are a few more alternatives. Does anyone have a preference, or knows one is more comfortable than the other? I just need something that's going to eliminate that pressure from my face.

I'm about to purchase the WidmoVR rift cover, but I know there are a few more alternatives. Does anyone have a preference, or knows one is more comfortable than the other? I just need something that's going to eliminate that pressure from my face.

I've read great things about Vrcover, which I ordered, should be getting it any day now

Blam

This. Might just be my eyes but when adjusted properly i get very little god-rays. This was after a lot of trial and error of lens placement... but once you know where it should go it helps a lot!

As much as this seems like a meme, it's also that you can get a bad set of lenses. A friend got his headset recently and his god rays are literally non-existent. I'm jealous. But regardless you can still minimize the shit out of them by wearing it correctly.

MDave

FOV still too low.

I will buy it off you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom