• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

I see it most of the time there's a bright source on darker backgrounds. It either looks like vaseline streaks on non-black areas or proper rays on dark/black areas. So it's very visible in my case, especially when looking around, since the rays moves around in different directions making it more noticeable.
Haven't tried to immerse myself into a game yet, but I'm not sure what to do about it in dark horror and space games, which worries me.
Will update after some experimentation and trying proper games.
Any updates? Curious how you're feeling about the godrays with the insert popped out. I have issues with the rays too... I see them everywhere and it's very distracting.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
It's more about me wondering how you deal with all the godrays, shimmering and the low res in a game that have a lot of tiny details like stars and ships far away?
Won't it be like nonstop blinking from all the stars and make your eyes hurt trying to focus on ships far away that's just a small pixelated mess with godrays going in all directions?

I've never played this game, so it's a serious question, I've been thinking about purchasing it for VR but I really do not want to spend cash on something that ultimately will just give me a headache.

This kinda reminds me of my discussion with friends who watch cam rips of AAA movies and go "eh i don't mind, the difference isn't big to me".

Perhaps I've become accustomed to it because unless I think about it or search it out I really don't notice the godrays. I've played ED for hours straight without ever thinking about these issues. For instance when I'm bounty hunting it's all about spatial awareness and locking onto ships as they pass overhead. Or if I'm exploring planets or systems..the scale of everything just immerses me that much more. I'm usually thinking about where the prettiest view is or how I can navigate the terrain.

If you sit there and just look for issues you'll find them. If you actually sit down and play the world melts around you and you lose yourself in the game.

In regards to your analogy I consider VR the full theater experience and the 2d monitor version the "cam" version ;)

It is surprising as gearVR is cheaper and shipped over 4.5mil units last year alone and estimates say they'll sell another 4mil this year. As for PSVR up until recently it has outsold both vive and rift combined by most estimates. Since psvr release It has regularly outsold both since it's launch. If you weren't surprised then you probably weren't aware of these underlying figures.

--->

(and Amazon charts don't really indicate very much anyway)

So, to start with, what's the time period that the Amazon chart represents?

Also, you bring up "shipped" figured for the Gear VR, and again:

I mean, the Gear VR [...] has been given away for free a number of times

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yeah hopefully I can see past that as well when I find some interesting games to play, have only tested it in different environments.
Will check robo recall out, gotta setup my touch controllers as well.

If only the godrays weren't there, I'd be much much happier with the purchase.

More like begging me to not give it another chance.
Let's see if my hmd might just have bad lenses or something, gonna contact support.

hmm, I still think you should return or sell it. Maybe Oculus will fix it in gen 2.

Any updates? Curious how you're feeling about the godrays with the insert popped out. I have issues with the rays too... I see them everywhere and it's very distracting.

Sorry for taking so long, didn't have the energy to take it out of the box again :D
Sitting with it right now, removed the insert and "free-handed" it around for a bit.
I noticed that the godrays actually are more prominent without the insert.
After playing around with it for a bit, the godrays are worse the closer to the lenses you are.
It actually looked fairly good and a bit sharper when I held the HMD a bit further away from my eyes.
Maybe that's why everyone have such different experiences, it all depends on how close your eyes are to the lenses, maybe some of us need thicker cushion on the insert?
Gonna test around a bit more tomorrow, too late to play something now :p

Perhaps I've become accustomed to it because unless I think about it or search it out I really don't notice the godrays. I've played ED for hours straight without ever thinking about these issues. For instance when I'm bounty hunting it's all about spatial awareness and locking onto ships as they pass overhead. Or if I'm exploring planets or systems..the scale of everything just immerses me that much more. I'm usually thinking about where the prettiest view is or how I can navigate the terrain.

If you sit there and just look for issues you'll find them. If you actually sit down and play the world melts around you and you lose yourself in the game.

In regards to your analogy I consider VR the full theater experience and the 2d monitor version the "cam" version ;)

Thanks, always wanted to fly around in there in VR (Space is so damn beautiful), so I'll just grab Elite on a sale regardless. I don't really want to wait another 2 years for a better VR experience anyway.

hmm, I still think you should return or sell it. Maybe Oculus will fix it in gen 2.

Thanks for your input, we'll see what happens.
I'll probably just sell DK2, since I kinda need Touch anyway.

TI82

Banned
Great to hear! Where do you live? How long ago did you order them and was your order a custom order? Still waiting for confirmation of mine shipping out but its a custom cut I ordered last week.

I live in Alaska and it took a few days to ship and then by the time I got them it was about 2 weeks. I think the demand is up though so that's why it is slower for you.

Set mine up earlier today and have played through a bunch of the "Experiences" on the Oculus store and played a bit of Lucky's Tale and here are my thoughts for anybody that may be interested.

-Setup
I thought the setup was generally really easy. I had one issue in that the Oculus app would say "Can't connect to server" and then close, but I solved the issue with some troubleshooting (The C: drive was low on storage), I think they could have done a better job going through what issues my occur and how to solve them rather than forcing me to go on Google/Reddit figuring out the solution. Other than that the setup was a breeze. Everything connected right away with no issue and it was super easy to get set up.

-Comfort
The headset itself is far lighter than I expected and it feels great on the head. The whole putting it on/taking it off experience is great and very easy to do and I like how easy it is to adjust the straps. The earphones are comfortable and sound great as well. I really like how easy it is to pick up and set down the headset. I was expecting it to be big and bulky but it is easy to put on, take off, unplug, and store in my desk.

-Glasses
Unfortunately this ended up being as bad as I feared it would be. The whole experience of putting it on/taking it off using glasses felt cumbersome. I couldn't figure out how to do it properly and even when I came up with a solution I felt uncomfortable because it felt like I had to shove the glasses in and pop my head into place. Taking the headset off with glasses is even more difficult and often the glasses get stuck inside leaving me to pry them out after I get my head out, this is really worrisome because the glasses are touching the lenses which would leave me worried about durability. Finally, it just isn't comfortable to use them with the headset (At least for me) the glasses themselves aren't a huge issue, but the bridge just pushes into my forehead and it is very discomforting.

-Visual quality.
In all honesty I have no complaints I can definitely see the god rays you guys are talking about, but (And this could solely be based off the limited amount of gaming I did) it didn't seem nearly as bad as I was expecting. I played Lucky's Tale, a ton of the different video demos, and a bit of the Desktop and it really wasn't bad. The screen looks great. I'm going to buy something like Elite Dangerous and try it tomorrow so we will see how that goes over.

-VR Sickness
I got SUPER dizzy playing Lucky's Tale at the very beginning when you start the game and move around. I was expecting it at all and it only lasted for 5 minutes or so but god damn was it intense. I didn't feel dizzy in any of the other experiences I tried so I am not sure if it was just a one time thing or not. I hope it isn't a bad sign of things to come for something like Elite Dangerous.

-Final Thoughts.
Early impressions are that it is super fun, but I feel like I may end up returning it to Amazon. The discomfort with glasses is something that I may be able to look over, but the bigger issue is that I have come to the realization I don't have the space for Room-Scale and honestly that is what excited me most about VR. I have my PC set up in my bedroom and don't have the space to rig all the wires across the room and drill mounts in the corners. I really wish it was something like the Vive's lighthouses because that would be easier to setup without having to run cords to the computer. I'm going to think it over and try to get the measuring tape out to see if I could make it work and if not play a few more games before sending it back.

-Glasses
Unfortunately this ended up being as bad as I feared it would be. The whole experience of putting it on/taking it off using glasses felt cumbersome. I couldn't figure out how to do it properly and even when I came up with a solution I felt uncomfortable because it felt like I had to shove the glasses in and pop my head into place. Taking the headset off with glasses is even more difficult and often the glasses get stuck inside leaving me to pry them out after I get my head out, this is really worrisome because the glasses are touching the lenses which would leave me worried about durability. Finally, it just isn't comfortable to use them with the headset (At least for me) the glasses themselves aren't a huge issue, but the bridge just pushes into my forehead and it is very discomforting.

get these

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

Izuna

Banned
Just but thinner frames a few your glasses problem is all sorted.

I went from "shit this is impossible" to, "I don't even notice them."

You can get cheap frames

vermadas

Sorry for taking so long, didn't have the energy to take it out of the box again :D
Sitting with it right now, removed the insert and "free-handed" it around for a bit.
I noticed that the godrays actually are more prominent without the insert.
After playing around with it for a bit, the godrays are worse the closer to the lenses you are.
It actually looked fairly good and a bit sharper when I held the HMD a bit further away from my eyes.
Maybe that's why everyone have such different experiences, it all depends on how close your eyes are to the lenses, maybe some of us need thicker cushion on the insert?
Gonna test around a bit more tomorrow, too late to play something now :p

Hah, the opposite problem of what I expected. Easier to solve though. VRCover sells their own Rift inserts and they have a "long" version:
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

Soroc

I live in Alaska and it took a few days to ship and then by the time I got them it was about 2 weeks. I think the demand is up though so that's why it is slower for you.

Got my notification today that my order is complete and has shipped out! Should hopefully be about 1.5 weeks now.....

Is it August 11th yet??

Still waiting.

scott-pilgrim-wednesday.jpg

Mascot

I have a stupid question: Can you disable one len?

Is this so that anyone with monocular vision can get better performance from their hardware? Sounds like a good idea, not a stupid question..!

I don't *think* it's currently a universal setting but it should be. It could also be temporarily toggled in games where you look through a sniper scope or through a telescope, for example.

fresquito

Is this so that anyone with monocular vision can get better performance from their hardware? Sounds like a good idea, not a stupid question..!

I don't *think* it's currently a universal setting but it should be. It could also be temporarily toggled in games where you look through a sniper scope or through a telescope, for example.
Thanks!

Man... as a fan of military FPS... and having loads of real-world firearm experience... Onward is a game changer for me and really solidified this purchase. I can see myself playing LOADS of this game. I get no motion sickness surprisingly and everything works pretty damn well. I thought CS and CoD Search and Destroy rounds got intense... shit!

How is Pavlov? Does it "feel" as good too? While Onward is amazing... i think i'd also like some quick and simple Deathmatch as well.

Man... as a fan of military FPS... and having loads of real-world firearm experience... Onward is a game changer for me and really solidified this purchase. I can see myself playing LOADS of this game. I get no motion sickness surprisingly and everything works pretty damn well. I thought CS and CoD Search and Destroy rounds got intense... shit!

How is Pavlov? Does it "feel" as good too? While Onward is amazing... i think i'd also like some quick and simple Deathmatch as well.

Pavlov feels good, but I wouldn't say quite as good as Onward mechanically. Onward just feels a bit more polished, not to mention the maps and everything are way better thought out. The only thing I hate about Onward (after playing about 200 hours) is the damn lobbies. So yeah, I see why you would want Deathmatch, and Pavlov is the place for that. VR lobbies are a bad idea in general...nobody wants to sit there stuck in VR with nothing to do just waiting for a match to end.

Pavlov feels good, but I wouldn't say quite as good as Onward mechanically. Onward just feels a bit more polished, not to mention the maps and everything are way better thought out. The only thing I hate about Onward (after playing about 200 hours) is the damn lobbies. So yeah, I see why you would want Deathmatch, and Pavlov is the place for that. VR lobbies are a bad idea in general...nobody wants to sit there stuck in VR with nothing to do just waiting for a match to end.

EXACTLY! I mean its the only thing i'm really disliking. I wish there were some mini-games or something you could do while back at the tent. A firing range with some kind of VS score tracker so you could play against other dead players... a ping-pong table... dart board or pool table etc. Some "bar" style games would be really cool to have during the down time.

I'll likely pick up Pavlov and try it out. Man... i wouldnt have thought so before... but there is a REAL potential for multiplayer FPSs in VR!

Anyone aware of any other competitive, multiplayer experiences in development? (i do love Echo Arena as well)

I nearly took the plunge today at £399. I had to stop myself though because I know I need a whole new cpu, mobo, graphics card and ram to get anything out of it.... What's the average amount I'd be looking at for those items these days anyway?

The Dude

The IQ isn't going to be as good as regular gaming screens so going in expecting that is just silly imho.

But having a stronger gpu helps with the supersampling, jacking it up to 1.5 or so helps dramatically. Honestly it looks damn good if you ask me using my 1080 ti

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I nearly took the plunge today at £399. I had to stop myself though because I know I need a whole new cpu, mobo, graphics card and ram to get anything out of it.... What's the average amount I'd be looking at for those items these days anyway?

What's your current specs?

Soi-Fong

The IQ isn't going to be as good as regular gaming screens so going in expecting that is just silly imho.

But having a stronger gpu helps with the supersampling, jacking it up to 1.5 or so helps dramatically. Honestly it looks damn good if you ask me using my 1080 ti

My 980 Ti can push things pretty well still for me. I really want to upgrade though to the 1080 Ti, but I'd rather just wait for Volta.

I have a 1080 in my laptop. How do I jack up the the supersampling on the rift?

What's your current specs?

Very old, sure it's hardly worth mentioning, a first gen i7 for starters. So definitely need new main components. Only the case and PSU are probably reusable!

Do you have to buy dedicated cooling these days with a decent CPU or is the one they ship with good enough as long as you have decent airflow and aren't overclocking?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Very old, sure it's hardly worth mentioning, a first gen i7 for starters. So definitely need new main components. Only the case and PSU are probably reusable!

Do you have to buy dedicated cooling these days with a decent CPU or is the one they ship with good enough as long as you have decent airflow and aren't overclocking?

Stock HSFs are fine if you aren't planning to overclock. That said, there are good cheap cooling solutions that can handle some basic overclocking needs (like $20 cheap).

Akoi

Stock HSFs are fine if you aren't planning to overclock. That said, there are good cheap cooling solutions that can handle some basic overclocking needs (like $20 cheap).

I always recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus or Evo to people since it's cheap and offers so much more than stock cooling. (Also good chance you will use it longer than your CPU)

Soroc

I still need to get Onward... So many games... Step up your immersion with a gun stock :)

https://www.protubevr.com/

rtcn63

If you're buying a newer i7, you really want to consider either a higher-end heatsink (think Noctua or AIO liquid) or a pre-delidded model from say, Silicon Lottery. Because of certain... continuing design choices, intel CPU's run HOT. (Might not be an issue with AMD Ryzen CPU's, a 1600 or 1700 should be enough for high-end gaming IIRC)

Also, overclocking isn't all that necessary for modern gaming purposes. You're looking at like a 0-2% increase on the more CPU-demanding games. EDIT: I meant in the context of i7s, specifically the 7700k. Do get (at least) 3200mhz 8x2GB of ram if you can afford it.

And if it's a really, really old PSU, buying a new one isn't a terrible idea. The tech changes, and particularly if you're current PSU is a cheapo. (Compatibility issues with new GPU's, even if the wattage is enough on paper, is somewhat common) Something well-recommended and in the 650W range should do.

webrunner

how do you import steam games into oculus using the latest test version? I ran a steam game (Accounting, if it matters) but I dont see steamvr or accounting in Oculus Home

Soroc

Is there a way to use this as a display only for non-VR games?

Get Bigscreen VR. Its free and amazing and probably the best fidelity bigscreen/virtual desktop on the market. It also has a social aspect to hang out with up to 3 people in a room.

Would you guys say it's worth jumping into VR with Oculus now that it's got the summer discount? I'm a bit hesitant considering it is a fairly large amount of money and I've never really experienced VR before so I don't know how I'd find it.

I've got a few questions that I'd appreciate if I could get answered

How is the headset in general compared to others on the market? I've heard the term screen door effect thrown around and how the Oculus suffers from it more compared to something like the PSVR. Is that true?

Would my pc be able to handle most VR games? I've got 8gigs of ram, a 390 and an i5 6500.

How is the motion control? You don't get up and move around like you do with the vive right? I'm looking for more of a sit-down experience where you just use the motion controllers to aim your guns and things like that.

Finally, how much room is necessary for an ideal Oculus experience, it would be used in my bedroom and I don't have a ton of room for sensors or anything like that.

Oh also, around how long does delivery in the UK take on average for it?

If you're buying a newer i7, you really want to consider either a higher-end heatsink (think Noctua or AIO liquid) or a pre-delidded model from say, Silicon Lottery. Because of certain... continuing design choices, intel CPU's run HOT. (Might not be an issue with AMD Ryzen CPU's, a 1600 or 1700 should be enough for high-end gaming IIRC)

Also, overclocking isn't all that necessary for modern gaming purposes. You're looking at like a 0-2% increase on the more CPU-demanding games. Do get (at least) 3200mhz 8x2GB of ram if you can afford it.

And if it's a really, really old PSU, buying a new one isn't a terrible idea. The tech changes, and particularly if you're current PSU is a cheapo. (Compatibility issues with new GPU's, even if the wattage is enough on paper, is somewhat common) Something well-recommended and in the 650W range should do.
Thanks for the advice. Had an i7 for a long time but feel no brand loyalty or anything. My PSU was actually a pretty decent one, one of the first modular corsair ones, should do me fine.

Is this the kind of area I should be aiming for: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fTryPs

Or am I overreaching here, or are there areas I could spend a tiny bit more for a leap in power? I'm excited now about the idea of upgrading my PC, not just for OR!

Get Bigscreen VR. Its free and amazing and probably the best fidelity bigscreen/virtual desktop on the market. It also has a social aspect to hang out with up to 3 people in a room.

This is honestly the thing I am most looking forward to when my Rift comes.
I have a 3-screen desktop setup, but having it in VR should be awesome.

Soroc

This is honestly the thing I am most looking forward to when my Rift comes.
I have a 3-screen desktop setup, but having it in VR should be awesome.

It is pretty amazing. You will have to make some sacrifices and change some settings around in some games to get games running well inside it. But when they do its pretty freaking awesome. I was playing FFXIV last week inside of it on a curved screen right in front of me and when I look up to the big virtual cinema screen I had my plex media server streaming some movies.

Basic web surfing and things with small text on the floating screen can be a bit hard to read from a certain distance but if you pull the screen in close to you it gets much clearer. I'm still playing around and testing diff setups including using virtual screens instead of physical screens (since right now I only have 1 physical screen hooked up) but I can add 1 or 2 virtual screens to move things around to diff screens for multitasking.

The devs are awesome too and really working hard to squash bugs and add features. They have been releasing updates almost daily if not sometimes twice a day.

Izuna

Banned

Bigscreen kills performance tho. SteamVR Theatre is fine

Just got this in at work. One of the Windows Mixed Reality headsets Microsoft's been releasing to developers. It's pretty cool.

Looks super intriguing, how is the mixed reality part working out? As a user does the headset work well? And as a dev, any sense yet on how easy it is to get working?

Soroc

Bigscreen kills performance tho. SteamVR Theatre is fine

I haven't tried SteamVR Theater mode. Is it social? Can you have a couple people in the same room with each having their own screens and sharing a big screen with shared desktop audio and stuff too?

Edit: oh unless you are offering this as an alternative to just play non-vr games, in that case yeah it might be better, I'll have to try it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom