• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Danlord

I know, I was just affirming that the game is worth it.

As for the audio, here's a post I made earlier about it:
..the default audio mix is such that it's really hard to hear Abe's dialogue. I ratcheted the sound effects to 25% and the music to 50%, with voice at 100%, which helps a lot but I don't think the average user is going to do that and I hate the idea of people not getting to hear his story.
The same goes for the chants, all the voices were hard for me to hear until I adjusted the various volume sliders.

Ah that's good, do you play with headphones? I'm wondering if that'll help bring out the sounds more, the audio in the original games were fantastic and I want to know if it is fine that way.

Messiah

Movement feels a little clumsy, did the PS1 version have auto running? or was it walking and there was a button push for running?

There was a button for running and sneaking. Movement is the only thing I am still sceptical about. The controls of the original game were just so tight. Probably my favourite plattforming controls in any game.

Shin-Ra

The game doesn't record your mudokons saved from each chapter and let you replay past chapters to save them all does it? I liked how.. Resident Evil 5 broke the game down into chunks for replays like that. Makes speed running much more approachable too.

Just played on my EU account and it says playing "ONNT PS4 SCEA" I'm not gonna get in trouble for playing this on my EU account I'm I?

Does it say the same for everyone else?
I've seen quite a few finished games with messy titles like that. It's up to the developer to set a suitable title, right. Just wondering if SCE set some fallback title if the developer doesn't provide one.

Ah that's good, do you play with headphones? I'm wondering if that'll help bring out the sounds more, the audio in the original games were fantastic and I want to know if it is fine that way.
I play with a surround sound system. My center system is set to +3, louder than all my other speakers, and I can hear dialogue in other games and movies etc just fine. It's the game. But, like I said, playing around with the volume sliders does help.

Push button to run. Its push to run in this new game too, right?
Push stick halfway to walk, all the way to run. I'm not sure if there are alternate control schemes.

Okay, ran into an issue that may kill the game for me.

So I was in repture farm, saved about 26 or so at that point, and wandered into the stockyards door not realizing that was the end of the chapter.

After the FMV, I was informed I missed like 42, all dead now. Okay says I, i'll reload my quicksave and just not walk to that door yet. Game informed me that it can't load it anymore.

So I go into the load menu, thinking maybe I can load the last checkpoint. Last checkpoint is now stockyards, and the game doesn't keep track of old ones.

Furthermore, I can't find a way to hard save to get around this in the future.

It seems that if you go to the next chapter, something new folks may not even know is coming up, your previous chapter is hardsaved and you cannot go back to it, less you start that entire chapter over again. Given how this can result in hours of time lost each time, it seems like a pretty major downside to this save system.

Danlord

I play with a surround sound system. My center system is set to +3, louder than all my other speakers, and I can hear dialogue in other games and movies etc just fine. It's the game. But, like I said, playing around with the volume sliders does help.
Thanks, I'll be sure to tweak it if needs be via headphones.

So I was in repture farm, saved about 26 or so at that point, and wandered into the stockyards door not realizing that was the end of the chapter.

After the FMV, I was informed I missed like 42, all dead now. Okay says I, i'll reload my quicksave and just not walk to that door yet. Game informed me that it can't load it anymore.

So I go into the load menu, thinking maybe I can load the last checkpoint. Last checkpoint is now stockyards, and the game doesn't keep track of old ones.

It seems that if you go to the next chapter, something new folks may not even know is coming up, your previous chapter is hardsaved and you cannot go back to it, less you start that entire chapter over again. Given how this can result in hours of time lost each time, it seems like a pretty major downside to this save system.

That happened to me last night too.

Shin-Ra

Are there more groups of Muds where there were individuals before? I can't imagine how 200 more were squeezed in with the added areas described. More Elum and a few more secret areas here and there?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The sound mix is messed up on this game as well?

Ugh what is the deal with this generation's sound mixing?

bender

What time is it?
Quick save is worthless too. My best advice is to quit out of the game before going to a new area (that takes some previous knowledge) and to copy your save to another device or to the PS+ cloud service.

Are there more groups of Muds where there were individuals before? I can't imagine how 200 more were squeezed in with the added areas described. More Elum and a few more secret areas here and there?

They grouped them. I don't think there are any new secret areas in the first level but you should total 70 rescues in that area.

N30RYU

It clearñly says when you're leaving the area that All mudokons left will die.

If you're not sure that you have saved all, just copy the saved game to a USb or the cloud, and go to the next area... and if you miss any, just overwrite the save.

That happened to me last night too.

Actually, from the main menu, if you choose "Chapter Select" you can load any level you've already finished and then replay that chapter :)

It was something the original game suffered from, so we added the Chapter Select menu so you can basically go back and rescue the ones you've missed ;-)

Tohsaka

That happened to me. I found 20 and then moved on and had like 50 deaths, forcing me to start the chapter over.

Actually, from the main menu, if you choose "Chapter Select" you can load any level you've already finished and then replay that chapter :)

It was something the original game suffered from, so we added the Chapter Select menu so you can basically go back and rescue the ones you've missed ;-)

Except that means starting the entire chapter over again, with none of the previously saved ones saved. Every time you have to do that, that's X many additional hours wasted as you start from scratch.

It clearñly says when you're leaving the area that All mudokons left will die.

If you're not sure that you have saved all, just copy the saved game to a USb or the cloud, and go to the next area... and if you miss any, just overwrite the save.

Which doesn't help you if you don't realize the next screen is a new chapter. That's what happened here, I didn't remember that stockyards was the next area, and not part of the one I was in. I though the train was the stage exit instead. In reality, the train should have been my next stop, rather then the stockyards exit. No where did I see it saying this was some point of no return, and the game gave no option to return to where I just was, save for redoing the entire chapter.

Spineker

Banned
I want to go back to the earlier part of the first level to try and find some more secret areas but there is a Slig at the top of the elevator that kills me as soon so I get back up. Isn't there some way to kill this guy or am I fucked?

bender

What time is it?
Which doesn't help you if you don't realize the next screen is a new chapter. That's what happened here, I didn't remember that stockyards was the next area, and not part of the one I was in. I though the train was the stage exit instead. In reality, the train should have been my next stop, rather then the stockyards exit. No where did I see it saying this was some point of no return, and the game gave no option to return to where I just was, save for redoing the entire chapter.

Don't feel bad, same thing happened to me. I don't remember being prompted of a point of no return but I was up fairly late so I could have missed something completely obvious. I also got to replay the second level because of a bug.

I want to go back to the earlier part of the first level to try and find some more secret areas but there is a Slig at the top of the elevator that kills me as soon so I get back up. Isn't there some way to kill this guy or am I fucked?

Throw a cooked grenade up towards him and then drop one at your feet and roll out of the way. He'll drop down and hopefully catch the grenade you tossed at your feet.

While the save issue is odd, the game DOES tell you if you go beyond that point everyone prior to that dies. It's on the sign next to the exit.

It should be pretty clear that's a 'point of no return' or chapter break. But maybe I'm just used to it (when I first played Abe's Oddssey on the PSX that moment caught me off guard too.)

icespide

Banned
Ugh, so there is no way to replay individual chapters to get the remaining Mudokens?

Lame.

from the actual developer

There is a chapter select. I'm not sure if that wipes all of your forward progress though.

It seems to wipe out all progress in that chapter.

While the save issue is odd, the game DOES tell you if you go beyond that point everyone prior to that dies. It's on the sign next to the exit.

It should be pretty clear that's a 'point of no return' or chapter break. But maybe I'm just used to it (when I first played Abe's Oddssey on the PSX that moment caught me off guard too.)

All I saw was part of the scrolling marque a few rooms prior saying if you escape all members of your shift will be killed. I don't remember seeing anything at that door saying it was a point of no return.

You're bound to miss some (most?) mudokons on your first playthrough. I wouldn't beat myself over it. It's part of the experience, or my experience with the original anyway. By the time you finish the game the first time around you'll have learned so much, and be better prepared for your role as savior your next time through.

Gurish

This is such a fantastic game, better than most in the genre up until this day and haven't age a bit!

I hope this thread is a little too quiet because everyone are busy with playing, it would be a big fucking shame if this one doesn't do well.

Hope the developers are happy with initial numbers.

You worked on the game?

Did you see my post about the glitch I encountered last night? It's nothing major but I tried to quick load like pretty much at the same time I died and the screen just turned black. I could still hear when I moved around and stuff though. I had to go to the ps menu and close the it that way and restart the game. I was right back where I was supposed to be so it's not that bad and it hasn't happened to me again but I just thought y'all would like to know!

You're bound to miss some (most?) mudokons on your first playthrough. I wouldn't beat myself over it. It's part of the experience, or my experience with the original anyway. By the time you finish the game the first time around you'll have learned so much, and be better prepared for your role as savior your next time through.

The thing is, that rupture farms, for example, seems much larger now then before. I didn't realize that the door in question was the point of no return, and not just another part of the current chapter.

It would be one thing if I missed some due to missing secret areas, it's another when you just walk in the wrong door and lose everything. If it's this frustrating for a fan of the original, it's going to be even worse for new players.

Danlord

You worked on the game?

Did you see my post about the glitch I encountered last night? It's nothing major but I tried to quick load like pretty much at the same time I died and the screen just turned black. I could still hear when I moved around and stuff though. I had to go to the ps menu and close the it that way and restart the game. I was right back where I was supposed to be so it's not that bad and it hasn't happened to me again but I just thought y'all would like to know!
Hah. I think he had some involvement in the game, you know, being CEO of the company whom developed it :p

Danlord

Lol didn't even notice his tag!

:)

Still, I think it's incredible that the CEO is taking his time to respond to fans directly regarding any questions and concerns. Makes me remember a time when a game was developed by some studio in some corner of the world and we just bought and played their game and that was it. Now, fan feedback, interactions with developer and such is very prominent.

Rflagg

I left the plant, I just had to. So many mudokons dead, so much blood on my hands. ;_;

I made a huge mistake and killed 33 of them by escaping too soon, now I am trying to decide if I want to start all over or not. :/

The quick save thing makes hard completely enjoyable, but I don't see myself getting the timed trophy.

There was a button for running and sneaking. Movement is the only thing I am still sceptical about. The controls of the original game were just so tight. Probably my favourite plattforming controls in any game.

i think running was a button. same with sneaking

could be wrong though, its been a while haha

Push button to run. Its push to run in this new game too, right?

I knew I wasn't imagining things. Now there's no run button, it's analog stick sensitive and I hate that. Feels really clumsy at times and the original game was spot on with its controls

Other than that the game is awesome, really true to the original but bringing a nice new perspective

mattp

I knew I wasn't imagining things. Now there's no run button, it's analog stick sensitive and I hate that. Feels really clumsy at times and the original game was spot on with its controls

Other than that the game is awesome, really true to the original but bringing a nice new perspective

yeah i'm a little bummed about movement being on the analog sticks
i hate playing 2d sidescrolling games with analog

All I saw was part of the scrolling marque a few rooms prior saying if you escape all members of your shift will be killed. I don't remember seeing anything at that door saying it was a point of no return.
muYeCAf.jpg

The thing is, that rupture farms, for example, seems much larger now then before. I didn't realize that the door in question was the point of no return, and not just another part of the current chapter.

It would be one thing if I missed some due to missing secret areas, it's another when you just walk in the wrong door and lose everything. If it's this frustrating for a fan of the original, it's going to be even worse for new players.
Pretty sure it's the exact same layout and size.

Regardless, I'm fairly sure you can't save them all in the first chapter. From what I remember,
you come back to Rapture Farms later
. It's been many years so perhaps I'm wrong on that one.
Edit: Okay, reading Stewart's new post makes me believe that you can save them all.

Stuart444

Problem for me with that picture is I just played the original (which I did since I wanted to check it out once more before this releases here tomorrow), it says how many are left like "All 28 will die".

But in that pic, it doesn't say how many are left that will die. Kinda makes it hard to know how many to go back for. :/

So when you load the chapter through that the ones you saved will already be saved and only the ones that need saving will be left? Or does it start the chapter from scratch?

Top Bottom