• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

So when you load the chapter through that the ones you saved will already be saved and only the ones that need saving will be left? Or does it start the chapter from scratch?

It's chapter from scratch, however, if you rescue less the 2nd time, it remembers your BEST attempt.

Did you find the secret areas yet? especially the one RIGHT at the start? ;-)

Ha, just found it. Sneaky sneaky. So I guess that means I'm wrong about it being the exact same layout, eh.
Edit: looks like the secret doors are marked on the map, but just a little hard to see. Again, sneaky!

Did you find the secret areas yet? especially the one RIGHT at the start? ;-)

Yeah I knew about that one some I watched the IGN video. I found like 2 or 3 more secret areas since my last post though! I'm at 54 in the 1st chapter now. Only 16 more I think!

:)

Still, I think it's incredible that the CEO is taking his time to respond to fans directly regarding any questions and concerns. Makes me remember a time when a game was developed by some studio in some corner of the world and we just bought and played their game and that was it. Now, fan feedback, interactions with developer and such is very prominent.

Yeah when I was younger I would've never expected CEOs to be posting on forums about their game with fans!

VanWinkle

Is this game more puzzle than platformer (I'm still really early into it)? Is saving the creatures the main point or is the main point just getting to the end of the level, like a normal platformer?

Yeah I knew about that one some I watched the IGN video. I found like 2 or 3 more secret areas since my last post though! I'm at 54 in the 1st chapter now. Only 16 more I think!

There's 6 that I know about before you leave RuptureFarms, no doubt the rest of the team will tell me I'm missing some too :)

Where would you like to restart a level you've previously completed?

i'm not exactly sure what he's getting at, but it would be nice if the previously rescued remained rescued, so we could return there and complete the game like you would a metroid game or something of that nature before completion

Where would you like to restart a level you've previously completed?

I would just like to go back to the level and have to find those mudokons I haven't found yet, not all of them again, makes it difficult to track if the ones I am finding were found previously or not. Although the fact it tracks your best is nice.

Rflagg

I decided to go start all over, but I am sure that I am still missing 15, unless I misunderstood the directory.

I just want to congrats to everyone at just add water you guys and gals did an amazing job of updating this classic so that the challenge is still there if you want it, but the quick save feature alone is so awesome it really make the hard difficulty still completely fun.

Gekidami

Banned
you still hold a button down to sneak (L1). Controls are great for me so far
I recall in the original, walking was useful for edging up to... Well, edges before jumps. I really dont want to accidentally push too hard on the analogue when i'm trying to do that and send Abe sprinting off to the bottom of a chasm.

icespide

Banned
I recall in the original, walking was useful for edging up to... Well, edges before jumps. I really dont want to accidentally push too hard on the analogue when i'm trying to do that and send Abe sprinting off to the bottom of a chasm.

that is a good point, haven't run into any issues with that so far myself but I'm still very early.

I do recall seeing alternate control schemes in the settings menu but I didn't dig too deep in there

Is this game more puzzle than platformer (I'm still really early into it)? Is saving the creatures the main point or is the main point just getting to the end of the level, like a normal platformer?
I'd say it's more puzzle solving than dexterity-required platforming, but you definitely need to be good to execute your plans once you figure out a solution.

Your first time through I would say just try to get through the levels. By the time you finish the game you'll be a badass at everything, and will be better prepared to save as many mudokons as possible.

Peterthumpa

How long is the game? I played the original but never completed it. I'm pretty sure it was a rental.
Read a review this morning hinting on approx. 10 hours for their first playthrough. Pretty lengthy for today's standards.

Also, GoldenHelmet, awesome from you to be addressing some questions by yourself, so here's mine... is there a demo planned? This is the type of game that maybe would benefit a lot from one. But then, maybe not.

Had 4 crashes to splash screen since yesterday. Very annoying. Game is gorgeous and super fun though.

Edit: make that 5 now.

Really? :(

Sony QA reported one, which is fixed in the Day 1 patch.

Can I be a massive pain, if this happens again, and judging by your edit I think that's likely, can you tell me WHERE exactly, also which mode, language (if not English) how long you'd been playing for, what was happening then I'll get our internal QA on hunting it/them down.

Same for others here too, if you spot anything "buggy" please let me know here or via DM.

Appreciated

Stew

Robot Pants

i'm not exactly sure what he's getting at, but it would be nice if the previously rescued remained rescued, so we could return there and complete the game like you would a metroid game or something of that nature before completion
No. That's way too easy. Not in the vein of Oddworld.
You're lucky you even have more checkpoints and chapter select this time around. :)

low-G

Really enjoying the game, no complaints or problems.

I thought Abe moved too fast to control at first too (especially when you find the secret right at the beginning), but I've learned to control him well pretty quickly.

One small nitpick, I thought the cutscenes were supposed to be real time? Doesn't matter anyways.

No. That's way too easy. Not in the vein of Oddworld.
You're lucky you even have more checkpoints and chapter select this time around. :)

The originals save system is why I never completed it. Got tired of doing a puzzle, saving, then dying, and finding out none of what I did was actually saved.

On the upside, the remake is indeed awesome so far in terms of design and gameplay. I love that rupture farms feels much more like a factory now then it did before, much more happening in the background and in the new parts. Can't wait to see how the rest of the game looks.

The Lamp

Early in the game where I got to the area marked 2, Abe froze and all I could do was drop bottlecaps. Playing in English, on normal mode, been playing for about 45 minutes.

Btw how do I progress? This door won't open. I already saved the Mudokan above the door.

Acorn

God damn Sony with their lagged release days. Release all digital games on the same day like ms does.

Argh.

One small nitpick, I thought the cutscenes were supposed to be real time? Doesn't matter anyways.

We tried to, but the animation files were so big they just didn't fit in memory. On the plus side they are all still rendered from Unity, with only a bit of post processing in the intro and the final cutscene.

The rest are as is direct from Unity.

Just beat it on Hard with the good ending. Had 7 hard crashes to PS splash screen and a couple of bugs in game, but the quick save feature and the generally good checkpoints means nothing major is lost.

Starting again. Streaming on www.twitch.tv/krappadizzle if anyone is interested. I love this game.

JoeFenix

Really? :(

Sony QA reported one, which is fixed in the Day 1 patch.

Can I be a massive pain, if this happens again, and judging by your edit I think that's likely, can you tell me WHERE exactly, also which mode, language (if not English) how long you'd been playing for, what was happening then I'll get our internal QA on hunting it/them down.

Same for others here too, if you spot anything "buggy" please let me know here or via DM.

Appreciated

Stew

I've had a crash to XMB in the first level while trying to activate a lift with 2 mudokons currently following me (both were on the lift right next to Abe). It was later in the level, it's a large flat lift that goes down and transitions into a loading screen.

The crash happened as soon as I pressed square to activate the lift.

Why can't I buy this on UK psn store yet?! Can't find it anywhere! Really confused about seeing people pre-loading this game but every oddworld game apart from this one is on the store! :(

Either way when it does get in the store I'll be grabbing it. Love me some nostalgia! :)

Danlord

Why can't I buy this on UK psn store yet?! Can't find it anywhere! Really confused about seeing people pre-loading this game but every oddworld game apart from this one is on the store! :(

Either way when it does get in the store I'll be grabbing it. Love me some nostalgia! :)

The EU version isn't available for pre-load or pre-order so you won't see it until tomorrow when the store updates for us UK peeps. The pre-loading was only available to US (and Canada I think).

The Lamp

Okay how do I get to zone 2? I'm trying to look it up on Abes Oddyssey walk-throughs but they mention grenades and possession and I haven't seen any of that yet so is this even the same game? Or am I just missing a lot of content already? I have no idea how to get past this door after riding through the machine that takes you to the 2 door lol.

Early in the game where I got to the area marked 2, Abe froze and all I could do was drop bottlecaps. Playing in English, on normal mode, been playing for about 45 minutes.

Btw how do I progress? This door won't open. I already saved the Mudokan above the door.
Can you take a screenshot?

Edit: oh wait. I think that's all I could figure out to do there, I just went back the way I came.

The EU version isn't available for pre-load or pre-order so you won't see it until tomorrow when the store updates for us UK peeps. The pre-loading was only available to US (and Canada I think).

Oh ok gotcha. Darn Americans getting everything early :p

Completely forgot about the fact ukpsn updating every Wednesday. Didn't realise that meant new releases too (doh!). My bad!

oggob

US had the preorder ability and it released on their regular Tues...

PAL territories have to wait an exact day and there was no preorder option.

EDIT - Way late...

Okay how do I get to zone 2? I'm trying to look it up on Abes Oddyssey walk-throughs but they mention grenades and possession and I haven't seen any of that yet so is this even the same game? Or am I just missing a lot of content already? I have no idea how to get past this door after riding through the machine that takes you to the 2 door lol.

YES! I'm sorry to be happy with your misfortune here, but I am happy this game caught another victim to this, this happened to me with the original game... the answer is that you don't... there is another option in the area that progresses the story!

Did you enjoy it?

I really really did. The graphics and sound are great and the atmosphere is fantastic. Controls are better than the original and still faithful as well, but they still are a bit stiff. Overall fantastic game and looking forward to more from OI and JAW in the very near future.

The Lamp

Can you take a screenshot?

Edit: oh wait. I think that's all I could figure out to do there, I just went back the way I came.

Here's where I am. If I need to come back later that's fine, I just was going with the flow until I hit this door on the right lol.

LNMoI39h.jpg

Top Bottom