• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of the big 3 who’s on the hot seat?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Hotness on seats. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

maxresdefault.jpg

Happy Kamala Harris GIF by The Democrats

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
lmao at "Sony no" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imo they all suck. Nintendo are lazy, Sony went too woke and MS keeps playing russian roulette all by their own.

SEGA on the other hand keeps publishing cool games like SMT, Persona, Yakuza, UO or the upcoming Metaphor, so there's that.

Sonic still sucks tho.

Durin

Probably Sony, just because their output this gen has been pretty slow, not enough new IP, and genre variety isn't getting better with too many safe sequels.

Microsoft is probably worse on the game front, but game pass has been a boon that got me to check out games I never would have, and they just release everything on PC which I'm fine with.

Nintendo I guess it's overdue to already have the next Switch, but their game output has been solid, and they're going to save releases for their console launch like always. Also, with the huge diminished returns in graphics this gen, their hybrid approach where I can take all the games I'd play on the TV with me on the go appeals more to me now. The only weakness of current Switch is blurriness/pixelation on a big-screen TV, but the next Switch will likely hit PS4 to PS4 Pro level visuals, and that will be enough for me.

A.Romero

Great reference. Always happy to see Arrested Development references.

I think all of them have challenges to face and they need to be really good at adapting. Current success doesn't guarantee they'll be doing well tomorrow. All of them have had very tough times in the past and they could very well fall on to that again.

It seems Microsoft is seeing tougher times right now for sure but I would say they are the ones betting the hardest. It can still pay off.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Looking forward to Sparking Zero & Astrobot this year, so I'd say Sony are in the driver's seat for me. Will cop that new controller day 1 also.

Xbox bought the entire industry and still can't produce a game - nothing has changed since 2009 with them.

Nintendo doing what they always have/will... on track to having the most successful console of all-time in a significantly shorter time period too.

I don't think any of them are on the hot seat, personally. Sony and Nintendo have been doing well financially and Microsoft knows that the xbox brand, even when it's down, is still more valuable as a brand rather than a dead memory. I want to revisit this thread once all of the announced games for the xbox have finally come out. (Fable, Indiana Jones, Contraband, Avowed, OD, Elder Scrolls VI, Everwild, Perfect Dark, etc.) There is a massive list of games being worked on. I realize they could all be duds too, but someday I won't have to listen to people regurgitate the "xbox has no games" argument. Instead, it will transition to, "why does xbox exist if games aren't exclusive..." :messenger_winking_tongue:

This is a ridiculously long list of games still to be released on the xbox (largely multiplatform, but does it really matter?).

Drell

all of em kind of

as a pc gamer with a massive dong, not sure xbox or ps can satisfy me anymore.
nintendo might pull a wii u again and name the switch2 the "switcheroo" or something.
They might pull us a Wii U but they might also pull us an SNES, that's a long time ago but they're only at their second try launching a sucessor to a system that made them recover from one or more console(s) failure. That Wii U episode is still a single example and N64 + Gamecube were in another context. I hope they remember everything that was wrong with the disastrous marketing of the Wii U and do it right this time. If they were to fail again, they'd be in a hot seat for sure, but they'd have at least one gen to recover again I guess.

Humdinger

I want to revisit this thread once all of the announced games for the xbox have finally come out. (Fable, Indiana Jones, Contraband, Avowed, OD, Elder Scrolls VI, Everwild, Perfect Dark, etc.) .... Someday I won't have to listen to people regurgitate the "xbox has no games" argument.

By the time all those games release, it might be the other way around - "the games have no Xbox." ;)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nintendo because of their hardware?

Yes, it's underpowered compared to Playstation and Microsoft, but sales figures speak for themselves. Nintendo don't need to release bleeding edge tech.

Mr Hyde

The Playstation brand is still in a great place but Sony is fucking it up with this big GaaS push that, outside of Helldivers 2, is garnering a massive pushback and negative criticism. Their non existent communication with their fans, awful State of Plays and shit leadership with Hermen is going to tank the brand in the long run. Sony has been alleviating some of the headache by being an excellent publisher and put out great single player games like Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin, but if they continue on their chosen path Playstation is fucked.

Nintendo is the real MVP in this industry. They are carving out their own path with their hybrid console handheld solution. They believe in their game design philosophy and double down on what they think is best for their company. They don't chase trends. They don't care about high end technology. Instead of getting caught up with stupid console wars, they maintain good relationships with the other big players, resulting in Nintendo getting ports of the likes of Ori, Pentiment and Lego Horizon. Nintendo knows the industry inside out and it shows. If the whole industry burns down, Nintendo will be the only one left standing to pick up the pieces.

Wildebeest

Nintendo is due to announce new hardware, and new hardware for them is not a guaranteed slam dunk success, since they can't just give their players updated tech and call it a day.

yurinka

Sony is in the best position in all fronts.

Nintendo is perfectly fine in all positions, specially in first party game sales.

MS is seriously fucked in hardware, but I think it's something they planned many years ago when they planned to start to move their focus to a more multiplatform approach, plus putting more focus on a game rental subscription service than in selling games. I think MS will end dropping the Xbox hardware (minimum to move it to 3rd party manufacturers, something like Steam Machines), but after their acquisitions and after having pivoted even more to multiplatform and moving more big games away from being day one on the cheap GP, in the long term they will be better than ever as game division (even after having killed their console and having moved to a multiplatform store).

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
All of them.
MS - Xbox is dying
Nintendo - Transition to Switch 2
Sony - Playstation is the linchpin of Sony. And it has to make more money than it is, given that Xbox has left a big hole for them to fill.

Dane

No one. Microsoft software has sold well on other platforms and their profits are virtually all digital from third party sales on Xbox, everyone else who's not in the console business would beg to have 40-50 million install base. It's not like Sega selling 10 million consoles and losing hundred of millions of dollars every quarter not only because of it, but other failed ventures.

Last edited:
Sony, they've really fucked up putting almost all of their chips on this GAAS initiative. Not only that but they're not even making games in the genre that people really want (despite that marvel game getting a reasonable reception).

nial

Sony's next State of Play will have more announcements like Rise of the Ronin and Astro Bot instead of Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch's big blockbuster stuff, and I'm completely happy with that.

Codes 208

Sony no games? Idk, its a bit of a drought for their AAA line rn. Nintendo is…Nintendo, outside of them going after creator content, theyve been doing good.

But xbox definitely continues to be in the hot seat for questionable

Like shutting down so many of their devs that actually made good games (like hi fi rush) and who asked for a digital-only series x? And why the hell is it more expensive than what the normal series x has been most of this year?

Last edited:

Humdinger

Nintendo's fanbase is so broad and strong, they are hardly ever on the "hot seat." Their fanbase is okay with them being years behind technologically and cranking out their franchises. Even during their biggest stumbles like the Wii U, I don't remember people being angry at them. More like bemused. They have such a long history in the industry, and such a spirit of "fun" about them, that people give them a lot of leeway. At the same time, though, only 1% of GAF own only a Switch, which in my estimate means that the Switch is not good enough to stand alone - it always needs another platform or console beside it, and many times it is secondary to those other consoles/platforms.

To answer the question, I think both Microsoft and Sony are on the hotseat, for different reasons. Microsoft for a long history of failure to deliver great exclusives, combined with huge corporate buyouts and a history of lies or misdirection. Sony for decreasing output especially in the SP space, increasing woke crap, and prioritization of GaaS. I'm not happy with the direction of either MS or Sony.

Top Bottom