• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

Magnus

So the Blizzard teaser + my love for Blizzard due to SC/WoW + my growing curiousity for years = I now need to play Diablo II and find out what everyone's been going crazy about forever.

One thing I've never understood; what does a multiplayer game in Diablo consist of? Do you play the entirety of the single player campaign with some friends cooperatively, over several sessions? Do you all have to be on at the same time, or can some friends continue without the others who started the game with them? Or is the multiplayer content wholly different from the single? [/diablonoob]

Teknoman

Magnus said:
So the Blizzard teaser + my love for Blizzard due to SC/WoW + my growing curiousity for years = I now need to play Diablo II and find out what everyone's been going crazy about forever.

One thing I've never understood; what does a multiplayer game in Diablo consist of? Do you play the entirety of the single player campaign with some friends cooperatively, over several sessions? Do you all have to be on at the same time, or can some friends continue without the others who started the game with them? Or is the multiplayer content wholly different from the single? [/diablonoob]

Bolded is your answer. You might have to host the game though if some of the people already started quests that you cant get until you do something else though. That and every environment layout is randomized so you never EVER get the same layout twice or unique monster roaming around twice.

Make a character, non-ladder on US east and make sure you get the expansion to Diablo II. Its more or less the real final part of Diablo II than just some additional fluff.

That and its never short of OMG RUN! moments. 8 players max to a party, and enemies get stronger depending on the number of people.

hclflow

Magnus said:

I'll just add to what Tek said by saying it's truly seamless, hop-in-hop-out multiplayer. You have access to all of the game's content, and you can hop around and do whatever the hell you want, whenever you want.

Rur0ni said:
About to start up, if anyone's interested. I'll be playing a cleric.

I may join you shortly if you're still around.

Tendo

Is it safe to say to always just make a room called neogaf/neogaf?

Also, had alot of fun for the short time I played yesterday. I haven't played since I was a college freshman...back in 04' probably. Game is still amazing.

Rur0ni

I'm still playing at the moment. neogaf/neogaf

If it's ever full, make a neogaf1/neogaf game.

Currently level 7.

I_D

I'm about to get on.

USEAST NL

I reside in channel: op wpk
To get into it: /join op wpk (while in the lobby)

Account name: Immortal_Daemon
Gimme a whisper if you wanna play.
To do that: /w *Immortal_Daemon Saysomethinghere

Saya

Anyone up for a game? I'm a level 4 Barbarian atm, just did Den of Evil. I'll set up a game if there isn't already one up (US EAST - name: neogaf / pass: neogaf).

I just recently re-bought the games again so I've been out of the loop for a long time. :lol

hclflow

Saya said:
Anyone up for a game? I'm a level 4 Barbarian atm, just did Den of Evil. I'll set up a game if there isn't already one up (US EAST - name: neogaf / pass: neogaf).

I just recently re-bought the games again so I've been out of the loop for a long time. :lol

Yeah, best way to ensure people join up is to just make neogaf/neogaf. We had five people playing last night. Maybe by the weekend we can get some full games going!

BTW: Post your account info per the guidelines in the OP; this way we can friend you and know when you're online.

I may be playing off and on today, but I intend on playing a long session tonight before WWI. I'll probably start around 9-10 p.m. EDT, for those interested. I'll post again when I start.

I_D

NeoUltima said:
So....I haven't played for over two years...I'm assuming my character's have expired by now :lol ....... :(.

Just set the clock back on your computer. If the characters stayed in the network, you'll be able to get them back, provided the names haven't been taken.

notsol337

marked forever
Immortal_Daemon said:
Just set the clock back on your computer. If the characters stayed in the network, you'll be able to get them back, provided the names haven't been taken.

They're stored on Blizzard's servers. His characters are gone.

Twig

Banned
TONIGHT IT BEGINS.

I intend to actually play the game through from the beginning, listening to everything the NPCs say. I've gotten quite a few characters to near-max level before (never max), but always via the rushing help of a few friends -- followed by many many cow level runs.

I'm either going to be a necromancer or druid. I can't decide yet!

Rur0ni

TheOneGuy said:
TONIGHT IT BEGINS.

I intend to actually play the game through from the beginning, listening to everything the NPCs say. I've gotten quite a few characters to near-max level before (never max), but always via the rushing help of a few friends -- followed by many many cow level runs.

I'm either going to be a necromancer or druid. I can't decide yet!
I had some necromancer stuff, holding it... but then I sold because no one came to play. ;(

May still have a necro wand though.

I_D

notsol337 said:
They're stored on Blizzard's servers. His characters are gone.

The only way they'd be gone are either:

a) He waited so long that his account was closed.
b) Somebody else got the character names.

Anywho...

I'm still playing on USEAST NL.
If anybody wants to meet up, toss a message to Immortal_daemon

Twig

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:
The only way they'd be gone are either:

a) He waited so long that his account was closed.
b) Somebody else got the character names.
I was under the impression accounts were deleted after three months of inactivity.

I know that's why I gave up on the game forever ago.

I_D

TheOneGuy said:
I was under the impression accounts were deleted after three months of inactivity.

I know that's why I gave up on the game forever ago.

I'm not sure how long it takes for an account to be deactivated.

I know characters expire after three months.
To be more specific, though....
Only the name expires. This makes it possible for other people to have your character's name.

If nobody takes it, however, you can still revive the character, simply by setting back your clock date and then accessing the character from the character screen.

This is only if you can still access the account, though.

Twig

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:
I'm not sure how long it takes for an account to be deactivated.

I know characters expire after three months.
To be more specific, though....
Only the name expires. This makes it possible for other people to have your character's name.

If nobody takes it, however, you can still revive the character, simply by setting back your clock date and then accessing the character from the character screen.

This is only if you can still access the account, though.
Oho.

That's... strange. Wish they'd just made it permanent. ): But, I guess it was back when B.net would still fresh and new.

(INSTALLING NOW!!)

Twig

Banned
):

Anyone have a no CD crack for Diablo 2: LoD? Can't find one. I had having to put the CD in all the time!

Teknoman

TheOneGuy said:
):

Anyone have a no CD crack for Diablo 2: LoD? Can't find one. I had having to put the CD in all the time!

Install the latest patch, follow instructions = no CD needed.

From Planet Diablo:

Patch v1.12a Brings No-CD Play
Friday, June 20, 2008, 13:14 | TheAcolyte |
Coinciding with the announced Battle.net ladder reset, the new Blizzard game patch v1.12a for Diablo II: Lord of Destruction includes what StarCraft got a couple months ago: An official "No CD" patch.

However, take care if you play mods for earlier versions of the game, for they may no longer work as a result of upgrading.

http://www.fileplanet.com/61966/60000/fileinfo/Diablo-2:-Lord-of-Destruction-Patch-v1.12

I_D

Teknoman said:
Anyone made a game yet? Also dont forget to turn off lvl limit and turn max players to 8.

What server are you on?

I'm dying to play with some new people.

All of my D2 friends were taken by WoW. :(

hclflow

Teknoman said:
Hoping to get a full 8 this time around.

You gunna log on and host or what?!

If I host you can't spend the next three hours doing the second third of Act 1. :p

Immortal_Daemon said:
What server are you on?

I'm dying to play with some new people.

All of my D2 friends were taken by WoW. :(

We be playin' on USEast NL.

Teknoman

hclflow said:
You gunna log on and host or what?!

If I host you can't spend the next three hours doing the second third of Act 1. :p

:lol Alright im going on now.

neogaf
password: neogaf
8 people max
no lvl restrict

And everyone is non-ladder.

MMaRsu

Teknoman said:
:lol Alright im going on now.

neogaf
password: neogaf
8 people max
no lvl restrict

And everyone is non-ladder.

Thanks for the reccomendation, but I'll be playing SP for a while first to get acquainted with the game :p

Redd

I'm in if there still a spot open. I'll probably bring a friend. We're going to start from scratch right? I don't really want to play if everyone loads up on great gear right off the bat.

hclflow

Redd said:
I'm in if there still a spot open. I'll probably bring a friend. We're going to start from scratch right? I don't really want to play if everyone loads up on great gear right off the bat.

Bring a friend, sure. I'm 21, Tek is 12. I can help you with the first Act if you want. Or I can start another character. Doesn't matter.

Twig

Banned
Teknoman said:
Install the latest patch, follow instructions = no CD needed.

From Planet Diablo:

Patch v1.12a Brings No-CD Play
Friday, June 20, 2008, 13:14 | TheAcolyte |
Coinciding with the announced Battle.net ladder reset, the new Blizzard game patch v1.12a for Diablo II: Lord of Destruction includes what StarCraft got a couple months ago: An official "No CD" patch.

However, take care if you play mods for earlier versions of the game, for they may no longer work as a result of upgrading.

http://www.fileplanet.com/61966/60000/fileinfo/Diablo-2:-Lord-of-Destruction-Patch-v1.12
It is installed! But it still asks for the CD. D:

Well my younger cousin has been borrowing my disks for a while, but with the possible D3 announcement I couldn't fight the urge to play this any longer. I called him up and told him he could just keep the disks, and then I went out and picked up a new Diablo Battle Chest at EB for $30. I have to install and update the game, but when that is complete I'm come back to post my account/character stuff. :D

Installed and patched up! Here I come Tek. :D

GAF name / battle.net account / character name / class / realm

JakOfTheShadows / JakOfTheShadows / JakOfTheShadows / Druid / USEast

hclflow

Only two slots left open so better join quick!

NeoUltima said:
Stupid ass question but...is it possible to get the game to run in 4:3 ratio on a widescreen?

You have to force your monitor to 4:3.

hclflow

Chris Remo said:
Chris Remo / ChrisRemo / ChrisRemo / Sorc / USEast

Tried to whisper you in-game to tell you to start a game at neogaf1/neogaf and we'd join, but it tells me I can't whisper you!

hclflow said:
Tried to whisper you in-game to tell you to start a game at neogaf1/neogaf and we'd join, but it tells me I can't whisper you!
What's weird is I tried to join neogaf/neogaf and it said no such game, but then when I tried to make neogaf/neogaf, it said that game already exists. Still can't join. I'll try making neogaf1/neogaf

Momar

aka Ryder
Alright, I'm down for some games.

GAF name / battle.net account / character name / class / realm
ryder / Momar / MomariusPrime / Assassin / USEast

NH Apache

Banned
Was on the neogaf server with a brand new assassin.... When the power went out in the neighborhood :(. Stupid entergy, stupid new Orleans.
God doesn't want me to play diablo. *shakes fist

Top Bottom