• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Immortal_Daemon said:
Non-ladder is a lot more fun. The items actually have value on NL, so hording loot actually pays off.

Besides, the last ladder season lasted less than a year. All of that hard work for nothing has never made sense to me.
that is supposed to be the other way around, right? ladder means everyone is looking for new stuff, non-ladder everyone already has everything.

d[-_-]b

Banned
purg3 said:
I made one as well, for the time being. Sucks because someone gave me some decent stuff for my non ladder zon.
lol trying to lvl up fast, atleast get a decent lvl char right now, only lvl 4 :(.
guess we should make a seperate thread.

I_D

trh said:
that is supposed to be the other way around, right? ladder means everyone is looking for new stuff, non-ladder everyone already has everything.

Depends on how you look at it.

Since it's the beginning of ladder, everything is extremely expensive.
However, in a year things will have almost no value.

A "Spirit," for example, is a Ladder-only runeword and thus carries value on Non-Ladder. It's almost worthless on Ladder, though.
I think Ladder is unbalanced for this reason. You can make a Spirit easily, yet it's arguably the best shield in the game.

EDIT:
So can we make it a General Rule to reside in channel Neogaf when you're between games? That should help people coordinate gameplay.

Teknoman

Its just in this day and age, I would think anyone who just bought the game or owned it for awhile would have the expansion pack. Especially since it isnt some side story, it adds the true final act.

Seriously though, get the expansion, its well worth it, and is pretty much the definitive way to play D II.

eznark

Banned
Teknoman said:
Its just in this day and age, I would think anyone who just bought the game or owned it for awhile would have the expansion pack. Especially since it isnt some side story, it adds the true final act.

I got Diablo 2 free from Goozex and have barely played it, knowing full well I'm dumb for putting it off. Since I haven't played the original, the expansion seems superfluous right now.

Teknoman

eznark said:
I got Diablo 2 free from Goozex and have barely played it, knowing full well I'm dumb for putting it off. Since I haven't played the original, the expansion seems superfluous right now.

Well yeah I guess you have to see if you like the game first. But the expansion still makes you start from Act 1 as well (if you ever decide to get it). Just adds a tons of stuff, classes, and the ability to set it to high res (lol) 800x600 mode.

Momar

aka Ryder
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet, but D2 is now available for digital download on the blizzard store.

Perhaps you could add something to the title? It'll certainly attract more people =D

eznark

Banned
Teknoman said:
Well yeah I guess you have to see if you like the game first. But the expansion still makes you start from Act 1 as well (if you ever decide to get it). Just adds a tons of stuff, classes, and the ability to set it to high res (lol) 800x600 mode.

wait, so if I get the expansion I have to start from the beginning anyway? Shit, it's $20 on blizzard.com, might just do that. (Pretty sure I'll love it, just got through the den of evil and have also played some Titans Quest, enjoyed both).

I_D

eznark said:
wait, so if I get the expansion I have to start from the beginning anyway? Shit, it's $20 on blizzard.com, might just do that. (Pretty sure I'll love it, just got through the den of evil and have also played some Titans Quest, enjoyed both).

Well you can convert your characters into expansion mode if you want. It'll make you leave off from where you were, so you won't lose anything.

hclflow

Ryder said:
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread yet, but D2 is now available for digital download on the blizzard store.

Perhaps you could add something to the title? It'll certainly attract more people =D

Done!

OP has also been updated with everyone's info. Make sure you guys build up your friend lists so you can keep tabs on fellow GAFers to get games going! If you are unsure how to do this, check out the OP.

Regarding the ladder stuff, I was unaware they were still adding gear and runewords for the new ladder seasons. Plus I never expected this thread to take off like it has, though I am extremely pleased it has! So, I kind of expected to have to play with randoms to keep up my interest, and I don't like playing ladder games because in my experience I ran into a lot of asshats that take it all too seriously in a scramble to get as high a ranking as they can. This is the main reason I chose non-ladder.

Sorry to those of you for whom it is so off-putting, but as I stated in the OP, if you want to start ladder/hardcore characters, feel free and I'll make a separate player list in the OP for you guys.

Anyhow, I'm glad we've got a sizable player base now, and hopefully it keeps expanding! Have fun, and see you all online!

eznark

Banned
oh shit:

eznark/eznark/eznark/paladin/US East

I don't have the expansion yet, and I am currently at level 4 on my first ever play through.

Tendo

FYI for those without the expansion, its currently ten bucks at eb during their gamers day thing which ends Monday I think? Not sure, but my store has loads of LoD left.

I_D

Anybody wanna kill my hell ancients so I can do some Baal runs?
USEast NL

I'll repay such a person with a rush tomorrow. :D

hclflow

Important note: We are now playing LADDER, on USEast! A group of us have decided to make a switch to ladder. Because of the popularity of this thread, the negatives behind my reasoning for playing non-ladder have pretty much been eliminated. For this reason, we are making the switch to LADDER for the extra loot and runewords available. You characters WILL NOT BE DELETED when the season is over, they will simply convert to non-ladder.

For those who wish to remain non-ladder, you may do so, and I will keep the player lists segregated and updated daily with new player info.

If you are currently non-ladder and wish to convert to ladder, please repost your info to make my life easier. If you convert to ladder, I will remove your info from non-ladder unless you SPECIFICALLY request otherwise.

I apologize for the confusion and inconvenience.

Tendo

tendo / tendoboy101 / ibalin / useast / ladder

Was looking to remake ibalin anyway after i saw how useless strength was :(

sedaku

If I can dig up my old damn game then I will join you guys.

If not I will buy it online then join you guys.

Damn it, I feel like a relapse addict, Blizzard is evil.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is the expansion stuff unlocked from the beginning or can I wait to install it?
You can wait to install cause you can convert characters from classic to expansion but it's better to install it earlier so you put skill points properly for synergies.

Mr Jared

Downloading the expansion now so it may take awhile. I'm not sure what class I'll play though. I always played a Paladin so I don't want to do that ... but I also bought LOD and never played any of the new classes.

What do you guys think of Druids?

I_D

d[-_-]b said:
if you still need just post here.

Nope I'm fine.

I just need a better Pally torch now. I have 7 org sets, so hopefully something good will come of them.

hclflow

Ryder said:
What games are open now? It says neogaf/neogaf is ladder :(

Some of us switched over to ladder because apparently there's no reason not to. Roll another character and I'll help you catch up :eek:

NH Apache

Banned
The news says that the ladder ends on the 18th of July...

The problem is that you will have a ladder character for 20 days until it gets kicked back.

Whats the point?

Mr Jared

So here's an odd problem. My CD-Key works on US West but not US East. I registered all my stuff through the new Blizzard store so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Vish

Banned
Vish / ssolitare / Jargris / Sorc / Non-Ladder / US East
Vish / ssolitare / Jagara / Sorc / Ladder / US East

Saya

I'm gonna start over as well with a ladder character later. I'll be playing in an hour if anyone is up for it.

ZombieSupaStar / SyntaxJD / Kargyle / Nercomancer / USEast

Ladder

NH Apache said:
The news says that the ladder ends on the 18th of July...

The problem is that you will have a ladder character for 20 days until it gets kicked back.

Whats the point?

? News says June 10th they are resetting the ladder on June 17th (already past) where is this July 18th?

Ladders last a year

hclflow

Mr Jared said:
So here's an odd problem. My CD-Key works on US West but not US East. I registered all my stuff through the new Blizzard store so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Are you trying to select US East from the main menu or once you're already logged on battle.net? Try selecting US East as the Gateway from the main menu; it's the slim button right below battle.net.

If that isn't your issue, try this:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21138&rhtml=true

Saya

I started over as a ladder character as well for the better loot and other stuff.

Ladder:
Saya / Saya_Diablo / Hagedis / Barbarian / US East

Non-Ladder:
Saya / Saya_Diablo / Doder / Barbarian / US East

I_D

Ladder:
* Ability to create any runeword.
* Ladder-only drops (Gheed's fortune, Tyrael's might).
* Just started, so everybody is fresh.
* Unbalanced super-powerful runewords.

Non Ladder:
* Ability to use runewords carried over from ladder (they hold lots of value).
* Ability to use drops carried over from ladder (they hold lots of value).
* Been going for 8 years, so beginning items are cheap.
* Powerful runewords are valuable, so the game isn't unbalanced.

I don't really see a reason to play Ladder, aside from the fact that everybody else is starting fresh.

Top Bottom