• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Diablo II thread of I can't get enough of this damn game!

d[-_-]b

Banned
GAF name / battle.net account / character name / class / realm
d[-_-]b / Akitasha / AppleMage / Sorc / USEast
Akitasha / Barb / USEast
Aki_HammerTime / Pally / USEast

seems like all my expired characters can still be used lol... and they've been transferred to non-ladder.

Teknoman

Hey guys:

EriCKY said:
Notebook.jpg

Yep, the announcement is definitely StarCraft 3.

mileS

I'm going to go pick this game up today.

My computer couldn't handle it back in the day so I would only ever get to play it at my friends place and he would hardly ever let me play because he was so addicted.

I'm a complete noob so i'm not sure what class to pick. I guess i'll get the Diablo battle chest because its the cheapest way of getting the game new these days.

eznark

Banned
I have a feeling this thread is going to get more popular!

Anyway, I haven't played D2 online ever, hopefully going to try tonight.

Twig

Banned
Okay so I started a necromancer and played a bit.

TheOneGuy / Togglesworlh / Fruppy / Necromancer / USEast

I hate how I can't respec. I have no idea what to pick! I haven't played the game in forever! ): Happy to see they're looking at respecs for D3.

So... how should I spec? D: I'm sure at level four it's not that big of a deal, and I can figure out what I want, but later on, I'll be confused as hell. I'm never very good at the whole numbers game.

I think I just want to summon lots of pets!

Saya

TheOneGuy said:
Okay so I started a necromancer and played a bit.

TheOneGuy / Togglesworlh / Fruppy / Necromancer / USEast

I hate how I can't respec. I have no idea what to pick! I haven't played the game in forever! ): Happy to see they're looking at respecs for D3.

So... how should I spec? D: I'm sure at level four it's not that big of a deal, and I can figure out what I want, but later on, I'll be confused as hell. I'm never very good at the whole numbers game.

I think I just want to summon lots of pets!

check out diabloii.net for builds and specs. :D

Saya

I'm gonna play a bit in a couple minutes. If there isn't a game up yet, I'll create one.

US EAST
Name: neogaf
Pass: neogaf

I_D

hclflow said:
We be playin' on USEast NL.

Wahoo!

Add Immortal_Daemon to your friend list, and you'll see me soon enough.

To do that: /f a Immortal_daemon

I've got quite a few characters, so I can give you all the help you need.

Twig

Banned
Question!

Are all these games you people are creating on normal difficulty? As I said earlier, I want to play through the game for real, without getting rushed through.

Rur0ni

TheOneGuy said:
Question!

Are all these games you people are creating on normal difficulty? As I said earlier, I want to play through the game for real, without getting rushed through.
Yeah I don't think anyone has made it past act 2 yet.

hclflow

Rur0ni said:
Yeah I don't think anyone has made it past act 2 yet.

Yeah pretty much everyone I've seen playing so far (which has increased four-fold in the past couple days!) has been playing completely legit. A group of four made it through to Act 3 finally late last night, but that's it!

Tendo

whoever made a character and is hosting neogaf made a ladder character. Might want to reroll, we're all nonladder.

meanwhile i'm in neogaf1/neogaf.

Twig

Banned
Oops that was me. M'bad. Completely forgot all about the "ladder" stuff. D:

Good thing I hadn't played very far.

Yaweee

I'm trying to install LOD, and I have my CD case but not the CD... an image file won't work for some reason.

=(

Anybody with a similar problem? I don't want to have to wait until Thanksgiving so I can scour my parents' house for the damn disc.

traveler

Not Wario
Going to pick this up soon. For some reason, I can't see the builds on diabloii.net. The page loads but I don't see any text or links. Weird. I'm thinking of trying a druid, but I'm tired of playing pet classes in games- is there a good PvM spec for druid that doesn't involve summoning pets?

Twig

Banned
traveler said:
Going to pick this up soon. For some reason, I can't see the builds on diabloii.net. The page loads but I don't see any text or links. Weird. I'm thinking of trying a druid, but I'm tired of playing pet classes in games- is there a good PvM spec for druid that doesn't involve summoning pets?
Me and Tendo are both having the same problems with the build pages.

Druids also have lycanthropy. I remember that being a ton of fun back when I used to play D2 a lot. Dunno how useful they are, though. I've never been one to care much about usefulness. O:

Magnus

Fast tech help question -- this has to do with preventing my LCD monitor from scaling the image of an older PC game (obviously 4:3 format) to fit the 16:9 format of the monitor, which I don't want it to do. All help on the net directs me to my nVidia control panel (6600GT), where there should be an option to disable such scaling for low-res apps/images...but this option just plain doesn't exist in said control panel. Any advice? Thanks guys!

While in the ~4 hours I played last night with you guys I got my Druid to lv 25 and to Act 3 (completed the first quest there), and then went to sleep after the final flash page appeared. So, I missed the announcement of D3. I just saw it now though and it looks great. Well anyways I have a bit of free time here for the first time since last night so I'm going to hop on for a bit. I make a neogaf/neogaf game unless there already is one.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are there a lot of you guys playing with lower levels? I bought it a while ago but never installed it so I'll be just starting off if I play it.

I'm reinstalling right now. Starting from scratch since my characters are most likely expired-I'll be on shortly-I'll post my character name etc once I create it.

Going with a bowazon, definitely my favorite class but it's going to suck getting all of that gear again. A few years ago, I had a decked out character with windforce.

Teknoman

Magnus said:
Fast tech help question -- this has to do with preventing my LCD monitor from scaling the image of an older PC game (obviously 4:3 format) to fit the 16:9 format of the monitor, which I don't want it to do. All help on the net directs me to my nVidia control panel (6600GT), where there should be an option to disable such scaling for low-res apps/images...but this option just plain doesn't exist in said control panel. Any advice? Thanks guys!

I think they posted the remedy to that in the Diablo II Lttp topic.

purg3

slept with Malkin
OK, I'm on. Are there any games open, only have a lvl1 zon

purg3 / purg3 / purgeface / zon / us east (non ladder)

I'm going to start lvling so just /w me if you want to play

firex

traveler said:
werebear/werewolf, but werewolf requires a pretty specific weapon to be an ubers-killing machine (and anything that can kill ubers is a great pvm build). werebear is easy to build though, because you really only need to invest in werebear, lycanthropy, maul and then like a point into shockwave. Then you just let the heart of wolverine summon buff your damage/AR so you can wade into enemies even on nightmare/hell and survive easily.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but Blizzard now has digital download versions of Diablo2 + expansion on their online store. I think I'm going to pick it up in a few minutes, haven't played D2 in YEARS.

I_D

I'm just gonna copy the links I use in my sig on Diablo2.com:

Helpful Sites:
Arreat Summit
Item Database
PvPWest
IAS Calculator
Skill Planner
FRW Graph

And of course.... I gotta pimp myself out a bit....
My Guides:
Smiter Guide
Zealer Guide
Hammerdin Guide
The general reception was pretty good.
I've been playing since launch, so I'm more than willing to help people out with builds if they need advice. Just toss me a PM if I don't reply to you in this thread.

And, as always, I play on USEAST NL. I'm always looking for more people to play with.

EDIT:
And... I'm in channel Neogaf. I'm eating at the moment, so I won't answer you, but get in this channel to coordinate a game, if you want.

NH Apache

Banned
I pobably going jump on soon after I get some ood and a tasty Liquer.

Question: is there a command to play D2 in windowed mode?

Edit: Nevermind, I fail at google

Windowed game:
Start the game with the -w command line parameter to run it on a window on the desktop. To do this, right click the icon and select "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Next, where it states "Target:" go to the very end and add -w (outside the quotes). When you double click this specific icon, it will open in a 800 x 600 window size. When you play the game itself, it runs under the 640 x 480 size, unless you specify otherwise with the newer patches.

Edit2: Shit, Immortal is right, Vista sucks

Edit3:NM, Its works perfectly

I_D

NH Apache said:
I pobably going jump on soon after I get some ood and a tasty Liquer.

Question: is there a command to play D2 in windowed mode?

Add -w at the end of the shortcut.

Unless you're playing in Vista.... apparently that's a bit more difficult.

purg3

slept with Malkin
sorry to the guys I was playing with. My internet and phone service went down, I have to wait until tomorrow for Comcast to send a tech out to replace my modem. This fucking blows.

NH Apache

Banned
I'll be back in an hour to start fresh with an assassin

NH Apache / Xander5 / Jin-Tao / ASS / us east (non ladder)

firex

I have to ask, why aren't you guys playing ladder? I've always played ladder ever since they introduced it.

Teknoman

firex said:
I have to ask, why aren't you guys playing ladder? I've always played ladder ever since they introduced it.

Most of the people started non-ladder so we had to follow in order to play with em. Then it just snowballed from there.

Whats the point of the ladder anyway? Rankings?

I_D

Non-ladder is a lot more fun. The items actually have value on NL, so hording loot actually pays off.

Besides, the last ladder season lasted less than a year. All of that hard work for nothing has never made sense to me.

Top Bottom