• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Still in the middle of cleaning up my PC, but...

I PRE-PURCHASED FAR CRY 2 ON STEAM.

AWWWW YEAH, BITCHEZ.

Ahem. Can't wait, seriously.

chespace

So does anyone here know how I can benchmark Crysis?

Is there a command I can put into the console or what?

I bought a WD MyBook external HDD and right now it is completely empty. I formatted to NTFS in order to store larger files, but I just remembered I want to back up my PS3 data and it requires FAT32. Is there a way to partition external drives? In either case, what are all of my options?

Danj

prodystopian said:
I bought a WD MyBook external HDD and right now it is completely empty. I formatted to NTFS in order to store larger files, but I just remembered I want to back up my PS3 data and it requires FAT32. Is there a way to partition external drives? In either case, what are all of my options?

If you're on 2000, XP or Vista, right click My Computer (just Computer on Vista) and click Manage. This will bring up the Computer Management tool, and in here is Disk Management. You should be able to identify your MyBook from the top pane which has drive letter indicators. You can then scroll down to it in the bottom pane and make modifications (I would suggest Shrink Volume, then New Partition). You may have to defragment the drive first to make sure the data is all at the beginning.

chespace

MickeyKnox said:
Go into your EA/Crytek/Crysis/Bin64 directory there are 3 benchmarks there.

I bought the Steam version that does not come with a 64-bit folder. :'(

So anyway, something is definitely awry with my system.

1). Still getting the occasional hard lock-up last night, but strangely enough, I was able to reproduce it over and over again. Basically, I would go to this URL (http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=33369) and my PC would lock up. I can go to other threads on crymod.com no problems but that thread was locking up my system. :p

2). Still getting that weird intro movie implosion where I run Crysis and the intro movies are completely corrupted looking (artifacting everywhere, sometimes it's just a bunch of colorful dots). When I try to skip past the intro movies, the main menu also seems to get some corruption. I tried deleting those intro movie files as someone had suggested on another forum but now the game just black screen crashes upon boot. I also tried installing this config: http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=13790 but I'm not sure if it's because I removed the intro movies or what, but again, the game does not boot (although I can hear the hard drive rattle away).

3). That said, before I tried getting rid of the intro movies and installing that custom config up there, I was able to play the game for a bit. I tried running the Crysis benchmark tool that someone linked me in an earlier post but the app would launch the Assault level or the beginning of the game, and I would get the real-time info in the upper right corner, but it doesn't actually benchmark anything. It's not running on its own, and requires me to control it.

4). Looking at my framerates, it doesn't appear that I'm getting very good FPS at 1600x1200, all settings on very high, DX10. It usually hangs around 25fps, isolated areas go up to 35 or so, but heavy action drops it down obviously. Does that seem ridiculously low for my rig?

5). I tried looking at my PSU to see if it's causing issues with the GPU, thinking maybe it's because I'm using a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter on the 4870X2 and not the true 8-pin adapter of which there is only one on the Corsair 750w and I'm using it on the top-most 8-pin on the mobo. Could that be an issue for my GPU?

6). It could also be the crappy PCI wifi adapter that I picked up impulsively earlier this week when I bought my thermal paste. Again, this is the Linksys wifi adapter that I had to use the Ralink driver just to get it to work on 64bit Vista. Could my wifi adapter be causing issues?

7). I've also not tried playing any other games on my system so the problems with my 4870X2 could just be isolated to Crysis.

8). Forgot to mention that I'm using Catalyst 9.10 RC1. I also tried this one trick someone on another forum mentioned where they had Vista "verify" (I think) the ATI driver. Not sure what that does exactly.

Needless to say, this is causing me sleepless nights. :)

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:
6). It could also be the crappy PCI wifi adapter that I picked up impulsively earlier this week when I bought my thermal paste. Again, this is the Linksys wifi adapter that I had to use the Ralink driver just to get it to work on 64bit Vista. Could my wifi adapter be causing issues?

Yes, especially now that you can reproduce the crash by visiting that link.

4). Looking at my framerates, it doesn't appear that I'm getting very good FPS at 1600x1200, all settings on very high, DX10. It usually hangs around 25fps, isolated areas go up to 35 or so, but heavy action drops it down obviously. Does that seem ridiculously low for my rig

5). I tried looking at my PSU to see if it's causing issues with the GPU, thinking maybe it's because I'm using a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter on the 4870X2 and not the true 8-pin adapter of which there is only one on the Corsair 750w and I'm using it on the top-most 8-pin on the mobo. Could that be an issue for my GPU?

Hmmm...that's interesting. And, yes, your framerates do seem a little low for your system.

chespace said:
Is there a command I can put into the console or what?

r_displayinfo 1

That command will turn on the fps. Not a true benchmark, but it does show you what your framerate is during gameplay.

bee

chespace said:

thats right and isn't causing the issue, the 8 pin mobo power lead should only fit the mobo and not the graphics card. almost all psu's use the 6+2 pin for graphics as they can then obviously be used on cards with 2x6pin connectors also

8). Forgot to mention that I'm using Catalyst 9.10 RC1. I also tried this one trick someone on another forum mentioned where they had Vista "verify" (I think) the ATI driver. Not sure what that does exactly.

beta ati drivers :O are they whql signed? i guess thats what this "trick" was to get around it as vista 64 drivers need to be digitally signed to load after a reboot, unless you turn that shit off like i have

Chiggs

Gold Member
bee said:
thats right and isn't causing the issue, the 8 pin mobo power lead should only fit the mobo and not the graphics card. almost all psu's use the 6+2 pin for graphics as they can then obviously be used on cards with 2x6pin connectors also

My question is whether or not the adaptor he's using is junk. His framerates are low. But honestly, his priority should be determing the source of his crashes.

lachesis

Che, Sometimes faulty memory makes system unstable. I had 1 faulty memory stick, which caused to crash at certain point of certain tasking. Perhaps memtest might be in order - and if you do happen to have, or can borrow a known working vga card - you could try stick that in and see what happens. Personally it seems like (artifacting) might be something to do with your videocard...or perhaps RAM module itself.

If your computer ran fine with some other card - RMA your 4870x2, I'd say. If your system can't pass memtest for overnight - then RMA your memory module.

chespace

bee said:

beta ati drivers :O are they whql signed? i guess thats what this "trick" was to get around it as vista 64 drivers need to be digitally signed to load after a reboot, unless you turn that shit off like i have

Thanks, good to know (about the pins).

Yeah, I had them verified then had to reboot.

I'm going to go pick up a wireless USB adapter right now.

Just checked Belkin's site and most of their standard 802.11g adapters have drivers for 64bit Vista.

Sheesh, what a fucking headache.

Chiggs

Gold Member
lachesis said:
Personally it seems like (artifacting) might be something to do with your videocard...or perhaps RAM module itself.

Intro video corruption in Crysis is common, and isn't really indicative of a faulty gpu.

The Crysis issues sound straight up like an ATI driver problem. Looking at your frame rate, it's almost like the it's internal crossfire is not working properly, or something. Those numbers are more in line with what you'd expect from a single 4870 (provided you didn't forget to tell us it's at 8xaa/16xAF).

Crashing link - Have you installed Flash yet? Whatever the problem, I don't believe it's related to your Crysis issue.

Have you downloaded Warhead yet? Any issues with that?

bee

first of all try another game just so you can rule out crysis as the problem

can you link me to this verify trick?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You shouldn't disable Catalyst A.I with a crossfire setup. It'll only use one half of the card. And I wouldn't recommend having Vsync on personally.
Crysis is one of those games where normal settings aren't going to get you the best results.

Zzoram

Kadey said:
You shouldn't disable Catalyst A.I with a crossfire setup. It'll only use one half of the card. And I wouldn't recommend having Vsync on personally.
Crysis is one of those games where normal settings aren't going to get you the best results.

I did not know this. Wow, that might be his performance problem.

SRG01

Hey guys, I'm planning to refurb one of my older system for my parents and I need some recommendations. I need the following:

- a slimline mATX case with a decent PSU
- low profile heatsink for an older P4 chip
- PATA HDDs (do they even sell those anymore??)

Thanks in advance :D

Chiggs

Gold Member
Kadey said:

Wow. I didn't know that, either. On the last page, I recommended that he turn it off to see if that was the problem. :( Sorry, Che and thanks for the info, Kadey.

chespace

Kadey said:

Fucking hell. Good to know.

I just picked up this:

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7050&aid=5381&scid=0

Can't wait to get back to troubleshooting tonight.

I hate it but I also love the challenge.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah. This sentence would sum it up the best.

"Catalyst AI is basically, in other words, the crossfire on/off button, as it is the only method of disabling CF for X2 cards."

When I'm about to play a game, I put it on advanced, otherwise I just leave it on standard.

Zzoram

Kadey said:

"Catalyst AI is basically, in other words, the crossfire on/off button, as it is the only method of disabling CF for X2 cards."

When I'm about to play a game, I put it on advanced, otherwise I just leave it on standard.

I hope Che has seen that by now and has turned his Catalyst AI back on.

chespace

Kadey said:

!!! I am speechless...

lachesis

Chiggs said:
Intro video corruption in Crysis is common, and isn't really indicative of a faulty gpu.

I see... Didn't know that. I just remembered screen artifacting = your gpu is pretty much a goner from some other trouble shooting threads that I've read online. Nevertheless, I think a proper testing might be in order for him, but if the problem is just isoloated on Crysis alone, then it must be the game and driver like others said.

Chiggs

Gold Member
lachesis said:
I see... Didn't know that. I just remembered screen artifacting = your gpu is pretty much a goner from some other trouble shooting threads that I've read online. Nevertheless, I think a proper testing might be in order for him, but if the problem is just isoloated on Crysis alone, then it must be the game and driver like others said.

Oh, you're definitely right about the artifact thing, but in this case, the issue seems to be quite common with the game.

Question for you and the rest of the people in this thread: How does a mobo's ram check compare to a utility like Memtest?

lachesis

Chiggs said:
Oh, you're definitely right about the artifact thing, but in this case, the issue seems to be quite common with the game.

Question for you and the rest of the people in this thread: How does a mobo's ram check compare to a utility like Memtest?

Not too sure of Mobo's ram check and how through it is, so I wouldn't know. Being a newb builder, I just do what others do. Run Memtest 86 overnight, and cross my fingers with no red errors! LOL.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:

Memtest is the best way to detect memory instability. Che should probably also run Prime95 64bit to check CPU stability.

The first thing I did when I built my PC was test CPU and RAM stability. I didn't even really use my PC for 3 days since I had it running torture tests for 24 hours.

chespace

Where do I get these programs?

I used the one that comes with Vista and it took like a half hour and I passed the test.

lachesis

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

for memtest. download iso file, and make a cd. Then adjust your bios so that you can boot from the cd - it will start automatically. Leave for about overnight, and see if there's any error.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

This is supposedly prime95 torture test for your cpu and ram. If your system can withstand this for 24 hours, they say your system's stable. This will push your cpu to limits.

While doing so, use cpu-z, coretemp / realtemp software to check your settings and voltages, core temperature, etc. :)

chespace

lachesis said:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

for memtest. download iso file, and make a cd. Then adjust your bios so that you can boot from the cd - it will start automatically. Leave for about overnight, and see if there's any error.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

This is supposedly prime95 torture test for your cpu and ram. If your system can withstand this for 24 hours, they say your system's stable. This will push your cpu to limits.

While doing so, use cpu-z, coretemp / realtemp software to check your settings and voltages, core temperature, etc. :)

Torture test. :lol

So you guys have all done this and withstanding this for 24 hrs. is the norm?

bee

chespace said:

no, hardcore overclockers run it that long i've never found it necessary

2hrs max of memtest and 3hrs max of orthos, the idiots on these hardcore sites claim your overclock isn't stable unless its error free for 12hrs of orthos, i say bullshit

my e6600@3.6 has been running that clock for over 2 years and i only ever ran orthos for 2 hours on that

lachesis

chespace said:

depends on who you ask - but I didn't run that long either. ;) I ran memtest overnight (just went to sleep) for about 8+ hours and did prime 95 the same. I was also toggling with oc at that time - and was keeping my eyes on the temperature level.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kadey said:

What the fuck? Link please. I have been running... arghhh fuckign hell, I really want a source now please.
Chiggs said:

I don't know, but how about the Vista mem test? I haven't forced it's use before, but that was the first thing that detected my defective ram when I built my system last time.
chespace said:

Yes, my system passes this test at 2.8GHz, so I do not OC over that.
bee said:
no, hardcore overclockers run it that long i've never found it necessary

2hrs max of memtest and 3hrs max of orthos, the idiots on these hardcore sites claim your overclock isn't stable unless its error free for 12hrs of orthos, i say bullshit

my e6600@3.6 has been running that clock for over 2 years and i only ever ran orthos for 2 hours on that
I am not a hardcore overclocker, but what is so hard in leaving your system running an app like this overnight? Even during the day, I can do so many other things that it is no problem if my PC is "taken".

chespace

godhandiscen said:
I don't know, but how about the Vista mem test? I haven't forced it's use before, but that was the first thing that detected my defective ram when I built my system last time.

Yes, my system passes this test at 2.8GHz, so I do not OC over that.

I am not a hardcore overclocker, but what is so hard in leaving your system running an app like this overnight. Even during the day.

Nothing, except I am just scared my system is going to fry itself. :lol

Also, I ran that Vista mem test and I passed. So far so good then.

godhandiscen

chespace said:

I am pretty sure it will hang and stop working then. That is what happens to me with the AMD stability check which is the one I use.

Also, Catalyst 8.10 is fucking awesome. The improvement in temperatures and framerates is unbelievable.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How could anyone who used ATI crossfire not know about Catalyst A.I?

Here is the best article I can find on how Crossfire works.
http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=31

Go to drivers and crossfire mode selection.

In there is second half of a sentence. "then turning off CATALYST A.I. will revert the system to its single GPU rendering mode."

Just google catalyst A.I crossfire and many sites will pop up saying the same thing; that to enable CF, you have to C.A.I as well.

I know Nvidia has SLI enabling in their control panel, When I went CF, I didn't find one in CCC so I decided to do some research myself.

chespace

Crazy to think that the hour of Crysis I played last night was all on my 4870X2 without CF.

Sure, the framerate ticker said it wasn't that great, but I was running DX10 with everything on very high at the second highest resolution and it was very playable. I had a great time.

Can't wait to try it tonight with CF turned on. :p

Also, I hope my new network adapter does the damn trick.

chespace said:

What are you down to with Crysis seemingly solved? Just the crashing crymod link, or were you having other crashes too?

chespace

BCD2 said:
What are you down to with Crysis seemingly solved? Just the crashing crymod link, or were you having other crashes too?

Well, the crymod link lock-up. I will see if the new wifi adapter fixes that.

And then the Catalyst AI for CF will hopefully fix framerate hit.

Still have no clue on the intro video corruption (and occasional crash upon bootup) for Crysis.

I will run memtest and CPU test as well over the next couple nights before I go to bed.

Also need to download Stalker or something to see if it's only Crysis that's giving me trouble.

chespace said:
Well, the crymod link lock-up. I will see if the new wifi adapter fixes that.

And then the Catalyst AI for CF will hopefully fix framerate hit.

Still have no clue on the intro video corruption (and occasional crash upon bootup) for Crysis.

I will run memtest and CPU test as well over the next couple nights before I go to bed.

Also need to download Stalker or something to see if it's only Crysis that's giving me trouble.
Good, good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the additional Crysis problems resolved by enabling catalyst A.I. I don't see anything at this point indicating memory issues. You can, and maybe should run memtest just to be sure, but I don't think you'll have any issues.

That should leave you in the clear, and ready to finally start having some fun.

godhandiscen

Kadey said:
How could anyone who used ATI crossfire not know about Catalyst A.I?

Here is the best article I can find on how Crossfire works.
http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=31

Go to drivers and crossfire mode selection.

In there is second half of a sentence. "then turning off CATALYST A.I. will revert the system to its single GPU rendering mode."

Just google catalyst A.I crossfire and many sites will pop up saying the same thing; that to enable CF, you have to C.A.I as well.

I know Nvidia has SLI enabling in their control panel, When I went CF, I didn't find one in CCC so I decided to do some research myself.
Yes, but a X2 card doesn't run in crossfire mode. According to Spyre, a mod in the AMD Game forums there is no way to dissable the use of both cards. At least that is what I had understood with my old 3870x2. I am too lazy to run benchmarks with to see the difference, but I guess I will read the article your posted.

edit: Spyre is a mod with direct contact to the devs, and I remembering him asking before giving me that answer a while ago. I am not sure now.

edit2: That article makes no mention of X2 cards.

Check this thread, keeping it on Standard is the best according to Spyre, I can't find the other thread on which it says that forcing Advanced ussually does weird things.
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=94487&messageid=881644

chespace

godhandiscen said:
Yes, but a X2 card doesn't run in crossfire mode. According to Spyre, a mod in the AMD Game forums there is no way to dissable the use of both cards. At least that is what I had understood with my old 3870x2. I am too lazy to run benchmarks with to see the difference, but I guess I will read the article your posted.

edit: Spyre is a mod with direct contact to the devs, and I remembering him asking before giving me that answer a while ago. I am not sure now.

I've done a little research myself and pretty much every single person says you need Cat AI enabled to use both cores on the 4870X2.

For instance, this is short, but very direct:

http://www.rage3d.com/Board/showthread.php?t=33930994

So have you had Cat AI turned off this whole time you've owned a 4870X2? :lol Is that why you were bitching about bottlenecked performance?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
godhandiscen said:

BS. It's common knowledge since...let's see, forever. You can even go to AMD's own forum and see threads about it. Anyone who ever used Crossfire whether with actual two GPUs or an X2 card should be acknowledged about it. You mean to tell me you've been following ATI all this time and you didn't even know this?

Top Bottom