• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
chespace said:
I've done a little research myself and pretty much every single person says you need Cat AI enabled to use both cores on the 4870X2.

For instance, this is short, but very direct:

http://www.rage3d.com/Board/showthread.php?t=33930994

So have you had Cat AI turned off this whole time you've owned a 4870X2? :lol Is that why you were bitching about bottlenecked performance?
Yeah, that is true, I just looked up the response I got from Spyre, but according to him I need to keep it on Standard, not Advanced.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=94487&messageid=881644

That was my initial confusion. I have never needed to set it to advanced.
chespace said:
I've done a little research myself and pretty much every single person says you need Cat AI enabled to use both cores on the 4870X2.

For instance, this is short, but very direct:

http://www.rage3d.com/Board/showthread.php?t=33930994

So have you had Cat AI turned off this whole time you've owned a 4870X2? :lol Is that why you were bitching about bottlenecked performance?
No, I had it in Standard, Advanced will ussually decrease performance afaik.

edit: In that thread you linked, they also argue about wheter Advanced will decrease performance. It is a coin toss. It works in some games and it doesn't in others. For Crysis leave it in Standard.

edit: lol, I see a couple of friends in that thread, and they are also using spyre as a refference.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Should I also be checking mobo temperatures?

What's this about northbridge and southbridge temperatures?

bee

chespace said:

northbridge temp = mobo temp, don't bother about southbridge

chespace

bee said:
northbridge temp = mobo temp, don't bother about southbridge

And what's an acceptable northbridge temp?

Jsnake: I haven't tried with Cat AI enable yet.

Will do so when I get home.

chespace said:

Nah dude, you're fine. You're not doing anything crazy. Checking the cpu temp is good just to be sure you installed it correctly. Beyond that, temps for anything are pretty much irrelevant as long as you're running stock.

Overclocking is obviously a different story.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So my new box i pulled the trigger on is similar to Che's.

8gb DDR2 800 ram
Powercolor 4870 1gb ram
corsair 750watt psu
Intel core 2 quad yorkfield 2.83ghz
arctic cooler freezer 7
antec 1200 (chiggs was pretty convincing with his opinions on this case.)
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45
and two 500gb Maxtor Satas i had laying around.
run of the mill cd/dvd RW.
Two 24" monitors. :D

Going to be using it for gaming, and playing around with virtual servers and TVversity and lots of file storage.

chespace

captive said:
So my new box i pulled the trigger on is similar to Che's.

8gb DDR2 800 ram
Powercolor 4870 1gb ram
corsair 750watt psu
Intel core 2 quad yorkfield 2.83ghz
arctic cooler freezer 7
antec 1200 (chiggs was pretty convincing with his opinions on this case.)
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45
and two 500gb Maxtor Satas i had laying around.
run of the mill cd/dvd RW.
Two 24" monitors. :D

Going to be using it for gaming, and playing around with virtual servers and TVversity and lots of file storage.

Nice! Nearly identical. :D

So I swapped out the wifi adapter and am now using the Belkin USB with Vista 64 drivers.

Works like a charm and I get no more lockups (so far, anyway) from being on the Internet and doing file transfers.

Crysis has pretty much stopped working altogether and I think it's because I screwed around with the files in a bad way last night. I decided to delete local content and redownload/install off Steam.

Can't wait to try it with Cat. A.I. turned on. :p

Also going to take this time while Crysis is downloading to ziptie some cables and tape up the ones behind the mobo. :)

Zzoram

chespace said:
Nice! Nearly identical. :D

So I swapped out the wifi adapter and am now using the Belkin USB with Vista 64 drivers.

Works like a charm and I get no more lockups (so far, anyway) from being on the Internet and doing file transfers.

Crysis has pretty much stopped working altogether and I think it's because I screwed around with the files in a bad way last night. I decided to delete local content and redownload/install off Steam.

Can't wait to try it with Cat. A.I. turned on. :p

Also going to take this time while Crysis is downloading to ziptie some cables and tape up the ones behind the mobo. :)

I think when you verify integrity of game files, it will fix that without requiring a full redownload, it'll just grab the files that are missing/damaged and put them in the right place.

chespace

Zzoram said:
I think when you verify integrity of game files, it will fix that without requiring a full redownload, it'll just grab the files that are missing/damaged and put them in the right place.

Tried that, but it didn't work for me.

godhandiscen

Kadey said:
BS. It's common knowledge since...let's see, forever. You can even go to AMD's own forum and see threads about it. Anyone who ever used Crossfire whether with actual two GPUs or an X2 card should be acknowledged about it. You mean to tell me you've been following ATI all this time and you didn't even know this?
You edited your post, and for some reason I quoted Che twice. You are right, the X2 cards do run in Crossfire mode and it can be disabled with Catalyst AI turned off, but still, Advanced isn't the best setting, that is what I was trying to get at.

edit: You edited 4 hours after, wtf?

chespace

godhandiscen said:
You edited your post, and for some reason I quoted Che twice. You are right, the X2 cards do run in Crossfire mode and it can be disabled with Catalyst AI turned off, but still, Advanced isn't the best setting, that is what I was trying to get at.

And yet nobody knows what the difference is between Advanced and Standard for Cat AI?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
godhandiscen said:

No you didn't. It was clear from your first reaction that you didn't believe me or something. Getting all worked up asking for links. Then you went ahead and made that ignorant comment. Now you are changing the subject saying I meant advanced is blah, blah, blah when that is totally different from what I'm saying. Yeah, I get a kick out of saying stuff to you. You make it so easy. :lol

chespace said:
And yet nobody knows what the difference is between Advanced and Standard for Cat AI?

Certain software/programs it helps improve things. The gains; well that's up for debate.

godhandiscen

Kadey said:
No you didn't. It was clear from your first reaction that you didn't believe me or something. Getting all worked up asking for links. Then you went ahead and made that ignorant comment. Now you are changing the subject saying I meant advanced is blah, blah, blah when that is totally different from what I'm saying. Yeah, I get a kick out of saying stuff to you. You make it so easy. :lol
I will not discuss the fact that you know more about hardware than me, but when you recommended Advance I wanted to know why, and so I asked for links. Yes, I didn't believe that an X2 card runs into Crossfire mode because supposedly the technology was different, and I didn't know that Catalyst AI could dissable the second card. You did introduced me to those 2 facts, however my reaction was because of this:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=94487&messageid=881644

So I was really confused. Also, it's obvious I've never decided to turn it off since that was spyre's recomendation.

godhandiscen

chespace said:
Wow, Spyre is a man of many words there.

"keep it on standard"

:lol
I know, he is a jerk when it comes to his time, and no one knows him well (he doesn't post around like EvilLore for example, he just answer questions, and does some damage control). However, he is the only damn mod there besides ruby who is an account shared by people who actually work for ATI.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
godhandiscen said:
I will not discuss the fact that you know more about hardware than me, but when you recommended Advance I wanted to know why, and so I asked for links. Yes, I didn't believe that an X2 card runs into Crossfire mode because supposedly the technology was different, and I didn't know that Catalyst AI could dissable the second card. You did introduced me to those 2 facts, however my reaction was because of this:

So I was really confused. Also, it's obvious I've never decided to turn it off since that was spyre's recomendation.

It's not even about that. I'm just surprised that someone who is probably the most ATI eccentric guy on here and has already owned a previous CF card didn't know that fact and got surprised himself when someone who's only been interested in PC hardware in the last year or so knew. I don't know half as many technical stuff as many guys in here but I do go out of my way to find out what I need to know.

godhandiscen

Kadey said:
It's not even about that. I'm just surprised that someone who is probably the most ATI eccentric guy on here and has already owned a previous CF card didn't know that fact and got surprised himself when someone who's only been interested in PC hardware in the last year or so knew. I don't know half as many technical stuff as many guys in here but I do go out of my way to find out what I need to know.
Playing with Catalyst AI is something I only tried once, and as I described in my post in the AMD Game forums, I never found any difference. I never felt the need to go out of my way to figure out anything else about it. Also, yes, I like ATI but it is mainly because of AMD since I have a couple friends there.

Ravenn17

I just downloaded CPU-Z and Core temp for the first time, and they tell me my CPU multiplier is at 6x, but my BIOS tells me it's at 9x. What the f?

Zzoram

Ravenn17 said:
I just downloaded CPU-Z and Core temp for the first time, and they tell me my CPU multiplier is at 6x, but my BIOS tells me it's at 9x. What the f?

The cores downclock when idle to save power.

chespace

Very interesting, but I'm afraid the news still isn't good.

So it appears the instability with my OS went away when I replaced the wifi adapter.

However, I was unable to get Catalyst A.I. turned on and working with ANY game (Crysis, Trackmania) on either standard or advanced. Meaning, I can't use my 2nd core.

In Vista 64, I can turn off Cat AI and play Trackmania. However, when I try running Crysis, I get a black screen on boot and I have to ctrl-alt-del to the task manager to kill the process. This is without Cat AI, mind you. If I turn on Cat AI in Vista 64 and try Trackmania, I get a blue screen saying the graphics driver is in an infinite loop or something to that effect, and then it resets. Turning on Cat AI and running Crysis doesn't give me a blue screen but I get the same black screen on boot, same as without Cat AI.

In Vista 32, I can turn off Cat AI and play Crysis but obviously the game is slower since I'm only using 1 GPU core. But it's still not all that stable. Crashed once on me. If I turn on Cat AI and run Crysis, I get a BSoD. Same with Trackmania. If I turn on Cat AI in Vista 32, I get a BSoD. So basically, I can't play any games with my 2nd core. :p

Any ideas why?? I've tried this with 8.9 and 8.10 as well.

Stumped. :(

I see there is a backup tool in windows xp. Should I be able to just use this to back up to an external drive and not worry?

If not, can someone recommend a free back up tool? I can't seem to find a good free back up tool.

Lince

Banned
guys don't know if this has been asked before but I wonder is there a way to cap games to 30 fps? (as in counter strike with the console command fps_max)

dork

Banned
I need a new pc :(. But I don't feel like building one again. I just want to buy it in one easy step. Or is it still that much cheaper to build?

FoeHammer

I just got my new PC and it is very sweet.

9650 Quad Core Processor
6 GB Ram
768 MB GeForce 9600

I know the graphics card isn't the best on the market, but it's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it so far.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
My PC is having a strange OS related problem. I'm running WinXP SP3, and for some reason on every third or fourth startup it forgets my desktop and sound settings. I prefer to use the gray Windows Classic theme, and turn all sounds off, but it reverts back to the blue desktop theme and turns all the sounds back on.

zoku88

FoeHammer said:
I just got my new PC and it is very sweet.

9650 Quad Core Processor
6 GB Ram
768 MB GeForce 9600

I know the graphics card isn't the best on the market, but it's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it so far.
So like, why didn't you downgrade the processor and get a better gfx card? jw

FoeHammer

zoku88 said:
So like, why didn't you downgrade the processor and get a better gfx card? jw

Well, I ordered my PC through HP and those were the best options available at the time of purchase. I'm not a hardware guru, but I haven't had trouble running any games so far.

If I was to upgrade my graphics card, what would you recommend?

FoeHammer said:
Well, I ordered my PC through HP and those were the best options available at the time of purchase. I'm not a hardware guru, but I haven't had trouble running any games so far.

If I was to upgrade my graphics card, what would you recommend?

What size is your monitor? If you aren't going over 1680 resolution, I would recommend not buying any new card for a while. I have an 8800GTS 512 and the only thing that I can't absolutely max at 1680 is Crysis.

If you have money to burn, though, how much are you willing to spend? That will determine what card you want (as well as what res you play at).

dork said:
I need a new pc :(. But I don't feel like building one again. I just want to buy it in one easy step. Or is it still that much cheaper to build?
I just picked up that Crysis PC that was on sale at Tiger Direct for 700. It seems to be really stout.

johnsmith said:
Can anybody tell me how this looks?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ation.do?destination=review&config_id=1595221

With a -$400 coupon it'd be $949.99

Not good imo. Afaik the 9800GT is just a relabeled 8800GT, so pretty dated (about on par with the HD3870), the CPU is a bit dated too, considering that there are numerous Intel CPUs available in 45nm.
Also that website never ever mentions the brand names. RAM, Mainboard (not mentioned at all!), DVD drive, hard disk etc.

I'm not from the US, but I'd guess that you can configure a decent system @newegg or a similar store for ~1000 Dollars with a HD4870 and atleast one of the Intel 8xxx CPUs + 4 or 8GB of RAM.

FoeHammer

prodystopian said:
What size is your monitor? If you aren't going over 1680 resolution, I would recommend not buying any new card for a while. I have an 8800GTS 512 and the only thing that I can't absolutely max at 1680 is Crysis.

If you have money to burn, though, how much are you willing to spend? That will determine what card you want (as well as what res you play at).

Samsung 22 inch. The resolution is set at 1680 and I haven't had any problems yet.

Zzoram

Frankfurter said:
Not good imo. Afaik the 9800GT is just a relabeled 8800GT, so pretty dated (about on par with the HD3870), the CPU is a bit dated too, considering that there are numerous Intel CPUs available in 45nm.
Also that website never ever mentions the brand names. RAM, Mainboard (not mentioned at all!), DVD drive, hard disk etc.

I'm not from the US, but I'd guess that you can configure a decent system @newegg or a similar store for ~1000 Dollars with a HD4870 and atleast one of the Intel 8xxx CPUs + 4 or 8GB of RAM.

It's not that bad for a prebuilt though.

kakashi08

Case: tuniq 3
ASUS P5N-T Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i
Power: Antec EA650 650W
GPU: 1GB HD4870
CPU: E8400
Memory: 4gb 2x2gb ddr2 800
Harddrive: 500gb
DVD-rom: LG dvd+- burner

-Will this take care of me at "least" a year?
-This is all i need to build my own gaming rig? anything else?
-power supply is good right?

-What you think?

Zzoram

kakashi08 said:
Case: tuniq 3
ASUS P5N-T Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i
Power: Antec EA650 650W
GPU: 1GB HD4870
CPU: E8400
Memory: 4gb 2x2gb ddr2 800
Harddrive: 500gb
DVD-rom: LG dvd+- burner

-Will this take care of me at "least" a year?
-This is all i need to build my own gaming rig? anything else?
-power supply is good right?

-What you think?

Ya you'll probably be good for 2 years, maybe 3 if you don't mind hanging around Medium for that year.

Zzoram

MusterMark said:
Hey, guys, can anyone check this out?

Case
HDD
Graphics Card
PSU
Memory (x4)
Mother Board
Processor

Total Price: $787

I think everything checks out. Will everything work/fit? Any recommendations.

Here's hoping I can get more that 20 FPS in WoW and 10 in WAR.

Seems fine but I'd recommend the HD4850 512mb over the 9800GTX. It's a bit faster and in this case, same price but has mail-in-rebate to make it cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

godhandiscen

Catalyst is telling me there is zero activity on my cards... maybe I should try the final release of 8.10.

bee said:
thats why i'd never recommend anyone to go sli or crossfire, its pure ballache

try 8.10 final i guess, grab them here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HENC92XK
I do not think is that bad. I am using dual monitors, running games at incredible speeds and never had a problem. I am pretty sure Che will sort out his problems, and then it will be a sweet ride. The experience he is gaining is something that will stay with him for future builds.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I just picked up a Samsung T260HD. Sweet mother of Jesus, this thing is almost too big. Stunning quality, too.

Are there any sound cards that have both on the fly dolby digital encoding and dolby headphone? I've tried searching for one but I haven't come up with anything.

Top Bottom