• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

careful

chespace said:
Do most games even support 64 bit Vista outside of Crysis?
Apparently, the Steam version of Crysis is 32-bit not 64-bit and Warhead is only 32-bit (both retail and Steam), but I'm not 100% on this.

JSnake

prodystopian said:
The 8º difference between your two cores seems a bit much to me. As for the temps, I wouldn't worry as long as those are at full load after a long period of time (Prime95 after twenty minutes or a similar stress test). I'd be worried when you start pushing close to 65ºC.

Those were the temps after about eight minutes of OCCT.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
careful said:
Apparently, the Steam version of Crysis is 32-bit not 64-bit and Warhead is only 32-bit (both retail and Steam), but I'm not 100% on this.

WTF? Say it ain't so.

chespace

Chiggs said:
I would probably recommend ditching that card and just getting a USB Wi-Fi adapter. I know people generally shriek at the thought of their internet connection running on USB, but mine has been pretty decent.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=WUA-2340

Full Vista Support (comes with a wired stand, too).

So this is a good wifi adapter and supports vista 64?

If so, I'm going to get it now.

Hmm, reviewers on Newegg are kind of taking a dump in its mouth:

Cons: Haven't gotten more than 54 Mbps from it. Isn't reliable, I would only recommend it for a secondary computer or casual browsing where you aren't going to spend much time on. This device overheats within a few hours under most conditions and has to be cooled down and reset the connection. It's not a matter of if it will over heat, but when...

Other Thoughts: If you are going on once a day to check your e-mail, go for it. If you need something that will give you a continuous, reliable and fast connection, look elsewhere.

Cons: Gets really hot and drops the connection during sustained data transfer such as when transferring large files (>500Mb). I would have to unplug and replug the device in to reconnect to the network. I was able to repeat this problem every time I tried to transfer a large file. Using Vista SP1 and the latest drivers from dlink website.

Cons: Okay, I get a blue screen of dead with an agux64.sys or agux86.sys error which are the dlink drivers. Called dlink, they couldn't tell me anything. Doesn't last for more than a day, when I wake up in the morning, I am usually greeted with a blue screen. At first, connecting was pretty difficult but eventually computer would connect on its own. Dlink support sucks.

etc etc.

Any other options? :p

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:
So this is a good wifi adapter and supports vista 64?

If so, I'm going to get it now.

Hmm, reviewers on Newegg are kind of taking a dump in its mouth:

Cons: Haven't gotten more than 54 Mbps from it. Isn't reliable, I would only recommend it for a secondary computer or casual browsing where you aren't going to spend much time on. This device overheats within a few hours under most conditions and has to be cooled down and reset the connection. It's not a matter of if it will over heat, but when...

Other Thoughts: If you are going on once a day to check your e-mail, go for it. If you need something that will give you a continuous, reliable and fast connection, look elsewhere.

Cons: Gets really hot and drops the connection during sustained data transfer such as when transferring large files (>500Mb). I would have to unplug and replug the device in to reconnect to the network. I was able to repeat this problem every time I tried to transfer a large file. Using Vista SP1 and the latest drivers from dlink website.

Cons: Okay, I get a blue screen of dead with an agux64.sys or agux86.sys error which are the dlink drivers. Called dlink, they couldn't tell me anything. Doesn't last for more than a day, when I wake up in the morning, I am usually greeted with a blue screen. At first, connecting was pretty difficult but eventually computer would connect on its own. Dlink support sucks.

etc etc.

Any other options? :p

Wow, I can't say I've had any of those issues. Not once. The only issue that I've encountered is that it takes the device a few seconds to load when Windows starts.

chespace

Chiggs said:
Wow, I can't say I've had any of those issues. Not once. The only issue that I've encountered is that it takes the device a few seconds to load when Windows starts.

Actually just saw ManP's post. I'm going to try that driver tonight. If that doesn't take with Vista 64, then I'll return the Linksys and get something else.

In any case, tonight is going to be all Crysis all the time. (or at least hours and hours of tweaking and benchmarking :p)

chespace said:
Actually just saw ManP's post. I'm going to try that driver tonight. If that doesn't take with Vista 64, then I'll return the Linksys and get something else.

In any case, tonight is going to be all Crysis all the time. (or at least hours and hours of tweaking and benchmarking :p)
I linked you to some directions on the previous page, but these are better. Two different options;

Ralink drivers, and directions

Homebrewed (?) Linksys specific drivers, and directions

I bet either one would get you to the promise land.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jamesfrom818 said:
Yeah I think I'm just going to buy a 360 HD DVD drive. Should be pretty cheap.
I had a corrupted Hal.dll and Windows wouldn't boot. My cheap dvd drive then decided it would be a good time to crap out too. My Xbox hd dvd drive allowed me to boot off a cd and pretty much saved the day.

chespace

Here's a question and pardon if it's retarded because I've never done dual-OS boots.

So given that my Vista 64 was gimped last night due to a lack of online connectivity, I used my Vista 32 to download Steam and Crysis.

I installed Steam to the HDD that my Vista 32 is on (and I assume Crysis downloaded to the same drive).

Will I need to re-install Steam and Crysis once I get my Vista 64 online? Or can I just boot Steam from where I've installed it and run Crysis? I can physicall get to all the same files in either OS -- but the registeries won't show that Steam is installed, so I can't run it, correct?

If I have to install Steam and Crysis again, that would suck, but at least I would be less confused.

Anyway, the end goal is that I will only use 64 bit Vista unless I absolutely need to boot to 32 bit for Ableton Live or other programs that require it.

Or should I just nuke the 32 bit OS partition?

Zzoram

chespace said:
Here's a question and pardon if it's retarded because I've never done dual-OS boots.

So given that my Vista 64 was gimped last night due to a lack of online connectivity, I used my Vista 32 to download Steam and Crysis.

I installed Steam to the HDD that my Vista 32 is on (and I assume Crysis downloaded to the same drive).

Will I need to re-install Steam and Crysis once I get my Vista 64 online? Or can I just boot Steam from where I've installed it and run Crysis? I can physicall get to all the same files in either OS -- but the registeries won't show that Steam is installed, so I can't run it, correct?

If I have to install Steam and Crysis again, that would suck, but at least I would be less confused.

Anyway, the end goal is that I will only use 64 bit Vista unless I absolutely need to boot to 32 bit for Ableton Live or other programs that require it.

Ya, you have to install again on the 64-bit Vista. If you have more than 1 OS, they can't share programs, you have to install to each OS specifically for them to work. Once you get Vista 64 online, just default to that and leave the 32 around for when you need it.

chespace

Zzoram said:
Ya, you have to install again on the 64-bit Vista. If you have more than 1 OS, they can't share programs, you have to install to each OS specifically for them to work. Once you get Vista 64 online, just default to that and leave the 32 around for when you need it.

:'(

Thanks Zz.

bee

Zzoram said:

that's not true at all

chespace said:

I'm not 100% sure on whatever copy protection is on Crysis that could prevent you from doing this, but you should be able to just copy your entire steam folder from one OS to another. You'll have to delete the clientregistry.blob in the Steam folder, and you'll be good to go after that. You won't have to redownload it again.

chespace

BCD2 said:
I'm not 100% sure on whatever copy protection is on Crysis that could prevent you from doing this, but you should be able to just copy your entire steam folder from one OS to another. You'll have to delete the clientregistry.blob in the Steam folder, and you'll be good to go after that. You won't have to redownload it again.

But if I can see all the files from one OS to another, do I even need to move it to the drive where my Vista 64 OS is sitting? I understand the need to delete the clientregistry.blob, but do I just go into the Steam folder and delete it, then just run Steam? or what?

bee

chespace said:
But if I can see all the files from one OS to another, do I even need to move it to the drive where my Vista 64 OS is sitting? I understand the need to delete the clientregistry.blob, but do I just go into the Steam folder and delete it, then just run Steam? or what?

all you need to do is re input your password, no moving or double install, crysis with securom may well be different but thats all you need to do with half life 2 etc

chespace said:
I'm not entirely sure if you have to move it, but since you'll want it on your 64bit Vista drive, you might as well. You can try leaving it though. I won't hurt anything.

Yep - Move it, delete blob, start Steam, and sign in. Wait to delete it off the 32bit one first until you know everything's kosher (obviously).

lachesis

So, I've tried to soft-mod 8800 gts 512mb (g92) into a quadro... and only to find out that RivaTuner doesn't allow g92 chipset's nvstrap modification. The tap that I'm supposed to get doesn't even open up. :( Which means, no Quadro FX 3700 for g92 chipsets, such as 8800 GT and my 8800 GTS 512mb.... sigh.

chespace

Alright, so decide to just try Crysis on my 32 bit Vista before I install a bunch of drivers and stuff just to see how it runs.

Well, I get through the menus, and then after the loading screen, I get a black screen and the only way to get out of it is to do the three-fingered salute and then quit app via task manager.

WTF, help?

Zzoram

chespace said:
Alright, so decide to just try Crysis on my 32 bit Vista before I install a bunch of drivers and stuff just to see how it runs.

Well, I get through the menus, and then after the loading screen, I get a black screen and the only way to get out of it is to do the three-fingered salute and then quit app via task manager.

WTF, help?

Did you actually wait a good amount of time, like a minute just incase something was going on? Some games are just weird on some configurations, especially the first time you run them after installing. For me, when Warhead finishes loading a new level, the screen goes black for about 10 seconds before it comes back with the "Press Any Key" prompt. Also, the first time I ran Warhead through Steam it wasn't working until I restarted my computer.

chespace

No, second time I tried it, I got an error message in windows that said the display driver has stopped responding. WTF? :lol

It's not like I'm OC'ing my GPU or anything... hmm.

Just checked Catalyst center and I'm idle at 69C :p

That doesn't sound good.

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:

WTF, help?

This is sort of a common issue, but here's a few things to get started:

Make sure you have the absolute latest Vista updates
Latest video and sound drivers
Chipset drivers

Zzoram

chespace said:
No, second time I tried it, I got an error message in windows that said the display driver has stopped responding. WTF? :lol

It's not like I'm OC'ing my GPU or anything... hmm.

Hmm, interesting. First try restarting the computer, that randomly solves a ton of problems.

And yes, make sure you ran Windows Update, and have all the updates.

chespace

Now it's gone back to 66C idle...

Also, is it normal for me to hear some high pitch noises coming from my CPU when I load Crysis? I think it's my CPU, but I'm not sure. Does a CPU make noise when it's under load??

chespace

Chiggs said:
Um, those temps are fine for a 4870X2. Don't worry. What Catalyst version are you using?

Using 8.9... but now downloading 9.10 beta just for shits and giggles.

Zzoram

chespace said:

Also, is it normal for me to hear some high pitch noises coming from my CPU when I load Crysis? I think it's my CPU, but I'm not sure. Does a CPU make noise when it's under load??

The CPU shouldn't make any funny noises, but your Hard Drive might.

larvi

chespace said:

Could be noise from a coil on the motherboard, graphics card or power supply. People reported the same thing during the testing of the Folding at Home graphics clients when the GPUs were under heavy load:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3212

chespace

Alright, yeah, something is definitely up with the GPU I think.

I actually got Crysis to run just now, but...

1). It was at a slightly lower resolution (not the 1680x1050 or whatever)

2). The real disturbing part is that my intro videos, like the Crytek logo video and the EA logo video, etc. are completely fucked up and jittery. Like flickery and barely there. Once I get to the green menus of the game, you can still see it flicker a little bit.

3). I tried maxing out the resolution just now and had the same black screen problem.

What do you think #2 could be?

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:
Alright, yeah, something is definitely up with the GPU I think.

I actually got Crysis to run just now, but...

1). It was at a slightly lower resolution (not the 1680x1050 or whatever)

2). The real disturbing part is that my intro videos, like the Crytek logo video and the EA logo video, etc. are completely fucked up and jittery. Like flickery and barely there. Once I get to the green menus of the game, you can still see it flicker a little bit.

3). I tried maxing out the resolution just now and had the same black screen problem.

What do you think #2 could be?

Install another game and give it a go. I don't think it's the GPU.

chespace

How would I install another game? Delete and re-download?

It doesn't exactly look like that guy's problem, but it's similar.

I was able to play the game a bit just now just on the intro beach... went back and tweaked some graphical settings (like turned off 8xAA) just to see how it'd run and in the middle of walking around, the game locked up.

Is it the GPU?

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:

It doesn't exactly look like that guy's problem, but it's similar.

I was able to play the game a bit just now just on the intro beach... went back and tweaked some graphical settings (like turned off 8xAA) just to see how it'd run and in the middle of walking around, the game locked up.

Is it the GPU?

I really don't think it's the GPU as it is a driver or driver setting or conflict. When I said install another game, I meant try another title altogether.

Also, do you have all the motherboard drivers installed? Sound drivers? Is Vista up-to-date? You could also try disabling the Catalyst A.I. in the CCC.

Zzoram

chespace said:

He didn't mean reinstall, he meant install a new game. You can also verify the integrity of your game files through the Steam interface if you're worried about file corruption.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
He didn't mean reinstall, he meant install a new game. You can also verify the integrity of your game files through the Steam interface if you're worried about file corruption.

Yeah, definitely try this.

chespace

So when I run the Catalyst 9.10 installer and it goes through its various installs, does it also install the latest DRIVERS to device manager/vista or do I have to do that manually?

I went and turned up the CCC manual fan control and set the fan to 100, but the little graphic only tells me the fan is at 27%? What's up with that?

EDIT: Oh shit, I guess it didn't apply. I just tried it and now it's super loud, but I can see the temp. dropping in real time. :lol

Also, is the best way to update the various drivers for my mobo through the Asus installer that comes with the DVD?

Not sure if it was the new Catalyst install or the reset of my system, but everything is hunky dory now with Crysis. My god, I got caught up and played about 35 mins worth just now. Just saw a dead nanosuit guy. Wow, this game rocks. :D

Okay, time to go update drivers and make the switch to Vista 64.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
For all x64 users: if one or more of your favorite programs don't seem to work under Vista 64 bit, it might not be the fault of the program but instead MS's new, more convoluted driver application process that takes a lot of time and money in the name of "security". Well, when I was download PeerGuardian2 and discovered it wouldn't work, I went a-googling and stumbled upon a program called ReadyDriver Plus, a program that automatically boots your computer so that the new driver certifications imposed under Vista 64 are disabled. Booting takes a bit longer, but it sure beats the hell out of manually selecting it from the boot screen everytime I restart.

chespace said:
So when I run the Catalyst 9.10 installer and it goes through its various installs, does it also install the latest DRIVERS to device manager/vista or do I have to do that manually?

I went and turned up the CCC manual fan control and set the fan to 100, but the little graphic only tells me the fan is at 27%? What's up with that?

EDIT: Oh shit, I guess it didn't apply. I just tried it and now it's super loud, but I can see the temp. dropping in real time. :lol

Also, is the best way to update the various drivers for my mobo through the Asus installer that comes with the DVD?

Not sure if it was the new Catalyst install or the reset of my system, but everything is hunky dory now with Crysis. My god, I got caught up and played about 35 mins worth just now. Just saw a dead nanosuit guy. Wow, this game rocks. :D

Okay, time to go update drivers and make the switch to Vista 64.
Good shit, the first level is really just a small taste of the game, shit kicks into full gear right at the start of the 2nd.

Don't forget to be creative with comboing your suit powers, also if you're trying to make long range shots switching to strength mode will help steady your aim just remember to switch back to armor if you start getting hit, speed running into a KPA will knock him on his ass, shooting from stealth mode will kill all your energy so line up your (head)shot switch from stealth-strength-fire-stealth.

Cheeto

MickeyKnox said:
CABLE MANAGEMENT! CABLE MANAGEMENT! CABLE MANAGEMENT! CABLE MANAGEMENT! CABLE MANAGEMENT! CABLE MANAGEMENT! CABLE MANAGEMENT! CABLE MANAGEMENT!

AAAAAAAAAAAGGHAGFHWAGF'IHA;KLGBA;KJBGQ!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I'm ocd about that shit:

Grats on your new box though.
I think you'd have a heart attack if you saw mine. :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:

Does it automatically.

Go to their awful website and download the latest there.

Glad to hear it. :D

Top Bottom