• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Pachinko

That's awesome news che'
So as a first time system builder how would you rate the experience overall? if you could go back in time would you have just had the thing assembled for you? I contemplated being a first time builder on my next pc but there's so much that can go wrong.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Zzoram said:
I'm undecided right now about if my HD4870 512mb was the right choice, or if I should've sprung for the HD4870x2. Crysis Warhead performs pretty well, The Witcher runs great, but I'm reserving my judgement until I see how Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 run. If those run great, I'm happy. If they are less than ideal, then I'll regret not buying the HD4870x2.

you can guarantee they'll both run much better than crysis, given the power of the consoles that they're having to run on too.

empire is the only game on the horizon that looks to be really pushing things in the future. crysis was a freak wave that caused a high water mark long before the tide has caught up.

chespace said:
HOLY FUCKING CRAP

IT WORKS

MY 4870X2 WORKS

I guess I did burn out the 2nd core when I plugged the EATX12V into the first card. :lol

I only tested it with Stalker but it was liquid smooth with everything maxed out at the highest res.

Now to test it with Crysis. I'm running 8.10 final, btw.

YESSSSSSSS
Wooooooooooooooot!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Wow, I'm really loving my PC now.

Turned Crysis up to max resolution (I use 1600x1200 because the one above that isn't widescreen for some reason) and used DX10 Cuban's custom cfg level 5 and ran some benchmarks.

GPU benchmark = 29.65 fps

CPU benchmark = 25.95 fps

Haven't tried CPU2. I'm too ecstatic. :D

These results are much better than what I was getting with just 1 core. Before I was getting about 25 fps for both at a lower res 1280x1024 with Cuban's level 5.

Very pleased with this card now. I have my Crysis machine.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
chespace said:

Turned Crysis up to max resolution (I use 1600x1200 because the one above that isn't widescreen for some reason) and used DX10 Cuban's custom cfg level 5 and ran some benchmarks.

These results are much better than what I was getting with just 1 core. Before I was getting about 25 fps for both at a lower res 1280x1024 with Cuban's level 5.

Nice. Maybe I should try one of those configs after all.

Zzoram

chespace said:

Isn't your monitor 1920x1200? 1600x1200 isn't widescreen, but 1920x1200 is.

godhandiscen

I have a question, is CC Lvl 5 more intensive or less intensive than everything on Very High?

Waikis

godhandiscen said:
I have a question, is CC Lvl 5 more intensive or less intensive than everything on Very High?

It is less intensive than Very High and yet it maintains the same image quality(even better actually) .

Zzoram

40% faster on what video card?

Copy+Paste the contents of your config please.

I beat Warhead on Normal using Enthusiast (Mainstream motion blur and shadows). I'm on level 2 or 3 of my Delta run.

godhandiscen

Hazaro said:
40% faster for me (lvl 5 vs Enthusiast)
Wow, I'll get on that during the weekend. At this point I think I have lost track of what I really wanted which was to experience Crysis in a decent way, and so far I think I am too concerned with benchmarks. This will be the last time I waste time into optimizing Crysis.
Trackmania ROOOLZ!

edit: as Zzoram said, I would like to know exactly what you are doing Hazaro. I trust your results, but I won't be able to experiment until the weekend.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
Congrats, Che. Glad you got everything worked out. And just think of all the experience you gained.

Nobody builds a PC without a single problem along the way, whether it's hardware or software. It's what makes the final gaming experience so sweet, you had to overcome adversity to get to it :lol

godhandiscen

Zzoram said:
Nobody builds a PC without a single problem along the way, whether it's hardware or software. It's what makes the final gaming experience so sweet, you had to overcome adversity to get to it :lol
WORD.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
40% faster on what video card?

Copy+Paste the contents of your config please.

It was just Lvl 5 versus Enthusiast. The level 5 was posted back before, I have no idea what I was using but it wasn't level 5 as I liked gamer shaders overall look better. :lol

godhandiscen said:
Wow, I'll get on that during the weekend. At this point I think I have lost track of what I really wanted which was to experience Crysis in a decent way, and so far I think I am too concerned with benchmarks. This will be the last time I waste time into optimizing Crysis.
Trackmania ROOOLZ!

:D

LVL 5
CCClvl5.jpg

ALL ENTHUSIEST
allenthu.jpg

ALL GAMER
allgamer.jpg

This was with my 8800GT, 1680x1050

Zzoram

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Please post the config (open in notepad, copy+paste) because I don't want to use an installer.

I don't have the lvl 5, but this is what I use(d). I am done with Crysis for now.

My unoptimized crap pile :lol

http://freetexthost.com/5h13tdnkp4

Zzoram said:
It's not that much cheaper, and the 4850 has more juice. You never regret getting the more powerful stuff. Upgraditis always makes you regret buying the cheaper stuff.

Same for Crysis performance right? :lol

I just sold mt 8800GT + S1 Cooler for $90 + shipping. Cost me $298 less than a year ago.

You can buy used 8800GT for as little as $70 shipped now. Crazy market.

*Also Warhead totally shines in small spaces :D 8800GT as well.

Crysis2008-09-2615-55-30-10Large.jpg

SRG01

Zzoram said:
It's not that much cheaper, and the 4850 has more juice. You never regret getting the more powerful stuff. Upgraditis always makes you regret buying the cheaper stuff.

4850 ($160, $140 after $20mir)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

4870 ($250, $230 after $20mir)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102797

I'm not playing Crysis. :lol

Hazaro, that's what I mean. I can pick up a used 8800GT with an aftermarket cooler for way cheaper than a 4850.

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
I don't have the lvl 5, but this is what I use(d). I am done with Crysis for now.

My unoptimized crap pile :lol

http://freetexthost.com/5h13tdnkp4

Thanks.

Same for Crysis performance right? :lol

I just sold mt 8800GT + S1 Cooler for $90 + shipping. Cost me $298 less than a year ago.

You can buy used 8800GT for as little as $70 shipped now. Crazy market.

On High:
17129.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Why is your HUD tinted blue?

Changed it from default orange color.

I went with my 8800GT because I overnighted it from Canada on launch morning (When the USD was worth more) for $266, when that was a good deal :lol

Point being, although the 3870 was there/coming, nVidia has not done me wrong, overclocking is simple, and I have never had an issue with driver problems. ATi this year has matched everything nVidia has put out and caused prices to go down which is absolutely fantastic.

Reply is because I didn't want this to devolve into another card debate.

godhandiscen said:
Will this config work for both Crysis and Warhead?

That is for Warhead, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for Crysis.

chespace

Just got done playing Crysis for a couple hours. Might stop for the evening.

Wow, what an insane F'ing game. I'm at the dual-tank part and playing through on Delta. Love the challenge. I've also installed Assassin's AI mod (comes with Cuban's CCC installer) and this is probably the most fun I've had in a shooter since... shit, I don't know, Halo on legendary? Half-Life vs. the marines? Excellent stuff.

Anyway, my OS resolution is 1900x1200 but Crysis doesn't offer that as a resolution.

The game isn't without slowdown, even with Catalyst A.I. enabled. For some reason, there are areas that consistently drop to like 18-20 fps for no apparent reason. Like look at a wall in a certain angle or something. I guess DX10 is a total hog.

I'm going to try it now by uninstalling Cuban's mod and seeing what kind of results I get.

And yes Zzoram, you nailed it -- I had to overcome to get the keys to the kingdom. :D

Now I gotta send this bunk card back to the e-tailer...

Waikis

chespace said:

Wow, what an insane F'ing game. I'm at the dual-tank part and playing through on Delta. Love the challenge. I've also installed Assassin's AI mod (comes with Cuban's CCC installer) and this is probably the most fun I've had in a shooter since... shit, I don't know, Halo on legendary? Half-Life vs. the marines? Excellent stuff.

Anyway, my OS resolution is 1900x1200 but Crysis doesn't offer that as a resolution.

The game isn't without slowdown, even with Catalyst A.I. enabled. For some reason, there are areas that consistently drop to like 18-20 fps for no apparent reason. Like look at a wall in a certain angle or something. I guess DX10 is a total hog.

I'm going to try it now by uninstalling Cuban's mod and seeing what kind of results I get.

And yes Zzoram, you nailed it -- I had to overcome to get the keys to the kingdom. :D

Huh? they do offer 1900x1200. What is the maximum resolution that Crysis offers in your pc?

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Pachinko said:
That's awesome news che'
So as a first time system builder how would you rate the experience overall? if you could go back in time would you have just had the thing assembled for you? I contemplated being a first time builder on my next pc but there's so much that can go wrong.

Oh come on. It's not that hard.

godhandiscen

Pachinko said:
That's awesome news che'
Che is proof that this thread is actually worth something. Give it a go, save yourself a couple hundred dollars. If that is worth your time of course.

chespace said:

Yeah, something's amiss with those Crysis resolutions. None of the ones you've mentioned are actually widescreen (1600x1200, 1280x1024). The game probably just pulls the resolution options from the os, so head to the CCC to find what the issue is. I don't know about Cuban's mod, or any other cfg stuff you have going on, but alternately the problem could be there too.

Whatever the case, Crysis doesn't think you have a widescreen monitor.

Your desktop resolution should be 1920x1200 with a refresh rate of 60Hz (max Hz for that resolution).

bee

chespace said:

just force it by adding this to launch options in steam, +r_width 1920 +r_height 1200

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Adent said:
Oh come on. It's not that hard.
You're right it isnt that hard. But if a first time builder accidentally messes something up, or something doesnt work right with the computer and they have to start trouble shooting stuff it can get hairy.

Anyway, my computer is up and running. It was late last night so I stopped before doing windows updates and all the drivers stuff. So i installed the LAN driver then logmein and running updates and catalyst 8.10 remotely from work. :p

chespace

Yeah, the Crysis resolution thing was my bad. I didn't see that there was a scroll bar to the right and yup now I'm playing at 1900 x 1200. :lol Framerate is still decent too. This 4870x2 is a beast.

If Crysis was a freak fluke blip on the landscape of PC gaming, then my rig should be good to go for at least the next 2 years, but we'll see how Rage puts a hurt on my PC.

Overall, I'd say the experience of building and troubleshooting my PC (not my first build, but definitely my first build in modern times) was worth it. Not having access to quick test access like swapping out hardware to troubleshoot was basically what amplified the frustration. I learned a ton from this thread and individuals (BCD2, Zzoram, Chiggs, Hazaro, etc.) and now I feel like I have a pretty thorough understanding of what's inside my machine and if I should upgrade or troubleshoot in the future, I'll be much better equipped with that knowledge.

If anyone on GAF wants to build their own PC, I say hands-down, DO IT. You get way more for your money's worth (all told, my lower-high-end rig came out to be around $2k and that's with all ammenities like keyboard, mouse, 24" 1900x1200 monitor, wifi adapter, etc. Plus, there's enough knowledge in this thread, and on the internetz that any question you could have is addressed somewhere out there.

Now I need to learn more about RAM and CPU overclocking. Not saying I want to do it yet, but I just want to figure out WTF is going on there.

chespace said:
Yeah, the Crysis resolution thing was my bad. I didn't see that there was a scroll bar to the right and yup now I'm playing at 1900 x 1200. :lol Framerate is still decent too. This 4870x2 is a beast.

If Crysis was a freak fluke blip on the landscape of PC gaming, then my rig should be good to go for at least the next 2 years, but we'll see how Rage puts a hurt on my PC.

Overall, I'd say the experience of building and troubleshooting my PC (not my first build, but definitely my first build in modern times) was worth it. Not having access to quick test access like swapping out hardware to troubleshoot was basically what amplified the frustration. I learned a ton from this thread and individuals (BCD2, Zzoram, Chiggs, Hazaro, etc.) and now I feel like I have a pretty thorough understanding of what's inside my machine and if I should upgrade or troubleshoot in the future, I'll be much better equipped with that knowledge.

If anyone on GAF wants to build their own PC, I say hands-down, DO IT. You get way more for your money's worth (all told, my lower-high-end rig came out to be around $2k and that's with all ammenities like keyboard, mouse, 24" 1900x1200 monitor, wifi adapter, etc. Plus, there's enough knowledge in this thread, and on the internetz that any question you could have is addressed somewhere out there.

Now I need to learn more about RAM and CPU overclocking. Not saying I want to do it yet, but I just want to figure out WTF is going on there.
I'm glad to hear you have no regrets despite your build being anything, but smooth sailing. You know a hell of a lot more about computers than you did two weeks. There's definitely something to be said for that.

OC - Look at doing something modest (like 3.4), and happily live with it. I consider that just getting your money's worth. My advice would be not to get caught up in shooting for the stars though.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone know any good guides for cable management? Or general tips, especially with the Antec 900. Was fitting my 4870 and I realised just how much of a mess it is inside.

godhandiscen

Chiggs said:
I bet your machine will do just fine with Rage.
With an extremely demanding OpenGL game? I will need to see it to believe it. Rage is an Id game, and they have historically played better on Nvidia hardware. I am ready to concede that the disparity in optimizations for Nvidia and ATI in Rage could be even higher than in Crysis. Prove me wrong Carmack.

Zzoram

Ikuu said:
Anyone know any good guides for cable management? Or general tips, especially with the Antec 900. Was fitting my 4870 and I realised just how much of a mess it is inside.

I have a similar issue, the 4870 is so big, and my 8pin mobo cord is too short to wrap around the back so it goes right over the middle of the mobo, over my 4870, to plug in with barely any slack.

Chiggs

Gold Member
godhandiscen said:
With an extremely demanding OpenGL game? I will need to see it to believe it. Rage is an Id game, and they have historically played better on Nvidia hardware. I am ready to concede that the disparity in optimizations for Nvidia and ATI in Rage could be even higher than in Crysis. Prove me wrong Carmack.

Isn't Rage D3D?

Edit: Saw that it's still OpenGL, but...

John Carmack said:
The PC version is still OpenGL, but it is possible that could change before release. The actual API code is not very large, and the vertex / fragment code can be easily translated between cg/hlsl/glsl as necessary. I am going to at least consider OpenGL 3.0 as a target, if Nvidia, ATI, and Intel all have decent support. There really won't be any performance difference between GL 2.0 / GL 3.0 / D3D, so the api decision will be based on secondary factors, of which inertia is one.

Top Bottom