• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

EGM92 said:
I had a 9800GX2 that I've had to RMA 3 times since it's having issues with my PSU, XFX offered to give me another brand new card or a credit for the card. I took the credit. Now I'm looking for a lesser gaming card.

I can't decide between these 2:

Geforce 9800GT OC+ 119$ w/ MIR
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33062&promoid=1084

or

Diamond Radeon HD 4850 199$ w/ Promotional code.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33502&promoid=1084

Suggestions?

That's a horrible price for the 4850. It's in the $150 range right now. I got mine at bestbuy for $150+$10 GC almost 3 weeks ago. Just taking a quick look at newegg and I found..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129112&Tpk=visiontek%204850

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
There's some sort of technology that is being worked on that allows an ATI and an Nvidia card to be used in unison. The name evades me, but the work shown thus far has been extremely promising.

I imagine Nvidia and AMD will do everything to destroy it, and I think they might win.

Edit: Found it, called the Hydra Engine.

http://www.insidetech.com/news/2888-hydra-technology-may-render-crossfire-sli-obsolete

Yup, amazing stuff, the Hydra 100 was being demo'd somewhere recently.

If this chip can do what it says it can do, whoa boy are PC gamers up for a real treat in the next few years. (Not sure about after that, because companies might wise up) :lol

*edit
Checked the article, lined out most of the stuff, plus the shots :D

Gully State said:
That's a horrible price for the 4850. It's in the $150 range right now. I got mine at bestbuy for $150+$10 GC almost 3 weeks ago. Just taking a quick look at newegg and I found..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129112&Tpk=visiontek%204850

Canadian buddy.

Has anyone ever bought a custom built from ecollegepc.com? I'm in market of buying a new pc, and am pretty much a novice on building one myself. So I made one on this site, seemed pretty cheap for what I was getting. Even though I'm pretty in the dark on what motherboard I should get, so I just picked whatever.

Here are the specs.

3.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 6MB Cache FSB 1333
Cooler Master RR-CCH-L9U1-GP Hyper TX2 Quiet CPU Fan/Heatsink
ASUS P5N-D (nForce 750i SLI , 2xPCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 1394, 1333FSB, Wifi)
4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300
20X Samsung SH-S202N Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD±RW DVD-RAM w/Nero
512MB ATI Radeon HD4870 GDDR5 PCI Express DVI/Tvout
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1
22in Black 1680x1050 LCD Flat Panel Monitor 5ms Widescreen DVI
CoolerMaster Black Centurion T05 (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 2 Fans, Front Audio/USB/1394
550watt Cooler Master eXtreme Power RS-550-PCAR
Onboard LAN included
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1
Stereo Speakers (black)
Black PS2 Internet Keyboard
Logitech Black USB Optical Scroll Mouse
Standard 1 year parts and labor

I think the price was around $1800

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
For 1800, I would just get a 4870X2 and skip the 4870 512MB Crossfire.

It's faster and takes up less space. Prob not that much more in terms of cost either.

botkiller

I just came across this, which essentially says the 4650 outperforms the X1900XT. Is that true?

I ask because I was going to give my old X1900XT to someone so they could do some mild gaming, which it's more than able to do. But if I can grab a 4650 for $70, I might just go down that road.

Zzoram

botkiller said:
I just came across this, which essentially says the 4650 outperforms the X1900XT. Is that true?

I ask because I was going to give my old X1900XT to someone so they could do some mild gaming, which it's more than able to do. But if I can grab a 4650 for $70, I might just go down that road.

The 4670 is like $10 more than the 4650 and it's 25% faster. Yes it's faster than the X1900XT.

larvi

botkiller said:

You can get a 4670 for close to $70 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121274

Or you can get a 3870 which would be better than either of the 46xx cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131095

Waikis

dearapollo said:
Has anyone ever bought a custom built from ecollegepc.com? I'm in market of buying a new pc, and am pretty much a novice on building one myself. So I made one on this site, seemed pretty cheap for what I was getting. Even though I'm pretty in the dark on what motherboard I should get, so I just picked whatever.

Here are the specs.

ASUS P5N-D (nForce 750i SLI , 2xPCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 4xSATA2, 1394, 1333FSB, Wifi)
CoolerMaster Black Centurion T05 (5 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 2 Fans, Front Audio/USB/1394
Onboard LAN included
Stereo Speakers (black)

Your 550w PSU might have trouble running 4870 CF.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
chespace said:
At this point, I would just format and start fresh.

Do mobo updates first (all of them - bios, then chipset, then SATA, then LAN, then sound).

Then do Windows updates, including SP1.
Did all this, took an image of it this time, like i should have done the first time and like I do with all my other computers.

Then ATI.
Just finished doing this, I dont have high hopes, I dont think it was fucked because of the ordered I installed it in(for the most part that shouldnt matter, or maybe I was spoiled with Nvidia always isntalled Nvidia video drivers first on new machines). It didnt even prompt me to restart the computer after the install...

chespace

Yeah, I would re-download the Catalyst suite you got and try fresh.

Not sure why it's screwy for you.

captive

Looks like the ATI driver installed ok.
Silly question, how do i get two different images as desktop backgrounds IE one for each monitor? Nvidia's software made this super easy, yet I cant seem to find a way to do it.

I cant seem to find my copy of 1701 AD.

rc213

Picking up the parts to upgrade my pc in 7hrs!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DSL
ATI HD 3450
Kingston DDR2 800mhz 4gb 2x2gb

Sunofabitch.

So I'm getting the same bullshit Che was getting with my 4870x2, driver failure and game crash back to the desktop as soon as the engine loads up with Catalyst enabled, but works fine off a single core. Just sent an RMA request out to DIAMOND.

Fuckety fuck fucker.

TheWolf

Banned
put together my machine yesterday and it's working great. very surprised since it was my first time. only thing i did wrong was not put the power cable into the HDD snug enough. and i might of put the HDD case light on the wrong header since it doesn't seem to be working. ill probably mess with it later and try to clean up the cables a bit.

i'm a 'build your own pc' convert. :D

zoku88

Hazaro said:
Yup, amazing stuff, the Hydra 100 was being demo'd somewhere recently.

If this chip can do what it says it can do, whoa boy are PC gamers up for a real treat in the next few years. (Not sure about after that, because companies might wise up) :lol

*edit
Checked the article, lined out most of the stuff, plus the shots :D

Canadian buddy.
Yea, I remember it beig demoed like a month or two ago., since I remember making the thread :p

Maybe it was computex?

chespace

MickeyKnox said:
Sunofabitch.

So I'm getting the same bullshit Che was getting with my 4870x2, driver failure and game crash back to the desktop as soon as the engine loads up with Catalyst enabled, but works fine off a single core. Just sent an RMA request out to DIAMOND.

Fuckety fuck fucker.

What the fuck? Really?

So maybe my having plugged the 8-pin EATXV12 into the 4870x2 wasn't what borked it?

Because there have been others with the exact same problem out there. I wonder if there are just bad 4870x2's out there, regardless of manufacturer.

Also, I tried OC'ing the GPU last night. Bad idea. All my clock tests checked out okay -- in fact, I even used CCC to auto-tune the OC, but when I started playing Crysis, all hell broke loose. Crazy colors everywhere, then hard lock with sound in a loop.

Yikes.

captive

MickeyKnox said:
AAAAAAHHHHHH.

DriverAgent is a giant scam, please don't point people to it.
I dont think it is. A coworker of mine has used it when we couldnt find the right drivers anywhere.

Anyway, my new install seems to be fine, CS Source runs as it should. 3dmark ran good. But it looks like CCC.exe is fucked again, it let me run through the setup after I installed it, but after a couple of restarts for other things its jacked up again. I suppose i dont really need it anyway.

Installed Assassins creed since i got it free. Havent started a game yet though.
I wish I could find my damn copy of 1701, I freaking love that game.
Anyone here getting Red Alert 3?

Zzoram

rc213 said:
Picking up the parts to upgrade my pc in 7hrs!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DSL
ATI HD 3450
Kingston DDR2 800mhz 4gb 2x2gb

Whaaaat? Why get something so weak? Pay the $80 for a HD4670 and have a capable gaming rig.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
chespace said:
What the fuck? Really?

So maybe my having plugged the 8-pin EATXV12 into the 4870x2 wasn't what borked it?

Because there have been others with the exact same problem out there. I wonder if there are just bad 4870x2's out there, regardless of manufacturer.
Also, I tried OC'ing the GPU last night. Bad idea. All my clock tests checked out okay -- in fact, I even used CCC to auto-tune the OC, but when I started playing Crysis, all hell broke loose. Crazy colors everywhere, then hard lock with sound in a loop.

Yikes.
Go with ASUS.

I swear, ATI's hardware partners are all pieces of shit saving ASUS. I already have experience with this. I started picking ASUS from the beggining just by chance, and over the years I have started seeing a a pattern. ASUS cards can always run all the games at 100% core usage, you rarely hear about them being DOA, and easily OC beyond what other OC'd stock cards can.

The worse shit ever was during the Age of Conan and GRID launches when many ATI owners were experiencing 2D performance from their cards (reduced clock speeds and only 40% usage). I was trying to help people in the hardware support boards since my card could run the games just fine. Eventually we figured that the problem had to do with almost any other card not manufactured by ASUS, and only cards by other partners manufactured recently could perform fine in AoC/GRID.

MidiSurf

Banned
What's the next big thing on the graphics cards market ? I own Ati 4870x2 but I'm going to sell it to my friend and I will buy new one in year 2009 (Q1). So any info of upcoming graphic cards ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MidiSurf said:
What's the next big thing on the graphics cards market ? I own Ati 4870x2 but I'm going to sell it to my friend and I will buy new one in year 2009 (Q1). So any info of upcoming graphic cards ?

Rehashing so far. Little core upgrade or something.

Nothing afaik

Phaethon0017 said:
Antec Case Midtower ATX
OCZ 700W PSU

Core 2 Duo E8500

Tuniq 120mm Fan/Heatsink I plan on OCing the E8500 to 4ghz.
Asus P5N-D SLI
MSI Nvidia 280 GTX

Corsair Dominator 4gig PC2 8500

WD 640gig 7200rpm HDD

Samsung 22" LCD

Logitech G51 5.1 Surround

Samsung 22x DVDR

Total: $1,380 after rebates. Am I going overboard on anything? Too little or too much? First PC I've built in a long time, just want to make sure I'm prepared.

I'd swap the 8500 for a 8400, you just want that new stepping.
http://www.tankguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=1828
A little more than a E8400, less than a E8500.

You don't need a GTX 280, get a 260 instead or a 4870.

Also no reason to get an nVidia mobo if you are using one card. Intel's are better overall.

Grab any assortment of P35 or higher boards (X38). P5K,P5Q,DS3 etc..

Also you might want to think of getting a soundcard (Even if it's a cheap one) for that surround system.

rc213

Zzoram said:
Whaaaat? Why get something so weak? Pay the $80 for a HD4670 and have a capable gaming rig.

Limited funds for now, Next step is a Corsair 650/750w PSU and a ~$100 range video card.

Now this is my 1st Intel build and I have some question on bios options.

SATA AHCI Mode (Disabled)???
SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode (Enabled)???

Any other bios options I should pay special attention too?

EDIT: Is it normal that the cpu is running at 1600mhz instead of 2400mhz? Should I leave this feature on?

261jh43.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
dearapollo said:

Here are the specs.

Onboard LAN included
Stereo Speakers (black)

You have a nVidia motherboard and two ATI cards.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Angry Grimace said:
You have a nVidia motherboard and two ATI cards.
Those cards should still work fine. The only two mobo/GPU incompatibilities that I'm aware of are the Geforce 6800 AGP and the Nforce3 chipset (lol), and the Radeon 3850 AGP and VIA/Nforce3 chipsets.

The only advice I would give is to wait until next month when Intel releases the i7 before dropping almost 2 grand on a computer.

edit: Oh I see your point. No crossfire support. Drop one of the cards and get the 4870x2, CF is overrated anyways.

godhandiscen

MickeyKnox said:
Such a stupid thing to say when bullshit is both platform agnostic and perpetually sporadic.
Is your card manufactured by the the same company that made Che's?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rc213 said:
Limited funds for now, Next step is a Corsair 650/750w PSU and a ~$100 range video card.

Now this is my 1st Intel build and I have some question on bios options.

SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode (Enabled)???

Any other bios options I should pay special attention too?

EDIT: Is it normal that the cpu is running at 1600mhz instead of 2400mhz? Should I leave this feature on?

261jh43.jpg

Speedstepping, if you aren't overclocking might as well leave it on. Saves power when idle.

When you use your CPU it'll immediately jump back up to full speed. You can disable it via C1E or SpeedStep in your BIOS.

rc213

Hazaro said:
Speedstepping, if you aren't overclocking might as well leave it on. Saves power when idle.

When you use your CPU it'll immediately jump back up to full speed. You can disable it via C1E or SpeedStep in your BIOS.

Thanks, I will do that. Any chance you know what the 2 settings I listed do? I installed Vista 32bit with AHCI disabled and Native Mode Enabled. Everything seems to be working fine so far.

Also, Is there any way to get the 64bit version of Vista without buying the whole thing?

chespace

So seeing as I got some pretty bad chug during the Tremors level in Crysis (when the ground shakes and rocks fall in the distance outside the mines especially), I decided to OC my Yorkfield tonight.

It's now running at 3.4 from 2.8 GHz and seems stable so far. I ran prime95 for about an hour and the maximum temperatures were 65, 62, 60, 60. Is that pretty normal?

The system now idles at 29, 29, 35, 32. Is there an advantage to turning off sidestepping (which I assume is the feature that clocks your CPU down when not under load)?

Anyway, with this new clock speed, I tried the same level in Crysis and voila, the chug is gone! It is now really smooth at 1920 x 1200. :D

Just because I'm paranoid, I have all fans on the Antec 1200 case running at maximum now and set my bios to run my Arctic Cooler 7 CPU fan at max speed (aka the "turbo" profile).

Fingers crossed.

zoku88

rc213 said:
Thanks, I will do that. Any chance you know what the 2 settings I listed do? I installed Vista 32bit with AHCI disabled and Native Mode Enabled. Everything seems to be working fine so far.

Also, Is there any way to get the 64bit version of Vista without buying the whole thing?
There is like a $10 upgrade license, I think

Waikis

chespace said:
So seeing as I got some pretty bad chug during the Tremors level in Crysis (when the ground shakes and rocks fall in the distance outside the mines especially), I decided to OC my Yorkfield tonight.

It's now running at 3.4 from 2.8 GHz and seems stable so far. I ran prime95 for about an hour and the maximum temperatures were 65, 62, 60, 60. Is that pretty normal?

The system now idles at 29, 29, 35, 32. Is there an advantage to turning off sidestepping (which I assume is the feature that clocks your CPU down when not under load)?

Anyway, with this new clock speed, I tried the same level in Crysis and voila, the chug is gone! It is now really smooth at 1920 x 1200. :D

Just because I'm paranoid, I have all fans on the Antec 1200 case running at maximum now and set my bios to run my Arctic Cooler 7 CPU fan at max speed (aka the "turbo" profile).

Fingers crossed.

Your temperature is well within the normal range. Good job at overclocking it. As for sidestepping, I would turn it off when i'm overclocking . Some people believe that it might affect your OC stability (I personally havent tested this).

MickeyKnox said:
Such a stupid thing to say when bullshit is both platform agnostic and perpetually sporadic.

Nvidia drivers have historically been less problematic than ATi drivers. You can say this is a "thing of the past" but the latest release from Nvidia with around the board increases in performance tell me otherwise.

TheHeretic[B said:
]Nvidia drivers have historically been less problematic than ATi drivers.[/B] You can say this is a "thing of the past" but the latest release from Nvidia with around the board increases in performance tell me otherwise.
Pfffffffffffffft.

Google

"nvlddmkm"

or

"nVidia scaling"

Like I said, hardware and driver bullshit is universal.

Chiggs

Gold Member
MickeyKnox said:
Like I said, hardware and driver bullshit is universal.

Some of ATI's drivers do a great job of convincing me otherwise. Quirky ass drivers with way too much overhead. Sure, Nvidia had their day in the shade when Vista first launched, but now...their Vista drivers are outstanding.

Schrade

Chiggs said:
Some of ATI's drivers do a great job of convincing me otherwise. Quirky ass drivers with way too much overhead. Sure, Nvidia had their day in the shade when Vista first launched, but now...their Vista drivers are outstanding.
178.24's are officially out too :)

I love the RGB 0-255 setting. Finally non washed out video playing without having to use Media Player Classic's shaders to fix it.

chespace

Just ran a few benchmarks with Crysis and my new clock speed.

1920 x 1200, Cuban's CCC level 5, max motion blur, DX10.

GPU test = 35 fps

CPU test = 27 fps

CPU test 2 = 17 fps

Gained around 5 frames all around. :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rc213 said:
How is this Heatsink/Fan? Worth the $$$ over the Stock Cooler?

Thanks

At those volts I don't see temps being a problem. Speedstep is a nice thing to have on if you are on stock speeds.

Check your temps and load to see if you really need another cooler. I'd say if it's under 70C load via ORTHOS/PRIME that's fine.

Other 2 things, no clue.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
There's some sort of technology that is being worked on that allows an ATI and an Nvidia card to be used in unison. The name evades me, but the work shown thus far has been extremely promising.

I imagine Nvidia and AMD will do everything to destroy it, and I think they might win.

Edit: Found it, called the Hydra Engine.

http://www.insidetech.com/news/2888-hydra-technology-may-render-crossfire-sli-obsolete

Actually the next Intel chipset for Nehalem, the X58 enthusiast chipset, will support both Crossfire and SLI. There are no plans for SLI support in P55 and P53 though, but they will continue to support Crossfire as usual.

nVidia is rumoured to stop making chipsets in the near future, hence their current experiment allowing SLI to work on the newest highest end Intel chipset coming this year.

Zzoram

chespace said:

GPU test = 35 fps

CPU test = 27 fps

CPU test 2 = 17 fps

Ya, you were definitely CPU limited if you got such a boost from oc'ing your CPU, the 4870x2 is a beast of a card.

Temperature in the 60s for your OC is fine. If you notice any unusual crashes, do Prime95 for 8 hours just incase, otherwise you're probably ok.

godhandiscen

chespace said:

GPU test = 35 fps

CPU test = 27 fps

CPU test 2 = 17 fps

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

I need that 3.0GHz Phenom like yesterday.

chespace

Insanity. Crysis is so good. Even the later levels, which remind me of MGS4 where it just ditches its established routine and goes for a Hollywood-esque rollercoaster ride.

I just got to the aircraft carrier and decided to call it for the night.

I was expecting the snow level to kill my PC but was very happy to find that I was getting very smooth framerates there, even when those aliens were right in my face and I was spinning every which way to try and shoot them. The 4870x2 is indeed a beast.

Now I want more PC games to really push hardware like Crysis. :D

Manp

rc213 said:

AHCI should give a little performance boost so you may want it enabled. you need to have Intel AHCI drivers installed tho cause otherwise windows may fail to boot with AHCI enabled.

Vista should come with AHCI compatible drivers for Intel chipsets iirc. the best should be to get the latest set from Intel's site.

:)

Manp

chespace said:
Insanity. Crysis is so good. Even the later levels, which remind me of MGS4 where it just ditches its established routine and goes for a Hollywood-esque rollercoaster ride.

I just got to the aircraft carrier and decided to call it for the night.

I was expecting the snow level to kill my PC but was very happy to find that I was getting very smooth framerates there, even when those aliens were right in my face and I was spinning every which way to try and shoot them. The 4870x2 is indeed a beast.

Now I want more PC games to really push hardware like Crysis. :D

you really want me to buy that 4870x2 che? :D damn you!

:)

Top Bottom