• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bee said:
the difference between 1920x1080 and 1680x1050 (in terms of fps) in most games is minimal much like the difference between frame rates in using a 9800gtx+ or a gtx260 in SOME games and my 8800gts 512 is clocked at 760/2200 which is marginally faster than a 9800gtx+

i averaged 30-35fps easy 90%+ of the time on the settings i mentioned

On average it's about 6 fps with a GTX 260, but still...

It's probably because my Windows install is like 3 years old with 120 programs on it :lol

Poor thing :(

Darklord

Banned
Ok so I'm looking to get a new PC. Are there specs good and are there anything I should change(Obviously I'm not meaning add 3 new graphics card or anything crazy)?

CPU: Intel Q9450

Mobo: Gigabyte X48-DQ6

RAM: A-DATA 4GB 800mhz

GPU: HIS HD4870 512mb

PSU: Tagan TG800-U33 ITZ

HDD: Seagate 500Gb 7200RPM

Monitor: 22" Viewsonic VX2235

Case: Coolermaster CM690

Good? Bad? Thoughts? This is my big upgrade and will need to last me 3 years or so.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
For a bit of future proofing, I would switch to get the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 (2.8GHz)
Asus P5Q Pro motherboard
Arctic Cooler 7 heatsink-fan
Radeon HD 4870 1GB

The CPU/mobo/cooler will enable you to overclock to your heart's content (very easy to go to 3.8GHz) so you don't bottleneck any future GPUs you might get in 3 years. And I don't think it'll really cost you that much more than what you've already got on your list.

AFAIK, the 4870 1GB is just a little bit more than the 512 but a huge difference in performance. Why not?

Darklord said:
Ok so I'm looking to get a new PC. Are there specs good and are there anything I should change(Obviously I'm not meaning add 3 new graphics card or anything crazy)?

CPU: Intel Q9450

Good? Bad? Thoughts? This is my big upgrade and will need to last me 3 years or so.

Unless you are getting some kind of a great deal on this, get the q9550. Prices are the same on newegg (~$320) and actually the 9550 is cheaper.

Well got my grubby hands on a WinHEC Build Disc of Windows 7 from a bud up in Redmond today.

FYI---- (To anyone who may also be testing it out) it works fine on VMWare and VirtualBox. Just install like you would Vista. :D

Shubit

Darklord:

Unless you plan on going dual HD 4870 X2 I'd suggest looking into a p45 chipset motherboard instead. The Gigabyte EP45-UD3P is the current price/performance champ and comes highly recommended on various overclocker forums or alternatively if you want to go ASUS both the P5Q-E and especially the P5Q Deluxe give great results and are amongst the most popular boards out there.

As for CPU: that extra 0.5 multi the q9550 offers is worth the 20 bucks or so premium. It definitely shows even on a mild overclock when you are comfortably pushing an additional 200MHz or more at same FSB (shows in games since latest gpu's are being bottlenecked by CPU's ability to feed them data).

For cooling a quad I'd personally go with something more concrete than ACF7 you are being recommended: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the newer HDT-S1284EE (make sure it's the EE and not Achilles, as that sucked). They both come with Intel's easy to install pushpin mounts by default and you can even buy an optional (cheap) backplate mounting kit if you prefer. There are some other great more or less reasonably priced coolers out there so definitely check online reviews and people's opinions (to make sure it fits on your MB of choice) on newegg and such.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Not to downplay those coolers above, but I just want to say that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the Arctic Cooler 7.

I'm pushing 3.8 on my Q9550 and peak temp is at 67 degrees after 10 hours of torture testing. It idles at 30 and hits low 50's when I play games. Basically, you'll probably never get to 67 degrees on any sort of normal application use, and even if you do, it's perfectly safe.

The ACF7 has push pins, easy to install, and is very cheap.

bee

chespace said:
Not to downplay those coolers above, but I just want to say that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the Arctic Cooler 7.

I'm pushing 3.8 on my Q9550 and peak temp is at 67 degrees after 10 hours of torture testing. It idles at 30 and hits low 50's when I play games. Basically, you'll probably never get to 67 degrees on any sort of normal application use, and even if you do, it's perfectly safe.

The ACF7 has push pins, easy to install, and is very cheap.

noisy though like all 92mm high rpm fans are

i've heard good things about the new'ish arctic cooling freezer xtreme, also uses push pins if you like them and cools a fair bit better whilst being quieter with a 120mm fan

15p01w4.jpg

personally i'd always go with one that you can fit your own choice of 120mm fan to, then you can get 1 or 2 yate loon or sharkoons or something like that for great and silent cooling

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
bee said:
noisy though like all 92mm high rpm fans are

i've heard good things about the new'ish arctic cooling freezer xtreme, also uses push pins if you like them and cools a fair bit better whilst being quieter with a 120mm fan

15p01w4.jpg

personally i'd always go with one that you can fit your own choice of 120mm fan to, then you can get 1 or 2 yate loon or sharkoons or something like that for great and silent cooling
I was checking the specs on this cooler, and it says it takes 120Watts, isn't that a lot?

Shubit

godhandiscen said:
I was checking the specs on this cooler, and it says it takes 120Watts, isn't that a lot?

That piece of info means it effectively cools a 120W TDP CPU not it's power draw. The Arctic Cooling site specifies 160W actually.

godhandiscen

Shubit said:
That piece of info means it effectively cools a 120W TDP CPU not it's power draw. The Arctic Cooling site specifies 160W actually.
Thanks, my bad.

Darklord

Banned
prodystopian said:
Unless you are getting some kind of a great deal on this, get the q9550. Prices are the same on newegg (~$320) and actually the 9550 is cheaper.

The Q9550 cheapest price is about $90 more than the Q9450's cheapest in Australia. :\

Shubit said:
Darklord:

Unless you plan on going dual HD 4870 X2 I'd suggest looking into a p45 chipset motherboard instead. The Gigabyte EP45-UD3P is the current price/performance champ and comes highly recommended on various overclocker forums or alternatively if you want to go ASUS both the P5Q-E and especially the P5Q Deluxe give great results and are amongst the most popular boards out there.

As for CPU: that extra 0.5 multi the q9550 offers is worth the 20 bucks or so premium. It definitely shows even on a mild overclock when you are comfortably pushing an additional 200MHz or more at same FSB (shows in games since latest gpu's are being bottlenecked by CPU's ability to feed them data).

For cooling a quad I'd personally go with something more concrete than ACF7 you are being recommended: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the newer HDT-S1284EE (make sure it's the EE and not Achilles, as that sucked). They both come with Intel's easy to install pushpin mounts by default and you can even buy an optional (cheap) backplate mounting kit if you prefer. There are some other great more or less reasonably priced coolers out there so definitely check online reviews and people's opinions (to make sure it fits on your MB of choice) on newegg and such.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a look into the changes you recommended.

Also, should I just get the 32 bit version of Vista? I've heard a lot of driver issues and other problems on the 64 version.

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
1920x1200 is 16:10 while 1920x1080 is 16:9

Unless you want the picture to be stretched (which some monitors do) it is just leaving out the space to give you a normal picture.

I think it's called 1:1 something, could be mistaken for another feature though.

Yup, 1:1 pixel mapping, to prevent stretching. Some LCDs natively support this, cheaper ones generally do not. I think you can force it through video card drivers in monitors that don't do it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Darklord said:
The Q9550 cheapest price is about $90 more than the Q9450's cheapest in Australia. :\

Also, should I just get the 32 bit version of Vista? I've heard a lot of driver issues and other problems on the 64 version.

I haven't and 64-bit is the reason you want Vista.

Darklord said:

The Sigmatek Red Scorpion (S1283) is about 60 bucks in Australia and will keep anything you throw at it cool. Its not the easiest thing in the world to install but it pops in as opposed to using a back plate (which requires a removal of the motherboard). If you are going to overclock a Q6600 will get to 3.2ghz easily on any of the coolers recommended to you, so keep that in mind, because its substantially cheaper than the Q9XXX series.

64 bit Vista is what you want, for sure.

rc213

Vista 64-bit recommendations

Have you guys run into any apps that refuse to run? What if a specific app has only a 32-bit exe?

Manp

rc213 said:

Have you guys run into any apps that refuse to run? What if a specific app has only a 32-bit exe?

only drivers need to be 64 bit. most 32bit apps should work.

:)

godhandiscen

rc213 said:

None at all. Vista 64 ftw.

Minsc

Gold Member
godhandiscen said:
None at all. Vista 64 ftw.

How many games from the mid-late 90s work perfectly? Is there even a good resource for that? Even from the early 2000s could potentially be iffy.

Anyone with Vista 64-bit extensively test older games? Or maybe a website has a list?

I've been given a strict budget (£300) to build a nice rig for my brother so I decided to harvest some of my aprts as it gives me an excuse to upgrade. :lol I'm giving him my E2180 (which clocks to 3ghz+ quite easily), 2GB OCZ low latency RAM, and 512MB 8800GT for £100, which is quite a good deal if you ask me!! They cost me close to £200 just 4/5 months ago and a new 8800GT is still around the £90 mark.

I've picked up a 460w Gigabyte PSU, 640GB HDD, Gigabyte P43 DS3L (which makes my P35 jealous :() , nice ASUS Vento case, DVDRW, Akasa 965 (such a great budget cooler), couple of case fans and a wireless PCI card for just £200. Which should mean he's got a pretty sweet rig that'll basically max out any game at his resolution (1280x768) for very little at all.

It also means I can get an upgrade to an E5200, 4GB RAM and a 4850 for £100 which I'm pretty happy about. I didn't really need the upgrade at all, but the temptation was too big and it meant my brother would get more bang for his buck as well.

I'm looking forward to it coming as it means I've got lots of tweaking and building to do.

Really interested to see what the 4850 can do.:D

Oh and a tip for UK GAFers. If you sign upto www.avforums.com (and make a few posts, which is easy as its a great forum anyway) you can get free delivery from scan.co.uk, which is great as their prices are awesome and they have quite a nice choice of components as well.

bee

Minsc said:
How many games from the mid-late 90s work perfectly? Is there even a good resource for that? Even from the early 2000s could potentially be iffy.

Anyone with Vista 64-bit extensively test older games? Or maybe a website has a list?

use gog.com all their old games work fine on vista 64, the only old ones i've come across that don't work are ones that use old tages protection which is incompatible with vista 64

Quick question regarding Vista 64. Apparently I qualify for a £40 version of Vista Ultimate, the only snag is that its the upgrade version but I know you use to be able to install a trial version first (by not adding your serial first time?) time as a fresh install. Is this still possible?

Minsc

Gold Member
bee said:
use gog.com all their old games work fine on vista 64, the only old ones i've come across that don't work are ones that use old tages protection which is incompatible with vista 64

I do use gog, but it has basically none of my 100 or so older games... not too helpful for me. The really old ones I'm not worried about thanks to DOSBox, it's just all my Windows 95-XP games (~1995-2008).

larvi

brain_stew said:
I've been given a strict budget (£300) to build a nice rig for my brother so I decided to harvest some of my aprts as it gives me an excuse to upgrade. :lol I'm giving him my E2180 (which clocks to 3ghz+ quite easily), 2GB OCZ low latency RAM, and 512MB 8800GT for £100, which is quite a good deal if you ask me!! They cost me close to £200 just 4/5 months ago and a new 8800GT is still around the £90 mark.

I've picked up a 460w Gigabyte PSU, 640GB HDD, Gigabyte P43 DS3L (which makes my P35 jealous :() , nice ASUS Vento case, DVDRW, Akasa 965 (such a great budget cooler), couple of case fans and a wireless PCI card for just £200. Which should mean he's got a pretty sweet rig that'll basically max out any game at his resolution (1280x768) for very little at all.

It also means I can get an upgrade to an E5200, 4GB RAM and a 4850 for £100 which I'm pretty happy about. I didn't really need the upgrade at all, but the temptation was too big and it meant my brother would get more bang for his buck as well.

I'm looking forward to it coming as it means I've got lots of tweaking and building to do.

Really interested to see what the 4850 can do.:D

Nice, this is how I justify my upgrades too, I've got computers for my wife and both daughters (plus a print server) so when I get a new upgrade I share the wealth and pass my older components down the line to one of the other PCs.

I'd be interested in your impressions on the 4850 vs the 8800GT you had. I've currently got a 8800GTS 512 and have been thinking about a 4850 since they are getting close to the $100 mark now but not sure how much of a step up it would really be from my current card.

larvi

brain_stew said:
Quick question regarding Vista 64. Apparently I qualify for a £40 version of Vista Ultimate, the only snag is that its the upgrade version but I know you use to be able to install a trial version first (by not adding your serial first time?) time as a fresh install. Is this still possible?

I'm guessing this is what you are referring to? I've never tried it but it looks like it shoudl work:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

bee

brain_stew said:

remember to do this

Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on a computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows XP or of Windows 2000

Most Windows XP and Windows 2000 users have the 32-bit version of these operating systems. For example, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows Tablet Edition and Windows Media Center Edition only come in 32-bit versions. For these operating systems, there is no upgrade installation path available when you upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system. However, you can perform a custom installation that uses an upgrade license.

After you purchase a Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:
1. Back up all the data and the settings by using Windows XP Backup.

Note You can also use Windows Easy Transfer. This back up program is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that is on the 32-bit Windows Vista DVD if you want to use Windows Easy Transfer to back up a 32-bit version of Windows.
2. Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
3. Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.

Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit operating system.
4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select Custom as the installation type.
5. After installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup location.

for my Next PC what should i Go with?

GX2 in SLI Mode?
or
9800 GTX+ in SLI?
or
GTX 260 in SLI Mode?

as always i'm looking to "future" proof (whatever that means) and the most bang for my buck. and my second question is I have an EVGA 780i motherboard. does it accept DDR3 RAM?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
for my Next PC what should i Go with?

GX2 in SLI Mode?
or
9800 GTX+ in SLI?
or
GTX 260 in SLI Mode?

as always i'm looking to "future" proof (whatever that means) and the most bang for my buck. and my second question is I have an EVGA 780i motherboard. does it accept DDR3 RAM?

A single 4870X2 would be your best bet, much simpler and it should be faster than all of them options. 100% don't get two GX2s the scaling past two cards is non existant and the 512MB framebuffer is going to be a huge bottleneck.

What resolution are you using? Only consider the X2 or going SLI if its 1080p or higher. Its a waste otherwise, and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck with a single 4870 or GTX 260.

Completely pointless buying DDR3 RAM as it offers no performance benefits with the current CPUs and it isn't even "future proof" as Nehalem requires "triple channel" kits. So you've no guarantee a twin pack picked up today will be any real use with a Nehalem rig. Just stick to DDR2, even DDR2 800 is more than enough for the vast majority of rigs, assuming you aren't attempting an extreme overclock.

If you haven't already bought the motherboard, I'd recommend picking up a P45 borad instead.

Edit: After getting upto speed on US prices, the GTX 260 really is quite nicely priced, if you demand the performance then two of them in SLI looks a decent option.

brain_stew said:
A single 4870X2 would be your best bet, much simpler and it should be faster than all of them options. 100% don't get two GX2s the scaling past two cards is non existant and the 512MB framebuffer is going to be a huge bottleneck.

What resolution are you using? Only consider the X2 or going SLI if its 1080p or higher. Its a waste otherwise, and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck with a single 4870 or GTX 260.

Completely pointless buying DDR3 RAM as it offers no performance benefits with the current CPUs and it isn't even "future proof" as Nehalem requires "triple channel" kits. So you've no guarantee a twin pack picked up today will be any real use with a Nehalem rig. Just stick to DDR2, even DDR2 800 is more than enough for the vast majority of rigs, assuming you aren't attempting an extreme overclock.

If you haven't already bought the motherboard, I'd recommend picking up a P45 borad instead.

Edit: After getting upto speed on US prices, the GTX 260 really is quite nicely priced, if you demand the performance then two of them in SLI looks a decent option.

i Have a 24" inch Monitor at 1920X1200. will my motherboard (the EVGA 780i) accept a 4870 though? what power supply would i need for SLI 260 or 4870 1Gb or say the X2?
(i heard that ATI has driver support issues?) thank you for the answers. very helpful.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i Have a 24" inch Monitor at 1920X1200. will my motherboard (the EVGA 780i) accept a 4870 though? what power supply would i need for SLI 260 or 4870 1Gb or say the X2?
(i heard that ATI has driver support issues?) thank you for the answers. very helpful.

Ofcourse any ATI card will work. At that res. a 4870X2 would indeed be of use, SLI 260s is still an option as well of course.

What power supply do you run currently? "Wattage" figures are wholly irrelevant, but I'd recommend something like a Corsair 620w.

brain_stew said:
Ofcourse any ATI card will work. At that res. a 4870X2 would indeed be of use, SLI 260s is still an option as well of course.

What power supply do you run currently? "Wattage" figures are wholly irrelevant, but I'd recommend something like a Corsair 620w.

Ooh... good to know! this is my PSU at the moment NZXT PP800 Performance Power ATX 2.0 Power as chico escuela use to say "PSU has been bery bery goo to me!" uh... anyways, it's 800 Watts.
i'm not really versed in how many volts it provides and such (am still learning about PC hardware, but i love it and i don't think i'll be going back to consoles!)

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Ooh... good to know! this is my PSU at the moment NZXT PP800 Performance Power ATX 2.0 Power as chico escuela use to say "PSU has been bery bery goo to me!" uh... anyways, it's 800 Watts.
i'm not really versed in how many volts it provides and such (am still learning about PC hardware, but i love it and i don't think i'll be going back to consoles!)

Wow after doing a little research, that looks like a very nice PSU (4 12V rails!!), you won't have trouble powering anything with that thing.

Mr.City

I got my pieces yesterday, and the pc is mostly assembled. I did hit a snag or two though. I can't figure out which cable hooks my case fans up to my power supply. There's a cable that has two male ends that says "fans only", however it has no male end to connect back into the power supply.

Yixian

Banned
Hey doodz. Figured I'd post this in here as it's the seemingly official thread for building PCs.

I'm a Mac user sick of the garbage GPUs we get stuck with, so I'm selling my PS3 and building a dedicated gaming PC for as cheap as possible (budget ~400 quid, should get ~300 for selling my PS3 + TV and will get 100 quid for xmas). Anyway this is will be the first time I've ever built a computer so lemme know what you think of the specs:

2990621577_de3123550f_o.png

Particularly the motherboard, another GAFfer told me it wasn't up to snuff. Don't worry about the HDD size, this is just for games and I don't have many installed at once usually.

Also, I'm building this for xmas, so is there anything on the horizon I should wait for that will be out by then? Like a GPU or price drops or something?

Looking to max out Crysis at 1440x900 without anymore god damn lag!!1!

You'd be VERY well served spending a little bit more to upgrade to a P43 motherboard (essential for overclocking that E5200, it begs for it), 640GB HDD, SATA DVD drive, an Akasa 965 and another 120mm fan. Should still be under £450 and the user experience (especially once that CPU is mildly overclocked) should be MUCH better.

Trust me, you'll be wanting that bigger HDD very quickly, especially since games like GTA4 are demanding close to 20GB installs. Considering the cost of a 640GB HDD is peanuts these days, you'd be mad not to.

flsh

Banned
Going to buy a new PC in a week and I'm having a few quick questions.
I'm thinking about getting the E8400, 4 gigs of DDR2 and an Asus P5QL-E (P43 chipset) motherboard. Anything better around?
Also, going to get a DVD burner, 500GB and either a 4870 or GTX260. Which graphics card should I take?
And how strong should the PSU be?
PC will be 90% for WoW, 10% other games until star craft 2 comes and I'll forget about WoW :p

flsh said:
Going to buy a new PC in a week and I'm having a few quick questions.
I'm thinking about getting the E8400, 4 gigs of DDR2 and an Asus P5QL-E (P43 chipset) motherboard. Anything better around?
Also, going to get a DVD burner, 500GB and either a 4870 or GTX260. Which graphics card should I take?
And how strong should the PSU be?
PC will be 90% for WoW, 10% other games until star craft 2 comes and I'll forget about WoW :p

I'd go Quad personally with that budget, Far Cry 2 and GTA4 are good example of games that make good use of quads already and the list is bound to grow. A Q6600 or any 45nm quad should clock to 3ghz quite easily, and I'd take that over an E8400 any day.

Yixian

Banned
brain_stew said:
You'd be VERY well served spending a little bit more to upgrade to a P43 motherboard (essential for overclocking that E5200, it begs for it

I r a noob, what benefits other than OCing the processor would there be to getting a better motherboard?

Or should I just get a Intel Core 2 Duo E4600?

EDIT: Ok here's a revised build. Note that I will buy that processor off eBay where it can be found for £20 cheaper.

2992635014_63ffd265e9_o.png

Yixian said:
I r a noob, what benefits other than OCing the processor would there be to getting a better motherboard?

Or should I just get a Intel Core 2 Duo E4600?

EDIT: Ok here's a revised build. Note that I will buy that processor off eBay where it can be found for £20 cheaper.

2992635014_63ffd265e9_o.png

That processor, is slower, hotter, more power hungry and will use more power. It makes zero sense, again, spend the extra £3 for a SATA DVD drive, you'll thank me when you put it together.

The old motherboard you choose likely doesn't even support 45nm Core 2 chips and if it does they'll be held back by the board. Better performance, PCIe 2.0 and more BIOS options are all reasons to go with the newer board. It makes very little sense to keep the E5200 at stock, a mild clock to say 3ghz will make the thing fly and is ridiculously simply to do, and comes with basically zero risk.

And, honestly, for the sake of £15, you'll regret not getting the bigger HDD, 15GB+ installs are becoming the norm and they eat through HDD space.

UltiGamer

Ok, so I have been looking at monitors for a while, and I was thinking I would get it and use it as a new TV until I get my computer built.

So here is my question, in the 24" arena, should I stick with the Gateway FHD2400 24 inch LCD
or is the Samsung touch of color a better way to go?

In the meantime I will be using this for my Wii, PS3, and satellite viewing.
Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Top Bottom