• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yixian said:
Wow O_O Strong words.. I thought maybe the PSU wouldn't be great, but that case looked nice.. oh well..

The reason I changed it is because on another forum people kept telling me that that 460w PSU with the Coolermaster case wouldn't be enough to run my build.

The 380w I linked before is more than enough. It's a solid PSU. Think of it as getting a case free.

Oh and your other forum is WRONG.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=511180

Your system draws way less than this.

Mimir

Manp said:
for the love of God get a decent PSU and if you can get 2 HDDs and go for a RAID 0 (of course you'll need MB support for this)

:)
For the love of God, don't do this. RAID 0 is a waste of money. The only improvements you will see is for artificial benchmarking applications. For real applications, the difference is either non-existent or not noticeable.

Yixian said:
Wow O_O Strong words.. I thought maybe the PSU wouldn't be great, but that case looked nice.. oh well..

The reason I changed it is because on another forum people kept telling me that that 460w PSU with the Coolermaster case wouldn't be enough to run my build.

They're wrong, I have that PSU and its actually very decent, much better than that "Extra Value" one you chose instead. The actual quoted wattage figure means very little, that Coolermaster has two very good 12V rails, more than enough for your rig. there's a reason why the Coolermaster has a PCIe power cord, and 5/6 SATA power cords whereas that cheap piece of crap only has one Sata and no PCIe. Its also got overvoltage and overcurrent protection so it won't blow up or fry your parts like that other one very well might do.

The Coolermaster case it comes with it is really excellent as well, with terrific airflow, I fitted an extra 120mm intake in place of the three spare DVD drives and it makes the inside decidedly chilly.

Yixian

Banned
Bah ok, coolermaster case + psu it is :) I prefer the look of that other case but looks won't be particularly useful with a burnt out rig I guess :D

Yixian said:
Bah ok, coolermaster case + psu it is :) I prefer the look of that other case but looks won't be particularly useful with a burnt out rig I guess :D

Add a couple 120mm LED Yate Loon fans in the front and one in the back and it looks cracking.

so im using this to build a new pc http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2330579,00.asp

to replace 3.4 ghz P4 x800xt 256, 2.5gb ram and 60gig Hd

what is the upgrade ability to of the lg 775 socket, or what would this motherboard restrict my upgrade ability.

im supplementing keyboard, mouse, monitor.
im going to go 64bit vista for the possibility of more ram i kinda want around wanna to get around 8 to 16gigs of ram eventually (probably 8 to start).

Deadly

Ok I've finally decided to upgrade my ancient still AGP-based PC and buy a new rig. I'm trying to get something semi-future proof that would last me at least say 3years? but I don't want to be spending too much either. Here's what I've come up with so far:
http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2869515&platformid=1000 . Is there anything I should change? I'm planning to mostly play things such as Fallout3 and upcoming SC2 and Diablo3 off the top of my head.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Deadly said:
Ok I've finally decided to upgrade my ancient still AGP-based PC and buy a new rig. I'm trying to get something semi-future proof that would last me at least say 3years? but I don't want to be spending too much either. Here's what I've come up with so far:
http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2869515&platformid=1000 . Is there anything I should change? I'm planning to mostly play things such as Fallout3 and upcoming SC2 and Diablo3 off the top of my head.

WD6400AAKS or Seagate 750GB instead.

Otherwise fine.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sigh, couldn't stabilize my Q9550 at 3.8GHz and, with Fallout 3 beckoning all the time, I don't have enough patience to fiddle with voltage settings beyond vcore, so I downclocked back to 3.6 (8.5 x425) @ 1.28V.

Going to test this for a long while, all tonight when I go to bed and all day tomorrow when I'm at work to make sure 3.6 is stable, and then I'll just leave it.

That is, unless someone can help me get it running at 3.8. :lol

Honestly, I see no difference in any games or OS performance between 3.6 and 3.8, although Crysis gave me 3 extra FPS in its GPU/CPU tests.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
chespace said:
Sigh, couldn't stabilize my Q9550 at 3.8GHz and, with Fallout 3 beckoning all the time, I don't have enough patience to fiddle with voltage settings beyond vcore, so I downclocked back to 3.6 (8.5 x425) @ 1.28V.

Going to test this for a long while, all tonight when I go to bed and all day tomorrow when I'm at work to make sure 3.6 is stable, and then I'll just leave it.

That is, unless someone can help me get it running at 3.8. :lol

Honestly, I see no difference in any games or OS performance between 3.6 and 3.8, although Crysis gave me 3 extra FPS in its GPU/CPU tests.

That's because they are hardly CPU intensive.

Once you reach the cap of what is needed rest isn't utilized much.

This is why I am at 3.8 instead of 4.0Ghz.
4Ghz is so magical though, but it requires too much extra voltage. :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Deadly said:
Personally, I would get a 4850 (or even the 4830) over the 9800GT. I would get a Coolermaster 690 or Antec 1200 over the 300 (dust filters). But the prices may be different in Canadaland.

I would also advise waiting until after i7 hits this month to take advantage of any price cuts that might happen after Intel shifts their product lines around. You might also want consider a sideways grade, which is what I did. I got a 3850 and an x2 4200+ and I should now be able to run anything coming out in 2009. When I do finally upgrade I don't want to buy another dead end chipset.

bee

core i7 is kicking ass, much more so in games than people expected. seems to be around 10% faster in general but in grids case and in the case of super high end its :O faster

still working my way through the reviews but definitely glad i waited

sqh5p3.jpg

9gag6h.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
bee said:
core i7 is kicking ass, much more so in games than people expected. seems to be around 10% faster in general but in grids case and in the case of super high end its :O faster

Amazing increase in performance... glad I am still waiting :)

Mr.City

Vista is telling me that the drivers in my dvd drive are missing or not loading correctly. I've uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and updating the drivers, but still nothing. I've only had this thing installed for a few days. It can't be fucked already, can it?

bee

Mr.City said:
Vista is telling me that the drivers in my dvd drive are missing or not loading correctly. I've uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and updating the drivers, but still nothing. I've only had this thing installed for a few days. It can't be fucked already, can it?

do you mean your dvd drive isn't working??? if so do this, it happened to me also

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
How much for a CoreI7 mobo and processor?
Would 1k neat me a decent combo?

Do I need new memory? I currently have DDR2.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sigh. Guess I'll go CoreI7 next year if I get the itch.

My current rig is doing JUST FINE for every single game I've tried.

More than fine.

zoku88

chespace said:

More than fine.
Well, you DID just get it :lol :lol

godhandiscen said:

The processors themselves are cheaper than comparable quad procs now... but the motherboards are enthusiast only, right now.

Aka, the cheapest one will probably be around 250 >.>

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
chespace said:

More than fine.
You sound like your convincing yourself.
Holy shit @ talking about a new rig :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
godhandiscen said:

Not if you expect to run an OS that's not free or pirated. :lol

I think a decent estimate for a baseline i7 rig will be:

~$300 for the 920 unit
~$300 for a mobo, which at release will be all x58 unless I'm missing something
~$200 for DDR3 RAM which is quite a bit more expensive than DDR2. I mean, you could get less than 4GB, but it seems kind of wasteful to buy an i7 at launch without 4GB of RAM.
That's $800 right there without a case, HDD, OS, Optical drive, PSU or Graphics cards.

You can't get i7 at 1K unless you skimp, and with a mainboard of 800 bucks, it seems like skimping is the last thing you'd want to do.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
*Jesus, the way this chip handles multiple GPU's is crazy.

I can't imagine the 9800X2 getting that much more of a boost, and if the 4870x2 does too...
Damn.

Color me surprised, hopefully multi-GPU smoothing continues as it has been lately.

Shame I won't buy it for 3-4 years. [ Probably 1 year knowing me :( ]

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Core i7 isn't meant to be bought by normal people at launch, it merely means that LGA Quad Cores are going to drop in price a shitload, so much so that I'll be getting a Q9950 early next year.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ahoyhoy said:
Core i7 isn't meant to be bought by normal people at launch, it merely means that LGA Quad Cores are going to drop in price a shitload, so much so that I'll be getting a Q9950 early next year.

Just read this on Guru3D

There is however a horrible rumor that yet another LAG socket will surface later in 2009, socket, LGA 1160 for mainstream processors with an expected arrival in 2009.

LGA right? Typo'd I guess.

Anyway, this set-up is still way too expensive for everyone except those who are going 8GB / Dual / Tri / Quad GPU set-ups

Angry Grimace

ahoyhoy said:
GAF isn't normal people, mostly :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bee said:

9gag6h.jpg

ONLY ON HIGH DUAL/TRI/QUAD set-ups.

Even on a single GTX280 there is almost no difference as the GPU is capped out.

However, once you throw multiple GPU's to work with it shines.

Just wanted to clarify it's not some average person miracle.

Angry Grimace said:
GAF isn't normal people, mostly :lol

Mostly console owners anyway.

Anandtech said:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3448&p=12

My my, interesting results on the dual set-up there...

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
core i7 920 over-clocked from 2.6 ghz to 3.3 ghz and it seems it was easy.

overclock-920.jpg

Cheeto

Zzoram said:
Ya, i7 only helps in multi-GPU configurations, since they are CPU bottlenecked.
Sounds like a big deal to me...until now doing SLI or CF was basically throwing your money away.

Ok GAF, I need some input on my possible PC. This is what I'm thinking about buying:

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PSU: Antec NeoPower 650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Case + PSU Combo - $105

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

Motherboard + Memory Combo - $180

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200 - Retail - $120

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail - $160

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $65

DVD-Burner: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM - $25

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM - $100

Would this make for a good build? Trying to keep it under $850.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
Sounds like a big deal to me...until now doing SLI or CF was basically throwing your money away.

It is, except currently the extra boost only applies to high end.

$240 starting CPU + $250 mobo + $200 for RAM
vs
$130 CPU + $100 mobo + $60 RAM

Stupid DDR3 prices and X58...

crimsonheadGCN said:
Ok GAF, I need some input on my possible PC. This is what I'm thinking about buying:

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Looks nice, just get the 1000 or 800 sticks instead to save a little.
WD6400AAKS instead of the 500 too. A little faster, 140GB more, plus it's only like $10 more.

Plus it now has an awesome sticker!
*cough*

Mr.City

I don't think you need that big a power supply for that build. It's very similar to mine, and 500 watts is suiting me just fine.

Cheeto

Hazaro said:

vs

True, but all those prices will drop fairly quickly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
True, but all those prices will drop fairly quickly.

Will they?

Unless AMD shows up something I think those will stay around for quite a while. Just my guess though.

For the majority of people who to gaming at 1920 and lower with a single card there's nothing to see here for gaming.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zzoram said:
Ya, i7 only helps in multi-GPU configurations, since they are CPU bottlenecked.
It also performs pretty well in World in Conflict, which is notoriously CPU bottlenecked. If the 920 overclocks well I think we will see a lot of people jumping in now instead of waiting.

019_word_in_conflict.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mr.City said:
I don't think you need that big a power supply for that build. It's very similar to mine, and 500 watts is suiting me just fine.

$30 off combo with the 300 case would be my guess :D

SapientWolf said:
It also performs pretty well in World in Conflict, which is notoriously CPU bottlenecked. If the 920 overclocks well I think we will see a lot of people jumping in now instead of waiting.

019_word_in_conflict.png

But... all CPUs on there run that at more than 90 fps according to those settings. So there's no point except to show that it does work better.

Only other game TMK is SupCom.

Hell, all we need it the programs to take advantage of the damn cores. Now we are going to have 8 logical cores standard in 2 years or something.

Hazaro said:

vs

Looks nice, just get the 1000 or 800 sticks instead to save a little.
WD6400AAKS instead of the 500 too. A little faster, 140GB more, plus it's only like $10 more.

Plus it now has an awesome sticker!
*cough*

Ok, so I changed it to:

Memory: OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10004GK - Retail

I'm trying to combo the motherboard and memory up together since newegg has a discount and it's cheaper than buying the motherboard and memory separate it seems.

Cheeto

Hazaro said:
Will they?

Unless AMD shows up something I think those will stay around for quite a while. Just my guess though.

For the majority of people who to gaming at 1920 and lower with a single card there's nothing to see here for gaming.
AMD didn't put up really anything spectacular during Core2's timeframe and they still dropped price or got better valued refreshes many times.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
crimsonheadGCN said:
Ok, so I changed it to:

Memory: OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10004GK - Retail

I'm trying to combo the motherboard and memory up together since newegg has a discount and it's cheaper than buying the motherboard and memory separate it seems.

Just buy these suckers. The G.Skill 1000 version is $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

I'm not a fan of OCZ memory, love the company though.

These are good with the P5Q combo as well if you like this color better :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Same price after combo discount.

Cheeto said:
AMD didn't put up really anything spectacular during Core2's timeframe and they still dropped price or got better valued refreshes many times.

Yeah, but I'm always skeptical until I see that price drop chart that always pops up. Gives me months in advance so I don't expect drops until I see it.

On another note, I wonder how Intel's little GPU project is coming along. i7 and their SSD's look pretty snazzy, I can't wait to see what they did now. :D

bee

crimsonheadGCN said:

CASE: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PSU: Antec NeoPower 650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Case + PSU Combo - $105

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Motherboard + Memory Combo - $180

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200 - Retail - $120

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail - $160

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $65

DVD-Burner: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM - $25

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM - $100

Would this make for a good build? Trying to keep it under $850.

i'm surprised by a good build :) i would say the 650w psu is more than you need and the asus p5q pro is also more expensive than you need but yeah thats good

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hazaro said:
$30 off combo with the 300 case would be my guess :D

But... all CPUs on there run that at more than 90 fps according to those settings. So there's no point except to show that it does work better.

Only other game TMK is SupCom.
Well, even though the 280 is killing WiC seeing a spread like that on a CPU bench at 1680x1050 is pretty jawdropping. The overclocked i7 is nearly twice as fast as the slowest Core Quad. The only potential Achilles heel I see is the power draw throttling that will limit extreme overclocking. I'm hoping that more PC games start using all that extra CPU horsepower. It's time we get fire and water that can rival CG.

The SupCom benches looked odd... almost GPU (or memory bandwidth) limited.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Angry Grimace said:
Not if you expect to run an OS that's not free or pirated. :lol

I think a decent estimate for a baseline i7 rig will be:

~$300 for the 920 unit
~$300 for a mobo, which at release will be all x58 unless I'm missing something
~$200 for DDR3 RAM which is quite a bit more expensive than DDR2. I mean, you could get less than 4GB, but it seems kind of wasteful to buy an i7 at launch without 4GB of RAM.
That's $800 right there without a case, HDD, OS, Optical drive, PSU or Graphics cards.

You can't get i7 at 1K unless you skimp, and with a mainboard of 800 bucks, it seems like skimping is the last thing you'd want to do.
I already have a 750Watts PSU, an Antec 900 and a 4870x2, Vista Ultimate, 2*640GB's HDD's, and DVD drive. I am willing to spend one more grand in an upgrade next year. I was thinking about just buying the 3.0GHz Phenom that is coming on january, but I guess I will wait for benchmarks.

edit: Wow, DDR3 is too damn pricey and I need 8GB's. No thank you. I will just go for the newer Phenom.

Top Bottom