• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zoku88 said:
OMG, that would be so hot. :lol :lol

Enough for all your financial assets to simultaneously combust anyway.

Or if you are a reviewer...
Still have to buy the $1,400 PCI-E card to run them though. The $500 cards aren't good enough.

main.jpg

1231ninedrive.jpg

NewEgg
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$54.95

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - RetailProtect Your Investment (expand for options)
$49.99
Subtotal: $104.94

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$84.9

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/4G - Retail
$45.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM
$179.99

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Any Changes Gaf thinks i should make.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shinz Kicker said:
NewEgg
$69.95
$54.95

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - RetailProtect Your Investment (expand for options)
$49.99
Shipping: $0.00

Im Starting to build think i could run a 4870 on the 500 watt Power supply with a quad core?

Easily

Cheeto

Hazaro said:
Enough for all your financial assets to simultaneously combust anyway.

Or if you are a reviewer...
Still have to buy the $1,400 PCI-E card to run them though. The $500 cards aren't good enough.

[IMG.]http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/main.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG.]http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/1231ninedrive.jpg[/IMG]
That's pretty cool... I should take some cell phone pics at work and show you this SATA box I have there. It's a 15 disc, hotswap enclosure, but it all comes out of a SCSI Ultra320 so it's probably not as fast as that setup.

Crateman

Ok GAF, I need your input.

I'm probably building a new rig during December. You can laugh at my nVidia 5200.

Because I'm not in the States, I won't be able to order from NewEgg or any online retailer -the import duties would be prohibitively high-. Feel free to suggest parts, but I'll have to look for them in Brick-n-Mortar stores here.

Take in account that I would like build a very good rig while still not going overboard. I´ll try to explain why I picked those components. I'm planning to use the PC for Gaming, learning 3D modeling and some modding work.

So, let's review:

GPU:

GeForce GTX 280 1Gb PNY

-So I've read that the GTX 280 is the big daddy of GPUs at the moment. I'm whiling to invest in a top of the line GPU so that I can keep using it, with relatively ease, for years. In the NewEgg reviews some people said that there was an overheating problem with that model and brand... have you guys heard anything?

or

GeForce GTX 260 896Mb Gigabyte

I've read that this one also packs quite a punch... and Gigabyte seems like a better brand that PNY. If the difference between this and the 280 is not that abysmal, I might go with it. Also, I don't think that the monitor I'm thinking to buy will pull of 2560X1600.

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

or

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz

The price difference between them in not that high. Should I go with Quad now or should I stick with the Duo?

MoBo:
Intel DP35DP

or

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1

This is very important. The EVGA is twice the Intel. I specifically chose the Intel MoBo because it offers me just what I need. I don't think I'll be jumping on the SLI bandwagon soon, and I don't need the 7.1 sound -I have a Audigy 2 5.1 card and soundsystem that works like a charm and I plan to use it-.

4 Gb. worth of Kingston DDR2 800 MHz. RAM

500 Gb. 7200 RPM Western Digital SATA HD

Acteck Zenus ACG-Z9300 Case -Includes a 600 Watts Power Supply.

Lite-On DVD-RW drive.

Logitec LX310 USB Mouse and Keyboard

Acer LCD X203WB Display 1680x1005

I don't want to spend too much on a LCD monitor. I recently bought a TV and I'm trying to spend as less as I can on my display.

What do you think GAF?

EDIT:

I forgot to mention:

-I won't me fiddling around with overclocking. I have 0 experience with it and I don't want to ruin my rig by doing it now... so if the MoBo I chose is not overclocking friendly, I don't mind at all.

-Should I be worried about the ventilation and cooling? The case includes 2 fans and I don't use the computer for extended periods of time.

-OS-wise, I think I'll be installing Vista 64x in order to get the most out of my rig.

Crateman said:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz

The price difference between them in not that high. Should I go with Quad now or should I stick with the Duo?

Since you are not overclocking, go with the E8400. The extra 2 cores on the Q are only going to help you in very limited circumstances; far more often (esp. in gaming), the extra clock speed on the C2D will prove useful. And gaming quality is typically more important than shaving a few seconds off a scene render in Maya or whatever. You can always wait longer and get the same result there, but with gaming the results are necessarily poorer with less power.

Shinz Kicker said:
NewEgg
$54.95

$49.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$84.9

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/4G - Retail
$45.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM
$179.99

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Any Changes Gaf thinks i should make.

Very nice choices there. Add an aftermarket cooler and clock that Q6600 to 3ghz+ with ease.

mr stroke said:
Anyone here use a 10,000rpm HD? I have been looking to add one of these -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136033

is there a big speed difference between a 7200rpm HD vs 10000rpm drive? worth the money?

The Samsung 1TB F1 is the only drive I'd consider. Super, super quick (much faster than that 74GB Raptor) and basically the best GB per $ ratio on the market.

If you want a small speed increase whilst paying an awful lot more and sacrificing a 1/3 of the space, the 300GB Velocirapter (sp?) is worth considering.

LordK

Since I'm running games at 1080p... how much benefit (guesstimation on fps improvements? Obviously depends on the game.) will I get if I OC the q6600 to 3 GHz versus the q6600 at 2.4? Is it really necessary? My new system will have 4 gigs of ram and some of you know I already have the gtx 260 core 216 oc'd.

I had to go ahead and order my newer mobo/cpu/ram because my current one is flaking as it is.

copybeaver said:
Since I'm running games at 1080p... how much benefit (guesstimation on fps improvements? Obviously depends on the game.) will I get if I OC the q6600 to 3 GHz versus the q6600 at 2.4? Is it really necessary? My new system will have 4 gigs of ram and some of you know I already have the gtx 260 core 216 oc'd.

I had to go ahead and order my newer mobo/cpu/ram because my current one is flaking as it is.

The GTX 260 (216) is a very beefy card, so even at 1080p, an OC to 3ghz will be well worth it. It should manage that with no trouble at all, with very little, if any change to the voltage.

LordK

brain_stew said:
The GTX 260 (216) is a very beefy card, so even at 1080p, an OC to 3ghz will be well worth it. It should manage that with no trouble at all, with very little, if any change to the voltage.

Heh, I was just hoping I could avoid the process of overclocking. Sounds pretty frickin' time consuming by having to change the voltage... test for hours... change voltage... test for hours... and so on. :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
copybeaver said:
Heh, I was just hoping I could avoid the process of overclocking. Sounds pretty frickin' time consuming by having to change the voltage... test for hours... change voltage... test for hours... and so on. :(

Voltage = 1.35V
FSB = 385
Multi = 8

You are done. Takes you 5 minutes.
p.s. Welcome to Intel land :lol Where OC dreams happen :lol

copybeaver said:

Its really not and its actually quite a satisfying experience. If you want to speed up stress testing then download LinX it'll stress your system more in 15 minutes than Prime95 will in 6 hours. If you're at all hesitant about the process then just leave your voltages at stock set the lowest memory multiplier ("1:1" or "2.0" in your BIOS) and just gradually increase your FSB until it can't pass 10 runs of LinX then reduce it by 5mhz and try again. If it works fine you can then run OCCT overnight be happy that you've gained some free performance for half an hours work.

You can always be more adventurous later on.

Edit: Yeah, if you just want a decent safe overclock without putting any time in at all, Hazaro's settings will almost certainly work. The only thing you might have to change is your memory multiplier as the auto setting often chooses a very high setting which may run your RAM faster than it can handle. Setting it to "2.0" for 6400 RAM will sharp sort that out.

LordK

Isn't the multiplier locked? So how could I change the multiplier from 9 to 8? Should I start at the voltage Hazaro recommended and then see if I can lower it some more to save power?

Thanks for the help guys.

MoxManiac

So is 64bit vista yay or ney? I want to build something next year but with ram sizes increasing, 32bit OSes are being left behind. But i'm concerned about compatability with older programs.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hazaro said:
8x Intel X-25 RAID 0 :lol

I already have a fast enough SSD. Storage is all set. Components will be different.

Vista anything is fine right now though it's more practical to go 64. Windows 7 will be out next year.

Cheeto

Check this out. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I thought it was pretty unique when we got it here...thinking about buying it off the company and making a media server off of it...looks like all I'd need is a U320 controller. Regular SATA drives... 12 slots, current drives are 250gb but I'd expect the device might handle more...but right now 3 TB of data is enough, I think.
1118081027a.jpg

1118081028b.jpg

1118081028a.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
copybeaver said:
Isn't the multiplier locked? So how could I change the multiplier from 9 to 8? Should I start at the voltage Hazaro recommended and then see if I can lower it some more to save power?

Locked from going up, not down, iirc.

Opiate

I'm about ready to buy a new PC.

I've considered buying now, but have hesitated because the i7 chipset is just around the corner. Should I buy now when prices are low for amazing hardware, or wait a bit longer?

In other words, is now the right time to buy a new PC? Should I worry my pretty little head at night about the LGA 775 socket going out of style?

copybeaver said:

By locked they mean that it has a maximum, you are free to reduce it to as low as 6. Yes, if its stable at 1.35 volts, by all means try and reduce it.

Cheeto said:
Check this out. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I thought it was pretty unique when we got it here...thinking about buying it off the company and making a media server off of it...looks like all I'd need is a U320 controller. Regular SATA drives... 12 slots, current drives are 250gb but I'd expect the device might handle more...but right now 3 TB of data is enough, I think.
1118081027a.jpg

1118081028b.jpg

1118081028a.jpg

That's an awful lot of space, heat and energy to use for 3 TB. Just buy 3 Samsung 1TB F1s for $330. They'll be much quicker and fit inside any normal case and run on any modern motherboard without any extras.

Opiate said:

I've considered buying now, but have hesitated because the i7 chipset is just around the corner. Should I buy now when prices are low for amazing hardware, or wait a bit longer?

In other words, is now the right time to buy a new PC? Should I worry my pretty little head at night about the LGA 775 socket going out of style?

I wouldn't worry about i7, the DDR3 memory and premium motherboards make it too expensive for serious consideration atm. However, if you're wanting future upgradability you might want to look at the AMD camp. Their new Phneom iis which are 3ghz stock and supposedly clock to 4ghz on air will run on an AM2+ motherboard with DDR2 memory after a simple BIOS flash. So investing in the AMD route right now might not be as bad an idea as it once seemed. The new Phenoms are looking very tasty.

phen24zi1.jpg

phen2ly2.jpg

phen23iy6.jpg

phen22gy8.jpg

zoku88

brain_stew said:
I wouldn't worry about i7, the DDR3 memory and premium motherboards make it too expensive for serious consideration atm. However, if you're wanting future upgradability you might want to look at the AMD camp. Their new Phneom iis which are 3ghz stock and supposedly clock to 4ghz on air will run on an AM2+ motherboard with DDR2 memory after a simple BIOS flash. So investing in the AMD route right now might not be as bad an idea as it once seemed. The new Phenoms are looking very tasty.
Seriously, even though that may seem like a good idea in the short run, you'd have to swtich memory AND motherboards in the future if you upgraded to a intel processor.

Anyway, DDR3 prices will surely fall sharply pretty soon (right now, it's about a $100 prenum for 4GB of RAM) and the motherboards arent THAT expensive (like you can get one for $200, which isn't TOOO bad.)

EDIT: Keep in mind, as well, that if you compare the speed of computers using a Core 2 and i7 core and compare systems with similar processor speeds, you could say that the i7 is cheaper (more expensive motherboard and ram, but cheaper processor.)

zoku88 said:
Seriously, even though that may seem like a good idea in the short run, you'd have to swtich memory AND motherboards in the future if you upgraded to a intel processor.

Anyway, DDR3 prices will surely fall sharply pretty soon (right now, it's about a $100 prenum for 4GB of RAM) and the motherboards arent THAT expensive (like you can get one for $200, which isn't TOOO bad.)

EDIT: Keep in mind, as well, that if you compare the speed of computers using a Core 2 and i7 core and compare systems with similar processor speeds, you could say that the i7 is cheaper (more expensive motherboard and ram, but cheaper processor.)

Well personally I'd stick with 775 at this present time, but at least its good to know that AMD aren't completely abandoning AM2+ with the launch of Deneb. Very good news for those currently on that socket at the very least. You can't just isolate the price of the processor when the memory and motherboards are 3x the price of their 775 equivalents.

Cheeto

brain_stew said:
That's an awful lot of space, heat and energy to use for 3 TB. Just buy 3 Samsung 1TB F1s for $330. They'll be much quicker and fit inside any normal case and run on any modern motherboard without any extras.
Well, the point is I have a bus that is capable of handling 12 drives instead of the 4-6 you get on most motherboards.

zoku88

brain_stew said:
Well personally I'd stick with 775 at this present time, but at least its good to know that AMD aren't completely abandoning AM2+ with the launch of Deneb. Very good news for those currently on that socket at the very least. You can't just isolate the price of the processor when the memory and motherboards are 3x the price of their 775 equivalents.
I didn't isolate the price of the memory/motherboard. I did absolute dollar difference for the system as a whole, which obviously only applied to comparable quad core Core 2's...

I was just stating, the current prices aren't so high to make ppl think "oh, maybe I should get amd this time because intel is too expensive."

Total system cost is pretty much the same as always, unless you don't care about processor speed, but then you could easily just get a dual core Core 2 anyway and you wouldn't have to upgrade *shrug*

lachesis

Probably a stupid question... but will there be more LGA 775 chips developed in the future, or is this the end of the line?

Thing is, I have 2 compupters, both with LGA 775. One of them will get upgraded to X58 board or better, probably late next year - but the other one, I'm just thinking about upgrading the CPU only.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Opiate said:

i7 is pretty cool, but I'd hold off if that's what you want. Early Adopter costs are sky high, and motherboard choice is really a Hobson's Choice, X58 or get a Core2.

zoku88

lachesis said:
Probably a stupid question... but will there be more LGA 775 chips developed in the future, or is this the end of the line?

Thing is, I have 2 compupters, both with LGA 775. One of them will get upgraded to X58 board or better, probably late next year - but the other one, I'm just thinking about upgrading the CPU only.
I think I saw an article yesterday that said that Intel didn't want to kill Penyrn just yet

Angry Grimace

zoku88 said:
I think I saw an article yesterday that said that Intel didn't want to kill Penyrn just yet
I had thought that was more along the lines of continuing to make what they've got but not developing any new Core2s. Maybe I'm wrong.

zoku88

Angry Grimace said:
I had thought that was more along the lines of continuing to make what they've got but not developing any new Core2s. Maybe I'm wrong.
I didn't read it carefully, but Intel tends to manufacturer chips for a while, so I don't see why that would be news.

lachesis

zoku88 said:

I see.... Thanks! :D To be honest, I'd rather buy a new CPU and GPU only for my next upgrade for both of my machines... and wait till the Nehalem become much cheaper too..

Cheeto

dork said:
trying to decide between these 2 cases

The cheaper one has place for alot more fans to keep shit cool..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

any advice?
I prefer having the PSU on the bottom. And more fans doesn't always mean cooler. It's all about air flow. Having efficient and directed current of air is better than creating a whirlwind of air moving in caotic directions within your PC.

dork

Banned
Cheeto said:
I prefer having the PSU on the bottom. And more fans doesn't always mean cooler. It's all about air flow. Having efficient and directed current of air is better than creating a whirlwind of air moving in caotic directions within your PC.

haha, so the cheaper one is as good as the other one? Ive never had psu on bottom before :mystery:

DeadTrees

lachesis said:
Some of the dual- and quad-cores will be getting refreshed versions in January of 2009, with lower TDPs.

lachesis

dork said:
trying to decide between these 2 cases

The cheaper one has place for alot more fans to keep shit cool..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152

any advice?

I have one like the top one, but doesn't have any transparent side but a air duct. I have no complaint - it was very easy to build and work with. I wanted a case with USB on the bottom of the front pannel, so that's one of the reason I went with it too.

Bottom one (cheap one) does seem to have more slots for fans. Bottom PSU is indeed nice, as it will balance your computer more - but top one is pretty "wide" for what it is - and even though it has PSU on top, I'm having no problem whatsoever of tipping over or what not.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
dork said:
ok ordering my parts tonight

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13650756&postcount=6773

Im hearing mixed things, is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003 <--that necessary and will it even fit in my case..and how hard is that to install?

thanks guys again for everyones help and quick responses

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&SubCategory=7&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1
have you considered any of these deals? you seem to be paying alot for your psu and personally i'm a big fan of the antec 300.

if you're not into those, i'd still seriously consider this psu instead of the one you've chosen
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

lachesis

gray_fox224 said:
What are the best ways to clean/dust the inside of the computer?

I once heard to use a blower to blow up the dust inside, then use a vacuum to suck the airborn dust is the best way... perhaps I'm wrong. (I heard the canned air isn't that good for the computer, btw..)

For outer case and filters, I just use my vacuum cleaner.

brain_stew said:
Very nice choices there. Add an aftermarket cooler and clock that Q6600 to 3ghz+ with ease.

Thanks for the info, i had switched back to the e8500 since power would be better on 2 cores than 4. but if i could get 4 cores to around 3. i think i would be way better off in the long run, and would benefit from an X2 card of some type. Since i could pump enough info to really make use of them.

Reneledarker said:
Don't laugh at me GAF...
I need a video card for these thing, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00026837#N841
I want to run Lineage II, http://www.lineage2.com/pds/pds_client.html
Can My PC run it, if so, what video card should i get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245
this should work
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141218
and youll need this too

but.. its looks really grim. even with those it might be lackluster experience. so i would recommend a new computer all together. I have previous post that is pretty much what Extreme Tech put together as the most bang for you buck pc stuff you can get.

Hylian

Opiate said:

Are you willing to build multi gpu rig?, if not then you will need to wait until the gpu power at least doubles from gtx280/4870x2 level to warrant a single gpu nehalem rig , from a performance for buck perspective. In the other hand if you build that single gpu i7 system with only one gpu now, it will only run as fast as any 775 configs in todays games. But in the other hand you have a plattform that has enought cpu power for at least 2 gpu generation upgrades and will run out of steam much later cpu power vice than 775 based configs. And as said here earlier, as the mobo and ram has premium, the 920 cpu itself is quite affordable.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just got an email from mwave.com full of Intel Core i7 goodies, detailing the 3 Bloomfield varieties (750 bucks for the 2.9 GHz CPU) and the Intel and Asus mobos. Also a bunch of DDR3 RAM to choose from.

I felt the upgrade bug coming back so I quickly closed the page.

I'm okay with what I have right.

I'm okay with it.

Need to ignore shiny new objects.

Okay, I feel better now.

Top Bottom