• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

zoku88

Does it reflect poorly on my geek status taht I did not know there was such thing as SATA2? I seriously hadn't even heard about it until the last page of this thread.

EDIT: Looking at wiki, I know why I hadn't heard of it... I thought all SATA was 3Gbi/s >.>

rod

Banned
so i ordered a 4870 today. and 2Gb of ram. and a new MB. the videocard that i chose, whats the opinion here, it was really cheap

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zoku88 said:
Does it reflect poorly on my geek status taht I did not know there was such thing as SATA2? I seriously hadn't even heard about it until the last page of this thread.

EDIT: Looking at wiki, I know why I hadn't heard of it... I thought all SATA was 3Gbi/s >.>

It's some technicality of the name change from SATAIO to SATAII, and it doesn't matter because current HDD's are not hitting those speeds anyway.

Don't worry about it.

zoku88

Hazaro said:
It's some technicality of the name change from SATAIO to SATAII, and it doesn't matter because current HDD's are not hitting those speeds anyway.

Don't worry about it.
I know. I looked it up.

Valtor

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
First, buying an AMD CPU at this point isn't worth it.

Stick to the E7xxx or E8xxx series of Proc's to get the most bang for your buck as far as longevity of the processor.

The cheapest E7xxx(E7200) costs almost double the price of the 5000+ is it that much worth it? (66$ compared to 120$)

VictimOfGrief said:
2ndly,

4850 is a good value, the GTX260 is also a good value. Wait 2 more weeks, and either one will be had for sub $220 bucks. Wait a little while longer... and you can get the 4850x2 if you'd like or the GTX270.

I'm still sold more on Nvidia's drivers, CUDA and PhysX than I am with AMD's Catalyst drivers + Control Panel; Not to mention the editing of the CCC profile in order to cool the card properly.

PSU wise. Go 600W as bare minimum. That will somewhat future proof you for a larger card if you want to upgrade down the road.

Skip getting 2GB of RAM and get 4GB even if you're going to be running a 32-bit OS for now. There's no reason not to with 4GB of DDR2 800 running $70 bucks.

Right now, the cheapest GTX260 is 270$, while I can get a 4850 for 150$. I get your uncertainty about the drivers, but is it really worth the price of admission?

zoku88

Hazaro said:
Your avatar makes me feel like you are a condescending person :(
I would hope that my posts do that by myself

You're prolly partially right. When it comes to computers, I'm often condescending to people. A lot of my friends are computer ignorant. But I wasn't trying to be this time :(

I do have to ask, why does my avatar make you feel that way?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Valtor said:
The cheapest E7xxx(E7200) costs almost double the price of the 5000+ is it that much worth it? (66$ compared to 120$)

Right now, the cheapest GTX260 is 270$, while I can get a 4850 for 150$. I get your uncertainty about the drivers, but is it really worth the price of admission?

Intel's 45nm blows away AMD, if you want you can get an E2180 for $70 and clock it to 3.0Ghz. Stock 2.0 is fine too, I guess. If you aren't overclocking AMD is still a viable options, esp with cheaper motherboards, but it's so easy now it's hard for me not to reccomend it to everyone :lol

imo the GT is still a great buy at $120.

zoku88 said:
I would hope that my posts do that by myself

You're prolly partially right. When it comes to computers, I'm often condescending to people. A lot of my friends are computer ignorant. But I wasn't trying to be this time :(

I do have to ask, why does my avatar make you feel that way?

Your avatar helps, not sure why. Maybe it's the eyes.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
if you're not going to overclock, there is no reason to avoid AMD cpu's.

otake said:
if you're not going to overclock, there is no reason to avoid AMD cpu's.

Anyone who doesn't overclock is losing enormous performance increases. If you are building a PC from newegg theres no excuse not to overlock, its easy to do. If you don't mess with voltages there is zero damage you can do to your CPU, it'll just crash constantly.

Valtor said:

Yes.... oh my gosh yes..... Not even a comparison. Even at stock speeds if you never overclock the 7xxx craps over the 5000+ any day or night of the week.

So---- The video card is the $620,000 question.

With the driver issues that ATI has always had (spotty I guess is the best word) Nvidia does have solid drivers and performance. The trade off is if ATI can hammer out solid drivers in the Catalyst 8.x series. If not, then you're left in a hard position since your $150 dollar card isn't hitting it full potential.

I'm hedging my bets that in the next couple weeks, the video card price drops are going to be so absurd, people will by whatever they want for a decent price. All depends on the timing of when you want to build your system.

Either way, 4850 or 260 will give you max everything on games like Far Cry 2 and Crysis Warhead.

SRG01

Esperado said:
It's not that they're bad, it's that Intel's Core2 series has been ridiculously good.

This is it right here. The old 939 socket AMDs were notoriously good at overclocking. The Black Editions aren't shabby at all. There've been reports of the new Phenoms undergoing ridiculous overclocks too (9950BE surprisingly takes up less power than a 9850BE, IIRC!).

But like he said, Intel has the edge because any of the Core variants are extremely good at overclocking. The E4xxx back in the day was nuts.

TheHeretic said:
Anyone who doesn't overclock is losing enormous performance increases. If you are building a PC from newegg theres no excuse not to overlock, its easy to do. If you don't mess with voltages there is zero damage you can do to your CPU, it'll just crash constantly.

I'd have to disagree. Any increase in clock speed will result in increased power consumption and therefore potential thermal damage, regardless of voltages.

Jirotrom

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

This is what im buying guys... after rebates its about $650.00 spent, I'm purchasing from Newegg, and I believe that if there are any price drops within 30days, they will refund money. Correct me if I'm wrong please:D
Also, what do you guys think?

Cheeto

SRG01 said:
I'd have to disagree. Any increase in clock speed will result in increased power consumption and therefore potential thermal damage, regardless of voltages.
Not to mention system stability. It takes a lot of effort to find a balance between the power and stability when it comes to overclocking. You might think your stable after running memtest and such, but then you fire up TF2 and play for 30 minutes, and BOOM crash...reboot.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Valtor said:

I don't want to go off on a tangent about the GTX 260, because I'm sure there are a lot of people who are sick of me doing that, but I will say this: GTX 260 runs cool and overclocks extremely well. You can easily match a 280's performance with a decent overclock.

Zzoram

The 4800s run cool as well when you fix the fan profile.

At least with the 4800s, there isn't the manufacturing problem causing them to fail like the GTX200s. It's less of a gamble, and it's rewarding ATI for offering a great product at a better price.

Remember guys, nVidia was trying to squeeze $450 out of you for a GTX260 just a few weeks ago. I'm sure many people went with the 4800s just on principle.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
At least with the 4800s, there isn't the manufacturing problem causing them to fail like the GTX200s. It's less of a gamble, and it's rewarding ATI for offering a great product at a better price.

FUD ALERT. Nvidia GPUs with confirmed issues are of the laptop variety. Even if you were to believe the rumor about the G92 and G94, that still wouldn't include the 200 series.

You're misinformed.

Zzoram said:
Remember guys, nVidia was trying to squeeze $450 out of you for a GTX260 just a few weeks ago. I'm sure many people went with the 4800s just on principle.

The 260's debuted at $399.99. It's not Nvidia's fault that early demand drove the price up.

Cheeto

Chiggs said:
I don't want to go off on a tangent about the GTX 260, because I'm sure there are a lot of people who are sick of me doing that, but I will say this: GTX 260 runs cool and overclocks extremely well. You can easily match a 280's performance with a decent overclock.
I installed a $30 cooler on my 4850 and it runs at about 40c now, and overclocks like a beast...just saying.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Cheeto said:
I installed a $30 cooler on my 4850 and it runs at about 40c now, and overclocks like a beast...just saying.

That's cool; it's just that some people don't want to have to do that. The 260's cooler is good right out of the box, and allows for some amazing overclocks. Just saying.

Cheeto

Chiggs said:
That's cool; it's just that some people don't want to have to do that. The 260's cooler is good right out of the box, and allows for some amazing overclocks. Just saying.
Nothing wrong with that. You get what you pay for; sometimes you can save a little money if you put in more effort.

Zzoram

Chiggs said:
FUD ALERT.

nVidia announced they are taking a $200million hit in advance for warranty coverage of defective parts. They wouldn't do that if there was no problem, just like Microsoft did the $1billion hit for replacing 360s.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-last-quarter-due-to-manufacturing-issue.html

"The single most important factor that contributed to that loss, of course, is the $196 million warranty charge NVIDIA admitted it was taking a month ago. The company fielded several questions regarding the size and nature of that problem and once again reiterated that the manufacturing issue in question affected a relatively small batch of parts, that the company remains fully committed to repairing those parts, and is working closely with all of its OEM partners."

Relatively small batch = $200million? Right.

Zzoram

Cheeto said:

You can also just increase the fan speed of the stock cooler above 10% and pay nothing extra.

Cheeto

Zzoram said:
You can also just increase the fan speed of the stock cooler above 10% and pay nothing extra.
Still doesn't get you as low as aftermarket coolers...and not nearly as silent. Not to mention the temperature swings when using stock cooling, on the aftermarket I don't break 50C under load, that's only a 9 degree swing at max. Running at 40c in a 80+F room in the heat of summer is pretty good I think. When the weather cools I expect it to drop even more.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
nVidia announced they are taking a $200million hit in advance for warranty coverage of defective parts. They wouldn't do that if there was no problem, just like Microsoft did the $1billion hit for replacing 360s.

Yes, due to laptop parts and (grain of salt), SUPPOSEDLY, repeat: SUPPOSEDLY, the G92 and G94 series.

Jirotrom

Jirotrom said:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

This is what im buying guys... after rebates its about $650.00 spent, I'm purchasing from Newegg, and I believe that if there are any price drops within 30days, they will refund money. Correct me if I'm wrong please:D
Also, what do you guys think?

anybody?...Im about to pull the trigger on this purchase.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
Hmm I guess you're right there. Those are 8000/9000 series parts.

I have put my GTX 260 through hell, and it's been rock solid. AMD really has stolen the show in some ways, thanks to the initially high prices of the 200 series. But now that the prices have dropped dramatically, I think it's time for objectivity to make a comeback.

I don't think either series will do you wrong.

Zzoram

Xyphie said:
I'd get a board based on the P45 chipset. It's more future proof.

Actually it isn't. The next generation of Intel CPUs (consumer models next spring/summer) will be on a new socket anyways, and use DDR3 RAM, meaning you'll need a new motherboard/RAM whether you get a P35 or P45 chipset.

At this point, his current shopping cart is great. The CPU cooler is a good idea if he's going to overclock, but otherwise unnecessary.

SRG01

The $200 million warranty charge is for all of the G84/86 chips that had faulty packaging for their notebook lines.

The rest is just bullshit INQ stories. The desktop lines have totally different thermal profiles and packaging. And to elaborate: packaging refers to the wire bonding, silicon housing, and so forth. The chips are fine.

Esperado said:
I believe it was the G84 and G86 chips.

INQ posted a story the other day about G92 chips. Take it with a grain of salt as, well, it's INQ.

Esperado

Zzoram said:
Actually it isn't. The next generation of Intel CPUs will be on a new socket, meaning you'll need a new motherboard.

At this point, his current shopping cart is great. The CPU cooler is a good idea if he's going to overclock, but otherwise unnecessary.

I think he meant for PCI Express 2.0.

Epix

Jirotrom said:
Im covered there already. Also I do plan on some light overclocking.
Remember, you can't take a HDD used on another computer and move it over to this one without a complete reformat.

Jirotrom

Epix said:
Remember, you can't take a HDD used on another computer and move it over to this one without a complete reformat.
seriously...Shit, ok well then i need a way to back up or transfer 400 gigs of info to the new one...

Zzoram

Esperado said:
I think he meant for PCI Express 2.0.

That's also not an issue. None of the current cards are bottlenecked by PCI Ex 1.0, and by the time that's an issue, he'll probably going to the next Intel CPU socket anyways.

Ezza

Need some help picking a company. I'm trying to decide between HIS, Powercolor, and Sapphire and since all the 4870 x2's seem to be reference design I want to know which company has the best warranty, service, and reliability?

Cheeto

Epix said:
thats not true at all. You can install a clean windows OS, while keeping the original filesystem intact. All your data will be there, you can't use old installed programs and such, but the data is there.

Xyphie

Zzoram said:
Actually it isn't. The next generation of Intel CPUs will be on a new socket, meaning you'll need a new motherboard.

I know Core i7 will have a new socket.

P45 has PCI Express 2.0, I know it's a minimal/no increase over 1.1 at the moment, but it could make a small difference if he wanted to get a new card down the line. Still, P45 has many improvements over P35 like 65nm vs 90nm process which could make a difference if he wants to overclock his system. There's no reason to get a year old chipset when you can get a brand new when they are basically the same price.

Epix

Cheeto said:
thats not true at all. You can install a clean windows OS, while keeping the original filesystem intact. All your data will be there, you can't use old installed programs and such, but the data is there.
Well that depends on the OS he's coming from and going to.

Jirotrom

Antagon said:
I don't see any psu in your list. Do you have a useful one or did you forget it?

Also, I'd recommend switching the 4850 with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127370

Only slightly more expensive and it comes with a better cooler.
I was grabbing the other one because it came with a free game... is the extra cooling that much better?

Xyphie said:
I know Core i7 will have a new socket.

P45 has PCI Express 2.0, I know it's a minimal/no increase over 1.1 at the moment, but it could make a small difference if he wanted to get a new card down the line. Still, P45 has many improvements over P35 like 65nm vs 90nm process which could make a difference if he wants to overclock his system. There's no reason to get a year old chipset when you can get a brand new when they are basically the same price.
could you please point out some boards...

Xyphie

Jirotrom said:
could you please point out some boards...

Do you plan on overclocking your system? If you don't you'll be fine with one of the boards around $100 or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130181

I'm using this one at the moment and I'm happy with it, it overclocks pretty well and it was cheap. Most of the boards around this price class are pretty much the same feature wise just manufactured by different vendors.

If you're into hardcore overclocking you might want to get one of the boards with higher quality components and better cooling though. I've heard a lot of good things about ASUS P5Q Pro/Deluxe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297

yacobod

Banned
my desktop at home is nearing 4 years old in about october, i was thinking about upgrading this fall/winter in prep for warhammer, lich king, starcraft 2, diablo 3, finally play crysis, and other pc gaming needs

i was playing on newegg and put together a really nice machine for like $1200, reusing my 24" monitor, after mail in rebates and shit the price drops considerably

i've never built a pc before, so that's my only worry, but everyone i've talked to says its quite simple really

Top Bottom