• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

zoku88

what AV program are you using?

And there's always some false positives. It's hard to be 100% right all of the time.
JSnake said:
Don't buy an AMD CPU. I know, back in the day they were the king. But that's Intel's spot now. I'd shoot for the Core 2 Duo E8400. Really fast and quite cheap.

Your PSU looks fine.
E8400 isn't "$100 cheap"...

Valtor

Banned
JSnake said:
Don't buy an AMD CPU. I know, back in the day they were the king. But that's Intel's spot now. I'd shoot for the Core 2 Duo E8400. Really fast and quite cheap.

Your PSU looks fine.

Everything's relative. newegg has your cpu at 170$. The CPUs I showed you are between 70-100$. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I am open to whatever you guys proposes, but please stay consistent about what I'm asking?

Also, the PSU calculator gives me a rating of 432 W when I use the 5600+, Crossfire'd 4850, 85% TDP and 90% load. If I use 100%/100%, I get 507 W. I suppose I should be alright?

Edit : And what if I got a 500 W PSU? :p

JSnake

zoku88 said:
what AV program are you using?

And there's always some false positives. It's hard to be 100% right all of the time.

E8400 isn't "$100 cheap"...

I thought it was $120 or something... Maybe I'm confusing it for the E7200

edit: Valtor, don't just look at the watts. You want to pay special attention to how many amps there are on the +12V rail.

Strawman

I decided to get back into PC gaming so bought a system with a radeon 4870. Ive just been pottering about, looking at the card online and I notice it doesnt have a VGA port (has 2 DVI's and S-video). My monitor is a CRT that isnt ready for the scrap yard just yet (hansol 900p) but am I screwed or what? Have VGA ports been abandoned now?

I do have a HDTV so can play on that if need be, but still, I was looking forward to playing games on higher than 720p resolution!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JSnake said:
I thought it was $120 or something... Maybe I'm confusing it for the E7200

edit: Valtor, don't just look at the watts. You want to pay special attention to how many amps there are on the +12V rail.

E7200 is $120

Strawman said:
I decided to get back into PC gaming so bought a system with a radeon 4870. Ive just been pottering about, looking at the card online and I notice it doesnt have a VGA port (has 2 DVI's and S-video). My monitor is a CRT that isnt ready for the scrap yard just yet (hansol 900p) but am I screwed or what? Have VGA ports been abandoned now?

I do have a HDTV so can play on that if need be, but still, I was looking forward to playing games on higher than 720p resolution!

New GPU's ship usually with 2 DVI -> VGA adapters. IF they don't have one, you can buy them for $4 shipped from monoprice.com

VictimOfGrief said:
Uhh... no. XFX doesn't deserve to stand in the same league as eVGA or BFG after the craptastical mess I just went through with my.... *Gasp!!* bad 9600GT card.

Elaborate

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Does anyone know the video card equivalent of a 8800GT for ATI and it's price/performance level? Which one gives you more bang for your buck these days and is the better purchase?

JSnake

Valtor said:
What's a good amount for 2x 4850?

The 500 watt PSU would be one include with a case, so probably made on the very cheap...

prolly 600 - 650 W with about 38 - 40A on the 12V rail

JSnake

Shaheed79 said:
Does anyone know the video card equivalent of a 8800GT for ATI and it's price/performance level? Which one gives you more bang for your buck these days and is the better purchase?

Probably the HD 4850. Amazing card for only $150

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Valtor said:
What's a good amount for 2x 4850?

The 500 watt PSU would be one include with a case, so probably made on the very cheap...

Edit : this is the one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144232

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024

Antec Earth Watts are nice, free case too ;)

I'd go for the 4850X2 actually, only need a single slot and the same price as 2.

You might be cutting it close on the power though, I'd look into it.

Shaheed79 said:

HD3870, 4850 is better if you want to spend a little more

poweld

Hey GAF. I'm going to be upgrading my rig soon, and wanted your opinion. Well, not so much my rig, more my monitor and video card. The rest I'm fairly OK with.

First of all, a warning: I bought the Hanns-G 19" widescreen lcd monitor a few months back, thinking it'd be a decent low price choice. NO. The monitor is insanely bright, and the colors are impossible to get right. I've fiddled with it for so long, and the thing still makes my eyes bleed a little staring at it.

I want to get a really great monitor, and not have to worry about it for a long, long time. As such, I've been looking at the Samsung 245T. Does anyone around have one (or more) of these, and want to share their experience?

Second, the video card. My GeForce 7600GS has been a good soldier, but when I have issues running TF2 at silky smooth framerate, I'm not a happy boy. I don't need top of the line, just something good enough to make me feel wowed. Based on responses on this thread, it seems the 4850 is right up my alley- cheap with a big boost (from where I'm standing).

Thanks!

Valtor

Banned
Problem is, I want to get the second 4850 only later, and another problem is, I want a HTPC case, to fit in my media center room :D

... but now I can't seem to find a cheap PSU that does the job.....

I shouldn't get the 550W one, even though the PSU calculator in the OP tells me that my system should run at 391W when crossfire'd?

JSnake

Valtor said:
Problem is, I want to get the second 4850 only later, and another problem is, I want a HTPC case, to fit in my media center room :D

... but now I can't seem to find a cheap PSU that does the job.....

I shouldn't get the 550W one, even though the PSU calculator in the OP tells me that my system should run at 391W when crossfire'd?

The problem with that calculator is that it doesn't tell you how many amps on the 12V rail you need. So it's basically useless.

Valtor

Banned
argh. I guess I'll have to shop another psu then.

(actually, I knd of thought it wouldn't be powerful enough, but I hoped....)

Thans JSnake ;)

JSnake

Don't know the prices, but Corsair's PSUs are AAA quality. Do a Newegg search for "600VX". Again, I don't know the prices, but the VX line of 600W+ is great and would probably handle 3x GTX 280s.

JSnake

JSnake said:
Don't know the prices, but Corsair's PSUs are AAA quality. Do a Newegg search for "600VX". Again, I don't know the prices, but the VX line of 600W+ is great and would probably handle 3x GTX 280s.

Sorry I meant 600TX. Actually, go to the PSU section of Newegg, go to the Corsair section. And scroll down to the 600TX. I don't know if it's 600TX, 620TX, or 650TX, but it's $109. Get that one. 51A on the 12V rail ftw.

edit: OK, it's the CMPSU-650TX.

Valtor

Banned
zoku88 said:
But I don't think that's coming out for quite a while, though...

Well the 4870x2 is already out, so i don,t see why not...

JSnake : it's a bit depressing to pay more for your PSu than or your CPU...

JSnake

Valtor said:

Yeah but it's not much more than the Rosewill you were considering, is it? Still, like the OP says, the PSU is something you DEFINITELY can't skimp on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
poweld said:
Second, the video card. My GeForce 7600GS has been a good soldier, but when I have issues running TF2 at silky smooth framerate, I'm not a happy boy. I don't need top of the line, just something good enough to make me feel wowed. Based on responses on this thread, it seems the 4850 is right up my alley- cheap with a big boost (from where I'm standing).

Thanks!

8800GT/3870/4850 will all be very nice.

I get 100+ fps on TF2 maxed at 1680x1050 with my GT.

zoku88 said:
But I don't think that's coming out for quite a while, though...

4870x2 now, 4850x2 later, my bad. I haven't been keeping up with the new tech as much because I don't want to spend money upgrading :lol

How much later are you planning to upgrade?

Normally it's better simple to upgrade single cards than to buy a single, then buy another one later. Plus you save money on the motherboard.

A 4850 now will max any game at 1600 resolution. (Besides Crysis / Texture mods)

Valtor said:

:lol I felt the same buying my 520HX for $140, but it's the lifeblood of the system. I know that if a power spike hits, it will give it's life to protect my system and that it's won't die on me under my usage habits.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
Free 8G flash drive w/ purchase, while supploes last! :lol

Valtor

Banned
JSnake said:
Yeah but it's not much more than the Rosewill you were considering, is it? Still, like the OP says, the PSU is something you DEFINITELY can't skimp on.

The rosewill was 60 with 30$ MIR, thats why it was so interesting... but yeah you're right, i'll have to either open up the wallets or skimp on something else :p

zoku88

Valtor said:

Well, it's coming out sometime, but we haven't heard any rumours. I swear we've had rumours about the 4870X2 releasing in August since the end of June.

Valtor

Banned
Hazaro said:
How much later are you planning to upgrade?

Normally it's better simple to upgrade single cards than to buy a single, then buy another one later. Plus you save money on the motherboard.

A 4850 now will max any game at 1600 resolution. (Besides Crysis / Texture mods)

I was planning to upgrade in a year and a half? two years?

JSnake

Valtor said:
The rosewill was 60 with 30$ MIR, thats why it was so interesting... but yeah you're right, i'll have to either open up the wallets or skimp on something else :p

Skimp on the case. Probably the safest thing to skimp on.

Valtor

Banned
true... but the I won't have my beautiful HTPC set-up!

Who am I kidding, I won't put 50$ more because the box is horizontal instead of vertical, I'm a cheapskate!

~Kinggi~

Banned
So am I correct in the rationale that a 4870x2 for a gamer who uses a 1680 res monitor will still benefit from that card due to being able to pump the details and AA and AF to max levels?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
~Kinggi~ said:
So am I correct in the rationale that a 4870x2 for a gamer who uses a 1680 res monitor will still benefit from that card due to being able to pump the details and AA and AF to max levels?

You'll spank every game out now and coming out this year at that res except for that one game.

zoku88

~Kinggi~ said:
Im hoping with my new computer ill be able to play it at very high at 30 fps.
zxld1g.gif

Didn't see any 1680x1050 benchmarks, but I would think high on 1680 would be about, 40 or so fps. Very high would prolly put you below 30 a lot.

Just a guess...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
~Kinggi~ said:

Eh... I already max every game at good fps with a 8800GT, honestly, you really only need 1 imo.

Unless you HAVE TO play Stalker/Oblivion with 9 texture mods.

Jirotrom

OK GAF... I'm upgrading, I need a $500 PC. I have the DVD drive, sound card, monitor, speakers and case ready. My friend states I will need a new power supply.
So basically I'm thinking of getting the Radeon 4850, so that leaves $300.
I have about 400 gigs oh HD space but its all SATA 1 and my buddy says it would be good to pick up some SATA2 drives. I have no clue as to the processor, ram, power supply, and MB I need. Help!

SRG01

I must be the only guy here that plays at 1280x800. :lol

Jirotrom said:
OK GAF... I'm upgrading, I need a $500 PC. I have the DVD drive, sound card, monitor, speakers and case ready. My friend states I will need a new power supply.
I have about 400 gigs oh HD space but its all SATA 1 and my buddy says it would be good to pick up some SATA2 drives. I have no clue as to the processor, ram, power supply, and MB I need. Help!

If you want to OC, then try a E2/4xxx paired with a good heatsink. You'll need a good power supply though.

If you don't want to OC, stick with a AMD X2 4800+/5000+. Good bang for the buck and will outperform E2/4xxx at stock.

Motherboard is irrelevant unless, again, you're overclocking. Figure out how much RAM you want (typically 2-4GB) and speed, and spec a motherboard to that. Personally, I avoid MSI and stick to something like ASUS or Gigabyte (if you like weird layouts :lol).

Power supply... I'm not sure on, because of the 4850 and I'm not familiar with that card. I'm guessing a 500W supply may be enough for your needs!

aeolist

Banned
Jirotrom said:
SATA2 is not a big deal, stick with your hard drives unless you need more space.

Valtor said:
Hi GAF,
90$ HTPC case (found on newegg)
100$ motherboard that supports crossfire (found on newegg)
cheapest RAM I can find :p (probably 1 or 2 corsair 2GB 667Mhz for 30$ or 60$)
already owned dvd drive
already owned hard drive

Is there anything I do that's a big mistake?

First, buying an AMD CPU at this point isn't worth it.

Stick to the E7xxx or E8xxx series of Proc's to get the most bang for your buck as far as longevity of the processor.

2ndly,

4850 is a good value, the GTX260 is also a good value. Wait 2 more weeks, and either one will be had for sub $220 bucks. Wait a little while longer... and you can get the 4850x2 if you'd like or the GTX270.

I'm still sold more on Nvidia's drivers, CUDA and PhysX than I am with AMD's Catalyst drivers + Control Panel; Not to mention the editing of the CCC profile in order to cool the card properly.

PSU wise. Go 600W as bare minimum. That will somewhat future proof you for a larger card if you want to upgrade down the road.

Skip getting 2GB of RAM and get 4GB even if you're going to be running a 32-bit OS for now. There's no reason not to with 4GB of DDR2 800 running $70 bucks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jirotrom said:

SATA2 :lol

Your HDD is fine.

$120 E7200
$45 2GB G.Skill
$50 Rosewill 500W / Antec Earthwatts
$85 DS3L or some $85 Gigabyte board.

Jirotrom

SRG01 said:
I must be the only guy here that plays at 1280x800. :lol

If you want to OC, then try a E2/4xxx paired with a good heatsink. You'll need a good power supply though.

If you don't want to OC, stick with a AMD X2 4800+/5000+. Good bang for the buck and will outperform E2/4xxx at stock.

Motherboard is irrelevant unless, again, you're overclocking. Figure out how much RAM you want (typically 2-4GB) and speed, and spec a motherboard to that. Personally, I avoid MSI and stick to something like ASUS or Gigabyte (if you like weird layouts :lol).

Power supply... I'm not sure on, because of the 4850 and I'm not familiar with that card. I'm guessing a 500W supply may be enough for your needs!
I dont want to overclock at all... im done with all that, I just want a great pc that will run COH at 1080p with max settings. I have a 600 watt rosewill power supply, but wan't sure if it would connect to the 4850 well. I'd like to build a system that runs releltively cool at factory settings.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jirotrom said:
I dont want to overclock at all... im done with all that, I just want a great pc that will run COH at 1080p with max settings. I have a 600 watt rosewill power supply, but wan't sure if it would connect to the 4850 well. I'd like to build a system that runs releltively cool at factory settings.

Rosewill 600w is fine.

Keep in mind you are running 1920x1080, you might not run max to get what framerate you want.

Jirotrom

Hazaro said:
Rosewill 600w is fine.

Keep in mind you are running 1920x1080, you might not run max to get what framerate you want.
really, for COH, shit the game is old too... what graphics card do I need.

Jirotrom

VictimOfGrief said:
First, buying an AMD CPU at this point isn't worth it.

Stick to the E7xxx or E8xxx series of Proc's to get the most bang for your buck as far as longevity of the processor.

2ndly,

4850 is a good value, the GTX260 is also a good value. Wait 2 more weeks, and either one will be had for sub $220 bucks. Wait a little while longer... and you can get the 4850x2 if you'd like or the GTX270.

I'm still sold more on Nvidia's drivers, CUDA and PhysX than I am with AMD's Catalyst drivers + Control Panel; Not to mention the editing of the CCC profile in order to cool the card properly.

PSU wise. Go 600W as bare minimum. That will somewhat future proof you for a larger card if you want to upgrade down the road.

Skip getting 2GB of RAM and get 4GB even if you're going to be running a 32-bit OS for now. There's no reason not to with 4GB of DDR2 800 running $70 bucks.
you can get the 4850 for 150 now...

Top Bottom