• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
1znrdy0.jpg

Davidion

VictimOfGrief said:
**UPDATED BUILD**

MSI X48C Platinum LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controler/Heatsink

Subtotal: $1,027.93

*Future Proof*
more like future ***POOF!!!*** :lol

Any feedback guys---- go for it. Should be ordering this one in the next couple of weeks.

Wait, didn't you just do a build a couple of months ago...?

Blackface

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
**UPDATED BUILD**

MSI X48C Platinum LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controler/Heatsink

Subtotal: $1,027.93

*Future Proof*
more like future ***POOF!!!*** :lol

Any feedback guys---- go for it. Should be ordering this one in the next couple of weeks.

I would get this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045

and this Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188

and this over the Tuniq Tower

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

But thats because I like to save money. Your build is good, and if you plan to OC, then skip the ADATA ram I suggested. I would prob pick up some Crucials/Mushkin

rod

Banned
Cheeto said:
WOW...I've got to ask...what application inspired you to spend $1000 on a processor?

rod said:
thanks, im really out of touch with this stuff. when i got my pc built last week, i said to the guy give me the best of everything, but give me a mid range videocard. so i havent really done any modding or anything as of yet

nothing inspired me...i just wanted a future proof pc but i wanted a video card that i could change out after i found what i really wanted. it was a tossup between the 9800gx2 and the 4870x2.

and the 4870x2 won out :D

Antec Sonata III 500W - Boîtier moyen tour 79,39 €

ASUSTeK P5Q PRO (Intel P45 Express) - ATX - (garantie 3 ans) 91,96 €

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (version boîte) + Pâte thermique Arctic-Cooling MX-1 118,64 €

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s - 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo Serial ATA II (boite) 100,29 €

Corsair XMS2 DHX 4 Go (kit 2x 2 Go) DDR2-SDRAM PC6400 CL4 - TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (garantie 10 ans par Corsair) 83,07 €

LG GH22NP20BB - DVD(+/-)RW/RAM 22/8/22/6/12x DL(+/-) 16/12x CD-RW 48/32/48x IDE Noir (bulk) 20,82 €

Total : 619,01 €

I don't know what cg to buy with this config.

My choices are the basic Sapphire 4850 at 150 € , the Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot Fansink at 155 €, the sapphire 4850 toxic at 190 or the 4870 at 235 €.

Davidion said:
Wait, didn't you just do a build a couple of months ago...?
Yup, selling that one to a friend of mine that wants to buy it he was so impressed with it. :lol

Trax416 said:
I would get this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045

and this Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188

and this over the Tuniq Tower

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

But thats because I like to save money. Your build is good, and if you plan to OC, then skip the ADATA ram I suggested. I would prob pick up some Crucials/Mushkin

Thanks for the feedback Trax.

That DFI board is pretty bitchin' considering it does the Cross-Fire link @ 16x2. My only concern is lack of DDR3 support which I get on the MSI board. However in doing a little research on that MSI board it sounds like the BIOS is pretty F'ed up for any type of OC'ing on DDR2 & DDR3 right now.

choices choices....

Oh and I've got that A-DATA ram in my system right now which is fine, but I think will be sticking with the OCZ for tweaking later on.

Wallach

VictimOfGrief said:
Yup, selling that one to a friend of mine that wants to buy it he was so impressed with it. :lol

Thanks for the feedback Trax.

That DFI board is pretty bitchin' considering it does the Cross-Fire link @ 16x2. My only concern is lack of DDR3 support which I get on the MSI board. However in doing a little research on that MSI board it sounds like the BIOS is pretty F'ed up for any type of OC'ing on DDR2 & DDR3 right now.

choices choices....

Oh and I've got that A-DATA ram in my system right now which is fine, but I think will be sticking with the OCZ for tweaking later on.

I'd go with his suggestion; DDR3 is really not much of a performance boost for the cost hike they want for the stuff. By the time it's at a logical price point you'll probably want a new board anyway. Plus, the DFI Dark X38 (Lanparty) is one of the best CrossfireX boards out there.

Wallach said:
I'd go with his suggestion; DDR3 is really not much of a performance boost for the cost hike they want for the stuff. By the time it's at a logical price point you'll probably want a new board anyway. Plus, the DFI Dark X38 (Lanparty) is one of the best CrossfireX boards out there.
Yeah that's what I'm reading up on. Damn impressive board.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Visiontek version comes with a bunch of adapters, full Guild Wars Trilogy, POP two thrones, and some Ruby thing. The one that is most important to me is lifetime warranty.
dyracg.jpg

Comparison to GX2 which I'm selling. The GX2 is actually bigger. But the X2 seems heavier.
2a2ddi.jpg

Now my insides look like this.
iedoqg.jpg

Kinda new to the crossfire thing. Do I have to enable it or something? And how do I control fan speed? I know it's a pain.

Me_Marcadet said:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (version boîte) + Pâte thermique Arctic-Cooling MX-1 118,64 €

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s - 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo Serial ATA II (boite) 100,29 €

Corsair XMS2 DHX 4 Go (kit 2x 2 Go) DDR2-SDRAM PC6400 CL4 - TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (garantie 10 ans par Corsair) 83,07 €

LG GH22NP20BB - DVD(+/-)RW/RAM 22/8/22/6/12x DL(+/-) 16/12x CD-RW 48/32/48x IDE Noir (bulk) 20,82 €

My choices are the basic Sapphire 4850 at 150 € , the Sapphire 4850 Dual Slot Fansink at 155 €, the sapphire 4850 toxic at 190 or the 4870 at 235 €.

I just built a new comp with the same case/psu, cpu, and mobo, and I'm really happy with it. I went with the Asus4850 myself, and everything works like a charm.

SRG01

Your startup still has remnants of the original nvidia drivers.

Use msconfig, or go through services/registry to remove them.

edit: Is that the skyline from Victoria Peak in HK?

Kadey said:
Something I have no idea what to do.
Go download this from Guru3D.
Link : http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Reboot into safe mode with networking.
Install and run the app for about 5 mins. Kill the process from task manager.

Reboot into windows normally.

Download the latest Cat. drivers WHQL or Beta... your choice.
Vista 32-bit
Vista 64-bit

Install, reboot.

should be all set. Enjoy your new 4870x2. :D

* Edit : Sent you a PM with this info Kadey.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah but I did all that.

Uninstalled drivers. Booted and used driver sweeper. Got the card installed and installed 8.8 beta. I still got that message.

Kadey said:
Yeah but I did all that.

Uninstalled drivers. Booted and used driver sweeper. Got the card installed and installed 8.8 beta. I still got that message.
Are the Nvidia drivers un-installed from Programs and Features under control panel?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Display settings.

Anyway, I just screwed myself up big time. I got rid of everything and couldn't connect to the net. Good thing for system restore. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, considering ordering MAAAYBE tonight...I've probably waited too late in the week though. So stupid question as a first-time Newegg person, once I finish my build: How many days does it usually take, and what's your best option if you live in an apartment and get home from work late (6ish or later)? I'd be home Friday and Saturday this week, but I figure you can't depend on when it'll be delivered.

Blizzard

Banned
And another question...reading a big list of Vista comparisons, I notice the fax and scan features aren't in Vista home premium. But, apparently camera and scanning can be done from within a photo tool somehow in home premium.

What really concerns me is this: "Control over installation of device drivers" is something that home premium says it doesn't have. Anyone know about that, or have comments on home premium?

dLMN8R

Blizzard said:
Okay, considering ordering MAAAYBE tonight...I've probably waited too late in the week though. So stupid question as a first-time Newegg person, once I finish my build: How many days does it usually take, and what's your best option if you live in an apartment and get home from work late (6ish or later)? I'd be home Friday and Saturday this week, but I figure you can't depend on when it'll be delivered.
Newegg gets your stuff to you within 3 business days from the day you order it, no matter what shipping method you choose. If you ordered tonight, for example, then you should get your stuff by Tuesday (Monday's off due to labor day). *MAYBE* Wednesday next week if they don't get everything shipped out on time, but Tuesday can be guaranteed if you pay an extra few bucks for a rushed shipment.

Blizzard said:
And another question...reading a big list of Vista comparisons, I notice the fax and scan features aren't in Vista home premium. But, apparently camera and scanning can be done from within a photo tool somehow in home premium.

What really concerns me is this: "Control over installation of device drivers" is something that home premium says it doesn't have. Anyone know about that, or have comments on home premium?
Drivers install automatically in Home Premium just like any others. I can plug my camera into the computer without using the CD that came with it, and a few seconds later I'm browsing the pictures in there.

HokieJoe

Me_Marcadet said:

I love my Sonata II.

Blizzard

Banned
dLMN8R said:
Newegg gets your stuff to you within 3 business days from the day you order it, no matter what shipping method you choose. If you ordered tonight, for example, then you should get your stuff by Tuesday (Monday's off due to labor day). *MAYBE* Wednesday next week if they don't get everything shipped out on time, but Tuesday can be guaranteed if you pay an extra few bucks for a rushed shipment.

Drivers install automatically in Home Premium just like any others. I can plug my camera into the computer without using the CD that came with it, and a few seconds later I'm browsing the pictures in there.

The question about the first issue is, how does stuff arrive? Do I -have- to be at my apartment? My complex might hold packages for me but I won't know when it's getting here (forgot about Labor Day).

For Vista, my question was whether it's possible to change/install different drivers, as was possible in XP. I noticed XP Home Premium doesn't have the scan/fax utility (I'm interested in scan/camera functionality like in XP) but I see apparently there's some sort of photo center that lets you scan pictures as well.

Also for Vista, I've looked at some on the tweakguides site, and it makes me feel a LOT better that there are some registry etc. customizations available. I'm still kind of wary of getting home premium and finding out something stupid isn't available (that I'd rather not pay $40-80 extra for). I've also talked to people and heard more accounts of which things are good and bad about Vista. It seems people tend to agree it's a decent OS now, but there are still some problems with program compatibility, it idles at a gig of RAM (I realize I'd have more than that available, but the principle is irksome), and there are programs that you may not be able to disable (like you could set services to "Manual" start in XP). I haven't verified that particular detail yet -- I really like to be able to control what services run and start, and so forth. Also someone I talked to tonight mentioned Windows defender, which may be useful or not but apparently can cause problems with internet and can't be disabled/uninstalled?

dLMN8R

Blizzard said:
The question about the first issue is, how does stuff arrive? Do I -have- to be at my apartment? My complex might hold packages for me but I won't know when it's getting here (forgot about Labor Day).
It all depends on your apartment complex. Talk to your management and I'm sure you can get something worked out.

Blizzard said:
For Vista, my question was whether it's possible to change/install different drivers, as was possible in XP. I noticed XP Home Premium doesn't have the scan/fax utility (I'm interested in scan/camera functionality like in XP) but I see apparently there's some sort of photo center that lets you scan pictures as well.
Yes, you can change and install different drivers, and yes, there's built-in support for scanners and cameras.

Blizzard said:
Also for Vista, I've looked at some on the tweakguides site, and it makes me feel a LOT better that there are some registry etc. customizations available. I'm still kind of wary of getting home premium and finding out something stupid isn't available (that I'd rather not pay $40-80 extra for). I've also talked to people and heard more accounts of which things are good and bad about Vista. It seems people tend to agree it's a decent OS now, but there are still some problems with program compatibility, it idles at a gig of RAM (I realize I'd have more than that available, but the principle is irksome), and there are programs that you may not be able to disable (like you could set services to "Manual" start in XP). I haven't verified that particular detail yet -- I really like to be able to control what services run and start, and so forth. Also someone I talked to tonight mentioned Windows defender, which may be useful or not but apparently can cause problems with internet and can't be disabled/uninstalled?
1) The only thing you're missing out on with Home Premium is full bit-locker drive encryption, an image backup utility for your computer, and other business-related features. Don't worry about it, you'll have everything you need.

2) Get over that "principle". Idle ram is wasted ram. Used ram is happy ram.

3) You can enable, disable, and set services to manual with Vista just the same as you can with XP. Similarly, you have full control over your startup programs with the same msconfig utility within XP.

4) Windows defender has never caused me any problems and it's been running constantly for the year I've head Vista, but of course, it can be completely disabled and uninstalled if you don't want it.

You really, really need to stop talking to these people who seem to be feeding you nothing but constant, factually incorrect misinformation.

Blizzard

Banned
dLMN8R said:
You really, really need to stop talking to these people who seem to be feeding you nothing but constant, factually incorrect misinformation.

Lulz. If I didn't make it clear enough, by the way, thanks for the tweakguides link if you were the one. There seem to be some guides on there for detailed configuration -- I REALLY appreciate such configurability (unless of course I mess up my installation and Vista doesn't let me reinstall/activate. That would suck.) Anyway, it looks like Home Premium 64 will be the way I go...$100 isn't bad as long as I don't get problems from the OEM and reinstalls, if necessary, can work.

Tables like this one: http://www.williamstanek.com/vista/windows_vista.htm mention "control over device driver installation" as something that is NOT supported in home premium, which seemed bizarre to me, and thus I asked. I wonder what they mean.

dLMN8R said:
1) The only thing you're missing out on with Home Premium is full bit-locker drive encryption, an image backup utility for your computer, and other business-related features. Don't worry about it, you'll have everything you need.

False. Remote desktop is NOT included with Home Premium but you can hack it to make it work. That was a big selling point on getting Ultimate as I wanted to remote in from work for real world IP interaction when needed.

2) Get over that "principle". Idle ram is wasted ram. Used ram is happy ram.
Somewhat agree. Vista's RAM management is what stands heads and tails above XP's shitty RAM management.

4) Windows defender has never caused me any problems and it's been running constantly for the year I've head Vista, but of course, it can be completely disabled and uninstalled if you don't want it.
Yes but really you should let it do it's own thing--- meaning it is tied to quite a few different Windows sub systems that will/can cause issues to arise if it is disabled and/or un-installed.

dLMN8R said:
Lulz. If I didn't make it clear enough, by the way, thanks for the tweakguides link if you were the one. There seem to be some guides on there for detailed configuration -- I REALLY appreciate such configurability (unless of course I mess up my installation and Vista doesn't let me reinstall/activate. That would suck.) Anyway, it looks like Home Premium 64 will be the way I go...$100 isn't bad as long as I don't get problems from the OEM and reinstalls, if necessary, can work.

In reading the past couple pages, I know you've been on the fence about Vista--- however if you build a newer computer--- you really are missing out on a lot of the newer hardware features and security that Vista has that XP cannot nor will ever match.

If you can swing it, get 64-bit Ultimate OEM as it's the best version out there and has the most robust options; If not, get Home Prem. 64-bit and jump on board. Vista SP1 is a pretty amazing step up from where XP SP2 was.

Also to your Newegg question.....

Order first thing tomorrow or tonight, should start processing tomorrow--- and then be out to your house/business by Wednesday. If you order on a Sunday, you'll get it Thursday. For the 3 day express saver (which is default shipping) add +1 day to your order for processing and don't pay the stupid $2.99 for RUSH processing, it's a waste of money.

dLMN8R

Blizzard said:
Tables like this one: http://www.williamstanek.com/vista/windows_vista.htm mention "control over device driver installation" as something that is NOT supported in home premium, which seemed bizarre to me, and thus I asked. I wonder what they mean.
If I had to guess, it's probably talking about administrative control over specific users getting certain drivers, allowing sys admins to allow or prevent computers on a domain from updating certain things.

VictimOfGrief said:
False. Remote desktop is NOT included with Home Premium but you can hack it to make it work. That was a big selling point on getting Ultimate as I wanted to remote in from work for real world IP interaction when needed.
Crap, sorry I forgot about that one. It is important for quite a lot of people.

Also, the last quote you posted is misquoted as me, it's actually Blizzard's post!

Wallach

VictimOfGrief said:

To be more precise, being able to RM into the installed computer is not included with Vista HP. It still includes the RM client so that you can remote into another computer. I use it all the time for work purposes.

Stealth edit - I've had a reasonable amount to drink tonight, and I think this might be a useless post. I'll check it tomorrow.

Stealth edit #2 - In fact I'm pretty positive you can download RM onto pretty much anything. But think of all that time you'll save.

dLMN8R

:lol No, you're correct. All versions of Windows are able to remote desktop into a machine hosting it, but for Vista, you need Business or above to host it. Just like XP Home vs. XP Pro - Home has a client you can use, but only Pro has the ability to host.

VictimOfGrief said:
In reading the past couple pages, I know you've been on the fence about Vista--- however if you build a newer computer--- you really are missing out on a lot of the newer hardware features and security that Vista has that XP cannot nor will ever match.

If you can swing it, get 64-bit Ultimate OEM as it's the best version out there and has the most robust options; If not, get Home Prem. 64-bit and jump on board. Vista SP1 is a pretty amazing step up from where XP SP2 was.

I just upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64 earlier in the evening (I did a clean install into an empty drive), and I must say I'm impressed so far. I didn't notice any appreciable slowdown while browsing the web, but I did notice the slick aero desktop effects. I'm glad I finally got over my worries about vistas performance with 2gb of ram (which will be upgraded to 4 in a few months).

I got a new computer last May (that I didn't build because I'm a pussy), but I just used it for business stuff and media. I wasn't concerned with gaming because I have a Wii (lol) and a 360. Yesterday, I figured "Nvidia 8800GT is only $150? That's totally reasonable!" I buy it and Crysis, then get home and discover that I bought a woefully underpowered power supply. I go spend another hundred on a power supply and I also bought a gig of DDR2 ram, as my machine had 3 upgradeable to 4. Little did I know that the bastards used 2 512mb sticks for one of the gigs. Now I feel like I bought 512mb for the price of a gig. Anyone want to trade 2 512 for a gig? No one? Whatevs... Crysis runs very well on high settings (at the early stages anyway).

Since I'm new to PC gaming, what is recommended? I've already played Bioshock, Orange Box, COD4 on the 360. The last games I played on PC were the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure, Kings Quest 1 through 4, and Space Quest 1 through 3.

Edit: Keyboard & mouse control... woah. Anyone using a 360 pad on their PC needs to give KB&M a better shot.

Dead Man

Labombadog said:
Like the guy above told you. Get the 4850, but if your going for BIG resolution sizes on your monitor/TV then definitely get the 4870. Also, are you planning to overclock? If so get a Xigimatek HDT , or a Tuniq Tower. I have a Tuniq, and its awesome. I also have that case for my girls pc, and its a beaut. Have fun building, and give us some updates and pics. :)
Thanks. No plans to overclock, just dipping my toes in the PC waters again, if the sharks stay away I'll probably build a serious rig next year.

Blizzard

Banned
Mango Positive said:
Edit: Keyboard & mouse control... woah. Anyone using a 360 pad on their PC needs to give KB&M a better shot.

:lol

Sadly didn't get computer ordered last night, but will put orders together this evening. Time to get to work late!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Okay, so question. As of now is there any game out (apart from Crysis) which can't be run on everything max settings with 2 or 4xAA on 1650x1080 on 60fps on the MSI NX8800 GTS Overclocked? How about the forseeable future? Mercenaries and Spore should do fine right? How about the new Stalker and Fallout 3? Thanks!

Teetris said:
Okay, so question. As of now is there any game out (apart from Crysis) which can't be run on everything max settings with 2 or 4xAA on 1650x1080 on 60fps on the MSI NX8800 GTS Overclocked? How about the forseeable future? Mercenaries and Spore should do fine right? How about the new Stalker and Fallout 3? Thanks!

The 8800 X series will be able to play games for the next 18 months without any issues.

bee

botkiller said:
I'm trying to decide whether to go with HIS or ASUS for my 4850. Anyone have advice to give?

These are what I'm looking at:

ASUS

HIS

get the his, you get grid for free although you should maybe wait for the his 4850 iceq 4, much better cooler, dunno when they get them in but the uk has lots of stock already

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
VictimOfGrief said:
The 8800 X series will be able to play games for the next 18 months without any issues.
Thanks. :D I'm guessing the E7200 is perfect for this right? Or can I go even lower than that?

Teetris said:
Thanks. :D I'm guessing the E7200 is perfect for this right? Or can I go even lower than that?
Depends on your budget. The E7200 is a good proc but if you can afford it, go with the E8400 for a little more juice.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Crysis with 8.52 beta is top notch with the X2. Outperforms the 280 and GX2. About time.
This thing is faaaaaaaaaaasttt. Everything just seems more smooth. Waiting for latest rivatuner to support 4000 series fan control, then everything is set.

waxer

Has this thread always been this busy or is it just me noticing it all of a sudden
Just ordered all the parts for my new rig. Havnt been into pcs for a long long time. No doubt Ill be back in this thread once the parts arrive with questions.
Got
Thermaltake case armor+ mx
asus p5q pro motherboard
CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 2X2GB XMS2 DOMINATOR DDR2 PERFORMANCE MEMORY
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8500 3.16GHZ 6MB 1333MHZ 45NM LGA775 (slb9k)
THERMALRIGHT ULTRA-120 EXTREME + FAN
2x Western Digital Caviar SE 640GB 7200rpm SATA hard drive
ENERMAX MODU82+ 625W PSU
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD4850 DUAL SLOT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E DUAL DVI / TV-OUT
DVD writer I got given.

Now Ill have to go look up info on overclocking.

Wallach

Kadey said:
Crysis with 8.52 beta is top notch with the X2. Outperforms the 280 and GX2. About time.
This thing is faaaaaaaaaaasttt. Everything just seems more smooth. Waiting for latest rivatuner to support 4000 series fan control, then everything is set.

Stick with the 8.52 (either 8.52.2 or 8.52.6) until the 8.9s hit. There's been a lot of problems with the official 8.8s and the 4870X2, including the missing DLLs as well as really poor performance and driver underclocks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
VictimOfGrief said:
Depends on your budget. The E7200 is a good proc but if you can afford it, go with the E8400 for a little more juice.
Hmm, I can go there no problem but I wanted to build a really cheap PC and put the rest into something else I want. So, if I get the 8400 what exactly would I get an advantage in? FPS, loading? I only want to game on this PC so don't mind all the other stuff outside gaming. Won't be playing on Vista so I'm not sure if I should get the 8400. Talk me into it! :)

Wallach said:
Stick with the 8.52 (either 8.52.2 or 8.52.6) until the 8.9s hit. There's been a lot of problems with the official 8.8s and the 4870X2, including the missing DLLs as well as really poor performance and driver underclocks.

Once again, i'm going to have to agree with everyone suggesting to stay away from 8.8.

On my 4850 with 8.7 I was able to overclock to 700/1100 perfectly stable. Anything above the defaults with 8.8 causes driver failure and reboots.

Wallach

ColdDeckEd said:
Once again, i'm going to have to agree with everyone suggesting to stay away from 8.8.

On my 4850 with 8.7 I was able to overclock to 700/1100 perfectly stable. Anything above the defaults with 8.8 causes driver failure and reboots.

I haven't had any problems with my own 4850 and the 8.8s at all (card is OCd out of box to 675/1100). At work, I know one of the rigs with the 4870 spat out the .dll installer error, but otherwise our other problems were more specific to the 4870X2.

That said, the fixes in 8.8 were pretty negligible anyway so there's really no rush to grab them unless you're currently having issues with the 8.7s or earlier. Performance, at least for me, has been nearly identical on them - I think I picked up a whopping 12 points in Vantage (P) on the GPU score. :p

Top Bottom