• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

I personally hope I can run Fallout 3 on ma pc. Got a 8800GTS 320mb with 2gigs of G.skill ram DDR2 800 @ 890 and my CPU is a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHZ @ 3.2
I know whats holding me back is my GPU, but I really dont want to upgrade this year (teh monies).

Guled said:
hi, I got a quick question. If I get a laptop that can run crysis on med with an alright frame rate, how do you think it will handle

Left4Dead
Spore
SC2
Diablo 3
and Fallout 3

I don't want to play it on very high, but will I be able to run those games on high or at least med with a frame rate of at least 30?

Depends on the specs. What did you have in mind?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Labombadog said:
I personally hope I can run Fallout 3 on ma pc. Got a 8800GTS 320mb with 2gigs of G.skill ram DDR2 800 @ 890 and my CPU is a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHZ @ 3.2
I know whats holding me back is my GPU, but I really dont want to upgrade this year (teh monies).

That 320MB is gonna hurt. I know because when I was running Crysis with it I had to reduce my draw distance quite a bit otherwise I would go over the memory and my 30 fps would hit down to 7.

Just pawn off your GTS for $70 and buy a used 8800GT for $100.

Except I sold mine for $230 and bought a launch 8800GT for $266 :lol

lachesis

First time in this thread - but any input would be appreciated...

I'm trying to build my 2nd computer.

This will be used something in the line of HTPC. It will be basically a internet - and movie play machine, and perhaps a bit of gaming, but not too extreme.

My main PC, which was my first build earlier this year has basically following:

Q6600, stock cooling, stock speed.
Asus Maximus Formula X38 MB
Cruical Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 @ stock speed 4gb (1gb x 4)
WD Raptor 150gb SATA HDD
WD Caviar 500gb SATA HDD
Corsair 520W Modular PSU
EVGA 8800 GTS (G92) 512 mb
Antec P182 Case
Sony DRU..something DVD-R
XP Pro SP3

Now, I've been having a bit of unstability which I overlooked so far (It was my first build, and I still have much much to learn) - updated my bios for MB, yet it wasn't still perfect... and to make the long story short, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066 isn't listed as compatible memory to Maximus Formula anymore. (I guess many people had same problem).... and end result was many people had their ram went bad in extended period of time. So, I'm thinking of changing it to Corsair Dominator 4gb kit (2gb x 2). Also, since I"m at it - I'm thinking about OC'ing it mildly to 3.0ghz and the RAM accordingly too, with Zalman 9700.

So I have 4 of 1gb sticks soon to be left over - and since I've been doing some crazy OT these days thanks to the elections... as well as my wife with her 2nd job... we decided to treat each other with some shopping. In my case, building a new budget computer.

My current computer that's connected to my HDTV is actually a 6 year old Dell. P4 2.0ghz (older one), 512 RD-ram, 2 DVD drives which I set for Region1 and Region3, 80gb WD HDD, and a replacement graphic card which I think was Nvidia 7 series, a low-end AGPx2 one.

It still does its job mostly - plays SD videos fine, as well as pretty fast internet and adequet enough to do some paperwork. However, when I try to play anything HD-esque, even 720p ones, it sttuters quite a bit. I did try to add more ram (from my old work pc's RD-Ram) and tested 1.5g, still very much sttutering HD playback, at sub 500 dollar range. It needs to be economical, as well as somewhat upgradable.

So upon doing some research.... here's what I'm contemplating buying soon.

Intel Core Duo E7200 2.55ghz, 45nm CPU
Asus P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 MB
Antec Earthwatt 500w PSU
Artic Freezer 7 cooler (I'll be OC'ing the CPU and RAM a little bit.. not too extreme.)
Hitachi 500gb SATA HDD
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Case
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4gb (1gbx4) from my current main pc - I checked the compatibility with the Asus P5QL mobo, and it looks like it will be fine.
Wifi G card from my old Dell
Old FDD, DVD drives from my old Dell (IDE model)
Old 80gb HDD from my old Dell (IDE)
and I'll try to re-use my OEM license for XP home (but that's another story I guess.)

Now here's the million dollar question.
What's the budget card (0-100 dollars) that can handle 1080p videoplay back?

My original idea was to buy 8600 GT with 256 GDDR3... or even 8400 GS. Would these be enough to play 1080p HD videos? I'll be probably adding a BD drive down the road.

My 2nd option is buying 3850 for around 100 bucks. However, I have had very bad experience with that specific maker (Sapphire) before, so I'm a little bit hesistant to buy it.

3rd option would be getting a 8800 GT 512mb.... but it's little bit overbudget. I know it's only about 50-100 dollar more than 8600 GT, but I'm trying to save as much as possible on video card, because this PC will eventually inherit the Q6600 and 8800 GTS (g92) from my main pc, when there's next generation of graphics card (after current Nvidia 9 series). I do not wish to get similar card, and I don't plan to do SLI either...

Any recomendations, or will the 8600 GT with only 256mb GDDR3 or even lower 8400 GS will work fine for the HD playback?

Thx in advance!
lachesis

Guled

VictimOfGrief said:
Depends on the specs. What did you have in mind?
Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz
2 gigs ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 Graphics
512MB GDDR3

Crysis is playable with med/high specs (around 30fps) so will the other games be more demanding then crysis (also, what about farcry 2). I don't really want to play on very high, just as long as I can run the game

Guled said:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz
2 gigs ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 Graphics
512MB GDDR3

Crysis is playable with med/high specs (around 30fps) so will the other games be more demanding then crysis (also, what about farcry 2). I don't really want to play on very high, just as long as I can run the game

Here's a good read.. sounds ike the HD 2600 will be fine. Link

Also I'd say go for 3GB or 4GB of RAM simply because you'll kick yourself for not getting more upfront when it's so cheap right now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
lachesis said:

Antec Earthwatt 500w PSU
Artic Freezer 7 cooler (I'll be OC'ing the CPU and RAM a little bit.. not too extreme.)
Hitachi 500gb SATA HDD
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4gb (1gbx4) from my current main pc - I checked the compatibility with the Asus P5QL mobo, and it looks like it will be fine.
and I'll try to re-use my OEM license for XP home (but that's another story I guess.)

Thx in advance!
lachesis

The E5200 just came out (I mean like today, big retails will get them in soon), go that route and save $30-40.

I would go with a WD6400AAKS or Seagate 750GB for $85.

That set-up will not draw much power at all, a 380W EA is more than enough.

Cent 5 was my old case, you could consider buying an Antec case w/ EA380W combo for less money.

Ballistix seemingly have a high rate of dying, but since you ahve em use them. You can download MemTest86+ to test them.

As for HTPC Card... I believe ATi usually wins in this area.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261021

Newer series the better, try to find something with HDMI port and ask a HTPC forum (Overclockers Forum has a nice subsection on them) HTPC is not my area.

Blackface

Banned
lachesis said:
First time in this thread - but any input would be appreciated...

I'm trying to build my 2nd computer.

This will be used something in the line of HTPC. It will be basically a internet - and movie play machine, and perhaps a bit of gaming, but not too extreme.

My main PC, which was my first build earlier this year has basically following:

Q6600, stock cooling, stock speed.
Asus Maximus Formula X38 MB
Cruical Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 @ stock speed 4gb (1gb x 4)
WD Raptor 150gb SATA HDD
WD Caviar 500gb SATA HDD
Corsair 520W Modular PSU
EVGA 8800 GTS (G92) 512 mb
Antec P182 Case
Sony DRU..something DVD-R
XP Pro SP3

Now, I've been having a bit of unstability which I overlooked so far (It was my first build, and I still have much much to learn) - updated my bios for MB, yet it wasn't still perfect... and to make the long story short, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066 isn't listed as compatible memory to Maximus Formula anymore. (I guess many people had same problem).... and end result was many people had their ram went bad in extended period of time. So, I'm thinking of changing it to Corsair Dominator 4gb kit (2gb x 2). Also, since I"m at it - I'm thinking about OC'ing it mildly to 3.0ghz and the RAM accordingly too, with Zalman 9700.

So I have 4 of 1gb sticks soon to be left over - and since I've been doing some crazy OT these days thanks to the elections... as well as my wife with her 2nd job... we decided to treat each other with some shopping. In my case, building a new budget computer.

My current computer that's connected to my HDTV is actually a 6 year old Dell. P4 2.0ghz (older one), 512 RD-ram, 2 DVD drives which I set for Region1 and Region3, 80gb WD HDD, and a replacement graphic card which I think was Nvidia 7 series, a low-end AGPx2 one.

It still does its job mostly - plays SD videos fine, as well as pretty fast internet and adequet enough to do some paperwork. However, when I try to play anything HD-esque, even 720p ones, it sttuters quite a bit. I did try to add more ram (from my old work pc's RD-Ram) and tested 1.5g, still very much sttutering HD playback, at sub 500 dollar range. It needs to be economical, as well as somewhat upgradable.

Antec Earthwatt 500w PSU
Hitachi 500gb SATA HDD

My original idea was to buy 8600 GT with 256 GDDR3... or even 8400 GS. Would these be enough to play 1080p HD videos? I'll be probably adding a BD drive down the road.

My 2nd option is buying 3850 for around 100 bucks. However, I have had very bad experience with that specific maker (Sapphire) before, so I'm a little bit hesistant to buy it.

3rd option would be getting a 8800 GT 512mb.... but it's little bit overbudget. I know it's only about 50-100 dollar more than 8600 GT, but I'm trying to save as much as possible on video card, because this PC will eventually inherit the Q6600 and 8800 GTS (g92) from my main pc, when there's next generation of graphics card (after current Nvidia 9 series). I do not wish to get similar card, and I don't plan to do SLI either...

Any recomendations, or will the 8600 GT with only 256mb GDDR3 or even lower 8400 GS will work fine for the HD playback?

Thx in advance!
lachesis

You are wasting a ton of money on parts they won't help your HTPC at all. From the motherboard, to the ram and CPU.

You don't need a super powerful CPU if your graphic card or graphics solution is going take a majority of the load from HD playback. You don't need 4gb of ram, and even if you wanted, you could pick up cheap VALUE sticks of PC 5300.

Why don't you get a 780G chipset board, with a cheap power effecient CPU?

The 780G chipset allows integrated graphics that PLAYBACK up to 1080p very smooth. It's a proven chipset used heavily in HTPCs

You could combine that with 2-4 gigs of cheap value ram, and one of AMD's new inexpensive power effecient dual core CPU's and you will be off and running.

lachesis

Hazaro said:
The E5200 just came out (I mean like today, big retails will get them in soon), go that route and save $30-40.

I would go with a WD6400AAKS or Seagate 750GB for $85.

That set-up will not draw much power at all, a 380W EA is more than enough.

Cent 5 was my old case, you could consider buying an Antec case w/ EA380W combo for less money.

Ballistix seemingly have a high rate of dying, but since you ahve em use them. You can download MemTest86+ to test them.

As for HTPC Card... I believe ATi usually wins in this area.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261021

Newer series the better, try to find something with HDMI port and ask a HTPC forum (Overclockers Forum has a nice subsection on them) HTPC is not my area.

Thx - I'll take a look into it. (E5200, eh? Didn't even know it came out.. ;))

One of the reason for me sticking to 500W is that I'll be getting 8800 GTS (g92) from my main PC when I upgrade down the line, as well as Q6600 too. Also, Cent 5... I just like the look of it and functionality which seems to be match what I need. (USB on bottom - as I draw my USB keyboard.)

Hitachi HDD was... well, it was a combo deal w CPU from Newegg - (10 dollar off, making it around 50 bucks) - I don't really save too much files. I normally trash them once I'm done with watching - or if its worth keeping, I burn them on DVDs, or use External HDD.

Biggest question is that whether 8600 GT or 8400 GS is good enough to play HD contents... My quest is to build a budget priced ones, but decently upgradable/compatible with my current main PC...

But thank you for your input. :) I really appreciate it.

lachesis

Trax416 said:
You are wasting a ton of money on parts they won't help your HTPC at all. From the motherboard, to the ram and CPU.

You don't need a super powerful CPU if your graphic card or graphics solution is going take a majority of the load from HD playback. You don't need 4gb of ram, and even if you wanted, you could pick up cheap VALUE sticks of PC 5300.

Why don't you get a 780G chipset board, with a cheap power effecient CPU?

The 780G chipset allows integrated graphics that PLAYBACK up to 1080p very smooth. It's a proven chipset used heavily in HTPCs

You could combine that with 2-4 gigs of cheap value ram, and one of AMD's new inexpensive power effecient dual core CPU's and you will be off and running.

I know... but I do want my new PC to be relatively compatible with my main PC, which will inherit its parts down the road. (I'll upgrade CPU and Graphics Card in about an year). That's why I'm sticking to rather newer motherboard, and decent PSU, and a case with some room. Also 4g of ram.. I already have it, so rather than selling on e-bay, I just wanted to re-use them.

I'm actually thinking about getting E2180 for the CPU atm.. if 8400 GS or 8600 GT is good enough to play HD content.

Thanks for your input though. :) I really appreciate it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
lachesis said:
Thx - I'll take a look into it. (E5200, eh? Didn't even know it came out.. ;))

One of the reason for me sticking to 500W is that I'll be getting 8800 GTS (g92) from my main PC when I upgrade down the line, as well as Q6600 too. Also, Cent 5... I just like the look of it and functionality which seems to be match what I need. (USB on bottom - as I draw my USB keyboard.)

Hitachi HDD was... well, it was a combo deal w CPU from Newegg - (10 dollar off, making it around 50 bucks) - I don't really save too much files. I normally trash them once I'm done with watching - or if its worth keeping, I burn them on DVDs, or use External HDD.

Biggest question is that whether 8600 GT or 8400 GS is good enough to play HD contents... My quest is to build a budget priced ones, but decently upgradable/compatible with my current main PC...

But thank you for your input. :) I really appreciate it.

Ah, most people store their content, keep in mind the 640GB is crazy fast as well.

E5200 supposedly clocks great, it has a 12.5 multi and is a 800FSB chip. Almost no news of it until a few days, then it got released.

Few people said 4.0GHz, but I'm a bit skeptical. Only a little bit though considering my E7200.

One thing to check is that which SSE it has, it might be slightly gimped.

Blackface

Banned
I am probably going to be building a new HTPC before the new years using Intels new G45 chipset, on a Mini ITX board.

need to read more about the G45 though, some people have said it does not perform as well as the 780G, which is just about outdated(though still outputs 1080p great)by AMD's new 790 chipset.

JSnake

hey guys, I'm getting a wireless network USB adapter to replace the PCI one in my computer. However, I don't want to take the one in my computer out. Will Windows detect my new one and just shut off the other one?

zoku88

Trax416 said:
I am probably going to be building a new HTPC before the new years using Intels new G45 chipset, on a Mini ITX board.

need to read more about the G45 though, some people have said it does not perform as well as the 780G, which is just about outdated(though still outputs 1080p great)by AMD's new 790 chipset.
I've heard that the integrated chip in the chipset can't smoothly play 1080p videos, whilst AMD's integrated chip can (a fact that AMD used as ammunition against Intel.)

I guess it doesn't matter if you were going to put a dedicated card in there, anyway.

EDIT: Oh, you pretty much said most of this above. I haven't really looked at most of the above posts.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JSnake said:
hey guys, I'm getting a wireless network USB adapter to replace the PCI one in my computer. However, I don't want to take the one in my computer out. Will Windows detect my new one and just shut off the other one?

USB ones suck, any reason you are doing this?

lachesis

Hazaro said:
Ah, most people store their content, keep in mind the 640GB is crazy fast as well.

E5200 supposedly clocks great, it has a 12.5 multi and is a 800FSB chip. Almost no news of it until a few days, then it got released.

Few people said 4.0GHz, but I'm a bit skeptical. Only a little bit though considering my E7200.

One thing to check is that which SSE it has, it might be slightly gimped.

12.5 multi? Whoa... I'm really tempted now, especially if its considerably cheaper than E7200.

I forgot to mention, that I did run memtest for my Crucial Ballistix when I realized that there's something funky going on. Since it was my first build, I pretty much set everything on auto - except to set the memory at 1066. Once it a while, it failed to go into the windows... but I thought it might be a slight glitch in the system that I can't figure out. But just the other day, I was just flipping through some jpgs that I shot with my camera, and BSOD came up, which gave me an alert... and ran Memtest.. with full of red failures. :(

I did try setting the voltages to the stock and everything - but it wasn't still helpful.. so I googled some and found out that many people with my MB and Crucial had the same problem, and eventually about a couple month later when I built my system, Crucial took that product off the compatiblity list.

I'm just glad that my mem's not fried yet so that I can re-used them at least! ;)

Anyhow, thanks for the info!

VicVip3r

So I decided to finally build a custom computer and order new parts from Newegg. My friend helped building the computer since he's had experience. After everything was installed in the case, we turned it on and to my dismay we get a loud annoying humming sound. Now we unhooked the cables for the fans, dvd drives and the hdd but still get that loud humming sound. We think its coming from the PSU....any suggestions?

rod

Banned
are there any mods/patches that improve crysis performance? im getting about 35+ fps on vhigh with 8xaa 1080p but its a bit jerky

Blackface

Banned
rod said:
are there any mods/patches that improve crysis performance? im getting about 35+ fps on vhigh with 8xaa 1080p but its a bit jerky

WTF kinda rig do you have to be getting those settings on Crysis with 8X AA at 1080p on very high.

Even SLI'd GTX280's don't do that I don't think.

rod

Banned
Trax416 said:
WTF kinda rig do you have to be getting those settings on Crysis with 8X AA at 1080p on very high.

Even SLI'd GTX280's don't do that I don't think.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 and one 4870x2 8GB ram, vista64, there is VERY little impact on performance with this card with AA enabled

Blackface

Banned
rod said:
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 and one 4870x2 8GB ram, vista64, there is VERY little impact on performance with this card with AA enabled

I know, it's just I have never seen stats like that on any benchmarking. Club Overclocker dipped into the 20's with 8XAA at 1900X1200 on High, let alone 35FPS on very high. But if you can pull it off, more power to you.

Phantast2k said:
Hi,
so a friend of mine asked me to build him a rig capable of running Crysis. He also set a budget of approx. 400€ :(
So this is what I came up with:

- C2D E7300 Boxed: 90€
- MSI P43 Neo-F, P43: 60€
- Zotac GeForce 8800 (G92) GTS PCIe 512 MB DDR3: 100€ (*)
- 2048MB-Kit GEIL Black Dragon PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4: 35€
- Antec New Solution NSK4480B: 65€ (*²)
- Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA II: 45€
- LG Electronics GH20NS: 20€

= 415€

-----------------
* - A 4850 is 30€ more while being only 5 frames (more or less) ahead of the 8800GTS from what I've seen. What are your thoughts?
- I've never bought a case with a build in power suply, but since I'm on a strict budget here I've got no choice. This is the build in suply:
EarthWatts 380W ATX12V v2.0 80Plus Certified power supply
Will it be enough for the rig?
A guy on newegg is using it for "Quad Core Q6600 2.4, 9800gt, 2x 250gb hd, 4gb RAM and a tv tuner."
Since I'll be utilizing a 45nm CPU I should be safe, right?

So I got the 8800GTS and that Antec case with the build in PSU (Seasonic build Earthwatts 380w, 80+). The System is rock solid! I ran a few rather long stress tests - no probs at all. Crysis is around 30fps @ high + some kinky mod for more realism.
Other games I tested can be played at max or near max.
--------
lol @ people with basic systems and 45nm CPUs and 55nm GPUs buying 600w PSUs :p

Dead Man

So, it's finally time I get back into PC gaming, after being on the dark side for the last 5 years. So keeping in mind the last PC I built was 6+ years ago I need some help with the purchasing. I have been checking out IJK Online: www.ijk.com.au which seems to be one of the better stores for Aussies. Any hints tips or slaps on the forehead from Aussie GAF or any other interested party? This is basically just their mid level gaming option stripped of shit I (think I) don't need. I already have a pretty decent TV and will be using that as my monitor for now.

1 x LG GH20Ns15 (BLK) Sata DVD-RW: $32.00
1 x Zotac ZT-98GES3P-FSP GeForce 9800 GT 512MB GDDR3: $168.00
1 x Samsung HD501LJ SATA 500GB SATA2 300Mbps 7200RPM 16MB Cache $88.00
1 x Thermaltake Soprano VB1430BWS(vb1400bws) ATX Case: 430w $130.00
1 x Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64Bit OEM Windows: $126.00
1 x Intel E8500 E8500CORE 2 DUO 3.16GHZ, 6MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB, LGA775: $250.00
1 x Asus P5Q ExpGATE, S775, P45, DDR2, FSB1600, PCIE, RAID, 2xGBLAN, 2x1394a, ATX: $161.00
1 x Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4(1GX2) 2G (2x XMS2 1GB) DDRII-800 (PC-6400C): 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC Unbuffered, 4-4-4-12: $69.00

$1024 total

I'm not going to be building it until Oct/Nov so I have some time but am just trying to get soem idea

rod

Banned
Trax416 said:
I know, it's just I have never seen stats like that on any benchmarking. Club Overclocker dipped into the 20's with 8XAA at 1900X1200 on High, let alone 35FPS on very high. But if you can pull it off, more power to you.

really? on high, i get 50+

I'd change this:
idahoblue said:
1 x Zotac ZT-98GES3P-FSP GeForce 9800 GT 512MB GDDR3: $168.00 -> a 4850 should be faster 9800 is just a rebranded 8800 as far as I know
1 x Thermaltake Soprano VB1430BWS(vb1400bws) ATX Case: 430w $130.00 -> Nonono, if you must get a Case-PSU-Combo, get Antec due to reasons I described above your posting.
1 x Intel E8500 E8500CORE 2 DUO 3.16GHZ, 6MB CACHE, 1333MHZ FSB, LGA775: $250.00
1 x Asus P5Q ExpGATE, S775, P45, DDR2, FSB1600, PCIE, RAID, 2xGBLAN, 2x1394a, ATX: $161.00
1 x Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4(1GX2) 2G (2x XMS2 1GB) DDRII-800 (PC-6400C): 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC Unbuffered, 4-4-4-12: $69.00 -> 4GB for better Vista experience

$1024 total

I'm not going to be building it until Oct/Nov so I have some time but am just trying to get soem idea

Vorador

Banned
Trax416 said:

The later patches may be the reason of his improved performance.

I should pick up the game now than i have a decent rig to play it.

Azzurri

Gold Member
What type of upgrade would I see if I went from a 8800 GTX to a 4850 or 4870? Or is it better to crossfire either or? Or maybe just buy the 4870x2?

Vorador

Banned
Azzurri said:
What type of upgrade would I see if I went from a 8800 GTX to a 4850 or 4870? Or is it better to crossfire either or? Or maybe just buy the 4870x2?

I have a 8800GTS (old core) and i would personally suggest to hold out until next generation of graphics cards hit the market. I've been able to play almost everything in high resolutions just fine, and the 8800GTX is more powerful than my own. Is not really worth the money imho.

Azzurri said:

Not a whole lot. I've got a 8800GT right now and my new rig is getting either a 4850/4870 pending my budget... but the 4850 from a GTS will not see that big of a difference.

The 8800 series is good for another 18 months at least.

dude

dude
Hmmm... My new PC is giving me some trouble, it seems to freeze when I use it after a while, or when I keep it on at night. I though it might be too hot, but HWMonitor shows that's not it. What could it be?
I'm downloading SP1 right now, and a friend said it might be a problem with my RAM.

What's the best 22" monitor i can get for under/around $300. Therre seem to be alot in the price range. LG? Samsung? Viewsonic? And also would it be worth it to get the Sceptre 24" (279.99) from newegg because it does 1920x1200 or should i stay away from a low tier brand?

Wallach

blackMamba1187 said:
What's the best 22" monitor i can get for under/around $300. Therre seem to be alot in the price range. LG? Samsung? Viewsonic? And also would it be worth it to get the Sceptre 24" (279.99) from newegg because it does 1920x1200 or should i stay away from a low tier brand?

This would be my recommendation: Samsung 2253BW 22" LCD

If you are interested in a glossy panel, the 2253LW should suit your needs.

zoku88

rod said:
Wow, just wow.

I have a question, about the RAM mostly. What non-games do you use regularly and how long do you say it takes to open them?

idahoblue said:
So, it's finally time I get back into PC gaming, after being on the dark side for the last 5 years. So keeping in mind the last PC I built was 6+ years ago I need some help with the purchasing. I have been checking out IJK Online: www.ijk.com.au which seems to be one of the better stores for Aussies. Any hints tips or slaps on the forehead from Aussie GAF or any other interested party? This is basically just their mid level gaming option stripped of shit I (think I) don't need. I already have a pretty decent TV and will be using that as my monitor for now.

1 x Zotac ZT-98GES3P-FSP GeForce 9800 GT 512MB GDDR3: $168.00
1 x Thermaltake Soprano VB1430BWS(vb1400bws) ATX Case: 430w $130.00
1 x Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4(1GX2) 2G (2x XMS2 1GB) DDRII-800 (PC-6400C): 2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC Unbuffered, 4-4-4-12: $69.00

$1024 total

Like the guy above told you. Get the 4850, but if your going for BIG resolution sizes on your monitor/TV then definitely get the 4870. Also, are you planning to overclock? If so get a Xigimatek HDT , or a Tuniq Tower. I have a Tuniq, and its awesome. I also have that case for my girls pc, and its a beaut. Have fun building, and give us some updates and pics. :)

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Labombadog said:
Like the guy above told you. Get the 4850, but if your going for BIG resolution sizes on your monitor/TV then definitely get the 4870. Also, are you planning to overclock? If so get a Xigimatek HDT , or a Tuniq Tower. I have a Tuniq, and its awesome. I also have that case for my girls pc, and its a beaut. Have fun building, and give us some updates and pics. :)

are we going to start posting pics of our rigs now?

JoeMartin

Just put together a newish rig:

Asus P5Q
Intel E8400
G.Skill 1066 2x2gb
HD4850
PCP&C 610w
Seagate 250gb
Cooler Master 534+

$805 (inc shipping) after rebates.

Cheeto

rod said:
WOW...I've got to ask...what application inspired you to spend $1000 on a processor?

JoeMartin said:
Just put together a newish rig:

Asus P5Q
Intel E8400
G.Skill 1066 2x2gb
HD4850
PCP&C 610w
Seagate 250gb
Cooler Master 534+

$805 (inc shipping) after rebates.
Nice rig man! Everything looks great, but I would get the Antec 300 just because I heard so many good things about it. Only $10 more + free shipping at Newegg.com

**UPDATED BUILD**

MSI X48C Platinum LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controler/Heatsink

Subtotal: $1,027.93

*Future Proof*
more like future ***POOF!!!*** :lol

Any feedback guys---- go for it. Should be ordering this one in the next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom