• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotBot

I think this is the Chinese show Shawn Johnson was on that was mentioned in her interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfS8Y17bGcY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg4bC86JTqI

2cf748z.jpg

The host asks her what she thinks of the Chinese gymnastics team, while the entire team is sitting there watching her.

lunlunqq

What a ride to experience the Olympics with GAF. This is the first Olympics my country hosted and my first true "international" Olympics as we have ppl all over the world here. I don't think any future games could ever be this exciting for me.

Karakand

lunlunqq said:
What a ride to experience the Olympics with GAF. This is the first Olympics my country hosted and my first true "international" Olympics as we have ppl all over the world here. I don't think any future games could ever be this exciting for me.
You were a pretty good sport too. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
well my tv will now get a nice long well-deserved rest for the foreseeable future. always a bummer when the olympics end

LuCkymoON

Banned
good job China!
Showing that the force of many people willing to achieve greatness, can and will achieve that greatness. I doubt we will see another Olympics like that in our life time.

Kikujiro

I'll probably be in London in 2012, but 4 years are too far away.

These Olympics were the best I've ever seen, Phelps and Bolt achievements would not be repeated easily, but there were so many great moments. There was this little chinese girl that won the gold medal in diving on her last dive, with all the crowd's pressure, and she bursts out crying. It was really emotional.

Oh yeah, Isinbayeva too, the anthem of Russia added it.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Was a great Olympics this year. Was by far the most exciting in my lifetime (only 22.) I loved watching Atlanta but this was even better.

Duke Togo

Easily the best Olympics I've ever seen. China did a great job hosting it, despite a lot of skepticism. Its going to be boring TV for a while now.

Akira

Kikujiro said:
I'll probably be in London in 2012, but 4 years are too far away.

These Olympics were the best I've ever seen, Phelps and Bolt achievements would not be repeated easily, but there were so many great moments. There was this little chinese girl that won the gold medal in diving on her last dive, with all the crowd's pressure, and she bursts out crying. It was really emotional.

Oh yeah, Isinbayeva too, the anthem of Russia added it.

In which diving event? I thought China won their diving gold medals by quite a big margin.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Let's not forget Zhang Juanjuan who came out of nowhere and toppled the South Korean archery empire, winning the gold medal by defeating the #3, #2, #1 archers in the world (all South Korean) back-to-back-to-back. It's basically the equivalent of some benchwarmer for the Miami Heat beating Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, and Dwayne Wade one-on-one in 3 straight matches. Upset of the Olympics, but it got zero press other than all us archery fans who watched the online streams :D

Wow guys check this out.

If gold = 3 points
silver = 2 points
bronze = 1 point

China ended with 223 points
USA ended with 220 points

Those underage gymnasts ended up winning the olympics for China! If the IOC by some miricle decides to strip the medals from the underage gymnasts, the USA will have won the olympics! Wow. It's sad that cheating was the difference in this olympics

Kikujiro

Akira said:
In which diving event? I thought China won their diving gold medals by quite a big margin.

Women's 10m Platform

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/DV/C73A/DVW002101.shtml#DVW002101

Emilie Heymans was first by 90 points, the crowd was crazy, the other chinese girl finished third and she was the only one left to take the gold medal. She needed a perfect dive and she made it, when she started crying I realized how much pressure the chinese athletes had to bear.

perfectchaos007 said:
Wow guys check this out.

If gold = 3 points
silver = 2 points
bronze = 1 point

China ended with 223 points
USA ended with 220 points

Those underage gymnasts ended up winning the olympics for China! If the IOC by some miricle decides to strip the medals from the underage gymnasts, the USA will have won the olympics! Wow. It's sad that cheating was the difference in this olympics

How old are you? It's a joke, right?:lol

Kikujiro said:
Women's 10m Platform

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/DV/C73A/DVW002101.shtml#DVW002101

Emilie Heymans was first by 90 points, the crowd was crazy, the other chinese girl finished third and she was the only one left to take the gold medal. She needed a perfect dive and she made it, when she started crying I realized how much pressure the chinese athletes had to bear.

How old are you? It's a joke, right?:lol

No. I just did the math. And lots of people use the 3 for gold, 2 for silver, and 1 for bronze system.

tino

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
No. I just did the math. And lots of people use the 3 for gold, 2 for silver, and 1 for bronze system.

That's retarded. By your logic, going to Superbowl 4 years in a row without winning equels two and a half superbowl rings. Just shut up already.

And the age rule is stupid, how come there is no age rule in swimming and diving?

RotBot

tino said:
That's retarded. By your logic, going to Superbowl 4 years in a row without winning equels two and a half superbowl rings. Just shut up already.

And the age rule is stupid, how come there is no age rule in swimming and diving?
Buffalo Bills #1!!!

tino said:

Well most Americans would agree Silver and Bronze don't and shouldn't ammount to nothing. Thats why the 3,2,1 system is used. Its not like the Superbowl where only the winners get to celebrate. If only Gold mattered, people would throw away their silver and bronze medals.

woodchuck

yeah...im starting to get that empty feeling now that the olympics ended. the beijing games were a lot of fun. definitely the best i've seen (since atlanta).

oh well. time for the nfl to start again!

It was a good olympics. Canada choked most of the time, but overall prevailed.

Some good times when Canada won their first medal:

Buba Big Guns said:
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEDAL OMG OMGO OGMGOMGOGOGMGOMGOMGOKGOSKHDIAHHDAODHDA
AJDADADJADKJDGKGAKHGADJHADJHFADJFADHJFDAGKAGKAFGJDADA HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!HOLY FUCK!!!!!!!

MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!MEDAL MEDLA!!!!!!!!!

legend166 said:
I thought the closing ceremony sucked.

Seen one fireworks display, and you've seen 'em all (unless it's CGI).

The London part was completely embarassing. Should have just given McCartney a piano in the middle of the stadium and told him to sing.

THIS.

Grimmy

Banned
The Olympics are over, and here are my personal choices for the personalities of the games.

1. Bolt. What an athlete. What a showman. He was a joy to watch. Then he even shut up Rogge with his $50,000 donation to the Szechuan earthquake. Yeah!
2. Phelps. What else canbe said? His feat is unprecedented but he is not as electrifying (heh) as Bolt.
3. Guo Jingjing. The diva of diving. She is elegant, beautiful, and has that little bit of an aristocratic hauteur that makes her captivating.
4. Matthew Mitcham. You go boy! Stopped China from sweeping, and is the only openly gay man in the whole Olympics. Brave and an amazing athlete.
5. Carol Hyunh. Canada's first gold, and her emotions were priceless, as were the story about her background.
6. Bryan Clay. The hottest guy in the games. More importantly, winner of the most challenging event in the Olympics.
7. Yang Wei. The gymnastics golden boy. He represents the great achievements by China's men's gymnastics this year.
8. Matthias Steiner. This hulking man contrasts deeply with his emotional story about his wife, who died ina car crash before she could see him win the gold medal.
9. Phil Dalhausser. He is the wall. Wow, what a beating in that last set of the beach volleyball men's finals.
10. Last one is hard... I can choose a number of others, but since I'm a Rafael Nadal fan, I'm just happy he got his gold, cementing himself as the true #1 in Tennis.

RagnarokX

legend166 said:
I thought the closing ceremony sucked.

Seen one fireworks display, and you've seen 'em all (unless it's CGI).

The London part was completely embarassing. Should have just given McCartney a piano in the middle of the stadium and told him to sing.
And they butchered greensleeves :(

Bigfoot

tino said:

Agreed! A better rule is Gold = 9, Silver = 3, Bronze = 1. It's a little better, but I still think anyone would trade in 3 silvers for one gold.

How does the math work with this rule? (I'm too lazy to do it myself :D )

pitt_norton

polyh3dron said:
:lol @ Jackie Chan & Andy Lau singing off beat

Comment (paraphrased) from an Australian commentator who obviously had no idea who Jackie Chan and Andy Lau were: "It's great that China has been so loose to let some volunteers up on stage to party and sing some karaoke."

lunlunqq

pitt_norton said:
Comment (paraphrased) from an Australian commentator who obviously had no idea who Jackie Chan and Andy Lau were: "It's great that China has been so loose to let some volunteers up on stage to party and sing some karaoke."
:lol :lol :lol :lol

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
itxaka said:
Do you mean the basketball final?

Thank God someone is talking about this. I mean, do those Olympic refs not know what the fuck traveling in? Next time they need to bring in some damn FIBA refs rather than those NBA stoolies they had giving the gold to the fucking USAsians. FUCK that makes me mad. Why hasn't this been brought up more?

thirty

Banned
so phelps commited to london 2012. wtf, he's already has fame, money, and a legacy. what more does he want? but i guess he just wants to compete so i can't knock him for that. if his body still allows for it, then why not keep competing right?

Kittonwy

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
Simple answer is they won't. They won't come remotely close. The logo disaster was bad enough but the embarrassment at the closing ceremony tonight sealed it.

No other country can spend 40 billion off the backs of its citizens, for most countries, the country belongs to its citizens, not the other way around.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
LuCkymoON said:
so NBC already has announced a DVD of the opening ceremony but not BluRay????

There better be a goddamn Blu Ray, because there is no WAY IN HELL I will buy the Opening Ceremonies on DVD.

vpance

Kittonwy said:
No other country can spend 40 billion off the backs of its citizens, for most countries, the country belongs to its citizens, not the other way around.

They were worked hard to entertain us. I say bravo, and thx for the show.

Next time it's mimes and buses ;_;

lunlunqq

Kittonwy said:

What's your problem, Kittonwy? Why so negative on anything we did? For the most parts, I hate what our government dose to our people. But don't try to give everything happening in China a negative spin, OK? Your government has spent more than 500 fucking billions dollars off the backs of its citizens on a fucking WAR. Let alone tens of thousands of lives. At least we spent the money on something that promotes harmony and peace. Wait, you are not even an American...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
lunlunqq said:
What's your problem, Kittonwy? Why so negative on anything we did? For the most parts, I hate what our government dose to our people. But don't try to give everything happening in China a negative spin, OK? Your government has spent more than 500 fucking billions dollars off the backs of its citizens on a fucking WAR. Let alone tens of thousands of lives. At least we spent the money on something that promotes harmony and peace. Wait, you are not even an American...

Americans give tons of criticism on Bush for the war. Like, every day.

scottnak

Oh, another long wait until the next olympics... It was a whole bunch of fun! Being able to uncover some awesome sports gems that became really interesting after watching it since it was "on live, streamable"

And a big FU to NBC for sucking it hard big time for us west coast folks.
Thanks for the awesome online feed, though.

And it was great having to have an extra set of commentary on here too.
Despite having to wade through assenine medal sorting procedures, hilarious banter over Chinese details, ... and wahtever else.

linsivvi

Beijing's GDP is what, $120 billion a year? That $40 billion was spent since 2001 till now, and most of them on infrastructures. Yeah they could've (and should've) spent the money on the poor regions, but it's not like the city of Beijing wasn't swimming in pools of money in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom