• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
thirty said:
so phelps commited to london 2012. wtf, he's already has fame, money, and a legacy. what more does he want? but i guess he just wants to compete so i can't knock him for that. if his body still allows for it, then why not keep competing right?

He'll only be 27, which is hardly old for a swimmer. I wouldn't be shocked to see him compete at some level in 2016.

Sibylus

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Like all Canadians we finish STRONG.
gladtomeetya.gif
Wait, wait, wait...

The Kitton is a canuck?

Nekobo

I'm definitely going to miss the Olympics. Even though I'm disappointed China reneged on it's promises (human rights, crack downs, free media access), I'm glad they pulled it off. Opening and closing ceremonies were unforgettable. Wish I could say the same about London's rather unique presentation, but good luck to them in 2012.

That ending montage was beautiful, too. Now I want to visit China and see those sights with my own eyes. And maybe come to London in 2012 to watch the games in person.

aznpxdd

mre said:
Thank God someone is talking about this. I mean, do those Olympic refs not know what the fuck traveling in? Next time they need to bring in some damn FIBA refs rather than those NBA stoolies they had giving the gold to the fucking USAsians. FUCK that makes me mad. Why hasn't this been brought up more?

U MAD?

You are about 1 day late though.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Nekobo said:
That ending montage was beautiful, too. Now I want to visit China and see those sights with my own eyes. And maybe come to London in 2012 to watch the games in person.

I recommend it. It was also pretty awesome to watch the marathon runners and be like, "oh yeah I've been there. And there. And there. Yeah, I remember that."

Thread de-styckied, no more Lympics? T_T

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Nekobo said:
I'm definitely going to miss the Olympics. Even though I'm disappointed China reneged on it's promises (human rights, crack downs, free media access), I'm glad they pulled it off. Opening and closing ceremonies were unforgettable. Wish I could say the same about London's rather unique presentation, but good luck to them in 2012.

When China did their presentation in the Athens 2004 Closing Ceremonies, I knew that their Opening Ceremonies would be MAGICAL. When London did their presentation in the Beijing 2008 Closing Ceremonies, I was rather underwhelmed.

Hopefully they can pull something impressive for 2012.

And yes, the ending montage makes me want to visit China, it is such a beautiful country.

g23

European pre-madonna
Man that montage was amazing. Does anyone else here agree that Liu Xiong's(sp?) (China's track and field star) story is one of the saddest in olympic history. Man....

Kittonwy

Banned
I can haz a question, is that leona lewis woman lipsyncing? Whatabout teh old dude? Wuz he faking his guitar playing? Becuz the sound and the picture don't sync up quite right.

neoanarch

g23 said:
Man that montage was amazing. Does anyone else here agree that Liu Xiong's(sp?) (China's track and field star) story is one of the saddest in olympic history. Man....

if you listen to the media he was put ont he track at gunpoint.

lunlunqq

sp0rsk said:
Americans give tons of criticism on Bush for the war. Like, every day.

Sorry about the argument on the war spending. I really don't want to open another can of worm here.

Democracy is great. Chinese government is bad. That I know. There are probably a million other things we can hate on the government. Just let the Olympics alone, OK? It was a huge success! Everybody's happy! Let China have our moment. OK?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
g23 said:

Dude, let me tell you.

When they showed him again in the replay, my heart just broke in half. I don't know why, but seeing it made me cry.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, best Olympic Games ever.

And now I can't stop whistling that little trumpet tune at the beginning of the damn Chinese national anthem. Good thing HUAC aint around anymore.

Nothing to do on weekday nights anymore :(

Kittonwy

Banned
lunlunqq said:
What's your problem, Kittonwy? Why so negative on anything we did? For the most parts, I hate what our government dose to our people. But don't try to give everything happening in China a negative spin, OK? Your government has spent more than 500 fucking billions dollars off the backs of its citizens on a fucking WAR. Let alone tens of thousands of lives. At least we spent the money on something that promotes harmony and peace. Wait, you are not even an American...

What do you mean "we"? Do you live IN China? If you do, good for you for defending your country, if you don't, then move there, because if you're a citizen of a country other than china and enjoying the benefits of being a citizen in that country, then china is not your country and the chinese government is not your government.

THOUSANDS of people die in floods in china, every year, like clockwork, guess how many are going to die in floods next year? THOUSANDS. Ten thousand people dying is obviously nothing to China when they would rather spend 40 billion elsewhere for fucking FACE, rather than spend it on the necessary infrastructure to prevent people from getting washed down the fucking river every single year, this is where they're spending their money and they're asking for fucking FLOOD DONATIONS? Yeah it's GREAT how well the olympics turned out.

Yes, the olympics is nice, china got its face, chinese people must be so fucking proud because next week beijing is going to turn into smog city again and everything will be back to normal.

g23

European pre-madonna
Those montages that NBC does at the end of every olympics just changes your perspective on life. Their get to the core of you! And they use the same song every time too!!

lunlunqq

Kittonwy said:
What do you mean "we"? Do you live IN China? If you do, good for you for defending your country, if you don't, then move there, because if you're a citizen of a country other than china and enjoying the benefits of being a citizen in that country, then china is not your country and the chinese government is not your government.

Are you aware how many people die in floods each year in China? THOUSANDS, every year, like clockwork, guess how many are going to die in floods next year? THOUSANDS. Ten thousand people dying is nothing to China when they would rather spend 40 billion elsewhere, rather than spend it on the necessary infrastructure to prevent people from getting washed down the fucking river every single year, this is where they're spending their money and they're asking for fucking FLOOD DONATIONS? I will neither defend a tyranical government nor a people who are willing participants of such a regime, a regime that treats its people like a disposable resource, you can't fucking have it both ways.

Yes, the olympics is nice, china got its face, next week beijing is going to turn into smog city again and everything will be back to normal.

Ok, we Chinese should move back to China, right? Nothing really new here... just pure hate. I guess there is no point for me to argue anymore.

Kittonwy

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Ok, we Chinese should move back to China, right? Nothing really new here... just pure hate. I guess there is no point for me to argue anymore.

It has nothing to do with "hate", it has to do with PATRIOTISM. Which country do you live in? Whichever country you live in, you're a citizen of, where's your patriotism to THAT country? You know, the country you live in and derive benefits from? You think you're being fair to your own country by swearing loyalty to china and waving around the chinese flag? Not sure why you think just because you're of a particular racial descent you automatically belong to that country, there's nothing wrong with being of chinese descent, mind you. Have you contributed to china? Have you lived as a citizen of china? Have you endure the hardship, poverty and lack of freedom that is being a chinese citizen? Why are you trying to act like one of them? No offense intended but you're not one of them, the olympics is THEIR success, NOT yours, there's no "we", not really.

Kittonwy

Banned
vpance said:
They were worked hard to entertain us. I say bravo, and thx for the show.

Next time it's mimes and buses ;_;

Don't they have canoes? We can beat down the mimes with teh paddles.
angry.gif

EDIT: Watching NBC rerun, damn that Shawn Johnson is like applepie. I wonder how many of the american athletes have already left. I can't believe Phelps flew all the way to London. They should have flown Bolt there as well, the man dominated 100/200 and will likely dominate for a few more years.
gladtomeetya.gif

Nekobo

Hcoregamer00 said:
Dude, let me tell you.

When they showed him again in the replay, my heart just broke in half. I don't know why, but seeing it made me cry.

Yeah, felt the same. It was already tough seeing Liu Xiang limp away in angst, but seeing the audience and Liu Xiang's coach cry...man. You could feel the life sucked out of the arena. Definitely the biggest disappointment in the games for me.

Anyways, makes me wonder what England will do in 2012. Find a way to resurrect the dead Beatles for an epic reunion concert? A Lord of the Rings rock opera? I can see Gimli now: "...and you have my AX!" ::crazy guitar solo ensues::

Ceres

Banned
Nekobo said:
Yeah, felt the same. It was already tough seeing Liu Xiang limp away in angst, but seeing the audience and Liu Xiang's coach cry...man. You could feel the life sucked out of the arena. Definitely the biggest disappointment in the games for me.

Anyways, makes me wonder what England will do in 2012. Find a way to resurrect the dead Beatles for an epic reunion concert? A Lord of the Rings rock opera? I can see Gimli now: "...and you have my AX!" ::crazy guitar solo ensues::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWf3iJjqYCM

Only problem is they're from New Zealand and not England.

Kittonwy

Banned
Nekobo said:

How badly was he hurt? Some media was saying they might just have felt he couldn't win and they pulled him to save face.

They spent like 6 billion on these olympics, I would expect these kinds of results when they have been drafting kids from a young age, examining their body type and assigning them to train for medal heavy sports, and they're only going to push harder after getting these fantastic results. There's no way America or any country can ever match that, you can't do this stuff in a democracy, no democracy would ever allow the notion of "country sacrificing its people for the benefit of face".

The USA just gives free university careers, and career success btw, to their sport guys and girls, no matter how unable of studying they are. Which is far more democratic but equally stupid.

I didn't know all the US olimpic players had a university career except phelps. I think that doesnt happen anywhere else in the world, where, you know, people need to study hard to success on their studies, not play basketball.

(Anyways, that is a much nicer strategy "for the benefit of face")

neoanarch

If you look at the video he is obviously in pain. I assume he just wanted to race, but after a false start he walked out and he was very visibly dissapointed.

Kittonwy

Banned
Vaandaviii said:
The USA just gives free university careers, and career success btw, to their sport guys and girls, no matter how unable of studying they are. Which is far more democratic but equally stupid.

I didn't know all the US olimpic players had a university career except phelps. I think that doesnt happen anywhere else in the world, where, you know, people need to study hard to success on their studies, not play basketball.

(Anyways, that is a much nicer strategy "for the benefit of face")

I think they do have some minimum academic standards that collegiate athletes have to meet, obviously not everyone can have 1300+ SAT scores just to attend a university when they got skillz. Other universities in other countries give athletic scholarships as well, it's not just a US thing, we have athletic scholarships in Canada as well, obviously sports like football just aren't as big and the universities can't rake in anywhere the kind of money that college football rakes in every year. The difference is that USA can't go and tell you that your kid will be good at, say gymnastics and you have to give up your kid to some program where you can only see your kid once every six months, a swimming coach can go to an american mom and say I can see his potential but she can say no.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Anyone have video of the press conference with Xiang's coach? I caught that part in the NBC broadcast tonight, but hadn't seen the whole thing.

Kittonwy

Banned
neoanarch said:
If you look at the video he is obviously in pain. I assume he just wanted to race, but after a false start he walked out and he was very visibly dissapointed.

I haven't seen that footage, do you have a link? I want to see what happened.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Vaandaviii said:

HAHA, that reminds me. I had a writing class with a football player who didn't know what an adjective or adverb was.

And I go to a university that supposedly has some of the stricter academic requirements for student athletes.

Kittonwy

Banned
Erico said:
HAHA, that reminds me. I had a writing class with a football player who didn't know what an adjective or adverb was.

And I go to a university that supposedly has some of the stricter academic requirements for student athletes.

You should halp him.
angry.gif

Teddman

Kittonwy said:
How badly was he hurt? Some media was saying they might just have felt he couldn't win and they pulled him to save face.
Good theory. Now that I think about it, all those grimaces at the track, the kicking of the wall in the gym... It was a little stagey.

Kittonwy

Banned
Teddman said:
Good theory. Now that I think about it, all those grimaces at the track, the kicking of the wall in the gym... It was a little stagey.

I saw the kicking part, why was he kicking the wall MULTIPLE TIMES when he was too badly hurt to compete?

Phthisis

The end of the Olympics sucks. It leaves such a huge void in my life. For the last two weeks, my entire schedule centered around watching as much of it as I could. I sacrificed sleep to watch the late night events of every sport they showed. There were so many awesome moments of inspirational performance from every country. It's amazing to me that the best athletes from every place humans have ever existed come together and perform with each other.

It's pretty amazing stuff, and I always feel so sad when it's over. That said, I'm definitely going to try and actually go to the Vancouver games in 2010. The pinnacle of my sporting enjoyment is Olympic hockey, and I'll be damned if I don't go watch it myself.

Cruceh

Banned
lunlunqq said:
Sorry about the argument on the war spending. I really don't want to open another can of worm here.

Democracy is great. Chinese government is bad. That I know. There are probably a million other things we can hate on the government. Just let the Olympics alone, OK? It was a huge success! Everybody's happy! Let China have our moment. OK?
Wow, this is the most condescending post I've read all day.

Karakand said:
:lol oh man that traveling argument was legendary

I hope you are talking about the part where i participated!!! im proud of my rage!!!

im peachy now as i said earlier

rewatched the game .... americans travelled when they received the ball in movement most of the time... but oh well im not mad im happy im peachy it was a good game

Nolan.

Kittonwy said:
I think they do have some minimum academic standards that collegiate athletes have to meet, obviously not everyone can have 1300+ SAT scores just to attend a university when they got skillz. Other universities in other countries give athletic scholarships as well, it's not just a US thing, we have athletic scholarships in Canada as well, obviously sports like football just aren't as big and the universities can't rake in anywhere the kind of money that college football rakes in every year. The difference is that USA can't go and tell you that your kid will be good at, say gymnastics and you have to give up your kid to some program where you can only see your kid once every six months, a swimming coach can go to an american mom and say I can see his potential but she can say no.

Sorry but where are you guys getting these things from, are there any proof because i'd like to read more on this (China grabbing kids). Also to answer your question earlier Leona wasn't lipsyncing (probably the only one not to by the looks of the show) she was practicing in some air hanger apparently for it. Plus I suppose i'm about the only one that doesn't feel for Liu Xiang anymore, it just seems to me like it was somehow lead in that direction. I wouldn't be surprised if the same guy responsible for the ceremony constructed that too. Good story though.

linsivvi

You aren't the only one. He's already got a gold medal, is a multi-millionaire, and probably can compete again. Yeah he let many people down, but I think he can live with that. There are countless no-name athletes who've never got anywhere in the Olympics.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nolan. said:
Plus I suppose i'm about the only one that doesn't feel for Liu Xiang anymore, it just seems to me like it was somehow lead in that direction. I wouldn't be surprised if the same guy responsible for the ceremony constructed that too. Good story though.
Zhang Yimou? Psh. He would've made Liu Xiang do the hurdles with one leap, flowers fluttering everywhere behind him as he flew threw the air.

Kittonwy

Banned
speedpop said:
Zhang Yimou? Psh. He would've made Liu Xiang do the hurdles with one leap, flowers fluttering everywhere behind him as he flew threw the air.

At the same time he would be shooting daggers out of his trousers pew pew pew.
Indifferent2.gif

Nolan.

speedpop said:

That reminded me of the advert I saw with liu xiang, where he jumps the hurdle and time stops and matrix style the camera spins around 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom