• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Molina: The epitome of class.

Are the Cards the most unlikable team in professional sports? I'm starting to think so...

Phillies.

Edit: and Jesus titty-fucking Christ, did you forget about the Miami Heat?

beast786

Puddles said:
Yeah, but that's AL, so they'd all probably sweep an average NL team.

Actually , Tigers have a winning or 500 record against every division in AL.. over all 11 above .500 but vs NL they are 4 games below .500.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
DevelopmentArrested said:
RE ALIGNMENT PLEASE
Kansas City will never make the playoffs then.
Puddles said:
Yeah, but that's AL, so they'd all probably sweep an average NL team.
The Central is actually below .500 vs. the NL this year, if that means anything.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
beast786 said:
Obviously. Funny thing was that tigers have usually dominated NL.
probably because they usually get to play the NL Central. This time i think the central played the East.

edit: hmm, on second thought, i think it was a mixture of all divisions. but whatever, that record doesn't really tell you anything.

Oh of course.

6fobkn.jpg

Mgoblue201 said:
The Tigers played mostly the West, I believe.

Yep- Giants 1-2, Dbacks 2-1, Dodgers 1-2, Rockies 1-2 Mets 1-2

ToxicAdam

I think what's the funniest thing about the AL Central is that it's the only division that has 3 teams that have spent 100+ million in salary.

La Russa: "We didn't mean to hit Braun, we meant to get it in real close to send a message."

You accomplished that with the first pitch inside, asshole. This guy is the biggest dickhead in baseball.

ConradCervantes said:
La Russa: "We didn't mean to hit Braun, we meant to get it in real close to send a message."

You accomplished that with the first pitch inside, asshole. This guy is the biggest dickhead in baseball.

Wait. Seriously? Between that and Weaver on Sunday baseball belongs on the Lifetime Movie Network.

If in a important situation I had a YoTU call against me THAT BAD, I might bump and spit on an ump too. Molina is not exactly a guy who flies off the handle here.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB...X=87&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

Nice call, ump. At what point does MLB take into account YoTU in a situation like this? The call is so laughably bad Molina snaps, which he obviously wouldn't if the pitch is a legit strike. So you penalize Molina for losing it due to a horrible ump call and turn a blind eye to the ump? That's not right.

vas_a_morir said:
Frankman... are you trolling?
Did you see the pitch? Really? Are YOU trolling?

It's no different in the NBA when a joke call by a ref is made and a coach intentionally gets thrown out to show how bad the call was. The only good thing that'll come out of this is the thousands of replays on ESPN and hopefully someone says "Hey, that pitch kinda his a ball..." MLB of course will do nothing.

Here's a theoretical for you: Last year when Jim Joyce jobbed Armando Galarraga out of a perfect game, lets' say Armando flew off the handle and bumped Joyce, and was ejected. Tigers lose the game... does Galarraga deserve a 10 game suspension? Bottom line, if the right call is made the reaction never happens, or at least would be purely irrational. It's logic at its simplest. We bitch and moan about YoTU all the time on GAF and we never think of the potential ramifications. Well, here's one.

beast786

The Frankman said:
If in a important situation I had a YoTU call against me THAT BAD, I might bump and spit on an ump too. Molina is not exactly a guy who flies off the handle here.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB...X=87&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

Nice call, ump. At what point does MLB take into account YoTU in a situation like this? The call is so laughably bad Molina snaps, which he obviously wouldn't if the pitch is a legit strike. So you penalize Molina for losing it due to a horrible ump call and turn a blind eye to the ump? That's not right.

lol wat?

How about he sits his ass down like everyone else. And let the umpire evaluation process takes care of it.

Maybe everyone should start spitting and bumping an umpire after a bad call. Yep.. makes perfect sense.

lol

Hmmmm... so by that .gif I can only surmise you're trying to say what, he intentionally spat on him? Let's break that down:

And the key is intent... have you ever been so angry you're screaming at a guy so fast you spit (hence the term "spitting mad")? that's obviously what's happening. I've seen people intentionally spit on umps, and that's not what is happening here (ex. see Robbie Alomar). I've also seen this type of insane anger (ex. see Paul LoDuca) and know that's probably what's going on... I mean dude nearly beat up his own teammate and shoved a coach, he obviously checked out. I think if he wanted to spit on him he'd hawk a fucking loogy on him, or something the viewer would be able to see.

EDIT: the horribad call brought on the overreaction. I'm not condoning what he did, just saying YoTU is the cause of it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Did you see the pitch? Really? Are YOU trolling?

It's no different in the NBA when a joke call by a ref is made and a coach intentionally gets thrown out to show how bad the call was. The only good thing that'll come out of this is the thousands of replays on ESPN and hopefully someone says "Hey, that pitch kinda his a ball..." MLB of course will do nothing.

Here's a theoretical for you: Last year when Jim Joyce jobbed Armando Galarraga out of a perfect game, lets' say Armando flew off the handle and bumped Joyce, and was ejected. Tigers lose the game... does Galarraga deserve a 10 game suspension? Bottom line, if the right call is made the reaction never happens, or at least would be purely irrational. It's logic at its simplest. We bitch and moan about YoTU all the time on GAF and we never think of the potential ramifications. Well, here's one.

Yes. Yes he would.

Molina physically bumped the umpire 3 different times and spit in his face.

Regardless of whatever caused Molina to snap, he went off the rails.

Your position is beyond ridiculous. The umpire made a bad call, it happens. What Molina did is insane and has no business being in sports. I think a 10 game suspension should be the bare minimum.

NBA analogy is awful. If a player did this in the NBA they are looking at least a $100,000 fine and a lengthy suspension. Selig isn't nearly even in the same realm as Stern when it comes to absolutely no criticizing (or bumping and spitting at) the officials. In the NBA you literally get a technical and a fine for looking at a ref the wrong way. Could you imagine if an NBA player got into the grill of a ref, multiple times and spit in his face (accidentally or not) multiple times?

beast786

The Frankman said:
Hmmmm... so by that .gif I can only surmise you're trying to say what, he intentionally spat on him? Let's break that down:

And the key is intent... have you ever been so angry you're screaming at a guy so fast you spit (hence the term "spitting mad")? that's obviously what's happening. I've seen people intentionally spit on umps, and that's not what is happening here (ex. see Robbie Alomar). I've also seen this type of insane anger (ex. see Paul LoDuca) and know that's probably what's going on... I mean dude nearly beat up his own teammate and shoved a coach, he obviously checked out. I think if he wanted to spit on him he'd hawk a fucking loogy on him, or something the viewer would be able to see.

How about he does not put himself in situation where he is physically bumping an umpire and regardless of his intent , spit on his face.

Let me know exactly where do you draw a line on how to abuse an umpire after a bad call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom