• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doytch said:
They were talking about the Astros lineup from last night on the Baseball Today today.
aSszT.png

Asssssssssss.

Looks like the Dodgers lineup. :( They coming into town next week. maybe pushing 20k fans

Celsior

Joe Shlabotnik said:
A-Rod's a moron. That said, Wallace Matthews was probably masturbating as he wrote that.
Suspended him today!
so we can take him off the DL and serve his suspension

eznark

Banned
Doytch said:
i would pay cash money to see a pitcher throw at larussa.

LaRussa bitches to the ump about Hawkins quick-pitching Berkman. So Hawkins proceeds to do it five straight times, strike out Jay looking and walks off the field with a big ol' grin on his face.

So good.

JABEE

eznark said:
Greatest of all time!
No, but he's tied with Prince Fielder for home runs and leads the National League in RBIs. Howard is finally getting some fastballs to hit. Howard is a second half player too.

Dragon

Banned
JABEE said:
No, but he's tied with Prince Fielder for home runs and leads the National League in RBIs. Howard is finally getting some fastballs to hit. Howard is a second half player too.

And he's tied with Casey Kotchman in OPS. Guy is a BEAST.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
TheBranca18 said:
And he's tied with Casey Kotchman in OPS. Guy is a BEAST.
Kotchman wRC+ 132
Howard 121

Kotchman > Howard

0JDoZ.jpg

"Kotch, Kotch, Kotch. I love Kotch."

eznark

Banned
JABEE said:

Before you know it, he'll catch Jonathan Lucroy in WAR! Keep trucking big man!

JABEE

DevelopmentArrested said:
RBI's are you kidding me?
Are you going to say that he hasn't been playing well this week? That's all I was saying and Eznark comes out and mocks me. Whatever, don't even pay attention to re fact that Howard is payed to hit Homeruns and he's starting to hit them to all parts of the field again. Just focus on the RBIs and laugh at me.

eznark

Banned
suck

a

dick

Pujols

Are you going to say that he hasn't been playing well this week? That's all I was saying and Eznark comes out and mocks me. Whatever, don't even pay attention to re fact that Howard is payed to hit Homeruns and he's starting to hit them to all parts of the field again. Just focus on the RBIs and laugh at me.

just puttin it out there...

JABEE

eznark said:
suck

a

dick

Pujols

just puttin it out there...
Paid? Was Howard ever a good player. Even when he hit .313 with 58 HR something only Jimmie Foxx, Roger Maris and Babe Ruth have done legitimately? Do people hate Howard or is it just about putting the Phillies in their place?

Windu

JABEE said:
Paid? Was Howard ever a good player. Even when he hit .313 with 58 HR something only Jimmie Foxx, Roger Maris and Babe Ruth have done legitimately? Do people hate Howard or is it just about putting the Phillies in their place?
yeah he was a good a player. He had a few great years, few good ones but the past two have been brutal. And yes, 2006 he had a great year, top ten player that year...but utley was better.

Dragon

Banned
SafeinSound said:
The constant Howard hate is hilarious.

The guy has an .830 OPS as a first baseman. He deserves the hate when Philly fans prop him up. Chase Utley is much better than him and this year Howard doesn't hold Victorino's jock.

JABEE said:

People are just jealous of the Phils dont let it bother you. Howard has been great since the Phils got Pence, and is well on his way to another MVP.

Windu

yankeehater said:
People are just jealous of the Phils dont let it bother you. Howard has been great since the Phils got Pence, and is well on his way to another MVP.
yeah because idiots vote for the award.

eznark

Banned
JABEE said:

He has had a couple of great years. The last two have been down. Your inability to recognize that fact is what draws the "hate."

JABEE

Windu said:
yeah he was a good a player. He had a few great years, few good ones but the past two have been brutal.
He was great the first half of last year. His power was down but he was hitting around 300. He twisted his ankle last year at the halfway point and his number went down. He played through it. People hate Howard for some reason. I think it has to do with him being overpaid. It still doesn't change the fact that he has historic power numbers and was a big part of a World Championship team.

Eznark said:
He has had a couple of great years. The last two have been down. Your inability to recognize that fact is what draws the "hate."
I recognize the last two years have been down years. I still don't think he will never be "great" again. I've seen Howard carry the team to the playoffs. I still believe he is a good player, but right now his play hasn't been up to the expectations for him.

Windu

1st: .294/.350/.509
2nd: .248/.358/.500

looks to me he had similar halves. Those numbers are nothing special though for a 1st baseman, especially one that has a bad glove.
clemenx said:
Are we going to have this argument everytime JABEE mentions Howard? :lol
well he keeps spewing the same bullshit argument, can't let that stand.

JABEE

Windu said:

1st: .294/.350/.509
2nd: .248/.358/.500

looks to me he had similar halves. Those numbers are nothing special though for a 1st baseman, especially one that has a bad glove.
well he keeps spewing the same bullshit argument, can't let that stand.
What exactly do you think I'm arguing?

Joe

why would people be jealous of the Phils? jealous of their vacant prospect field and uncontrollable debt?

JABEE

Windu said:
well you keep on using RBIs to defend a player, that just tells me that you're dumb.
I'm also using Home Runs. So what you're saying is that Howard's RBI totals can't be used to defend him because they are a product of the team around him? What I'm arguin is that Howard is not a mediocre player because he still is a top HR and run producer in the league. I'm arguing with the "lol Howard" statements.

Dragon

Banned
yankeehater said:
Maybe division championships and WS appearances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7i7efpX4HQ

P.S. Sean McDonough is a great baseball announcer when he doesn't resort to whining about the umps.

JABEE said:
I'm also using Home Runs. So what you're saying is that Howard's RBI totals can't be used to defend him because they are a product of the team around him? What I'm arguin is that Howard is not a mediocre player because he still is a top HR and run producer in the league. I'm arguing with the "lol Howard" statements.

Josh Reddick has more WAR in 300 less at bats than Ryan LOL Howard.

JABEE

yankeehater said:
Howard isnt going to win the MVP, but he's still a good player.

Jubs

yankeehater said:

Jealous of what? Of his atrocious contract? The advanced stats don't lie. He's not the "great" player Philly fans think he is. He was great a few years ago, but now? Decent, but not great. Certainly not worth the $25 mil that's going to kick in next year. There are several first basemen in the NL alone that I would take over Howard.

Just left Miller Park. Great win! Fans in my area were awesome, we were talking shit against La Russa and Pujols all day. Stadium fucking exploded when Pujols fanned to end it. Got tickets for the next series against St Louis later this month, shit's gonna be amazing!

JABEE

Jubs said:
Jealous of what? Of his atrocious contract? The advanced stats don't lie. He's not the "great" player Philly fans think he is. He was great a few years ago, but now? Decent, but not great. Certainly not worth the $25 mil that's going to kick in next year. There are several first basemen in the NL alone that I would take over Howard.
At this point I'd probably say Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder, and Joey Votto. I still think Howard has proven more than the others.

bluemax

Banned
JABEE said:

He has more RBIs than anyone because he bats more often with runners in scoring position.

He has a worse average and OPS with RISP than half the first basemen in the NL.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Corran Horn said:
Beltran surely likes our triples ally in SF :D
He, Pablo, and Keppinger have been fine hitting on this homestand so far. It's everyone else who've been stinking up the joint. At least the rest of them finally decided to hit today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom