• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
JABEE said:
I'm also using Home Runs. So what you're saying is that Howard's RBI totals can't be used to defend him because they are a product of the team around him? What I'm arguin is that Howard is not a mediocre player because he still is a top HR and run producer in the league. I'm arguing with the "lol Howard" statements.
Yes, RBIs are bad because they are team dependent. And yes he is still a above average offensive player.... But not for the position he plays. Add the fact that he isn't that great defensively and is limited to 1st base. Then yeah he is below average. Now if he could play a corner outfield position then he would probably be pretty good, but he can't.

Why do Philly fans on GAF always massively overrate Howard? First Zep, then Jon, now the 3-4 guys who've posted here the last couple of pages.
Taxman said:
How does Lidge get anybody out when he can't even throw an 89 mph fastball for a strike? It's 95% sliders.
The Lidge Rules... Teams don't have a copy of it yet.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Are we having the Ryan Howard discussion again? And are we still arguing over why some basic stats to use for player evaluation aren't good indicators?

Really?

The Frankman said:
Why do Philly fans on GAF always massively overrate Howard? First Zep, then Jon, now the 3-4 guys who've posted here the last couple of pages..
I haven't said anything as of yet on Howard, if anything I tend to focus more on Rollins. That said Howard is hitting stronger recently.

Oh Halladays slide into home was awesome. I finally got a chance to see it a little while ago. Some should gif the crowd reaction as this one guy had a great wtf look on his face. Lol

The Frankman said:
Why do Philly fans on GAF always massively overrate Howard? First Zep, then Jon, now the 3-4 guys who've posted here the last couple of pages.

The Lidge Rules... Teams don't have a copy of it yet.
Uh, you think it's just GAF?

I'm pretty bored with the constant bickering, though.

CajoleJuice said:
Frankman annihilated
I'm talking reputable websites, not crazy owners.
Can't believe someone is defending that play. The kid shit all over himself. No excuse.
... how did you get that out of it?
The Marlins were going to tie the game, regardless of Tuner’s throw to first. And that’s fine. It was a dribbler. It happens. But, his poor throw and lack of decisiveness is what let the lead run score.

The Frankman said:
I'm talking reputable websites, not crazy owners.
Why the hell are you equating gaffers with reputable sites with writers paid to write about baseball, anyway? You talked about "Philly fans on GAF" -- you think Philly fans in general don't overrate Howard? I was really just attacking the "on GAF" part of your post.

Edit: Why am I continuing this discussion.

Puddles

Banned
Howard is 9th in SLG, 13th in OPS among all MLB 1st basemen. Not elite at all.

On that note, James Loney is dead last. FML. We might have gotten something for him if we'd traded him a few years back.

Chase Utley is so fucking good. I was randomly looking at some B-Ref stats: in addition to his 100% SB rate, he's taken the extra base on hits 74% of the time. 74%. League average is 41%.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I bet John Farrell wishes he was back on the team where everybody cheated and not just Bautista.

CajoleJuice said:
Why the hell are you equating gaffers with reputable sites with writers paid to write about baseball, anyway? You talked about "Philly fans on GAF" -- you think Philly fans in general don't overrate Howard? I was really just attacking the "on GAF" part of your post.

Edit: Why am I continuing this discussion.
YOU WERE FOOLED...

Fister isn't doing any better nor worse than what we're use to. If this deal doesn't pan out well in the end I had better see Leyland and Dombrowski gone.

Paches

Square Triangle said:
Fister isn't doing any better nor worse than what we're use to. If this deal doesn't pan out well in the end I had better see Leyland and Dombrowski gone.

On the other hand, I am quite pleased with Furbush's first start as a Mariner. Casper Wells also had a pair of RBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom