• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Doytch said:
Aw wtf, for reals? Wanted to get some games in vs you this year. (NHL 12 future.)

Sabean is a retard when it comes to anything besides drafting pitchers. Actually, he probably doesn't lead the drafts.
We should try and get on the NHL GAF team. I can show you my brick wall impression.

Doytch

Trumbomb. and fuck off liriano. the schadenfreude is glorious right now.
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
We should try and get on the NHL GAF team. I can show you my brick wall impression.
Hopefully it's better than the last time I played, in '10. Barely anyone played, and all the other teams exploited like mad.

harSon

Banned
The Frankman said:
Not acquiring Beltran was the tipping point. Now he'll request to be traded to the Mets.

geez only joking, jakncoke knows it and I thought you also did. Actually I've never seen people outside of me say that here, unless you mean in the media.

I'm just bitter at the probability that it's true :( Franchise is forever cursed!

jeter_vaderchoke1.jpg

Levyne

Banned
Pirates under .500 again?

Cubs relegated to spoiler role again, against one of the teams I actually wanted to do well :( can't do anything right.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JABEE said:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/08/04/trentons-venditte-an-effective-switch-pitcher/

Has anyone heard of this prospect for the Yankees? He plays for the Double A Trenton Thunder. He's an ambidextrous switch pitcher. He's has a 2.82 ERA as a reliever. I've always wondered about if a pitcher could switch hands between pitches against switch hitters, but he must declare which hand he is using before an at bat.

He's more of a gimmick than actual prospect. Nowhere near good enough major league stuff from either side.

And yes the pitcher must declare which side he's pitching from first then the hitter declares which side of the box he will be in. I remember there was a game with him a few years back with him and some switch hitter and an umpire that had no idea what the rule was. Basically a 10 minute delay because neither guy wanted to give the matchup advantage.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Adam Blade said:
Trumbo powa. Too bad he sucks and has no chance at ROY according to this WAR crap.

I'm not arguing the guy sucks, he's just been very pedestrian in general. Sub .300 OBP and an OPS under .800. It's not difficult to see that he's just about league average (at best) for 1B.

He may very well win RotY because being average isn't that awful and simply because he's going to get more PT and more total statistics than an Ackley or Reddick.

I think Jordan Walden's case for RotY in general though should be much stronger than Trumbos.

Macattk15

Adam Blade said:
Trumbo powa. Too bad he sucks and has no chance at ROY according to this WAR crap.

Haha. He is a young Russel Branyan who can't even walk half as often as Branyan. Granted he is a rookie and will most likely get somewhat better ... but whatever.

Nothing is special about him besides the fact that he hits HRs, get over it.

Might wanna shift your argument to Walden getting RotY as that is much more likely to happen imo.

clemenx

Banned
If WAR said that Trumbo was the best rookie evar ywould you call it crap? Confirmation Biasis a bitch.

And I don't think anyone has said that he sucks, he just has the glaring problem of a sub .300 OBP and he isn't even slugging .500 so that's basically unacceptable but he'll keep on hitting HRs somewhat often, HRs makes everyone ignore other problems.

ToxicAdam

There will be some lols to be had when Ubaldo gets lit up in that launching pad in Arlington tonight. Hopefully, the Indians can score 8 runs to keep pace.

eznark

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
There will be some lols to be had when Ubaldo gets lit up in that launching pad in Arlington tonight. Hopefully, the Indians can score 8 runs to keep pace.

How fucking pissed are the Indians that they had to wait this long to start him? What a joke that one inning was.

ToxicAdam

eznark said:
How fucking pissed are the Indians that they had to wait this long to start him? What a joke that one inning was.

If he were a rental, it should have been a deal breaker. But since he is under control for two more years, I am sure they got over it. This deal wasn't made for the 2011 season by the Indians. They just jumped in because the Rockies seemed intent on moving him by the deadline.

Their GM claims that he started him because two other teams had scouts there and the deal wasn't final. Maybe there was some last minute gamemanship (in regards to the finalization of the deal) that isn't being reported.

eznark

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
If he were a rental, it should have been a deal breaker. But since he is under control for two more years, I am sure they got over it. This deal wasn't made for the 2011 season by the Indians. They just jumped in because the Rockies seemed intent on moving him by the deadline.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that. You get to watch him suck for years.

ToxicAdam

eznark said:
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that. You get to watch him suck for years.

If 'suck' means just be a #3 or #4 starter that eats up about 180 innings a year for two seasons while only costing us 11 million dollars. Then I don't see how the Indians can lose.

I think Ubaldo is more a 2/3. Even with the velocity dip (which is disconcerting), he's improved over the course of the year, even if his ERA doesn't reflect it.

Sanjuro

Ubaldo sure as shit should be your ace. He is 27 and having velocity problems. Then he slides to a 2/3 guy and you have him for a couple seasons without negotiating a contract. Should be enough time to make the adjustments to prolong his career.

If you need a 4/5 guy you always have chumps in a pitching starved off-season who you overpay....
ZN5E5.gif

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
I think Ubaldo is more a 2/3. Even with the velocity dip (which is disconcerting), he's improved over the course of the year, even if his ERA doesn't reflect it.

It's disconcerting in relation to his experience. Looking at past pitchers, it seems that pitching in the high altitudes is significantly more damaging to the arm than normal conditions. I think it was Rosenthal who claimed that one doctor told him each inning at Coors was akin to 1.3-1.5 inning elsewhere.

His declining numbers, velocity problems and Coors history aside the reason I am convinced he will be a massive disappointment is because the Rockies gave up on him for no good reason. (While they got a great haul for him, they didn't know what they'd get before shopping him).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom