• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkside31337 said:
Molina got a 5 game suspension.

Evidently bumping and spitting in an umpires face is less egregious than throwing at somebody.
I knew it, couldn't prove the spitting was intentional. Not to mention no one was ever seriously injured chest-bumping an ump as opposed to hitting a guy with a baseball.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
I knew it, couldn't prove the spitting was intentional. Not to mention no one was ever seriously injured chest-bumping an ump as opposed to hitting a guy with a baseball.

Weren't you claiming he shouldn't be suspended at all? Plus, a 5 game suspension for a position players is significantly more games missed that a 10 games for a starting pitcher.

Any word on the Cardinals appealing or will he sit? I imagine they'll at least appeal to try and have him available for the Brewers series.

eznark said:
Weren't you claiming he shouldn't be suspended at all? Plus, a 5 game suspension for a position players is significantly more games missed that a 10 games for a starting pitcher.

Any word on the Cardinals appealing or will he sit? I imagine they'll at least appeal to try and have him available for the Brewers series.
... why do you never read a full post? I said I didn't condone what he did but I understood it and hoped he wouldn't get a ridiculous suspension ONLY BECAUSE a) he didn't intentionally spit on the guy b) umps horrible call caused the reaction and it would seem unfair if he got some 15-gamer while the ump received nothing c) MLB usually takes into account past incidents before ramping up suspensions, and I haven't heard of Molina being a hothead. More a) than anything.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
... why do you never read a full post? I said I didn't condone what he did but I understood it and hoped he wouldn't get a ridiculous suspension ONLY BECAUSE a) he didn't intentionally spit on the guy b) umps horrible call caused the reaction and it would seem unfair if he got some 15-gamer while the ump received nothing. More a) than anything.

Ya, that's all fine, but he got a 5 game suspension which seems reasonable. Who ever claimed he'd get 15 games?

My point is I don't understand your crowing.

eznark said:
My point is I don't understand your crowing.
No use of bold, no italics, no gifs, no embedded YouTube vids, no YTMNDs... that's crowing?

Wait until after this weekend if Mets sweep the Braves. You'll see crowing then.

ToxicAdam

You can't create or plan a good bullpen. It's all voodoo magic. There is no explanation for the 2008 Tampa Bay bullpen being good.

eznark

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
You can't create or plan a good bullpen. It's all voodoo magic. There is no explanation for the 2008 Tampa Bay bullpen being good.
oRVDm.jpg

xbhaskarx

I didn't realize the Red Sox traded for Erik Bedard after the Rich Harden deal fell through... they are both known as injury-prone Canadian pitchers, but the similarities don't end there:

Harden
Wins 57
ERA 3.65
Strikeouts 888

Bedard
Wins 55
ERA 3.69
Strikeouts 888

xbhaskarx said:
I didn't realize the Red Sox traded for Erik Bedard after the Rich Harden deal fell through... they are both known as injury-prone Canadian pitchers, but the similarities don't end there:

Harden
Wins 57
ERA 3.65
Strikeouts 888

Bedard
Wins 55
ERA 3.69
Strikeouts 888
Every game I've seen of Harden he throws 100 pitches in 4 innings.

ToxicAdam

xbhaskarx said:

That's surprising to me. Because with the amount of bitching and kvetching the Seattle fan base has done, you would think his recent stats would have been Carlos Silva-like. I guess it was just all the time on the DL that made them sour.

zychi

Banned
who does everyone have as al and nl mvp at this point?

i'm on the ellsbury for al mvp boat right now
and nl wise i'd go with either kemp or fielder.

ToxicAdam

zychi said:

i'm on the ellsbury al mvp boat right now

Really? I guess he could be in the top 5 ... but nowhere near first.

Bautista, Gonzalez or Miggy Cabrera are my picks.

DevelopmentArrested said:
We lost who cares

THE BRETT LAWRIE ERA IS HERE

how the fuck do you send down Snider over Thames?

Does not compute.

Wasn't Snider specifically told he was going to be up the rest of the year. I like Thames, I like him a lot but Snider deserves to stay up right now. This comes off as a dick move.

bluemax

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Beware MLB....Brett Lawrie is here.

Brett Lawrie's sister > Brett Lawrie.

zychi said:

AL: Bautista
NL: McCutchen

zychi

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Really? I guess he could be in the top 5 ... but nowhere near first.

Bautista, Gonzalez or Miggy Cabrera are my picks.
yeah, i'm on ellsbury, because his ~80 runs are why gonzo has so many rbis this year.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28637/jacoby-ellsbury

i cant get the stats to format properly on this board so excuse the ugliness
could be the first red sox player with 20 hr/30sb
82 runs
65 rbi
31 sb
886 ops
.317 avg
18hr
.373 obp

he's a BIG reason the red sox are doing so well, he's padding pedroia's stats and gonzo's rbi, he's taken the leadoff away from crawford after crawford has been hurt/struggling.

the three you mentioned are right there, but like i said, gonzo's stats arent as good without ellsbury's 82 runs.

e: and tito is on pti saying ellsbury is 1 of top 5 guys in league after i post this. heh

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
this is kinda neat

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/defensive-independent-hitting-or-shh/
fangraphs said:
Should Hit = -60 + 277(BB%) + -184(K%) + 1133(HR%) + 465(BABIP or xBABIP)
by using this excel file

fkSKE.jpg

and this file to find out the xBABIP

PQCM8.jpg

we get the the result that Jason Heyward "should hit" about 119 wRC+ this year. He had a 134 wRC+ in 2010.

edit: Freddie Freeman also comes out at 119 wRC+

39tg3.jpg

edit: Ryan Howard 134 wRC+

ShFNY.jpg

edit1: average first base wRC+ this season is around 123. (qualified players)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
zychi said:

AL - Pedroia
NL - Upton

If the DBacks stick around through September then Upton should be getting a whole lot more love.

Windu

i'd still give Bautista the award in the AL, but its close. A lot closer than i thought it would be at the beginning of the season. And you could make a case for Reyes, Kemp and McCutchen in the NL.
Code:
fWAR AL

Bautista  6.9
Pedrioia  6.8
Zobrist   5.7
Ellsbury  5.7

fWAR NL

Reyes     5.6
Kemp      5.3
Upton     5.3
McCutchen 5.2
edit: the highest non-AL East player is Alex Gordon at 4.7. 7th.

edit2: and i'd choose Braun or Weeks over Fielder.

Windu

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
No chance in hell Bautista wins the AL MVP.
perhaps, but maybe the votes for Pedrioa might get split up between him, Ellsbury and Gonzalez. Right now i'm thinking Gonzalez is going to win it in the AL because of the RBIs.

clemenx

Banned
I agree there isn't a clear choice for the NL. With Kemp in the obscurity that is the Dodgers. Reyes injury and Pirates dying with McCutchen's chances. I'd love to see Upton win it, if he can keep hitting like this for 2 months he'll definitely deserve it.

clemenx said:
I agree there isn't a clear choice for the NL. With Kemp in the obscurity that is the Dodgers. Reyes injury and Pirates dying with McCutchen's chances. I'd love to see Upton win it, if he can keep hitting like this for 2 months he'll definitely deserve it.
If Reyes can get back to hitting .350 I think he's got it. Obviously if the Mets can stay close in the race that helps too (stupid writers).

Jose Reyes in one word --- Should I use Thrilling, Exciting, or Skittles?

Sanjuro

Windu said:
perhaps, but maybe the votes for Pedrioa might get split up between him, Ellsbury and Gonzalez. Right now i'm thinking Gonzalez is going to win it in the AL because of the RBIs.
Triple MVP. I don't think I've ever seen such a 1-2-3 punch in my life.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Sanjuro Tsubaki, we need a guy to take over in our dying MLB 11: The Show league. You have to take the Yankees. Deal?
I'd bite, but no longer have the game. Madden future.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bedard with a strong 1st inning and his arm is still attached to his body.

Good start!

Eric Bedard now has as many 1-2-3 innings playing for the Sox as Andrew Miller does for the whole season.

Macattk15 said:
Why does Youkilis cry everytime he gets a called strike 3 on him.

Oh wow. The M's already called up Trayvon Robinson.

Good kid. Have fun with him...Was ready to be called up in L.A. for backup insurance before trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom