• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jp arencibia
jparencibia9 jp arencibia
Just read the dumbest article on ESPN about us getting signs? I'm hitting 200 and we get signs at home, that makes sense? #clowns
1 minute ago

eznark

Banned
BigJonsson said:
jp arencibia
jparencibia9 jp arencibia
Just read the dumbest article on ESPN about us getting signs? I'm hitting 200 and we get signs at home, that makes sense? #clowns
1 minute ago

It does make sense when you realize JP Arencibia is trash.

JP Arencibia
Teams/pitchers need to accept when we kick their ass in the rogers centre n not give excuses... Looks like we had verlanders signs

He is gonna get in shit from AA for tweeting about this lol

RGriffinStar Richard Griffin
Yankee players recall seeing the same man in the same Rogers Centre seat multiple times -- in sports we call that "a season ticket holder."

eznark

Banned
BigJonsson said:
RGriffinStar Richard Griffin
Yankee players recall seeing the same man in the same Rogers Centre seat multiple times -- in sports we call that "a season ticket holder."

haha

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So Kyle Gibson "avoided" going under the knife for Tommy John surgery according to the second opinion the Twins got yesterday. He was diagnosed with a partial tear of his UCL and they want to "rest & rehab" his arm before putting him under the knife.

What a horrible idea. I hate this team's medical staff so much. If he has the surgery now he has 18 months to recover for spring training 2013. If he rests & rehabs and blows his arm out in spring training next year, he's probably not ready until 2014. I just do not understand this.

Blackface

Banned
They aren't talking about the mentally retarded guy that goes to every Jays game, that does stupid shit with his arms on certain pitches are they?

I also love the ONLY time ESPN covers the Jays is when it's something negative. Same with the Raptors.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
There is a braves fan dressed up as a Indian at just about every game, he must be our sign stealer. He isn't very good at it though.
Ryan Braun Not About To Look Like An Idiot By Attempting Diving Catch In Outfield said:
ST. LOUIS—Saying he wasn’t about to make an idiot out of himself on national television by splaying across the field like some kind of asshole, Milwaukee Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun opted to play a fly ball on a hop Tuesday night instead of “looking stupid” by trying to make a diving catch. “First off, it would have made me look desperate, which is humiliating enough,” Braun said during a postgame press conference, adding that in addition to the embarrassment of potentially missing the fly ball, he would have then had to stand around in front of tens of thousands of people with grass stains on his uniform. “If it’s between saving a run or saving my dignity, I’m going to go with dignity every time.” Braun did however admit it would have been impossible to look dumber than Prince Fielder, who at the time was sitting on first base eating mozzarella sticks out of his pocket.
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/ryan-braun-not-about-to-look-like-an-idiot-by-atte,21076/

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
BigJonsson said:
lawl

ESPN is just upset that Bautista plays in Toronto

Actually they're just upset that the Jays are a bunch of cheats. Read the article before you go lol ESPN.

Last time Double-A got so upset and issued a denial was the notion that he somehow had a pre-draft deal with Tyler Beede.

Every team in baseball works out pre-draft deals with these guys who are going to be difficult to sign. You'd have to be moronic to not work out deals with high school kids who are going to be hard to sign. Yet for some reason he threw a damn hissy fit. Nobody in MLB cared about it, because it happens all the damn time.

Doing the same exact thing this time. Even if it isn't true don't bother giving the story more legs. I'm surprised there isn't somebody in the Jays organization who will stop AA from putting his foot in his mouth.

darkside31337 said:
Actually they're just upset that the Jays are a bunch of cheats. Read the article before you go lol ESPN.
I read the article. I didn't see a single shred of evidence. 4 anonymous Yankee relievers eye-witness reports amounts to exactly jack shit. Amy Nelson needs to take the pinstriped dick out of her ass.

Last time Double-A got so upset and issued a denial was the notion that he somehow had a pre-draft deal with Tyler Beede. Every team in baseball works out pre-draft deals with these guys who are going to be difficult to sign. You'd have to be moronic to not work out deals with high school kids who are going to be hard to sign. Yet for some reason he threw a damn hissy fit. Nobody in MLB cared about it, because it happens all the damn time.
Oh no, AA threw a tantrum about pre-draft deals! Who gives a flying fuck? As long as he keeps ripping off other GMs for their star players, I certainly don't.

Doing the same exact thing this time. Even if it isn't true don't bother giving the story more legs. I'm surprised there isn't somebody in the Jays organization who will stop AA from putting his foot in his mouth.
Yeah, he's a regular JP Riccardi.

Joe

oh so that's why Bautista has so many homeruns.

15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 55. yeah that seems like a normal jump in production.....

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nobody gives a crap about pre-draft deals. That's why his reaction was so stupid.

It's the same thing this time. Just issue the vaguely worded generic denial of any wrong doing statement and give it to media.

Just ignore all the shit. It's like he learned nothing from JP.

I don't know and really don't care if the Jays were cheating. That's up to MLB investigate and not ESPN and not Toronto to talk about in public.

Doytch

dont yankee fans have some marianoriverahasa2.23eratheskyisfalling blogs to comment under? at least then i wouldnt have to read their idiocy in this thread.

Joe said:
oh so that's why Bautista has so many homeruns.

15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 55. yeah that seems like a normal jump in production.....
He has a 1.030 OPS and 17 HRs on the road this year. Is the man in white following him? Good job, idiot; go back to PED accusations.

darkside31337 said:
Just ignore all the shit. It's like he learned nothing from JP.
Right, because AA is always talking about trades as he is about to make them isn't he?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Several Jays had extreme splits in 2010. Bautista, for example, had a 1.118 OPS (on-base plus slugging) with 33 homers at home but an .879 OPS and 21 dingers on the road. First baseman Adam Lind had a .759 OPS with 15 homers in Toronto but a .660 OPS with eight bombs on the road. Second baseman Aaron Hill? His home-road OPS split was .730-.605. Shortstop Yunel Escobar was traded from Atlanta to Toronto in July 2010, and he has an .865 OPS at Rogers as a Jay but a .683 mark on the road. And then there's Vernon Wells. The outfielder had a .990 OPS and 21 home runs in Toronto last season but crashed to .699 with 10 jacks away from Rogers Centre. This past winter he was traded to the Angels and has a .552 OPS in Halos home games.

Now, by themselves, the above splits aren't conclusive, so to measure the effect of Rogers Centre more precisely, The Mag consulted with Wyers. He has developed a method that generates park factors by comparing a player's performance in any given park with his performance in all other parks, not just in road games for that player. This reduces statistical noise and offers a better estimate of how a park actually plays in a given season. Wyers found that for every ball that batters made contact with in 2010, Rogers added .011 home runs, up from a rate of just .002 from 2005 to 2009. That puts Rogers Centre in 2010 among the top 3 percent of home run ballparks since 1950.

But only the Blue Jays, and not their opponents, got a home run boost in Toronto. When the Jays were on the road in 2010, they hit home runs in 4 percent of plate appearances in which they made contact, compared with an AL average of 3.6 percent. At Rogers, their home run on contact rate soared to 5.4 percent, which is a home-field advantage seven times the magnitude teams typically enjoy.

Opposing batters, however, actually homered on contact at a below-average rate in Toronto. As a result, the power differential between home and visiting hitters at Rogers in 2010 was the third largest of any park in any season over the past 60 years (see chart).

Just a summary for people who couldn't bother to read. Wyers isn't looking to grind an axe, he's just merely pointing out what the numbers indicate.

Vernon Wells is clearly the most damning piece of circumstantial evidence there is though.

Doytch

ok, for all the dumbfucks:
1) skydome is a hitters park. players will have better offensive stats in skydome.
2) look at 2009 or 2011 stats and the jays 'advantage' at skydome is the same as other teams.

Fenix

darkside31337 said:
Vernon Wells is clearly the most damning piece of circumstantial evidence there is though.
It's too bad the Jays didn't employ sign-stealing at home in 2009, even though it's insinuated in the article that they did.

Wells' OPS splits:
Home: .633
Road: .799

Joe

Doytch said:
ok, for all the dumbfucks:
1) skydome is a hitters park. players will have better offensive stats in skydome.
2) look at 2009 or 2011 stats and the jays 'advantage' at skydome is the same as other teams.
i don't know who to trust...the worldwide leader in sports or a random gaffer.....hm.

Doytch

Fenix said:
It's too bad the Jays didn't employ sign-stealing at home in 2009, even though it's insinuated in the article that they did.

Wells' OPS splits:
Home: .633
Road: .799
i remember the talk that wells was playing poorly because he was being booed.
i don't know who to trust...the worldwide leader in sports or a random gaffer.....hm.
troll or dumbass, take your pick.

or stop being a lazy dipshit and look at the stats yourself. you are on the internet.

jakncoke

Banned
harSon said:
http://i.imgur.com/cuoMV.jpg[Img]

Between all the shit talking, yelling, ruining Giant's chants, etc... my voice is pretty much completely gone. Going to be difficult to shit talk tonight :([/QUOTE]

So that makes you what 0-16 at Pirates games? XD Also congrats on the weight loss.

harSon

Banned
jakncoke said:
So that makes you what 0-16 at Pirates games? XD Also congrats on the weight loss.

Give or take a few games, yes :(

I'm sorry to tell you that we'll be losing today too, I'm on the Cal Train to San Fran as we speak!

And thanks!

Dear god. This is the greatest day of the season. No more Scott Proctor. This is just as awesome as Nate McLouth being demoted to AAA last season.

jakncoke

Banned
harSon said:
Give or take a few games, yes :(

I'm sorry to tell you that we'll be losing today too, I'm on the Cal Train to San Fran as we speak!

And thanks!

Well at least i can keep my expectations in check haha.

harSon

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Dear god. This is the greatest day of the season. No more Scott Proctor. This is just as awesome as Nate McLouth being demoted to AAA last season.

I remember being pissed off at the Pirates' past fire sales, but it seems ownership knew what they were doing, because pretty much everyone we have given away has been absolute shit since leaving :D

harSon said:
I remember being pissed off at the Pirates' past fire sales, but it seems ownership knew what they were doing, because pretty much everyone we have given away has been absolute shit since leaving :D

McLouth started off really strong this year. The Braves had a double header against the Brewers in the first week of May. McLouth reached base in every plate appearance, including a home run off Zack Grienke. He average was up to .281 after the double header. But he totally nosedived after that.

darkside31337 said:
Just a summary for people who couldn't bother to read. Wyers isn't looking to grind an axe, he's just merely pointing out what the numbers indicate.

You're telling me that sports players have an advantage of playing at home over the road? THIS IS SHOCKING TO ME. Guess what? The New York Yankees and 4 other teams had a higher home/road split in OPS in 2010 than the Blue Jays. Where's the article on them? Posada had a home/road OPS split of .922/.694. What a little fucking cheater!

2010 Home/Road Splits:

Bautista: 1.118/.879
Lind: .759/.660
Hill: .730/.605

A-Rod .920/.790
Teixeira .968/.728
Jeter .790/.633

This mysterious man in white looks like he's helping the Yankees too!

Joe said:
i don't know, what would a gullible shitstain do?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
harSon said:

And most of them were absolute shit before they left.

Anyway back to Jays stealing signs, this all goes back to the fact that Cito Gaston was the manager. He was notorious for stealing signs all the way back to the 90's on his incredible ability to steal signs.

Anyway the Yankees don't have to worry about signs being stolen when Sabathia is on the mound. There is literally nowhere you can put the guy in White, Sabathia's body blocks off all vision to center field.

DevelopmentArrested said:
You're telling me that sports players have an advantage of playing at home over the road? THIS IS SHOCKING TO ME. Guess what? The New York Yankees and 4 other teams had a higher home/road split in OPS in 2010 than the Blue Jays. Where's the article on them? Posada had a home/road OPS split of .922/.694. What a little fucking cheater!

I'm not even saying that the Jays cheated. I have no idea why Jays fans are getting so defensive. All I'm saying is when you have multiple players and coaches saying the Jays are cheating (and not just the cheating Yankees), you have data to suggest that the Jays are getting some of the greatest of all time historical home field advantage, and then you have data to suggest real wonky things like when Aaron Hill and Vernon Wells really suck it's stronger than each little bit of data on their own.

I'm more bothered that AA hasn't ordered everybody on his team to shut up about this. A back and forth is exactly what ESPN wants, why the hell are you doing what they want you to do? The issue isn't going to away by talking about it in public.

dmag1223

Sigh....When it rains it pours. Lose Major league leading 27th 1 run game last night, stranding 10 runners and going 0-9 with risp, Now Brandon Philips needs an x-ray and may be done for the season. Oh yeah, This is a day after Zack Cozart says hes leaning towards season-ending surgery. Damn.

darkside31337 said:
All I'm saying is when you have multiple players and coaches saying the Jays are cheating (and not just the cheating Yankees), you have data to suggest that the Jays are getting some of the greatest of all time historical home field advantage, and then you have data to suggest real wonky things like when Aaron Hill and Vernon Wells really suck it's stronger than each little bit of data on their own.
So all we need is a few chickenshit anonymous Jays relievers to spew some shit about the Yankees and how they had a higher OPS home/road split than the Jays last year and we'll make it to the front page of ESPN?! Yessss

Adam Blade said:
Jays fans seem kinda defensive.

Well, the Jays are the ones being accused. Fans are merely pointing at the stats and brushing off the trolls. Also, any team that can, will steal signs. This mysterious "man in white" bullshit is hilarious though.

Also, why not just release details about the game? There might be footage of the guy in the stands. If this happened at more than one game, there should be at least some footage of this guy doing the signs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Fuck you Atlanta! YOU BASTARDS!! Releasing Scott Proctor for no good reason! He was the lynchpin of the Atlanta bullpen!

Fenix

DoctorWho said:
Well, the Jays are the ones being accused. Fans are merely pointing at the stats and brushing off the trolls. Also, any team that can, will steal signs. This mysterious "man in white" bullshit is hilarious though.

Also, why not just release details about the game? There might be footage of the guy in the stands. If this happened at more than one game, there should be at least some footage of this guy doing the signs.
For fun, I went through the Spring 2010 games against AL Teams (ie June and earlier) and picked out the home games where Bautista had a strikeout, I ruled out final games of a series, as the article mentions the players of the opposing ballclub went out on the field to check out the view from the plate:

Apr 13, 14 vs. CHW
Apr 16 vs. LAA
Apr 26 vs. BOS
Apr 29, May 1 vs. OAK
May 28, 29 vs. BAL
Jun 1 vs. TB
Jun 5 vs. NYY

Out of those, he only also homered in the game against Boston, striking out the next at bat.

Also worthy of note was that it was his 4th home run that year.

Anyone want to take a look at that game?

Anyone have J.P. Arencibia's twitter?

The Frankman said:
So with all that sign-stealing you'd think Toronto would have a better record... God they must suck.

We fired the guy after the no-hitter from Verlander.

"Man-in-White" is set to be my favourite new meme around baseball.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Nobody in the Jays organization told JP about the Man-in-White because the first thing he would have done is gone on Twitter to talk about it.

Rollins had a 15 pitch at bat before popping out in the first at bat. Is this bizzaro world? Usually it takes 1 pitch in his first at bat. Way to work that pitch count though. 30 pitch first inning for Billingsley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom