• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
I'm on the Cal train back to San Jo. The curse continues.... Still haven't seen the pirates win in person. I shouldn't have sold my ticket for yesterdays game. Hopefully we win tomorrow. My throat hurts from all the shit ttalking and yelling :(

Macattk15 said:
As long as Texas stays ahead of the Angels I am ok with everything.

Dang you salty...

Mo with back 2 back choke jobs...
Dodgers hurting again.Gordon getting hurt.

Seeing Texas pull a mini Guile comeback. Ichiro & King Felix needs to leave town now!!!!

I guess Im a little salty too losing 2 in a row having 19 hits in the 2 games.

Macattk15

sf2fanatic said:
Dang you salty...

Mo with back 2 back choke jobs...
Dodgers hurting again.Gordon getting hurt.

Seeing Texas pull a mini Guile comeback. Ichiro & King Felix needs to leave town now!!!!

I guess Im a little salty too losing 2 in a row having 19 hits in the 2 games.

Not really. I have forever hated the Angels.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Talkingchop said:
According to a report from the Gwinnett Braves Broadcaster and WSB Radio Sports Director Tony Schiavone, Atlanta Braves relief pitcher Scott Proctor has finally been released. The club has also promoted another one of their top pitching prospects, and one of the Four Horsemen of the Pitchocalypse, reliever Arodys Vizcaino. This is a great day for the Atlanta bullpen, and the blood pressure of Braves fans everywhere!
please be true

edit: bowman just reported it, it's true. Hooray!

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-suspicion-again-stealing-signs-rogers-centre

When Yankees manager Joe Girardi suggested the Blue Jays were illicitly stealing signs in mid-July, it was not the first time ESPN had heard such an allegation. In the summer of 2010, one of our reporters interviewed several players about allegations of sign-stealing from the outfield seats at Rogers Centre. Then in January, Colin Wyers, a contributor to ESPN Insider who writes for Baseball Prospectus, provided independent analysis that showed statistical deviations in Toronto's hitting stats that he considered too great to be random chance. (Wyers was unaware of the ESPN reporter's information.)

Now, by themselves, the above splits aren't conclusive, so to measure the effect of Rogers Centre more precisely, The Mag consulted with Wyers. He has developed a method that generates park factors by comparing a player's performance in any given park with his performance in all other parks, not just in road games for that player. This reduces statistical noise and offers a better estimate of how a park actually plays in a given season. Wyers found that for every ball that batters made contact with in 2010, Rogers added .011 home runs, up from a rate of just .002 from 2005 to 2009. That puts Rogers Centre in 2010 among the top 3 percent of home run ballparks since 1950.

But only the Blue Jays, and not their opponents, got a home run boost in Toronto. When the Jays were on the road in 2010, they hit home runs in 4 percent of plate appearances in which they made contact, compared with an AL average of 3.6 percent. At Rogers, their home run on contact rate soared to 5.4 percent, which is a home-field advantage seven times the magnitude teams typically enjoy.

Opposing batters, however, actually homered on contact at a below-average rate in Toronto. As a result, the power differential between home and visiting hitters at Rogers in 2010 was the third largest of any park in any season over the past 60 years (see chart).

By themselves, these numbers are circumstantial evidence. Unsupported by data, the four players' accounts might describe a scheme of uncertain impact. And without proper context, the Yankees' decision to mask their signs could be chalked up to paranoia. But together, the numbers, the stories and the actions indicate one certainty: Every pitch to a Blue Jay in Toronto is worth watching.

LOL

Brinbe

talisayNon said:
yeah...
28ass20.gif

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6837424/baseball-toronto-blue-jays-suspicion-again-stealing-signs-rogers-centre

Blue Jays sign stealing controversy? Or is the rest of the leage butt-hurt that Bautista is kicking their ass?

"Not too easy, is it?"

From the visitors bullpen at Rogers Centre in Toronto, an American League pitcher screamed at Blue Jays right fielder Jose Bautista as he took his position late in a game in the spring of 2010.

"It's not too [f------] easy to hit home runs when you don't know what's coming!"

The enraged player and his teammates could hardly believe what they had seen in the previous inning. As they sat on the perch above the right-field bullpen at Rogers, they caught sight of a man dressed in white about 25 yards to their right, out among the blue center-field seats. And while the players watched, the man in white seemingly signaled the pitches the visiting pitcher was throwing against the Jays, according to four sources in the bullpen that day.

The players weren't exactly sure how the man in white knew what was coming -- maybe, they thought, he was receiving messages via his Bluetooth from an ally elsewhere in the stadium who had binoculars or access to the stadium feed. But they quickly picked up the wavelength of his transmissions: He was raising his arms over his head for curveballs, sliders and changeups. In other words, anything besides fastballs.

Check the link for the rest.

I know pretty much everyone is trying to steal signs, but this is just hilarious.

DoctorWho said:
"Not too easy, is it?"

From the visitors bullpen at Rogers Centre in Toronto, an American League pitcher screamed at Blue Jays right fielder Jose Bautista as he took his position late in a game in the spring of 2010.

"It's not too [f------] easy to hit home runs when you don't know what's coming!"

The enraged player and his teammates could hardly believe what they had seen in the previous inning. As they sat on the perch above the right-field bullpen at Rogers, they caught sight of a man dressed in white about 25 yards to their right, out among the blue center-field seats. And while the players watched, the man in white seemingly signaled the pitches the visiting pitcher was throwing against the Jays, according to four sources in the bullpen that day.

The players weren't exactly sure how the man in white knew what was coming -- maybe, they thought, he was receiving messages via his Bluetooth from an ally elsewhere in the stadium who had binoculars or access to the stadium feed. But they quickly picked up the wavelength of his transmissions: He was raising his arms over his head for curveballs, sliders and changeups. In other words, anything besides fastballs.

il1aFK.jpg

Doytch

Red Sox OPSd higher when playing the Jays at Skydome than when playing them in Fenway. Can't believe we let them get their sign-stealers in position.

ToxicAdam

I think the Indians need to recruit John Adams (the guy who bangs the drum at every home game) to steal signs and pass it along in drumbeats.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I'm going to the game, so your victory is assured. (My record is awful this year.)

Actually, I'm going to the game, so rain is assured.
I think it's awesome how the Anglols are the only AL team with a winning record against the Yankees in the past decade.

eznark

Banned
The obvious answer is that Bautista only shoots up at home and down-cycles when on the road.

No sign stealing involved.

harSon

Banned
cuoMV.jpg

Between all the shit talking, yelling, ruining Giant's chants, etc... my voice is pretty much completely gone. Going to be difficult to shit talk tonight :(

Double-A addressing the media at 3:45 regarding the ESPN article. Don't know why he's bothering with this shit. Just ignore it and let it go away.

Brinbe

DoctorWho said:
Double-A addressing the media at 3:45 regarding the ESPN article. Don't know why he's bothering with this shit. Just ignore it and let it go away.
Definitely... just giving this shit credence/more attention by having to address it at all. So ridiculous.

eznark

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
why are you wearing a football jersey to a baseball game #hatethatshit

He has been a Pirates fan for like a month and a half, can't expect him to change his wardrobe over night.

harSon

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
why are you wearing a football jersey to a baseball game #hatethatshit

To be fair, I've recently dropped from 290 pounds to something just south of 220 (and have dropped from 351 to this weight overall), so pretty much all the gear I used to wear doesn't fit. Even the Steelers jersey, which I just bought at the beginning of the last NFL season, is way to big on me now. Plus I'm wearing a Pirates cap and the jacket is a Pirates vintage satin starter. I was also wearing this (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11773102) underneath the jersey.

I also had a terrible towel :)

eznark

Banned
harSon said:
To be fair, I've recently dropped from 290 pounds to something just south of 220 (and have dropped from 351 to this weight overall),

Depression-enduced lack of appetite? You should send Aaron Rodgers a thank you note!

congratulations, dude

harSon

Banned
eznark said:
Depression-enduced lack of appetite? You should send Aaron Rodgers a thank you note!

congratulations, dude

Thanks!

And the dates do line up pretty well for your deduction :( I guess I got super fat during the glory days!

I posted a before and after from ~290 to ~220 in the weight thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29856425&postcount=8076 (I'm wearing a Pirates hat in my before picture, which was taken longer than a month and a half ago!)

I'll post one of when I was 351 sooner or later...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
well its a good thing you are not a lifelong pirates fan, you might have starved to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom