• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkside31337 said:
Yeah. Tigers got lucky as hell that wild pitch bounced into the stands :(

If Ramon would have played off that ball that hit him in the foot it'd be a 3-1 game right now!

Holy shit, Tigers won. My heart is at ease.

clemenx

Banned
The Deus Ex reviews are making me sad. I was selfishly expecting the game to suck because I don't have money atm to fix my Gaming PC :( Want to play it so bad.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
verbum said:
He is amazing. I thought we would have trouble replacing Wagner but we actually got an upgrade.
yeah i was worried about that a little bit too. Thankfully kimbrel has fixed his control problems that plagued him in the minors.

The bullpen was actually my biggest worry coming into the season lol. (it was really more about the middle relief though)

verbum

Windu said:
yeah i was worried about that a little bit too. Thankfully kimbrel has fixed his control problems that plagued him in the minors.

The bullpen was actually my biggest worry coming into the season lol. (it was really more about the middle relief though)

Now we have Vizcaino for the 6th, O'Flaherty for the 7th, Venters for the 8th, and Kimbrel for the 9th.
The only trouble is we have Lowe pitching tomorrow, and the above may be needed tomorrow as well. Then what do you do about Thursday? Pray that Beachy goes 7 innings.

clemenx

Banned
Kimbrel is fucking awesome but pleaaaaaaaaaase stop giving relevance to saves. No one should care that he broke Feliz's "record"

Windu

verbum said:
Now we have Vizcaino for the 6th, O'Flaherty for the 7th, Venters for the 8th, and Kimbrel for the 9th.
The only trouble is we have Lowe pitching tomorrow, and the above may be needed tomorrow as well. Then what do you do about Thursday? Pray that Beachy goes 7 innings.
yeah i would like for the starters to go longer, but only if its smart to do so. One thing that i think Fredi does really well is know when to pull the starters. Usually when a starter gets through the batting order a third time a reliever is more effective. But of course you have to keep your bullpen fresh. Its quite the balancing act. Capitol Avenue Club had a great article a few weeks back on this topic http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=4657. Also, there was a article today about what the postseason bullpen might look like http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=4809.
clemenx said:
Kimbrel is fucking awesome but pleaaaaaaaaaase stop giving relevance to saves. No one should care that he broke Feliz's "record"
yep. Funny thing is kimbrel might win the ROY for all the wrong reasons. Voters will probably vote for him because he has all the saves, they love saves. Of course he deserves it so i won't complain.

verbum

clemenx said:

Jesus saves, Kimbrel saves as well. I'm not sure Kimbrel can break Jesus's record though.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So Braves are still 6.5 back, but we've played 3 more games than Philly, and Philly's upcoming schedule is going to be a tough stretch (minus that series in Houston).

verbum

Windu said:
yeah i would like for the starters to go longer, but only if its smart to do so. One thing that i think Fredi does really well is know when to pull the starters. Usually when a starter gets through the batting order a third time a reliever is more effective. But of course you have to keep your bullpen fresh. Its quite the balancing act. Capitol Avenue Club had a great article a few weeks back on this topic http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=4657. Also, there was a article today about what the postseason bullpen might look like http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=4809.
yep. Funny thing is kimbrel might win the ROY for all the wrong reasons. Voters will probably vote for him because he has all the saves, they love saves. Of course he deserves it so i won't complain.

Good articles. Money Ball is out in 3 weeks.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
dmag1223 said:
Man, the reds have got to find a way to get Alonso's bat into the lineup everyday next year. The dude's a stud.

Actually in the completely opposite boat, his inability to play anywhere on the field is useless for an NL team.

Should really ship him over to an AL team who are looking for a DH, like the Rays who have plenty of guys who the Reds would be interested in on the way back.

Doytch

DoctorWho said:
If the Diamondbacks and Phillies meet in the playoffs, sorry Halladay, I want Johnny Mac to go all the way.
ohhhh shiiiit, emotional conflict. i dunno. halladay is my favourite ever....dont think i could root against him. though i do like the dbacks way more than the phillies...

Alex Gonzalez drew a bases loaded walk? Jason Heyward hit a grand slam and finished with three hits? What reality is this?

Oh well, Constanza will be back tomorrow!

Sharp

Doytch said:
ohhhh shiiiit, emotional conflict. i dunno. halladay is my favourite ever....dont think i could root against him. though i do like the dbacks way more than the phillies...
Root for Halladay to win his games and the Phillies to lose the series. Simple!

Windu

CygnusXS said:
So Braves are still 6.5 back, but we've played 3 more games than Philly, and Philly's upcoming schedule is going to be a tough stretch (minus that series in Houston).
if we get to within 4 games before we play the Phillies in early September (1st of 6 games left) then i will believe.
verbum said:
Good articles. Money Ball is out in 3 weeks.
didn't realize it was so close, awesome.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Are you guys actually looking forward to the movie?

It's going to be such a media darling and be a complete bastardization of the book. I'll be checking it out just to get a few laughs out of Kotick at the very least.

Sharp

I don't even understand why it matters whether the Braves take the WC or win the NL East, they and the Phillies are both pretty much locks for the playoffs. It's not like anyone really cared when the Rays won the AL East over the Yankees last year.

Looks like Tommy Hanson's going to be out even longer. He cut a bullpen session short after 9 pitches yesterday with shoulder discomfort. He was unable to throw his scheduled side session today with shoulder soreness.

Windu

wtf padres wtf
Sharp said:
I don't even understand why it matters whether the Braves take the WC or win the NL East, they and the Phillies are both pretty much locks for the playoffs.
oh it doesn't really matter, but yellow division pennant > ugly white wild card pennant at Turner Field. Of Course if we win the WS we will get a red one, so yeah doesn't matter.
AnEternalEnigma said:
Looks like Tommy Hanson's going to be out even longer. He cut a bullpen session short after 9 pitches yesterday with shoulder discomfort. He was unable to throw his scheduled side session today with shoulder soreness.
great sigh

verbum

Sharp said:
I don't even understand why it matters whether the Braves take the WC or win the NL East, they and the Phillies are both pretty much locks for the playoffs. It's not like anyone really cared when the Rays won the AL East over the Yankees last year.

My opinion is that the Braves would be better off at home instead of traveling to Phoenix, Milwaukee, or San Francisco to start a playoff.

verbum said:
My opinion is that the Braves would be better off at home instead of traveling to Phoenix, Milwaukee, or San Francisco to start a playoff.

Braves will destroy whoever comes out of the West if that is who they open with.

Both the Braves and Phillies are going to kick the shit out of whoever they face in the NLDS so it doesn't really matter whoever is home or away. They have the pitching to calm down Milwaukee's bats.

If something crazy doesn't happen, Braves/Phillies is going to be an epic-as-shit NLCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom