• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubs

If the playoffs were to start today, the Braves would play the Brewers, right? I dunno mang. Tough matchup. They got the pitching and two MVP candidates in their lineup.

Jubs said:
If the playoffs were to start today, the Braves would play the Brewers, right? I dunno mang. Tough matchup. They got the pitching and two MVP candidates in their lineup.

Greinke's anxiety will destroy him in the playoffs. BOOK IT.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
meh anything can happen in the playoffs. I don't like picking favorites.

Yeah. Trying to extrapolate data from a 162 game marathon and force it to fit the narrative of a 5 or 7 game series is never a good idea.

You get into the dance and anything can happen. Especially if you have some starting pitching.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
it sucks that we are even talking about this right now. its not even September! These races suck this year.

verbum

darkside31337 said:
Yeah. Trying to extrapolate data from a 162 game marathon and force it to fit the narrative of a 5 or 7 game series is never a good idea.

You get into the dance and anything can happen. Especially if you have some starting pitching.

Did anyone east of the Rockies think the Giants would beat the Phillies last year?

verbum said:
Did anyone east of the Rockies think the Giants would beat the Phillies last year?

Yes lots of analysts mentioned how down the Phils offense was last year, and that both Linecum and Cain have ridiculous numbers against the Phils. Joe Blanton also started a playoff game for the Phils that series, no way was it a lock going in.

JABEE

yankeehater said:
Yes lots of analysts mentioned how down the Phils offense was last year, and that both Linecum and Cain have ridiculous numbers against the Phils. Joe Blanton also started a playoff game for the Phils that series, no way was it a lock going in.
People in Philadelphia did not want to see the Giants last year. The Giants were the only team that could match the Phillies' pitching staff.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
methodman said:
Just happened a few nights ago when panda hit that two run home run in the 12th or whatever, right?
I mean when we are down 3+ runs. Not tied or 1 run games.

and...yep....Fucking Padres.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Sharp said:
I don't even understand why it matters whether the Braves take the WC or win the NL East, they and the Phillies are both pretty much locks for the playoffs. It's not like anyone really cared when the Rays won the AL East over the Yankees last year.
Pride.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
GiantsPlayoffChances.gif

dmag1223

darkside31337 said:
Actually in the completely opposite boat, his inability to play anywhere on the field is useless for an NL team.

Should really ship him over to an AL team who are looking for a DH, like the Rays who have plenty of guys who the Reds would be interested in on the way back.
Well he could play 1st, but of course Votto's there. Apparently, they are trying him out at third, but who knows if that will work. You're right though, an Alonso/Grandal trade would get the reds a good return. I would rather see what he could do at 3rd before shipping him away though.

Honestly, the reds need to look at shopping Votto during the offseason. He's signed for a few more years, but the consensus is that he is going to walk after that. They could get a great return in a Votto trade, and could move Alonso over there.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma said:
FREDI TOOK HIS BOYS TO OCTOBER! UMAD?
the players could have managed themselves this season and probably won just as many games. I can't wait to watch fredi over manage in the playoffs.

PHILADELPHIA — Injuries continue to come in waves for the Mets, who may soon place starting pitcher Jon Niese and outfielder Scott Hairston on the disabled list with ribcage injuries.

Niese, whose start had been pushed back a day after he tweaked a muscle in his right side last week, aggravated the injury on a pitch to Hunter Pence in the third inning Tuesday. His greater mistake was staying in the game. Unable to command his pitches down in the zone, Niese served up a three-run homer to the next batter, John Mayberry, Jr., allowing eight runs in total on the night.

“I don’t know if I damaged it more,” Niese said. “I doubt it. But it’s one of those things where I can’t pitch with it. I’ve just got to get it better.”

Already in need of one spot starter for next Monday’s doubleheader against the Marlins, the Mets will almost certainly place Niese on the disabled list unless he shows marked — and immediate — improvement. Without the luxury of flexibility in their starting rotation, the team will likely call up both Chris Schwinden and Miguel Batista, or perhaps Pat Misch, from Triple-A Buffalo to pitch the two games of Monday’s doubleheader.

Though Niese’s injury may not require two full weeks to heal, the Mets, needing pitching, simply cannot proceed with a day-to-day situation.

“It’s hurting,” Niese said. “I feel terrible. I should have said something after that at-bat, but I let the game get away and I just feel awful for it. I did the best I could with what I had. But it’s one of those things where I’ve just got to get it better.”

Falling to 11-11 on the season with a 4.40 ERA, Niese is now 2-3 with a 6.82 ERA over his last six starts.

The news was no better for Hairston, who underwent an X-ray after injuring his left intercostal muscle on a swing in the seventh inning. Though the Mets were still awaiting the results of that test late Tuesday night, Hairston is almost certainly headed to the disabled list.

“I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking a swing the way it feels now,” he said. “That could change in the next couple days.”

The team’s primary right-handed pinch-hitter and occasional starter against lefty pitchers, Hairston was batting .235 with seven home runs. Three of those homers have come in 40 pinch-hit at-bats.
This is nuts.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Both the Braves and Phillies are going to kick the shit out of whoever they face in the NLDS so it doesn't really matter whoever is home or away. They have the pitching to calm down Milwaukee's bats.

If something crazy doesn't happen, Braves/Phillies is going to be an epic-as-shit NLCS.

It's been the Brewer's pitching, both the starting rotation and the bullpen, that's carried them during their hot stretch. Greinke/Gallardo/Marcum, while not comparable to the the top of the rotation of the Braves/Phillies, shouldn't be dismissed.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
It's been the Brewer's pitching, both the starting rotation and the bullpen, that's carried them during their hot stretch. Greinke/Gallardo/Marcum, while not comparable to the the top of the rotation of the Braves/Phillies, shouldn't be dismissed.

Ya, calming the bats hasn't generally been a problem for anyone. Last week they won what, five in a row scoring 3 runs or fewer? It's been tremendous pitching.

It'll be interesting to see what the lineup looks like when Weeks comes back. I'm hoping Roenicke is smart and keeps things as they are up top but moves Weeks to the five spot. Hart has been getting on base at a .355 clip the last month of the season, no reason to drop him down. Weeks is a significantly more complete bat to have behind Fielder than Hart.

I'm hoping the Diamondbacks pull something out of their ass and knock out the Phillies though. I'd give the Brewers a better than even shot of beating the Braves.

Talon

Went to the Braves - Cubs game last night. That Heyward GS looked like an out all the way - thank God for that Chicago wind! Also, Bourn is so damn fast. He didn't even get a good jump on his first stolen base. The second was an obvious get. Both of Soto's throws were actually right on the dime, but there was no doubt on either.

Kimbrel is a beast, and his little gorilla preen on the mound is hilarious live.

vas_a_morir said:
My predictions are always wrong, but I'm telling you: The Brewers with home-field against the Braves smells like an Milwaukee NLDS win to me.

Road wins in Miller Park are almost non-existent for Brewers opponents this year....47-16 home record.

if it is Brewers with 3 games at home, and you get Gallardo, Grienke, then Marcum to beat....i don't see anyone winning that series other than Milwaukee.

homer or not...that it as tough a series to win as you will get.

AlanzTalon said:
Road wins in Miller Park are almost non-existent for Brewers opponents this year....47-16 home record.

if it is Brewers with 3 games at home, and you get Gallardo, Grienke, then Marcum to beat....i don't see anyone winning that series other than Milwaukee.

homer or not...that it as tough a series to win as you will get.

The Braves had the best home record in MLB last year and proceeded to lose both games in Atlanta to the Giants in the NLDS. You can throw all that stuff out when the playoffs start. Anything can happen.

AnEternalEnigma said:
The Braves had the best home record in MLB last year and proceeded to lose both games in Atlanta to the Giants in the NLDS. You can throw all that stuff out when the playoffs start. Anything can happen.

well yeah, but until then if we are going to speculate, then all you can do is look at probabilities and percentages.

said differently....it is more likely, given what we know thus far, that Milwaukee would win in a hypothetical home series against Atlanta.

but that is why they play the games, as it were...

turnbuckle

Square Triangle said:
I cannot believe Brad Penny survived today.

Couldn't believe it either. Same for Coke - we were destined to lose that one but somehow pulled a rabbit out of our hat. The bottom of the 9th was incredibly tense.

Nice to see the Indians and Sox facing Weaver and King Felix respectively today. Hope we get the good version of Scherzer on the mound tonight. I won't be comfortable until we have a 10 game lead.

VRMN

Watching the Indians continue to self-destruct, at home, against the Mariners, just fills me with such immense joy for some reason.

But the White Sox are still the team that I'm most worried about and have been for a while now. Still, 6 games up with about a month left and the Tigers basically playing the division the rest of the way at least feels somewhat secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom