• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
lol at Neil Walker right there

edit: catchers interference, eh?

edit: ump is a punkass bitch.

edit2: should of had him last pitch. fucking ump.

edit 3: Pirates win, Brewers lose

Feels+Good+Man.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i would say enjoy it while it lasts, but goddamn, the central sucks (still better than the NLOL west though). So maybe, just maybe the pirates will still be in this by september.

bluemax

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
You can have Franklin Gutierrez for a mid level prospect

I'd like to think that his offensive shit stain of a season this year aside, Franklin still has more value than that.

This ignores the fact that the Mariners would be crazy to trade him. He's still on a reasonable contract and his value is lower than peak right now.

Levyne

Banned
sn1pes said:
Dem Buccos.

As a Cubs fan, Pirates have absolutely owned us the last couple years. I can't help but feel partially responsible for the success they have...

:(

I'd be happy seeing either them or Brewers win the division.

methodman said:
So... Vogelsong just went 6 2/3 scoreless. He now leads the league in era and has a 7-1 record. Booya

And his only loss was giving up 1 run...

Dodgers looked horrible against him. I feel bad for Kemp because hes been swinging at bad pitches lately. Hes been trying too hard to keep them floating...Hate to see him leave next year...

Puddles

Banned
I expect to see a movie about Vogelsong starring Kevin Costner pretty soon. Dude is a fucking movie character. Best pitcher in the league at 33 after failing miserably as a starter when he was younger? WTF is this shit? Fuck the Giants.

Billingsley, btw, is the anti-Vogelsong. All the hype in the world as a youngster only to turn out a head-case.

sf2fanatic said:
And his only loss was giving up 1 run...

Dodgers looked horrible against him. I feel bad for Kemp because hes been swinging at bad pitches lately. Hes been trying too hard to keep them floating...Hate to see him leave next year...

Dodgers will be lucky to win 60 games next year after Kemp and Ethier walk. Kershaw will probably leave too as soon as he's able. I expect they'll keep Billingsley around to average five innings a game and give them an ERA around 4 every year with the occasional 12 strikeout shutout that makes you think he might regain his All-Star talent (he won't).

Puddles said:
Dodgers will be lucky to win 60 games next year after Kemp and Ethier walk. Kershaw will probably leave too as soon as he's able. I expect they'll keep Billingsley around to average five innings a game and give them an ERA around 4 every year with the occasional 12 strikeout shutout that makes you think he might regain his All-Star talent (he won't).

They have Bills for a couple more years. Just wondering with the money situation if the other 3 will be able to resign. Kemp wants to stay with L.A.

rc213

sf2fanatic said:
They have Bills for a couple more years. Just wondering with the money situation if the other 3 will be able to resign. Kemp wants to stay with L.A.

He really doesn't, Probably only if the team gets sold. He just learned from Ethier opening his big mouth just before the season started. Why piss off the few fans left in the stands, He's going to get paid no matter what.

Puddles

Banned
sf2fanatic said:

They aren't re-signing anyone. The Dodgers will probably have a payroll of like $40 million next year. Good to know they locked up Billingsley though. We're guaranteed at least the league average ERA from 1/5th of the rotation for a few more years. Got that much going at least.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Puddles said:
I expect to see a movie about Vogelsong starring Kevin Costner pretty soon. Dude is a fucking movie character. Best pitcher in the league at 33 after failing miserably as a starter when he was younger? WTF is this shit? Fuck the Giants.

:)

Puddles said:
They aren't re-signing anyone. The Dodgers will probably have a payroll of like $40 million next year. Good to know they locked up Billingsley though. We're guaranteed at least the league average ERA from 1/5th of the rotation for a few more years. Got that much going at least.

Im looking at the roster now and it looks like it for next year around the 40m.

Only a few are signed for next year.. I dont know whether to LOL or :( Plus getting a steal right now from Kersh. Dont have to worry about Kuroda's 12 mil next year. Also overpaying(yeah I said it) Ethier 9m this year. Kemp making less than Dre. They should let Brox go..Just bring in a whole new team. Move to Downtown L.A.

Marleyman

Banned
Windu said:
i would say enjoy it while it lasts, but goddamn, the central sucks (still better than the NLOL west though). So maybe, just maybe the pirates will still be in this by september.

I don't think the Central sucks at all, well the Cubs and Astros suck, but the top teams are solid as can be.

Dragon

Banned
Marleyman said:
I don't think the Central sucks at all, well the Cubs and Astros suck, but the top teams are solid as can be.

Solid as can be with a run differential of +52 combined for the top four teams? I'd say the division is incredibly mediocre. It's not the AL Central but c'mon.

Maxim726X

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Beltran would be a solid pick-up for the Pirates.

Hey, since the Mets are willing to pick up his entire contract... Why not?

Lord knows those fans have been waiting long enough to make some kind of post-season push. I would love to see them make it.

Marleyman

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Solid as can be with a run differential of +52 combined for the top four teams? I'd say the division is incredibly mediocre. It's not the AL Central but c'mon.

The Reds are one of the best hitting teams in the NL though. Pujols is now back healthy and the Brewers have bats. The Pirates are the only team that lacks in the hitting area, but a trade for Beltran would change that considerably.

Marleyman

Banned
Maxim726X said:
Hey, since the Mets are willing to pick up his entire contract... Why not?

Lord knows those fans have been waiting long enough to make some kind of post-season push. I would love to see them make it.

Been waiting since I was 12 and Sid Bream was safe at home...long wait.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the Twins are kicking around the idea of trading for Jon Rauch. Who they decided to not re-sign in the offseason.

Bill Smith has to be one of the five worst GMs in baseball.

Maxim726X

Lambtron said:
Apparently the Twins are kicking around the idea of trading for Jon Rauch. Who they decided to not re-sign in the offseason.

Bill Smith has to be one of the five worst GMs in baseball.

Well... Yeah. Look at that Mauer contract.

dmag1223

Marleyman said:
The Reds are one of the best hitting teams in the NL though. Pujols is now back healthy and the Brewers have bats. The Pirates are the only team that lacks in the hitting area, but a trade for Beltran would change that considerably.
Lol. As you saw last night, this is simply not true. We have an all or nothing offense, that strikes out too much, bats .200 with 2 outs and runners in scoring position, and like .150 with the bases loaded. The pirates are fine, as long as their starting pitching holds up.

Lol just saw the reds are 5-36 with runners in scoring position since the break, truly pathetic.

JABEE

Phillies are supposedly after Leo Nunez of the Marlins according to Jerry Crasnick the Marlins want young starting pitching in return.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Maxim726X said:
Well... Yeah. Look at that Mauer contract.
The Mauer contract is one of the few things Smith did right. There's much hand-wringing over it, but he is getting paid around what he's worth.

Per FanGraphs:

Code:
[b][U]Year[/u]	[U]WAR[/U]	[U]Dollars[/U][/b]	
2005	3.4	$11.7	
2006	6.4	$23.7	
2007	3.1	$12.8
2008	6.2	$28.1
2009	7.9	$35.4
2010	5.6	$22.2
His play was worth $133.9 million over those 6 years, which is an average yearly value of ~$22.32 million. His contract is for $23 million per year. It may have been a slight overpay, but if he'd been a free agent after 2010 the Yankees & Red Sox absolutely would have been in on him, and I'm sure he would've ended up with a similar contract.

Now, do I think he'll be putting up 5 WAR in 2018? Probably not. Do I think he'll be a first baseman from 2012 until the end of his contract? No. He'll primarily catch for the next 5-6 years, and play at DH & 1B a bit to rest his legs. Mauer is a hell of a lot better player than people give him credit for. He doesn't have massive power, but he has a career OBP over .400, and has good gap power. He doesn't need to hit 20 homers a year to earn his contract.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
As he and his coaches gathered in the clubhouse long before the start of Monday's series opener against the Rockies at Coors Field, Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez asked who had the highest on-base percentage among Jordan Schafer, Nate McLouth and Jason Heyward.

When his coaches quickly responded, "Schafer," Gonzalez chuckled because he had held the same belief before he opted to look at the stats on this humid afternoon in Denver. This proved to be a case where the numbers didn't match what these coaches felt they had seen over the past couple months.

"Their [numbers are] all about the same," Gonzalez said. "But you feel like Schafer is doing so much more."
9xu5N.jpg

we're doomed

Maxim726X

Lambtron said:
The Mauer contract is one of the few things Smith did right. There's much hand-wringing over it, but he is getting paid around what he's worth.

Per FanGraphs:

Code:
[b][U]Year[/u]	[U]WAR[/U]	[U]Dollars[/U][/b]	
2005	3.4	$11.7	
2006	6.4	$23.7	
2007	3.1	$12.8
2008	6.2	$28.1
2009	7.9	$35.4
2010	5.6	$22.2
His play was worth $133.9 million over those 6 years, which is an average yearly value of ~$22.32 million. His contract is for $23 million per year. It may have been a slight overpay, but if he'd been a free agent after 2010 the Yankees & Red Sox absolutely would have been in on him, and I'm sure he would've ended up with a similar contract.

Now, do I think he'll be putting up 5 WAR in 2018? Probably not. Do I think he'll be a first baseman from 2012 until the end of his contract? No. He'll primarily catch for the next 5-6 years, and play at DH & 1B a bit to rest his legs. Mauer is a hell of a lot better player than people give him credit for. He doesn't have massive power, but he has a career OBP over .400, and has good gap power. He doesn't need to hit 20 homers a year to earn his contract.

He's great, no doubt... But 23 million per year is a bit steep, as you have pointed out. Obviously if he can continue producing like he did during his 2008 and 2009 seasons, then it's a great deal.

And you're right, it was a deal that had to be made. Can't lose a player born and raised in Minnesota to the Yanks or Sawx.

eznark

Banned
Lambtron said:
Book it. 100 games behind the dish, 30 somewhere else in the field (1B, LF), 20 at DH.

So at the age of 34 he is finally, for the first time in his career, going to play 150 games? lol

Guy is averaging 133 games a year from 22 to 27 and all of a sudden he is going to play 150, including 100 behind the plate, at 34? (this doesn't count the current season where he will be lucky to get to 100)

delusional!

And 660+ games on the DL apparently. 5-6 seasons indeed!

Oh, well, looking at it this way your prediction seems far more reasonalbe Lambtron.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
XiaNaphryz said:
And 660+ games on the DL apparently. 5-6 seasons indeed!
Well, he's a lazy wimp, what can I say.

Y2Kev said:
Fangraphs war overstates value of slap singles Hitters a la Mauer and Brett Gardner.
bWAR values Mauer even higher.

Code:
[B][U]Year[/u]	[u]fWAR[/u]	[u]bWAR[/u][/B]	
2005	3.4	3.4	
2006	6.4	7.0	
2007	3.1	4.6
2008	6.2	8.7
2009	7.9	7.9
2010	5.6	5.9

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
So at the age of 34 he is finally, for the first time in his career, going to play 150 games? lol

Guy is averaging 133 games a year from 22 to 27 and all of a sudden he is going to play 150, including 100 behind the plate, at 34? (this doesn't count the current season where he will be lucky to get to 100)

delusional!
I was mostly pulling numbers out of my ass to demonstrate that there are many ways to use him. I guess I could've said "2/3 of his games behind the plate, and 1/3 split between DH and 1B" but hey.

Honestly, having him start at 1B is going to give Gardenhire more roster flexibility, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing in more games as result. Right now most of the complaints about Mauer's durability are because Gardenhire doesn't play him in day games after night games and other stupid things like that. Shifting him around will help give him somewhat lighter workload on his body, but keep him in the lineup more days. Next year they also won't likely have 4 guys who should be DHs on the roster, so it'll be easier to shift someone to DH and Mauer to 1B or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom