• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbum

Windu said:
9xu5N.jpg

we're doomed

I read that article and immediately thought "How will windu take this? Will he slash the veins longwise or across? Will he be in a tub of warm water at home or will he run out on the field just before the game starts and do it?" : )

Since its not stats, is "luck" behind the record of 31-16 since Shaffer was put in the #1 spot? Some interesting theories in the comments section after the article.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
verbum said:
Since its not stats, is "luck" behind the record of 31-16 since Shaffer was put in the #1 spot? Some interesting theories in the comments section after the article.
Correlation =/= Causation

Confounding variables.

Marleyman

Banned
Maxim726X said:
Dude you have my respect. You're a true fan and I hope you're enjoying this season.

It is such a strange feeling around here; people that were expecting the bottom to drop out are even starting to come around. I followed them just as much as ever over the years, so this year is surreal.

Marleyman

Banned
dmag1223 said:
Lol. As you saw last night, this is simply not true. We have an all or nothing offense, that strikes out too much, bats .200 with 2 outs and runners in scoring position, and like .150 with the bases loaded. The pirates are fine, as long as their starting pitching holds up.

They are still leading the NL in runs scored, 2nd in hits, 2nd in RBI's, 5th in slugging, and 3rd in HR's. But yeah, they do strike out too much and sucks with RISP. Still though, only 3 less RBI's than St. Louis(2nd overall in the NL) is solid.

eznark

Banned
Marleyman said:
It is such a strange feeling around here; people that were expecting the bottom to drop out are even starting to come around. I followed them just as much as ever over the years, so this year is surreal.

I'm generally a jerk so you can definitely take this with a grain of salt but wow, the Pirates have a brutal second half. Just in the division they play St. Louis 13 more times, the Brewers 10 more times and the Reds 8 more times.

I feel like they will fade, significantly. Outside of Karstens, the pitching has been getting results that outpace their performance. Speaking of Karstens, not a chance he is a full season 1.0 WHIP guy. I think they're going to crash fairly hard.

I made every one of these same points (more forcibly with their pitching at the time) when the White Sox won the whole sheebang though, so this is probably good news for you!

AJC is reporting the Braves have stepped up their interest in Beltran, but admits there are still teams going after him harder than them.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
AnEternalEnigma said:
AJC is reporting the Braves have stepped up their interest in Beltran, but admits there are still teams going after him harder than them.
With all the talk going around today about demoting Heyward, I have a feeling that whatever the Braves end up doing (unless they end up doing nothing), I'm not going to like it.

eznark said:
I'm generally a jerk so you can definitely take this with a grain of salt but wow, the Pirates have a brutal second half. Just in the division they play St. Louis 13 more times, the Brewers 10 more times and the Reds 8 more times.

I feel like they will fade, significantly. Outside of Karstens, the pitching has been getting results that outpace their performance. Speaking of Karstens, not a chance he is a full season 1.0 WHIP guy. I think they're going to crash fairly hard.

I made every one of these same points (more forcibly with their pitching at the time) when the White Sox won the whole sheebang though, so this is probably good news for you!

This next 12-game stretch is really going to define the Pirates:

2 vs CIN
3 vs STL
4 @ ATL
3 @ PHI

If they can come out of that with at least a 6-6 record, they're for real in my book.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
verbum said:
I read that article and immediately thought "How will windu take this? Will he slash the veins longwise or across? Will he be in a tub of warm water at home or will he run out on the field just before the game starts and do it?" : )

small sample/other players performing better etc..
CygnusXS said:
With all the talk going around today about demoting Heyward, I have a feeling that whatever the Braves end up doing (unless they end up doing nothing), I'm not going to like it.
where is this talk coming from?

Windu said:
where is this talk coming from?

This is the first I've heard of this as well.

It wouldn't shock me though. Heyward's having an incredibly disappointing season after starting off April hot. I know a lot of it's been injury-related, but they may just have him go to AAA for August to chill out and get his swing right for the stretch run. Sort of like what they did with Nate McLouth last season. Nate was a beast in September when he came back, so it worked for him.

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:

I am not scared of the Cardinals right now; they are vulnerable IMO. The Brewers on the other hand....

eznark said:

Their schedule is definitely going to be brutal, but their pitching staff and bullpen has been stellar, even against "better" teams. I get why you are saying what you are saying, but they really are a wild card right now(not literally).

eznark said:

Hey, whatever gets them over the hump I will take.

Marleyman

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
This next 12-game stretch is really going to define the Pirates:

2 vs CIN
3 vs STL
4 @ ATL
3 @ PHI

If they can come out of that with at least a 6-6 record, they're for real in my book.

I feel the same way; 6, hopefully 7 wins from those games are crucial.

verbum

CygnusXS said:
It was all over twitter this morning. It originated here: http://mlb.mlblogs.com/2011/07/19/braves-have-shown-interest-in-beltran/

Basically, it's Mark Bowman being stupid, but you never know.

Basically, its the under performance this year and periods of injury mounting up.
I say keep him until the end of his current contract. Let him bat for at least another season. He may be a slow learner.
I think Freeman's success has made people think "Why isn't Heyward doing that?" He has to learn to adapt since MLB pitching has adapted to him. "Low inside and low way away" are all he is seeing.

Jubs

AnEternalEnigma said:

I rather have Michael Bourne. But if the price is right for Beltran, then sure.

To make room for Jose Reyes on the roster, Ruben Tejada has been sent to Triple-A.

Collins basically said Tejada has some things to work on and that he appears tired, but he wants him to be able to play shortstop on an everyday basis in the event the team is unable to retain Reyes after this season.
I'm a bit surprised but it's the right move. Let Tejada get playing time in Triple A while Turner/Murphy alternate between 2nd/3rd. Duda seems to have the 1st base job for now.

Jubs said:
I rather have Michael Bourne. But if the price is right for Beltran, then sure.
metsBlog said:
...For instance, Gammons believes the Mets could acquire Mike Minor and another prospect in a deal from Braves, who are ‘very serious’ about acquiring a bat.

He believes the Giants will be interested, “but they’re stubborn about giving up prospects.
Minor and a good B prospect might get it done.

JABEE

According to Ken Rosenthal the Phillies and Red Sox are the most aggressive on Beltran and that Beltran's interest is so high he could be traded days if not more before the deadline.

Maxim726X

The Frankman said:
I'm a bit surprised but it's the right move. Let Tejada get playing time in Triple A while Turner/Murphy alternate between 2nd/3rd. Duda seems to have the 1st base job for now.

Minor would be amazing.

If he can get an extra prospect in addition to Minor- He's a fucking genius.

Dragon

Banned
I don't see why the Sox need Beltran personally. They score enough runs and they don't have really any decent prospects that would make the Mets pay most of what's left for him.

Jubs

The Frankman said:

Minor and another prospect for three months of Beltran? Fuck that. Someone else can go ahead and overpay then.

Maxim726X

Jubs said:
Minor and another prospect for three months of Beltran? Fuck that. Someone else can go ahead and overpay then.

If there really are a few interested teams... Someone will overpay. The question is, what team will it be?

Big series against Texas and they start off with Chatwood? LOL

I actually like our chances against the Giants tonight... Both P's with same ERA and WHIP(almost)

E: Giants prob looking for shortstop now since Tejada went down

SaskBoy

Snider is starting CF today for the Blue Jays? Should be interesting.

Honestly I think he will do a better job than Patterson.

Doytch

SaskBoy said:
Snider is starting CF today for the Blue Jays? Should be interesting.

Honestly I think he will do a better job than Patterson.
Finally! Been waiting for this.

Also, this is gonna be the first time I see Pineda.

Macattk15

YEAH! Fuck you Brett Cecil. Dustin Ackley doesn't like your goofy face.

Oh god I hear the Reds talked to the M's about Figgins. I don't even give a fuck if the M's eat the rest of his salary. GET HIM OUT OF MAH FACE.

Macattk15

Soft line drive double + stolen base + check swing bloop single + check swing seeing eye single = Seattle Mariners offensive explosion.

WHATCHA GONNA FUCKING DO TORONTO?!

rando14

Macattk15 said:
YEAH! Fuck you Brett Cecil. Dustin Ackley doesn't like your goofy face.

Oh god I hear the Reds talked to the M's about Figgins. I don't even give a fuck if the M's eat the rest of his salary. GET HIM OUT OF MAH FACE.

Prediction: once Figgins leaves the M's, he'll hit .300 again. Seems like the kind of thing he'd do.

Macattk15

rando14 said:
Prediction: once Figgins leaves the M's, he'll hit .300 again. Seems like the kind of thing he'd do.

I don't even care at this point. Do you?

And yeah he probably will since he'd actually get to lead off and I think that is his only problem. Every time he gets to lead-off for the M's (rarely) he hits.

rando14

Macattk15 said:
I don't even care at this point. Do you?

Ahahahaha not at all. Dump Figgins, give 3B to Kennedy (since Seager has been a pretty big disappointment so far). It'd be nice to get something for Figgins though. :/

Fenix

Macattk15 said:
Soft line drive double + stolen base + check swing bloop single + check swing seeing eye single = Seattle Mariners offensive explosion.

WHATCHA GONNA FUCKING DO TORONTO?!
Hit dingers?

Doytch

Do you even know what just happened Macattk15??? The ball went out of the stands and that bad, bad man jogged around the bases.

Macattk15

Doytch said:
Do you even know what just happened Macattk15??? The ball went out of the stands and that bad, bad man jogged around the bases.

I don't, I haven't seen a fucking Mariner home run in a month I think.

I want a fire sale but I know it won't happen.

Doytch

Yeah, I gotta say, having awesome pitching is nice, but I much prefer watching the 2010/11 Jays to the 2007ish Jays who were insane (Doc, good Burnett, Marcum, McGowan) pitching-wise but dogshit offensively. As soon as you're losing you pretty much give up.

Macattk15

YEAH! TACOMA RAINIERS!

Doytch said:
Yeah, I gotta say, having awesome pitching is nice, but I much prefer watching the 2010/11 Jays to the 2007ish Jays who were insane (Doc, good Burnett, Marcum, McGowan) pitching-wise but dogshit offensively. As soon as you're losing you pretty much give up.

Exactly. It fucking sucks to watch the current Mariners. It really does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom