• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meier said:
That just illustrates how inconsistent he has been.
Roy Halladay has been the most consistent. He is an absolute machine. He doesn't have a shutout this year, yet his ERA is 2.44. He's only let up more than 4 earned runs ONCE.

ToxicAdam

bigtroyjon said:
It's amazing that Laffey gets DFA'd because he was too shitty for the Mariners but is somehow pitching high leverage innings for the Yankees weeks later.

Laffey's a lefty who can get a lot of ground balls. He's always going to get a job a somewhere.

Meier said:
That just illustrates how inconsistent he has been.

LOL. Cliff has been amazing this year. He had a slow start and then a little bit of a rough patch during the middle of the year, but it is crazy to call him inconsistent. I guess you are right he hasnt been 4-0 with like a 0.3 ERA every month, only 2.

hubes

yankeehater said:
LOL. Cliff has been amazing this year. He had a slow start and then a little bit of a rough patch during the middle of the year, but it is crazy to call him inconsistent. I guess you are right he hasnt been 4-0 with like a 0.3 ERA every month, only 2.
I'm pretty sure having 3 months of over 3.5 era and 2 months with less than .5 era is basically the definition of inconsistent.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
hubes said:
I'm pretty sure having 3 months of over 3.5 era and 2 months with less than .5 era is basically the definition of inconsistent.

Bad luck isn't the same thing as inconsistent. His K-BB ratios were basically the same in all those months. He was consistently dominant even if the results didn't match.

darkside31337 said:
Bad luck isn't the same thing as inconsistent. His K-BB ratios were basically the same in all those months. He was consistently dominant even if the results didn't match.
How is getting hits off a pitcher bad luck?

darkside31337 said:

take sanchez off your avatar heathen

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
cuevas said:
How is getting hits off a pitcher bad luck?

His BABIP on the season is basically the same as AJ Burnett's.

512_1636_P_cseason_full_7_20110909.png

Pitchers fully control three things, strikeouts, walks and home runs and don't control anything else. It's a slight exaggeration to be sure but pitchers can't control their defense and generally can't control the ball being hit and put into play.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's also a slight exaggeration to say that's all pitchers can control. Unless you think Rivera supressing babip is just a 15 year run of good luck.

Edit: oh you said fully. I didn't see that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Y2Kev said:
It's also a slight exaggeration to say that's all pitchers can control. Unless you think Rivera supressing babip is just a 15 year run of good luck.

Edit: oh you said fully. I didn't see that.

Right the three things a pitcher fully controls it's just a general rule of thumb. Like 95% of aces will have extremely solid K rates, not walk many guys and not give up a lot of home runs.

Cliff Lee has been consistent all season long. The way he has actually given up runs though has been inconsistent. But the results have been there all year long and at the end of the season his numbers are still god damn Cliff Lee.

Some guys have BABIP's consistently lower than the norm while some guys are always above it. Mo's entire career defies any type of logic, so him defying the laws of BABIP is hardly surprising.

darkside31337 said:
Right the three things a pitcher fully controls it's just a general rule of thumb. Like 95% of aces will have extremely solid K rates, not walk many guys and not give up a lot of home runs.

Cliff Lee has been consistent all season long. The way he has actually given up runs though has been inconsistent. But the results have been there all year long and at the end of the season his numbers are still god damn Cliff Lee.

Some guys have BABIP's consistently lower than the norm while some guys are always above it. Mo's entire career defies any type of logic, so him defying the laws of BABIP is hardly surprising.
Halladay has still been more consistent.

CajoleJuice said:
I'm just being a broken record because Halladay is the best pitcher in the NL.

Oh yeah. Even though he hasnt had as good a year this year as last. I have been more impressed with how he can gut out games without his best stuff.

Sharp

yankeehater said:
Oh yeah. Even though he hasnt had as good a year this year as last. I have been more impressed with how he can gut out games without his best stuff.
Wait, how is he not as good this year as he was last

He has like a 2.10 FIP

Sharp said:
Wait, how is he not as good this year as he was last

He has like a 2.10 FIP

You know what I just looked up his stats and it seems he is as good or even better this year. Not sure why I thought he wasnt doing as well. I guess I just dont remember him getting hit around to much last year like he did in his start a few weeks ago against the Nats and then the Marlins.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
Bobby Parnell. Truly Hittable.

so truly, truly hittable...

another blown save.

He's not Dillon Gee, there's still reason to be optimistic about Parnell.

And blame David Wright for being a scrub. Forget trading him in the offseason, should DFA his ass.

darkside31337 said:
He's not Dillon Gee, there's still reason to be optimistic about Parnell.

And blame David Wright for being a scrub. Forget trading him in the offseason, should DFA his ass.
... LJ11 alt account confirmed.

BTW, Gee in his first full years vs. a dude who failed as a starter and is bombing as a closer. I suppose throwing 98 MPH always looks better.

Fredi Gonzalez just announced Randall Delgado is staying in the rotation and Julio Teheran will be in the bullpen the rest of the season.

Lineup:

1. Bourn - CF
2. Wilson - SS
3. McCann - C
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Diaz - LF
6. Freeman - 1B
7. Prado - 3B
8. Heyward - RF
9. Lowe - P

Fredi said Chipper is just getting a day off and he'd be back tomorrow.

Venters is unavailable and Kimbrel may also be as well. But Teheran in the pen now gives them an extra arm. O'Flaherty may be the closer tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom