• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orioles beat the Sawx again!

okt0Z.png

sangreal

Y2Kev said:
I see this argument with xFIP, but not with FIP.

FIP still absolves pitchers of responsibility for all batted balls (except homeruns), and even if you believe the results are due to "luck" or poor fielding they still happened. I get the justification for this and focusing on what is repeatable makes sense for predicting future results, I think awards should be based on more than potential. It's like giving someone the batting title because they would be doing amazing if their BABIP wasn't .100

FIP also punishes players that manage to to defy the assumption that pitchers have no impact on the outcome of batted balls. Mariano Rivera has induced weak contact for years and as such he has outperformed his FIP consistently.

In short, I think a lot more should go into evaluating a pitcher than their strikeout to walk and homerun ratio. FIP is useful and part of the puzzle and better in many ways than ERA, but far from the holy grail.

Y2Kev said:
Oh, it's definitely not the worst thing on TV. Like, not while shit like Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory exist. But nobody watches those except fat women who think Jon Cryer is attractive and have the same haircut as the fat kid/shaggy dog.

I won't forgive lost for DOGEN

eh, it's one character. it didn't add anything I admit and pointless to put him in, but it didn't ruin the series or even the season.

please Girardi, for the love of all that is good, put Proctor in. he needs the work after all. plus, I want to go home already.

Fenix

talisayNon said:
Some nerds at school insist that Big Bang Theory is great. Is it really that bad?
I humoured some friends and watched the first season.

I think I may have chuckled twice.

Rodeo Clown said:
Johnson's been closing for a couple weeks. Why it took until September, Lord only knows.
Ah, last I saw Gregg blew the save here in Toronto.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sangreal said:
FIP still absolves pitchers of responsibility for all batted balls (except homeruns), and even if you believe the results are due to "luck" or poor fielding they still happened. I get the justification for this and focusing on what is repeatable makes sense for predicting future results, I think awards should be based on more than potential. It's like giving someone the batting title because they would be doing amazing if their BABIP wasn't .100

FIP also punishes players that manage to to defy the assumption that pitchers have no impact on the outcome of batted balls. Mariano Rivera has induced weak contact for years and as such he has outperformed his FIP consistently.

In short, I think a lot more should go into evaluating a pitcher than their strikeout to walk and homerun ratio. FIP is useful and part of the puzzle and better in many ways than ERA, but far from the holy grail.
I get it, and I certainly understand the argument when it comes to certain aspects of the formula, but I just never really thought it would be fair to penalize pitchers for being on teams with bad defenses. I mean, as Yankee fans, we see it a lot.

I completely understand the counterargument. And I'm conflicted. But I saw that article on AJ Burnett the other day and it just doesn't seem right.

most people that go to stadiums want to see the home team win because in their minds they have to justify the high ticket prizes. otherwise their day is "ruined" BUT, I don't ever like to root for one team to make in over another because it's the type of thing that can come back and haunt you.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
evil solrac v3.0 said:
most people that go to stadiums want to see the home team win because in their minds they have to justify the high ticket prizes. otherwise their day is "ruined" BUT, I don't ever like to root for one team to make in over another because it's the type of thing that can come back and haunt you.
I always want a Yanks win generally but at the same time, I don't fear the Rays.

jman2050

Doytch said:
I really hope the Rays get in, and then take out the Yanks in the ALCS. Would be sweet, sweet tears.

Don't believe for a second that if the Sox make it in they'll just roll over. Everything starts from 0 in the playoffs.

I wouldn't want to face either team in a 7 game series.

sangreal

Doytch said:
I really hope the Rays get in, and then take out the Yanks in the ALCS. Would be sweet, sweet tears.

I fear this, but I really want to see what happens if 3 teams tie

I'm also pretty sure the Yankees series will jump start the red sox just like it did at the start of the season

Doytch

jman2050 said:
Don't believe for a second that if the Sox make it in they'll just roll over. Everything starts from 0 in the playoffs.

I wouldn't want to face either team in a 7 game series.
I just want the outcome I said because it'd be hilarious to all the Yankee fans cheering for the Rays to get in.

eznark

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
Omg, how many pitches is CC going to pitch in a game that basically means nothing?!?! Fucking idiot Girardi.

Don't overwork CC! He might only be able to throw 140 pitches his next start!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Doytch said:
I just want the outcome I said because it'd be hilarious to all the Yankee fans cheering for the Rays to get in.
We are not cheering for the Rays to get in. We are cheering for the Sox to die a historically laughable death.

TAKE HIM OUT ALREADY!!! UNLESS!!, unless Girardi's plan is to get CC tired, have him give up a bomb, and THEN take him out , having lost the lead. you magnificent bastard Girardi! I salute you!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Doytch said:

Yankees fans already know they'll get crushed by the Rangers or Tigers in the first round. Better to see the Red Sox die a glorious death that shall never be forgotten because it was so utterly pathetic.

bob_arctor said:
We are not cheering for the Rays to get in. We are cheering for the Sox to die a historically laughable death.

This.

Also, sorry CC. :(

I want him to win 20 games...but the Red Sox MUST miss the playoffs for the advancement of mankind.

jman2050

darkside31337 said:
Yankees fans already know they'll get crushed by the Rangers or Tigers in the first round. Better to see the Red Sox die a glorious death that shall never be forgotten because it was so utterly pathetic.

Cliff Lee isn't walking through that door this time you know.

darkside31337 said:

we're not losing to Texas. tigers is another story. :b

Celsior

evil solrac v3.0 said:
we're not losing to Texas. tigers is another story. :b
I think the team me match up worst against is the Angels.
I think they Yanks can beat the other 4 teams.

David Roberston just told the Rays to fuck themselves.

verbum

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Braves won't blow it.

You know how many times I have read and heard that in the last 3 weeks?

Braves are up by one game, they have to play the Nationals and then the Phillies. They lost 2 of 3 to the Mets and then 2 of 3 to the Marlins. I have no confidence they can do what is necessary to stop the slide. It's not the manager's problem, it is the players. They must not give a shit or something. No spirit whatsoever in tonight's game. Just swinging away. The Brave's dugout looked like a funeral service tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom