• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemtae

JABEE said:
As a Phillies fan, am I being irrational in worrying about the Phillies? They just lost 5 in a row. I know there lineup wasnt there, but I'm stil concerned they won't turn it back on. The Cardinals just won 3 of 4 against the Phillies.

Postseason is all about the rotation and the Phillies have the best rotation in baseball. They'll be about as fine as you can be for the playoffs

Congratulations to the 2011 New York Yankees for winning the AL East, the toughest division in the majors. They tagged your toes and threw dirt on you in January when Pettitte bowed out and the coward Cliff Lee scurried to Philadelphia. They assumed your untimely demise as soon as the ink dried on Adrian Gonzalez' and Carl Crawford's contract. They told you that you were finished when Jeter was washed up and Posada was washed up and Mariano was human and AJ was an anchor and the rotation had zombie Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon in it. They said even the Jays would finish in front of you.

But you played the fucking games.

Every pundit had every team in front of them. Every pundit laughed at Cashman's management of free agency and the farm system. They laughed at Ivan Nova and Jesus Montero. They thought it was funny. You did not laugh, though.

You played the fucking games.

The team was hurt all year. Jeter, Posada, A-Rod, Hughes, Gardner, Colon, Garcia...seemingly every player spent more than a game or two out, and everyone braced for impact. Every third game was rained out, hurricaned out, earthquaked out, whatevered out, and you had the league scheduler troll you as a result, playing 5 game series and multi-doubleheaders and stuff. But you didn't roll over.

And won.

Shout outs to everyone that made this possible - the ghost of George Steinbrenner, the mighty Yankees Council, pollo, Sylar, Jangocube and the Fighting Showalters, Sanjuro's wall, Tom Brady and Lebron James playoff failures (true lifelongs!), and all you kids out there that spent time hating.

Shout outs to Cliff Lee; we're coming for that ass.

Shout outs to Theo Epstein; thanks for the great free agency, bro!

Shout outs to Reds-Age; we're sorry you guys aren't good again this season, but I wish you nothing but WIN TUNNEL in the future.

Shout outs to rich platelet surgery, or whatever arcane magick allowed Bartolo Colon to pitch well.

Shout out to AJ Burnett; apparently even you can't stop this train.

Yankees Council, I see you.

Pollo, I see you.

Fuck you haters.

Snaku

Banned
captmcblack said:
Congratulations to the 2011 New York Yankees for winning the AL East, the toughest division in the majors. They tagged your toes and threw dirt on you in January when Pettitte bowed out and the coward Cliff Lee scurried to Philadelphia. They assumed your untimely demise as soon as the ink dried on Adrian Gonzalez' and Carl Crawford's contract. They told you that you were finished when Jeter was washed up and Posada was washed up and Mariano was human and AJ was an anchor and the rotation had zombie Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon in it. They said even the Jays would finish in front of you.

Every pundit had every team in front of them. Every pundit laughed at Cashman's management of free agency and the farm system. They laughed at Ivan Nova and Jesus Montero. They thought it was funny. You did not laugh, though.

The team was hurt all year. Jeter, Posada, A-Rod, Hughes, Gardner, Colon, Garcia...seemingly every player spent more than a game or two out, and everyone braced for impact. Every third game was rained out, hurricaned out, earthquaked out, whatevered out, and you had the league scheduler troll you as a result, playing 5 game series and multi-doubleheaders and stuff. But you didn't roll over.

And won.

Shout outs to everyone that made this possible - the ghost of George Steinbrenner, the mighty Yankees Council, pollo, Sylar, Jangocube and the Fighting Showalters, Sanjuro's wall, Tom Brady and Lebron James playoff failures (true lifelongs!), and all you kids out there that spent time hating.

Shout outs to Reds-Age; we're sorry you guys aren't good again this season, but I wish you nothing but WIN TUNNEL in the future.

Shout outs to rich platelet surgery, or whatever arcane magick allowed Bartolo Colon to pitch well.

Pollo, I see you.

Fuck you haters.

qhr1S.jpg

Jangocube

Banned
Sharp said:
Jango, what the hell are you talking about

You guys have some of the worst pitching in baseball history

Hey hey, we don't have that bad of pitching, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?! I mean, we have, um....ya....

Sharp

Jangocube said:
Hey hey, we don't have that bad of pitching, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?! I mean, we have, um....ya....
Jim Johnson is okay I guess.

Oh my god I just had a terrible thought, what if the Cardinals get into the playoffs and win the World Series...

Go Braves!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Amazing post, Snaku.

Even as horrid as today was, Matt Moore will completely dominate the Yanks tomorrow in his first start and they'll be 2 games out. It sucks but it ain't the end of the world.

lucius

Sharp said:
How does that make any sense at all

I just kidding I don't really think he is a coward but I won't be cheering for him, Pettitte told some friends he was gonna play another year had Lee signed but he didn't so yes I am bitter.

Congrats to the Yankees. With an offense that godly and adequate-enough pitching, you deserve the AL East title. I only pray that Burnett makes the postseason roster for further hilarity.

Now it's time to root for the Angels. Clearly Tampa nor Boston have any interest in the playoffs, so let's get a team in the Wild Card that's semi-competitive right now.

jman2050

captmcblack said:

And won.

Pollo, I see you.

Fuck you haters.

fuua6e.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose the Yankees winning the fucking World Series would be the final brick the 2011 baseball season would dump in my mouth. Fuck.

This been posted?

Via Hardball Talk comes this SiriusXM radio transcript of Leo Mazzone calling out John Smoltz for putting pine tar on baseballs:

Leo Mazzone: "Well, I don’t see anything wrong with it myself. I watch football a lot, too, and I know that’s been going on for a while to slow a team down, it stops their momentum. In baseball, as you well know, it’s been going on a long time. I know that in my little ball bag I had firm grip and all kinds of goodies to take care of a baseball to get a little more movement on it. (laughs)"

Evan Cohen: "So that’s why the Braves kicked the Mets ass for all these years?"

Steve Phillips: "Wait a minute! How come our pitchers were pitching with nice bright white shiny baseballs and your guys had pine tar and scuffs all over them?"

Mazzone: "Well, you had pine tar, that’s for sure, because when you were in the postseason and it got called, one time Smoltzy had it on his shoes and I said, ‘John, you can’t keep bending over and touching your shoes all the time. Let’s put it someplace else!’ (laughs)"

Yes, "laughs." This seems like a completely voluntary statement by Mazzone, not something that he had a hard time exposing or anything, and he certainly seems pretty eager to throw Smoltz under the bus. This is going to blow up big time! This isn't any small statement by Mazzone.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2011/9/21/2440598/atlanta-braves-mazzone-bomb-john-smoltz-cheated

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If baseball really cared about guys putting improper substances on the baseballs then they'd force everybody to wear clean hats, a lot of those lids are filthy but not dirty and they'd do something about guys constantly putting their fingers into their mouth.

Hilariously how Smoltz got thrown under the bus like that though.

captmcblack said:

And won.

Pollo, I see you.

Fuck you haters.

Capt my man, always been so proud of you. carry the torch, carry the torch.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Internet and TV has been so shitty last week and half (fuck you att). I feel so lost in all these WC chases now that Ive reached my mobile data cap already (again, fuck you att) with 2 weeks left till next month.

Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 21

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Tigers  -- 100% (clinched AL Central title 9/16)
Yankees -- 100% (clinched AL East title 9/21)
Rangers -- 99.3% (lead AL West by 5.0; 7 games remaining)
Red Sox -- 84.3% (lead AL Wild Card by 2.5; 6 games remaining)
Angels  -- 8.3% (trail AL Wild Card by 2.5; 7 games remaining)
Rays    -- 8.1% (trail AL Wild Card by 2.5; 7 games remaining)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Phillies     -- 100% (clinched NL East title 9/17)
Brewers      -- 99.8% (lead NL Central by 4.5; 6 games remaining)
Diamondbacks -- 99.5% (lead NL West by 5.0; 7 games remaining)
Braves       -- 63.8% (lead NL Wild Card by 1.5; 6 games remaining)
Cardinals    -- 34.7% (trail NL Wild Card by 1.5; 7 games remaining)
Giants       -- 2.2% (trail NL Wild Card by 3.5; 7 games remaining)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
sf2fanatic said:
Angels do. They can match up against the Yanks. Dont know how based on stats but they give them trouble

Like I said before the trio of Jered Weaver + Dan Haren + Jeff Mathis is better than anybody elses staff.

Yankees are digging their own grave by helping the Angels get into the playoffs.

If the Braves collapse, I'm going to become an alcoholic. It would be right up there with the 2007 Mets. Being compared to that is a fate worse than death.

Would someone just beat the fucking Cardinals please?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
If the Braves collapse, I'm going to become an alcoholic. It would be right up there with the 2007 Mets. Being compared to that is a fate worse than death.

Would someone just beat the fucking Cardinals please?

I seriously hope you're not still holding onto the delusion that the Mets will win a game.

darkside31337 said:
I seriously hope you're not still holding onto the delusion that the Mets will win a game.

Times are desperate. And it only gets worse. After this series, we have to cheer for the...Cubs. And then? The.......Astros.

Shoot me.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Puddles said:
So who do we like to win the NL Best Player on a Playoff Team award? Braun, Fielder, or Upton?

Kemp should win it. Kershaw should win NL CY. This way I can laugh at how utterly pathetic about 20 of the other players on that roster are.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Times are desperate. And it only gets worse. After this series, we have to cheer for the...Cubs. And then? The.......Astros.

Shoot me.
Cards have been notorious in playing down to the level of competition so I wouldn't pencil them in for wins yet. Lousy defense and an overzealous manager means no game is safe. Thankfully, TLR hasn't tinkered with the lineup too much lately and for the time being, the bullpen is doing okay.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Snaku said:
http://i.imgur.com/qhr1S.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

If the rays were to win the AL East, they would have won the east 3 out of the past 4 years.

Perhaps it is you who is the John Cena.

h3ro

captmcblack said:

And won.

Pollo, I see you.

Fuck you haters.

A9h60.jpg

verbum

Don't forget, "Moneyball" opens tomorrow.
The story of Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to put together a baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to draft his players.

From the Village Voice critic:
Lewis’s account serves solely as inspiration for its engaging big-screen counterpart; director Bennett Miller (Capote) and writers Aaron Sorkin and Steve Zaillian barely touch upon sabermetrics and the influential work of statistician Bill James. The filmmakers wisely boil down Beane and DePodesta’s complex formulas to a single, simple thesis: Sign ballplayers who get on base more than anyone else. Then they hand over the movie to Brad Pitt as Beane, a former first-round draft pick by the New York Mets who exorcises his dashed-dream demons one trade, thrown chair, and turned-over watercooler at a time. Play ball....

And that’s another difference between Moneyball the movie and Moneyball the book—there’s extra warmth radiating onscreen from beneath the cold, hard statistics....

Perhaps that’s because it’s a baseball movie, and “it’s hard not to be romantic about baseball,” as Beane says during a rare moment of happiness as the A’s become, for a few weeks, the greatest team in the history of the American League. That’s thanks to the home-run heroics of a forgotten player given one last chance by Billy Beane. It really happened, it’s really corny, and it’s really great. Who needs Roy Hobbs? Hey, Dad? You wanna have a catch?

I heard someone the other night who had seen an advance screening, he said it was a great movie, "it combines nerdiness, baseball, and heroics". He said Brad Pitt should get at least an Oscar nomination out of it, if not win the Best Actor award.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-09-21/film/the-formulas-work-in-moneyball/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Al Leiter told Michael Kay that it was good. Suzyn Waldman said it was horrible. I think I trust Al Leiter more here.

I tend to really like Brad Pitt movies, so even if it isnt great I think I will still enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom