• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

darkside31337 said:
Hope you guys can do what the Mets couldn't today.
What's funny is, according to BP the Braves are still 5 games ahead of their third-order expected wins. This period of totally blowing is just regular regression after all!

darkside31337 said:
Hope you guys can do what the Mets couldn't today.
*wins 2 of 3 vs. Braves*

Game they lose - AW METS CAN'T TANK RIGHT

*lose 2 of 3 vs. Cards*

Game they win - DAMMIT METS SUCK I NEED TO BE RAYS FAN

... fair and balanced, yo.

hemtae said:
Well at least the Angels lost

Today wasn't a total waste

Hell yeah it was. Was looking forward to the three way tie for the wild card...lol

Tommy back in the dugout.

E: KEMVP making the triple crown real interesting

maruchan

Ninja Scooter said:
Has a none playoff team ever had an MVP and a Cy Young?
Yes.. Your Los Angeles Dodgers... in 1962.. Wils Drysdale

Hell dodgers have the most mvp cy yung combos in the league with 3.. maybe 4 this year..

Doomsayer

It's pretty remarkable what Kemp and Kershaw have done this year considering all the drama surrounding the team. I'm surprised we have as many wins as we do, especially with Ethier playing like a weenie all year. Hopefully next year we can start the season off better and have a shot at the postseason.

GO BLUE!

Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 22

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Tigers  -- 100% (clinched AL Central title 9/16)
Yankees -- 100% (clinched AL East title 9/21)
Rangers -- 99.5% (lead AL West by 5.0; 6 games remaining)
Red Sox -- 88.9% (lead AL Wild Card by 2.0; 6 games remaining)
Rays    -- 8.0% (trail AL Wild Card by 2.0; 6 games remaining)
Angels  -- 3.7% (trail AL Wild Card by 3.0; 6 games remaining)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Phillies     -- 100% (clinched NL East title 9/17)
Diamondbacks -- 99.9% (clinched NL West tie 9/22)
Brewers      -- 99.9% (lead NL Central by 5.0; 6 games remaining)
Braves       -- 75.0% (lead NL Wild Card by 2.0; 6 games remaining)
Cardinals    -- 24.4% (trail NL Wild Card by 2.0; 6 games remaining)
Giants       -- 0.8% (trail NL Wild Card by 4.0; 6 games remaining)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
maruchan said:
Yes.. Your Los Angeles Dodgers... in 1962.. Wils Drysdale

Hell dodgers have the most mvp cy yung combos in the league with 3.. maybe 4 this year..

Yeah but those 1962 Dodgers won 102 games.

That Dodgers roster needs to be imploded. There are about 5 guys on that roster who should be on the team next season.

darkside31337 said:
Yeah but those 1962 Dodgers won 102 games.

That Dodgers roster needs to be imploded. There are about 5 guys on that roster who should be on the team next season.

I'm still laughing my ass off at that Juan Uribe contract. What the fuck was Colletti thinking.

Joe Strauss, the Cardinals beat writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, just posted the following on Twitter:

@JoeStrauss said:
Based upon what I heard today, I am significantly adjusting odds of Pujols' return to STL. More later.

Supposedly, Pujols and his wife are already looking at potential homes in Chicago.

Puddles

Banned
1st in OPS, 2nd in HR, 1st in RBI, 3rd in BA, 2nd in SB. Matt Kemp is a beast.

I think this team can really turn it around next year. It doesn't take much.

- Dee Gordon has raised his OBP to .324 after it sat around .280 for most of the year. If he can come out next year and put up a .340 OBP, we'll be a lot better at the top of the order.

- Loney has also really turned it around. He's gone from being far and away the worst 1B in the majors to just pretty bad. And over the last two months, I'd even say he's been productive. If we can get a .775 OPS out of him, we'll be a lot better off. I'd prefer to pick up a new 1B, but assuming that doesn't happen, there's a lot of room for improvement with Loney. He has put up a .900+ OPS in the past, although I'm not holding out hope for that.

- Ethier had a down year, but he'll be in contract mode next year. A .900 OPS season from him would work wonders.

The playoff potential is right there with the pieces we already have. If they can sign a bat, that's even better.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Joe said:
unsurprisingly it seems like Rosenthal was wrong, nearly all moneyball reviews are positive.

Most baseball people, at least from those who have shared their opinion online, hate the movie. The movie seems that it does an awful job representing the book and does an awful job representing what baseball operations are actually like. If you don't care or don't know anything about those 2 things then it's probably an interesting movie to see.

darkside31337 said:
Most baseball people, at least from those who have shared their opinion online, hate the movie. The movie seems that it does an awful job representing the book and does an awful job representing what baseball operations are actually like. If you don't care or don't know anything about those 2 things then it's probably an interesting movie to see.
yeah this is the impression i've gotten

Doytch

darkside31337 said:
Probably cause it'd be boring as shit otherwise.

Doytch said:
Probably cause it'd be boring as shit otherwise.

Yes. It's likely sabremetricians aren't actually the best people to review a movie ostensibly "about" sabremetrics.

Moneyball is a great read, but it's unfilmable in even a relatively straight adaptation. I was wondering how they turned the book into a compelling movie, and it seems they didn't--they just used it as a jumping off point for a story about the tension between evidence and intuition, which is much more universal. This is a smart idea, cinematically.

For all I know the movie fails even on its own terms, but I have a feeling the BP reviewers, etc. are not exactly cinéastes and were mostly upset at the appalling lack of acronyms and abbreviations.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Hows the book though? Good Read?

Oh yeah. If you're posting in this thread you're almost guaranteed to like it. I mean, unless you believe silly things like your ace is a worthless piece of shit if he has a bad World Series.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Oh yeah. If you're posting in this thread you're almost guaranteed to like it. I mean, unless you believe silly things like your ace is a worthless piece of shit if he has a bad World Series.

Cliff Lee can't win the big one. Totally his fault the Phillies lost to the Yankees. He didn't do enough.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Most baseball people hate the movie because it's not a good baseball movie. It's actually a mockery of the sport in a lot of ways.

Phillies first team in baseball history to lose 6 games in a row immediately after winning a division title. I guess Howard used up all his clutchness already.

Sanjuro

turnbuckle said:
Keith law is a movie guy and he hated it
Wasn't that the guy complaining that none of the smaller characters were taken seriously in the film?

I think the film's trailers look terrible. There are a ton of great people attached to the film and early reviews are fantastic.

ToxicAdam

The truth is that passionate people are sometimes idiots. People who are fans of the book and expect the movie to deliver the same experience are idiots. People who are fans of baseball history and expect this movie to deliver a documentary-like representation of events are idiots.

A Hollywood movie is so often compromised by it's inherent nature and it's end goals that you are silly for expecting something more.

darkside31337 said:
Cliff Lee can't win the big one. Totally his fault the Phillies lost to the Yankees. He didn't do enough.

I agree. He should have been the DH on his off days, and played in the field in the games in Philly.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If the Boston game rains out today that would mean Lester will miss out on making his scheduled start for the last game of the regular season or he'll pitch on 3 days rest. On top of that chaotic schedule for the makeup games.

Meier

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Wasn't that the guy complaining that none of the smaller characters were taken seriously in the film?

I think the film's trailers look terrible. There are a ton of great people attached to the film and early reviews are fantastic.
The smaller characters are kind of pushed aside because realistically this is a story about Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta. Scott Hatteberg, Dave Justice, etc. are just bit players. One thing that surprised me was they didn't really talk about the pitching staff at all outside of Chad Bradford and eventually Rincon... the rest of the crew didn't really get their due. I'm a baseball guy and a movie guy and Moneyball is excellent.

There's no question that it glosses over the true day to day operations of a club and that's because that wouldn't make for compelling movie. The battle between using sabermetrics and the older, established thought processes is presented very well though and Pitt and Hill do excellent jobs. The way they weave in Beane's own experiences as a young player with his new desire to break the mold is an excellent subplot that succeeds on many levels. I'd certainly recommend the movie to anyone.

One of the more amusing moments was when Hill and Pitt are sitting in the back and the sports talk guy discusses how Howe's leadership and calm demeanor have lead them to the current 7 game win streak they're on.. which happens shortly after Beane had to ship guys off to get Howe to play his players. I'm sure a lot of front office guys would just nod their head at that scene.

Sanjuro

I agree one hundred percent. I don't go to the movies for complete accuracy. I want something that is enjoyable to watch, great performances, and isn't going to bore the living hell out of me.

hemtae

Yanks drove up price on Carl Crawford

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman admitted on Thursday that he feigned interest in Carl Crawford this offseason to drive up the price for the Boston Red Sox to sign the free agent.

"I actually had dinner with the agent to pretend that we were actually involved and drive the price up," Cashman said. "The outfield wasn't an area of need, but everybody kept writing Crawford, Crawford, Crawford, Crawford. And I was like, 'I feel like we've got Carl Crawford in Brett Gardner, except he costs more than $100 million less, with less experience.'"

Oh you guys. I hope the Sox mash your heads in this weekend.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cashman was totally right too. Gardner was and obviously still is a better player than Crawford. Any Yankee fan clamoring for Crawford was an idiot.

Meier said:
The smaller characters are kind of pushed aside because realistically this is a story about Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta. Scott Hatteberg, Dave Justice, etc. are just bit players. One thing that surprised me was they didn't really talk about the pitching staff at all outside of Chad Bradford and eventually Rincon... the rest of the crew didn't really get their due. I'm a baseball guy and a movie guy and Moneyball is excellent.

There's no question that it glosses over the true day to day operations of a club and that's because that wouldn't make for compelling movie. The battle between using sabermetrics and the older, established thought processes is presented very well though and Pitt and Hill do excellent jobs. The way they weave in Beane's own experiences as a young player with his new desire to break the mold is an excellent subplot that succeeds on many levels. I'd certainly recommend the movie to anyone.

One of the more amusing moments was when Hill and Pitt are sitting in the back and the sports talk guy discusses how Howe's leadership and calm demeanor have lead them to the current 7 game win streak they're on.. which happens shortly after Beane had to ship guys off to get Howe to play his players. I'm sure a lot of front office guys would just nod their head at that scene.
But you enjoyed Warrior more! Moneyball sucks, confirmed.

And Cashman has been pretty awesome this year.
The truth is that passionate people are sometimes idiots. People who are fans of the book and expect the movie to deliver the same experience are idiots. People who are fans of baseball history and expect this movie to deliver a documentary-like representation of events are idiots.

A Hollywood movie is so often compromised by it's inherent nature and it's end goals that you are silly for expecting something more.
So the fact that intelligent people don't like Hollywood movies pandering to the lowest common denominator (the real idiots) make the intelligent people the idiots? I'm saying this in general, not just Moneyball, especially since I haven't even seen it. Man, I sound like Keith Law. *shudders*

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
CajoleJuice said:
But you enjoyed Warrior more! Moneyball sucks, confirmed.

And Cashman has been pretty awesome this year.

I'd say more lucky than anything. Pitching was a big need so they went out and got Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia. And it actually worked.

darkside31337 said:
I'd say more lucky than anything. Pitching was a big need so they went out and got Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia. And it actually worked.
Nah, I mean his quotes in the media and press conferences where he bashes his biggest free-agent signings.

ToxicAdam

CajoleJuice said:
So the fact that intelligent people don't like Hollywood movies pandering to the lowest common denominator (the real idiots) make the intelligent people the idiots? I'm saying this in general, not just Moneyball, especially since I haven't even seen it. Man, I sound like Keith Law. *shudders*

I think expectations dramatically effect opinion. So, if you are an intelligent person, you should have an informed perspective on what to expect from a big-budget, Hollywood movie that is only two hours long. If you don't, then you deserve to be called an idiot.

Look at Shawshank Redemption. Many intelligent people classify that as one of the greatest movies of all-time, despite the fact that the main antagonist was one of the most overused, ham-fisted movie tropes of all time. The essence of 'pandering to the LCD'. But people can overlook it they realize it's a Hollywood movie and you don't always have time to make every character as nuanced as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom