• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ToxicAdam said:
I think expectations dramatically effect opinion. So, if you are an intelligent person, you should have an informed perspective on what to expect from a big-budget, Hollywood movie that is only two hours long. If you don't, then you deserve to be called an idiot.

Look at Shawshank Redemption. Many intelligent people classify that as one of the greatest movies of all-time, despite the fact that the main antagonist was played by one of the most overused, ham-fisted movie tropes of all time. The essence of 'pandering to the LCD'. But people can overlook it they realize it's a Hollywood movie and you don't always have time to make every character as nuanced as they should be.
Oh, from the trailers and everything I've heard, it's exactly what I expect. Which is why I'm not in a rush to see it. If I end up seeing it on Blu-ray, I can't say it's kinda shitty?

But there is a difference between being a good movie and being a good baseball movie, or at least true to the story it claims to tell. And maybe (ok, probably) you were right in your previous post with critics looking at it as a movie and baseball people looking at it as a baseball movie.

Meier

It's a good movie.
It's a good baseball movie.
It's entertaining.
It's well-acted.
It has a compelling storyline.

Warrior is more entertaining even as a baseball guy who isn't an MMA guy.

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Well obviously he can afford to be brutally honest because he's already planned his bailing out of town and taking the GM job in Chicago.
Maybe he can get the cubs a world series victory.

LOL

JABEE

darkside31337 said:
Most baseball people hate the movie because it's not a good baseball movie. It's actually a mockery of the sport in a lot of ways.

Phillies first team in baseball history to lose 6 games in a row immediately after winning a division title. I guess Howard used up all his clutchness already.
They've actually been resting Howard since last Saturday, the last game they won. He got a cortisone shot for his foot because of bursitis.

A lot of the position players are banged up. Howard has ankle bursitis, Polanco has a sports hernia, Rollins has the groin issue and now Pence has patellar tendinitis, a minor version of what Chase Utley has.

To the Phillies fan who said they were definitely going to roll over for the Braves in the last three games, yeah, probably. They've all turned into cruise-control zombies, just like a lot of the Bobby Cox-led Braves teams that clinched early, and none of them lost 6 in a row immediately after clinching. I honestly don't know if they can flip the switch back on for the first round, especially if they draw the Brewers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JABEE said:
They've actually been resting Howard since last Saturday, the last game they won. He got a cortisone shot for his foot because of bursitis.

That explains everything!

I will never doubt Ryan Howard's greatness ever again.

funny-gifs-party-police.gif

eznark

Banned
Joe said:
unsurprisingly it seems like Rosenthal was wrong, nearly all moneyball reviews are positive.

Most Social Network reviews were positive too. Hollywood loves blowing Aaron Sorkin almost as much as Boston loves blowing Varitek.

Puddles

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Cliff Lee can't win the big one. Totally his fault the Phillies lost to the Yankees. He didn't do enough.

You can't blame him for the Yankees WS, but he is absolutely at fault for letting the goddamn Giants win a title.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Speaking of ridiculous MLB oddities is this nugget from Stark.

The Indians started the season 30-15 which was the best record in all of baseball through the first 45 games of the season (lol). Only 3 teams in the history of baseball, with the most recent in 1940, that have started the season at least 30-15 and finished the season with a record under .500.

Indians still have a little bit of time to stop this historic futility though, including a 4 game series starting tonight with the Twins. That's like a guaranteed 4 wins which will put them at worst .500 on the season.

Buster_ESPN said:
Lackey to start Sunday for Boston.

Congratulations to the Tampa Bay Rays on earning one of the most improbable playoff spots in MLB history.

JABEE

Paul Hagen said:
Rich Dubee says Phillies discovered Bastardo has been tipping his pitches.

http://twitter.com/hagenp/status/117335039536144384

This may explain him getting hit around lately. Before this stretch he had the all time record BA against him, it was in the low .100s. I wonder if they can fix this easily.

Also, Oswalt appears to want to come back next season and is said to have loved the city and team. The Phillies probably won't pick up his option but may resign him to a lesser deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JABEE said:
http://twitter.com/hagenp/status/117335039536144384

This may explain him getting hit around lately. Before this stretch he had the all time record BA against him, it was in the low .100s. I wonder if they can fix this easily.

Also, Oswalt appears to want to come back next season and is said to have loved the city and team. The Phillies probably won't pick up his option but may resign him to a lesser deal.

That's uh, probably the thing that has actually been fixed.

Tommy Hanson's done for the season. He was pulled after 2 innings in his start in the Instructional League with shoulder pain.

And now Peter Moylan's out for the season with a torn rotator cuff.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
Tommy Hanson's done for the season. He was pulled after 2 innings in his start in the Instructional League with shoulder pain.

I thought the Braves had all the momentum :(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma said:

son of a bitch

The good news is that they're going to get Kris Medlen back in time to pitch out of the bullpen in the playoffs if they make it. He will pitch at some point in the Phillies series.

Okay, now the news is Hanson could still start on Wednesday vs. Phillies, but he wouldn't pitch 5 innings. Like Jair Jurrjens, he likely would not be available until the NLCS if he can come back.

George Sherrill threw an inning yesterday in the Instructional League and will throw another inning tomorrow. If all goes well, he will be activated from the DL for the Phillies series.

Jurrjens will make a start in the Instructional League tomorrow and is scheduled to pitch 2-3 innings, but will be on a 50-pitch restriction. If all goes well, he would likely make another start down there and be activated for the NLCS if the Braves make it.

Lineup:

1. Bourn - CF
2. Prado - LF
3. Jones - 3B
4. Uggla - 2B
5. McCann - C
6. Freeman - 1B
7. Wilson - SS
8. Heyward - RF
9. Hudson - P

Alex Gonzalez is ready to go, but he's being held out for one more day due to the wet field in DC today.

rc213

MLB asks bankruptcy court to order sale of #Dodgers, says McCourt's plan to reorganize by selling TV rights is "dead on arrival."

In court filing, MLB says it won't approve any TV rights sale that would allow McCourt to keep team.

MLB also asks bankruptcy court to disqualify #Dodgers' lawyers for conflict in representing McCourt rather than team.

MLB says it could even suspend #Dodgers from league: "No one will pay ... to broadcast Dodgers games if the Club is not part of MLB."

lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
evil solrac v3.0 said:
is MLB insane?! what would that do to the schedule?

The Dodgers will still play all their games. Just the fact that nobody will have the
mis
fortune of actually being able to watch their games is what will be different. At least that's how I read it.

hemtae

darkside31337 said:
The Dodgers will still play all their games. Just the fact that nobody will have the
mis
fortune of actually being able to watch their games is what will be different. At least that's how I read it.

I think he's talking about the fact that the Red Sox/Yankees game was postponed

hemtae

evil solrac v3.0 said:
no I was talking about the Dodgers. what happened to the Yankee game? I'm inside and can't see shit captain.

I was listening on ESPN radio and they said they aren't going to play today

Red Sox vs. Yankees and Mets vs. Phillies have been officially postponed.

BOS/NYY doubleheader on Sunday. 1:00pm and 6:30pm.

PHI/NYM doubleheader tomorrow. First game at 2:20. Second game 30 minutes after first game.

Doytch

Apparently the Rays were giving free parking and "DJ Kitty T-Shirts" to fans tonight, trying to get a sell-out.

Tonnes of empty seats. Quit life, Florida.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Puddles said:
You can't blame him for the Yankees WS, but he is absolutely at fault for letting the goddamn Giants win a title.
No, it was Lincecum smoking that white widow weed that had him in beast mode. When I smoked bud 3 years ago I absolutely beasted in COD, Halo, and Fifa.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom