• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Macattk15 said:
My bad. Thought he was a second basemen. Oh wait, he is.

DERP DERP.
I don't care if he's a pitcher, the rules apply to him too. The blame is obv with the umps for not calling it, though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If you're a second baseman you should have very little problem playing first. Mai waifu's a catcher and he can do it.

Jubs

Heh, Scott Proctor. Always good for a laugh.

And I think it's time to send Gearrin down. Let's see what Abreu or Asencio can do.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
WilsonsPenguins.jpg

LA beaten

ConradCervantes said:
Betancourt with TWO HOME RUNS TONIGHT.

WHAT MAD WORLD HAVE I STUMBLED INTO?
I went to a Royals game once and my friend pointed out Betancourt and said "Watch this guy, hes fucking terrible. I don't know why hes not in AA let alone the majors." Sure enough he had like 2 errors that night. Hes one of the worst baseball players I've ever seen. Apparently he was once good and now hes getting better again. I know nothing about him outside of that though, and I'm too lazy to actually look him up.

eznark

Banned
I go to a concert, miss the entire game and the Brewers win by a million. Fuckers.

Stoked for the Pirates day game...I don't think I have said that in 20 years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Caught the Rays - Yanks game in person last night.

First time at the Trop. Will be the last time at the Trop. The worst sports facility I have ever been to in my life. It is even uglier and more pathetic in person than it appears on TV.

Oh well got to see the Yankees lose to the deadly lethal combination of Sam Fuld and Mr .462 OPS Reid Brignac, and see Curtis Granderson hilariously lose a ball in the lights.

It should be illegal though to charge $8 for a beer. Major league vendor prices should only be applicable in actual major league parks.

Maxim726X

darkside31337 said:
Caught the Rays - Yanks game in person last night.

First time at the Trop. Will be the last time at the Trop. The worst sports facility I have ever been to in my life. It is even uglier and more pathetic in person than it appears on TV.

Oh well got to see the Yankees lose to the deadly lethal combination of Sam Fuld and Mr .462 OPS Reid Brignac, and see Curtis Granderson hilariously lose a ball in the lights.

It should be illegal though to charge $8 for a beer. Major league vendor prices should only be applicable in actual major league parks.

But is it worse than Nassau Coliseum?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Maxim726X said:
But is it worse than Nassau Coliseum?

Yes.

It really is that bad. And the Coliseum is awful.

Shea Stadium, the old home of my beloved Mets was the biggest dump of a baseball stadium I have ever been to (been to now a dozen current and former MLB parks), and Tropicana Field utterly destroyed it in terms of being a total and absolute dump.

Honestly can't even hate on Rays fans for not showing up to games now. I wouldn't give the Rays another dollar for the "luxury" to sit in that thing they call a stadium.

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:
I go to a concert, miss the entire game and the Brewers win by a million. Fuckers.

Stoked for the Pirates day game...I don't think I have said that in 20 years.

The Bucs always struggle against the Brewers; we gotta find a way to win that series. Anyway, the Brewers have only been in the NL Central since '96, right?

eznark

Banned
Marleyman said:
The Bucs always struggle against the Brewers; we gotta find a way to win that series. Anyway, the Brewers have only been in the NL Central since '96, right?

Ya, so strange. If history holds the Brewers will win what, 8/10 of those remaining games. That would destroy the Pirates chances of winning the division since I don't see them building a 6 game cushion at any point in the year.

If the Brewers can survive this current west coast trip and remain within two or three games, I think they have a lock on the division.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Pirates have been a joke for all of modern history though, not sure if any of the data is applicable now they have studs like Kevin Correia, Paul Maholm and Jeff Karstens anchoring the rotation.

Yeah the Brewers got this division.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
darkside31337 said:
Yeah, I went to a game there a few years ago and it's terrible. I remember approaching the place and thinking, "God damn that's ugly, but it can't be that bad on the inside, right?" No, it's that bad. The elusive one-two of being a miserable park and a complete eyesore.

eznark

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
What's the best stadiums u guys been to?

PNC, by a country mile. Miller Park second. I didn't get to make it up to the new Twins stadium yet and I haven't made it to any of the stadium built in the last two/three years. Been to most others though.

eznark said:
PNC, by a country mile. Miller Park second. I didn't get to make it up to the new Twins stadium yet and I haven't made it to any of the stadium built in the last two/three years. Been to most others though.
I've heard PNC is the best from a lot of ppl. I wanna go tour stadiums outside of NY. A friend of mine has toured at least half of the stadiums with his dad and they are planning to finish all by this sumtmer. Miller Park looks like a good one and so does the Giants Stadium.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
PNC Park. It's not even close. And I can't even imagine how much more awesome it'd be to go to a night game with completely packed houses fighting for a playoff spot in August / September.

One stadium I'll never get is Fenway. The only thing it has going for it is the nostalgia factor. The park is just really old, but they have the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. The seats were clearly built for a guy with a frame from the 1910's, if you are tall or fat you're completely out of luck way more so than any other park. The concessions feel really old and taste like crap and well there's the urinals.

Worst modern stadium I've been to is sadly Citi Field. It is such a mess in a bunch of ways. The whole thing just feels oddly disjointed. The seat views from anywhere not on field level are awful.

I can't stand the whole entire shopping mall / food court attached to a field thing either. It keeps people away from actually matters, the baseball game in of itself. It's the newest trend of stadiums I can't stand at all. As a season ticket holder to Orlando Magic games, the new arena is absolutely lovely but nobody actually gets back in their seats to watch the games until halfway through a quarter which creates a completely dead atmosphere (although it's hard to get excited for Gilbert and Hedo).

darkside31337 said:
PNC Park. It's not even close. And I can't even imagine how much more awesome it'd be to go to a night game with completely packed houses fighting for a playoff spot in August / September.

One stadium I'll never get is Fenway. The only thing it has going for it is the nostalgia factor. The park is just really old, but they have the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. The seats were clearly built for a guy with a frame from the 1910's, if you are tall or fat you're completely out of luck way more so than any other park. The concessions feel really old and taste like crap and well there's the urinals.

Worst modern stadium I've been to is sadly Citi Field. It is such a mess in a bunch of ways. The whole thing just feels oddly disjointed. The seat views from anywhere not on field level are awful.

I can't stand the whole entire shopping mall / food court attached to a field thing either. It keeps people away from actually matters, the baseball game in of itself. It's the newest trend of stadiums I can't stand at all. As a season ticket holder to Orlando Magic games, the new arena is absolutely lovely but nobody actually gets back in their seats to watch the games until halfway through a quarter which creates a completely dead atmosphere (although it's hard to get excited for Gilbert and Hedo).
The new Magic Arena has a separate shopping area 2?

eznark

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
I've heard PNC is the best from a lot of ppl. I wanna go tour stadiums outside of NY. A friend of mine has toured at least half of the stadiums with his dad and they are planning to finish all by this sumtmer. Miller Park looks like a good one and so does the Giants Stadium.

Giants and Reds are also in my top tier of parks. I love how vertical GAB is and the setting for San Fran is fantastic. I'm definitely going to go to a Pirates game in September if they are still in contention. I love that place.

I didn't see a game in Detroit but I did tour the park. The way it is set in downtown is glorious. Plus, it's right next door to Chelios' bar. Huge bonus!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
The new Magic Arena has a separate shopping area 2?

No it's all inside. But there's basically a pseudo-amusement park type vibe inside. There's just way too much crap to do away from the court with the food court (the food is actually amazing though) and everything else. There are huge retail stores in the middle of the center and I really don't see the point of them, but there are a ton of people inside of them all game long. There are TV monitors and bars (really really nice bars) all around the arena and people mingle outside of the court itself. It's just a weird experience.

I don't understand how most stadiums screw up restrooms so bad. My biggest gripe in general and it seems to be getting worse over time and not better. There shouldn't be a need to put in speakers in the bathroom so you can listen to the radio broadcast of the game while taking a piss, but it's needed because you put in like a half dozen stalls and you're stuck waiting out in a corridor for 5 minutes waiting to take a piss in the middle of the third quarter. Good luck getting in at half time.

Dragon

Banned
darkside31337 said:

You mean the troughs? Yeah they're awful. I'm a tall dude who's sat behind some obstructions in Fenway and been fine. I like how close you can be to the actual field in a lot of places around the park. Unlike newer stadiums. The atmosphere really adds to Fenway a lot. Saying it's nostalgia really doesn't make much sense as it's not like I was going to games at Fenway when it was 1918.

eznark

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
You mean the troughs? Yeah they're awful. I'm a tall dude who's sat behind some obstructions in Fenway and been fine. I like how close you can be to the actual field in a lot of places around the park. Unlike newer stadiums. The atmosphere really adds to Fenway a lot. Saying it's nostalgia really doesn't make much sense as it's not like I was going to games at Fenway when it was 1918.

Wut? Just about every new stadium is built with fans much closer to the action.

Fenway is a shit hole. Since they started cramming seats into every nook and cranny the place now feels absurdly cramped in addition to old and decrepit. At least Wrigley (also shit) is comfortable to watch a ball game at.

Both are pretty rad if you only go once but are awful if you go more than that.

Dragon

Banned
Wrigley is fucking falling apart so LOL at you.

Fenway is fine, when was the last time you actually went? Is it the best park in the majors? Of course not. But saying it sucks except for nostalgia is stupid.

eznark

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Wrigley is fucking falling apart so LOL at you.

Fenway is fine, when was the last time you actually went? Is it the best park in the majors? Of course not. But saying it sucks except for nostalgia is stupid.

2010. I guess maybe they removed 15% of the seats and updated everything in the last offseason, but I think not.

It's a hole that they pack with as many people as possible.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm not saying it totally sucks, there are other stadiums that are sadly worse (Both Florida parks are a total joke). It's just got a reputation of being a great stadium when it's a below average stadium that has a great tradition to it.

If Boston got a new stadium people would mourn the loss of Fenway for maybe a year then realize how much more awesome a new stadium is in comparison to Fenway.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
I'm not saying it totally sucks, there are other stadiums that are sadly worse (Both Florida parks are a total joke). It's just got a reputation of being a great stadium when it's a below average stadium that has a great tradition to it.

If Boston got a new stadium people would mourn the loss of Fenway for maybe a year then realize how much more awesome a new stadium is in comparison to Fenway.

If they put it out at Patriot Place (which has been discussed) they will have an amazingly beautiful stadium but people will never get over it.

Oh, Branca, before you ask I have been to Fenway a couple dozen times. Third only to Milwaukee County Stadium and Miller Park.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Maxim726X said:
So Heyman thinks that Alderson is going to ask the Phillies for Brown.

LOL.

He's having trade talks with the same GM who gave Ryan Howard a 5 year / 125 million (really its 5/135) dollar contract extension that doesn't even kick in until next season.

I'm surprised to be honest that he's only asking for Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom